IGNORED

Understanding Sample Rate

1 hour ago, semente said:

Could you point me to the believers' dictionary?

Sure. But this  one isn't true. I has to be in Arabic. Seriously - prevents it getting gradually screwed up by dopey new translations, each one based on a previous one,  and ego trips by 'scholars' with their latest new (mis)interpretations. So I'm told, I've never looked at it. It's how  a perfectly believable parrot in the Garden of Eden got changed into a talking snake. And it was an olive, not an apple:

!B5qglT!!2k~$(KGrHqEOKjMEyNf)Wz(GBMuiyd1vmQ~~_3.JPG

23 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Regarding sampling rate, there was a time when I was fully on board with the notion that 44.1kHz was simply outdated and a reflection of consumer electronics processing power and data capacity of the era of CDs.

But I've gained a newfound respect for good old Redbook over the last 3 years or so.  Not saying higher rates and bit depths don't have merit depending on where/when they're used, but I am saying I could live with Redbook only if I had to.

Ditto. 16 bit can do well as long as the recorded data density  doesn't push the envelope of the recording medium.  I'd rather have a well engineered 16 bit recording than a poorly engineered 24 bit recording. But if its well recorded and dynamic, 24 bit is a must for stereo sound. The additional bits  gain from 192 khz  is a minor SQ improvement in comparison

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

26 minutes ago, mansr said:

What have I ever done to you? Seriously?

Well, I do like you and question just about anything I'll post. Seriously I think you have a LOT to offer, but instead of giving advices you guide members by giving them your "honest" approach as a proffessional IMO. More of own experience in your own setup and less theory in your EE world will show people what you truly believe in or not.

🎛️  Audio System  

8 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Well, I do like you but you question just about anything I'll post. Seriously I think you have a LOT to offer, but instead of giving advices you guide members by giving them your "honest" approach as a proffessional IMO. More of own experience in your own setup and less theory in your EE world will show people what you truly believe in or not.

You have to have a relevant professional - try asking your fortune teller to design a  Boeing 747.

6 minutes ago, mansr said:

I hardly ever respond to your posts, so I wonder what gave you that idea. In fact, I completely ignore most of the threads where you are active.

I agree, but that was'nt the case in the past. I just know from own experience that you question just about anything that does'nt fit into your EE book. If you just let some of it pass there will be no problem. Some things is not yet explained in books. 

🎛️  Audio System  

9 hours ago, mansr said:

None of those things make him an authority on digital data storage and transmission.

He has never claimed to be, and has in the HFC forum on several occasions asked more suitably qualified members for their insights. This also happened with the original Comparison .wav files that I sent him.

OTOH, in C.A. we often see some E.Es making dogmatic statements outside their normal area of in-depth expertise !

Incidentally, attached is some information  about the earlier Sony 100khz Super Tweeters that I referred to previously.

http://www.ebay.it/itm/131535507587

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

1 hour ago, Brinkman Ship said:

I can tell you that after meeting a few mastering engineers at a few electronics shows, 24 bit, 44.1 kHz is considered the new standard output for most new releases, across all genres, including classical. Anything over is seen as unnecessary.

Btw, I am just passing what I heard, I don't know. But I am slowly coming around to your way of thinking.

In my experience using a DAW, dithering from 32 to 24 bits results in little quantization noise.  32 to 16 results in much more, which is why I assume that 24/44.1 would be a preferred mezzanine format.

Just now, tmtomh said:

If he never has claimed to be an authority on digital data storage and transmission, then that actually weakens your argument, because you repeatedly have invoked his authority precisely on the alleged sonic impacts of digital data storage and transmission.

It doesn't make the slightest difference, as the series of DBTs weren't all performed by him.

You don't need to know all of the technicalities of what you are listening to, just be able to correctly identify the different versions under proper  DBT conditions.

Neither does it mean that Barry, Peter, Mani, Anthony(acg) ,Roch (elcorso), Teresa ,Claude, coxhaus, Geoff from NYC(Siulverlight) and quite a few other C.A. members weren't correct with their confirming reports either !

Or Cookie Marenco either, who has been saying similar quite independently for years..

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

3. bonehead conduction

Do you conduct Symphony Orchestras too ? ;)

Hasn't this thread passed it's " use by date" yet ?