IGNORED

John Atkinson: Yes, MQA IS Elegant...

18 minutes ago, mansr said:

He has two options, either provide a believable explanation for his actions, or stop acting like a shill. As long as he does neither, the suspicions will continue to mount.

I've stayed away from the MQA debate, and personally want nothing to do with the format.  I have gone so far as to intentionally not purchase products that have invested in it.

Having said all that, why should Atkinson not be able to advocate (or shill) for the format, if he believes in it?  The best way to counter the advocacy is by providing more information (as you have done).  

3 minutes ago, wgscott said:

Having said all that, why should Atkinson not be able to advocate (or shill) for the format, if he believes in it?

Of course he can do that. He just shouldn't act all offended when people start speculating over his motivations. If you act like a shill, you'll be regarded like a shill. It's that simple.

11 minutes ago, wgscott said:

I've stayed away from the MQA debate, and personally want nothing to do with the format.  I have gone so far as to intentionally not purchase products that have invested in it.

Having said all that, why should Atkinson not be able to advocate (or shill) for the format, if he believes in it?  The best way to counter the advocacy is by providing more information (as you have done).  

A shill means he's being paid to do it without revealing it, which would be very dishonest. That's not the same as advocacy. The assumption in his magazine is that we are getting the honest opinion of the writer. 

I don't see any reason to think he's a shill. I do think he (and some other writers) are exhibiting some kind of unreasonable enthusiasm for MQA. Seems to me more of a type of groupthink by the TAS, Stereophile, etc.  establishment, because they realize MQA success could indirectly  benefit them. It wouldn't be the first time that's happened in the last few decades. The audio press has tried to lead us astray more than once. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

3 hours ago, christopher3393 said:

So, mav,....are you asking for bank statements? availbility of all communications regarding MQA? a special prosecutor?  :)

I need to ask my daughter since she is a Federal prosecutor for the DOJ , the truth would be nice instead of the kool aid response provided to them by the secret facebook club.   ?

The Truth Is Out There

6 hours ago, John_Atkinson said:

This accusation has been made before on this website. For the record, I do not benefit personally in any way whatsoever if MQA succeeds nor do I suffer in any way if it fails.

I am disappointed that Chris Connaker allows such false accusations to be posted to this site.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

Stereophile and JA in particular had my technical respect all these years in the contents published in the magazine.  The first time I had my doubts was the series of articles by Jim Austin on MQA.  His use of so called technical details in digital audio was certainly unique, to say it kindly.  To evaluate a digital audio system with an apparently non band limited impulse passing through filters and looking at their ringing is certainly not what digital audio is about.  Any competent audio engineer or audiophile knows that with the proper anti aliasing filter at the ADC stage, such ringing will not occur down stream.

The recent article by JA using various ADCs, DACs and SRC software further confuses the issue of what a good digital recording should be from a time and frequency domain stand points, by talking about filter ringing caused by improperly band limited signals entering the digital recording/reproduction chain.

JA can do use a favor by giving us an article on digital audio done well.

8 hours ago, John_Atkinson said:

This accusation has been made before on this website. For the record, I do not benefit personally in any way whatsoever if MQA succeeds nor do I suffer in any way if it fails.

I am disappointed that Chris Connaker allows such false accusations to be posted to this site.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

8 hours ago, mansr said:

Then why do you seem to be so deeply committed to promoting it at every opportunity, no matter how ridiculous it makes you look?

This theatrical disappointment that Chris "allows" such discussion (you've been on the site long enough to know that Chris has a very light hand when moderating), and the ad hominem response (I don't care if John is the next MQA CEO,; the technical criticisms you have provided are to my mind far more informative and effective) do neither of you credit.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

to all the comments above and to JA's awful and horrible hurt, the resounding question is more likely better elaborated than I but why is Stereophile and, of course, that other audio universe, Absolute Sound, opening so much print space within each article to endlessly mention, advocate, perhaps shill, for an audio technology that almost no one in the world has heard about but,  more importantly, to their major audience who have, we have hardly have any interest in it.

