IGNORED

AudioLinux and NUC Troubleshooting and Tuning

rickca
Message added by austinpop

Summary of useful findings and recommendations

This section will be a living repository of useful info from this thread. It's very similar to a wiki and will be maintained by a small group of thread moderators.

Before you get started please refer to the Audio-Linux website to ensure you have the latest info and the proper versions of the OS. Audio-Linux.com  

**** Updated for AL 1.30 menu 118 or later.

"First Run" setup for headless.  

Setup your NUC with a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to the NUC BIOS settings.  From the menu note the IP address of the machine to SSH into.  From a MAC the macOS terminal program supports SSH:

324537708_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_02_19PM.thumb.png.739dc7f9cdb05e04da806c7c66877332.png

Then it is simpler to cut and paste into the terminal session. After entering the password for the audiolinuxuser you will be presented with the AL headless menu:

1518375894_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_04_18PM.thumb.png.a7b2867a163f8f014e56e52ff69f94b4.png

Option 8 takes you to the command line for the following basic setup.  You will need to be the Root user for this setup and the su command first:

su

Fix the time zone:  (this is my timezone - look in directory /usr/share/zoneinfo)

timedatectl set-timezone America/Chicago

Setup and Start NTP daemon (to keep the system time in sync)

*** the config file is now properly filled in.

Now Start the daemon

timedatectl set-ntp true

NOTE: Sometimes the system takes a little while to get synced up.

Set hostname  (this provides a unique name for the machine on your network.  Replace <NAME> with your chosen name)

hostnamectl set-hostname <NAME> 

Once the above items are set up your machine is ready to be configured for say a Roon bridge/endpoint. That is done using the AL menu.  To return to the menu do the following commands.

exit

menu

----------------------------------

For most of us, the following basic settings are key.

From the configuration menu:

6. START and enable Roonbridge

15. SET Realtime Priority to extreme

16. ENABLE ramroot (reboot after)

Return to the main menu and reboot the NUC using 

11 Reboot

------------------

Roon Server setup is a bit more complex and we will cover it completely a bit later.  The key is where you are booting from and where the Roon database is stored.  In general; say a 32gb OPTANE "SSD".

• You have to partition the SSD into a boot drive and a storage drive.  
  • The transfer the USB stick install to the boot partition.  
  • Reboot from the boot partition.  
  • Do the basic setup. Timezone and name
  • Transfer the Roon Database to the storage drive
  • Start the Roon Server

----------------- 

The machine will reboot and from the display attached to the NUC you can watch it boot up and load into RAM.  Once the AudioLinux menu is showing the endpoint should be available in Roon.    This completes the basic startup sequence.  The system is ready to start testing.    

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

The last release of Audiolinux was tested with the hqplayer version available at that moment.

A full system update should fix this problem.

I think I will release new versions in the next days.

In the meantime this week I have made a lot of updates to available kernels and menus,

Kernels RT, AMD RT, RT BFQ have been updated to 5.17.x with the new AMD scaling governor. Today I will release a new menu supporting amd_pstate

For example:

Added new Audio extra menu and moved some options from Expert and Audio menu in Web Interface 1
(in the next menu also Web Interface 2 will be updated)
Some improvements in the Diretta installation script (Audio extra menu)
Added new kernel XANMOD RT to kernel update script. Now available kernels are:
1) Audiolinux RT is the standard last realtime kernel (default)
2) Audiolinux AMD RT is a realtime kernel optimized for zen 3 AMD processors with graysky patch
3) Audiolinux RT BFQ is a realtime kernel with Budget Fair Queueing patch
4) Audiolinux RT LTS is the standard stable Long Term Support realtime kernel
5) Audiolinux XANMOD RT is Long Term Support realtime kernel with Xanmod patches
Kernels 2, 3, 5 have also alsa base sampling frequencies extended up to 1536 kHz, alsa aloop patch enabling up to 1536 kHz PCM sampling rate, NUMA disabled for better performance, tickrate set to 1000, support for some extra DAC

AudioLinux --> https://www.audio-linux.com

developer of AudioLinux realtime OS

• 5 months later...

Hi Piero,

Any feedback from Audiolinux users yet who have upgraded from Roon 1.8 to 2.0?

I have been watching Roon Community and it does not look good for users of Roon in general. Lots of issues, especially with the new ARC product.

Just wanted to check before taking the plunge since Audiolinux running Roon 1.8 on my endpoint has been rock solid for me.

Thanks!

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

4 hours ago, mourip said:

Hi Piero,

Any feedback from Audiolinux users yet who have upgraded from Roon 1.8 to 2.0?

I have been watching Roon Community and it does not look good for users of Roon in general. Lots of issues, especially with the new ARC product.

Just wanted to check before taking the plunge since Audiolinux running Roon 1.8 on my endpoint has been rock solid for me.

Thanks!

No issues here. I haven't tried ARC, but expect one would need to open the firewall.

Maybe Piero can tell us how?

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2022 at 11:47 AM, lmitche said:

No issues here. I haven't tried ARC, but expect one would need to open the firewall.

Maybe Piero can tell us how?

I upgraded my Windows2019 Roon Core server and my Audiolinux NUC headless Roon endpoint without issues. Same with iPhone, iPad and Windows 11 remote devices. Have not tried ARC as I really have no use for it.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

• 4 months later...
Anyone experienced system freeze at BIOS post screen while trying to install AudioLinux from USB installer?

Two different computers (one based on an older Intel DT2800DN board and the second one based on the current Biostar J4105NHU board) freeze at BIOS post screen when the USB pendrive with AudioLinux installer is inserted.

1. I have followed the troubleshooting guide point by point.
2. I can install (via another USB bootable pendrive) without any problems:

- latest Ubuntu linux
- latest Roon ROCK
- Windows 10 (after checking the secure boot option box required by Windows)

It is only the USB drive with AudioLinux installer that makes the system feeze.

I have tried different USB drive (first USB3.0, then USB2.0), but that made no difference.

Both drives are OK, since the installer DOES work on an Intel NUC 7i7.

It is only the Intel DT2800DN and Biostar J4105 boards that crash. Unfortunately, those are boards I was intending to use the AudioLinux on.

Any ideas?

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3