This whole episode has exposed the free-equipment no charge unethical writing of these reviewers.   Always made a point of listening to and then buying most of the musical recommends from J. V.  Serinus  until you read that most of that stuff he has is just given to him.  I have to work hard, well hardish as an overly and  horrible privileged white hetero male can be, just haven't yet self identified as non binary, ;-), to even think of whatever stereo products I may buy but these darlings just get this stuff dropped out of sky and freely admit it. Our bearded buddy at Audiostream is simply shameless in this regard..

So you dance with who brung ya!

2 hours ago, wdw said:

Always made a point of listening to and then buying most of the musical recommends from J. V.  Serinus  until you read that most of that stuff he has is just given to him.  I

I like his record reviews and have bought recordings on his recommendations. Have stopped given his equipment reviews much thought because: a)  he seems to never have heard an MQA recording that isn't the most fantastic thing in the history of audio, and b) because in a recent review of Bricasti he amps he connected them up in a way not approved by the manufacturer and then complained that they didn't sound like they should in the review. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

22 minutes ago, firedog said:

I like his record reviews and have bought recordings on his recommendations. Have stopped given his equipment reviews much thought because: a)  he seems to never have heard an MQA recording that isn't the most fantastic thing in the history of audio, and b) because in a recent review of Bricasti he amps he connected them up in a way not approved by the manufacturer and then complained that they didn't sound like they should in the review. 

JvS is an utter charlatan as a reviewer. Just read his Jadis mono block debacle. He would not have a clue how to properly set up a system with a gun to his head...clearly he can’t hear his way iut of a paper bag either.

On 9/3/2018 at 4:17 PM, mansr said:

For a solution to be elegant, there must first be a problem.

That really sums it up.  MQA  says the problem is temporal smearing, but they don't do the obvious and show examples of DAC output where ringing can be seen in properly recorded music (Archimago shows examples where ringing can be seen - in recordings with clipped peaks).  If they are talking about a different issue they don't explain what it is.  They want to claim that they are on to a whole new era of signal processing and have given this a name: post-Shannon.  And then MQA's solution to temporal smearing applies leaky filtering with phase shift, so that it actually introduces smearing.  It's not elegant. It's Orwellian.  Really sad or hilarious, depending on whether MQA succeeds or not.

1 minute ago, psjug said:

MQA  says the problem is temporal smearing, but they don't do the obvious and show examples of DAC output where ringing can be seen in properly recorded music (Archimago shows examples where ringing can be seen - in recordings with clipped peaks).

So-called ringing is not smearing. That's the first mistake.

11 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

TAS in particular, and Stereophile to a degree, always (or at least for a long time) have been defined subjective, impressionistic listening tests. This means that they will tend not to say that new or interesting-sounding technologies, upgrades, or innovations don't make any sonic difference. The reason is simple: If you feel that MQA doesn't improve the sound, is that because MQA isn't all it's cracked up to be, or because your hearing and listening skills (or your reference rig) are not developed and discerning enough to detect the differences? If someone else, especially at a peer/rival publication, claims to hear a difference after you've just published a piece saying you couldn't hear a difference, you risk demoting your reputation.

I am not saying that reviewers consciously think in these terms - in fact, I would guess they don't. Instead, I would guess they feel that they go into this stuff with an open mind, and consistently are "struck" or "surprised" to find that they do in fact hear differences.

IMHO - and I stress this is just my opinion - they underestimate the power of confirmation bias (which doesn't have to manifest itself as a conscious "I need to hear a difference here to burnish my golden-ears rep" feeling), and they overestimate the reliability of human auditory memory when it comes to fine details over extended listening periods in a non-A/B (or non-A/B/X) situation.

My point here is that their cheerleading for MQA is not necessarily that much of an outlier from their usual approach to tech claims made by manufacturers and equipment designers. The overall attitude required to compare power cords, and to compare 96kHz vs 192kHz sample rates, is very similar.

In other words or in this case a picture.

Sheep.jpg