IGNORED

Understanding Sample Rate

10 minutes ago, sandyk said:

No I don't.

Spacecadet has insulted M.C by questioning his qualifications ...

Spacehound questioned MC's qualifications. You, on the other hand, insulted the man (Spacehound). Our host's views on this are quite clear and often enforced. 

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

1 hour ago, mansr said:

That may be, but it's not an option on any DAC I know of. 

But you/we have the option to choose DSD128 up-sampling (instead of DSD256 and DSD512). 

1 hour ago, mansr said:

If moving the noise up in frequency makes the filters perform better, perhaps overall performance is improved even if there is slightly higher jitter.

Understood, a game of trade-offs, like many things in this hobby.

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

Yes its true that all else equal slower clocks have lower close in phase error — however what the optimal DSD rate is for SQ is a much much more complicated question.

Understood. Andreas actually doesn't limit the issues (as he sees it) to clocks though. He says "It turns out there are physical limitations such as electronic component speeds, finite clock slopes, etc., that limit the amount of performance gain we could expect from raising the sample rate above a certain threshold."

I guess the devil is in the details of which electronic components he's speaking of and "etc"

12 minutes ago, Don Hills said:

Spacehound questioned MC's qualifications. You, on the other hand, insulted the man (Spacehound). Our host's views on this are quite clear and often enforced. 

I am well aware of the Forum's requirements, however it appears to be quite O.K. to ridicule and insult both myself and M.C. at every opportunity.

Is it any wonder why we rarely see informative posts any more by leading industry figures ,?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

2 minutes ago, sandyk said:

I am well aware of the Forum's requirements,

Yes, you manage to stay just on the right side of the line.

however it appears to be quite O.K. to ridicule and insult both myself and M.C. at every opportunity.

No more often than you ridicule and insult all engineers. Seems fair.

Is it any wonder why we rarely see informative posts any more by leading industry figures ,?

Depends on your definition of informative. And of leading. And industry. And figure.

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

An arrogant and Pompous Ass like yourself is also a perfect target for derision. As is so often the case in this forum, it's a case of " Cut down the tall poppies " Syndrome by envious little nobodies !

Perhaps you were short changed at birth too ???

Here's the deal, several people around here may agree with you, but that doesn't make it OK to personally attack the spacehound. 

This is your warning. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

49 minutes ago, sandyk said:

I am well aware of the Forum's requirements, however it appears to be quite O.K. to ridicule and insult both myself and M.C. at every opportunity.

OK, I missed this one. You're very aware of the rules but did it anyway?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 hours ago, Spacehound said:

Martin Colloms

He's a British self-proclaimed  'expert'  on  audio and the  unknowing Captain of sandyk's Pretorian Guard, (which has the regimental  motto  of  "Many  Members"). He was granted this eminent position   as he is rumoured  to have  agreed with sandyk once, but only 'statistically'.

Also at the top of his website he says he is an 'Expert Witness'. As he doesn't say what on we can only assume it's everything.

Thus he is the  perfect target for derision :D 

Chris

So posts  like this from Spacehound are perfectly acceptable ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

16 hours ago, mansr said:

The weak part of the iFi DACs is the analogue output section.

The new Pro-Ject S2 Pre Digital DAC sounds better than the iDSD BL I had (only to my ears of course, highly subjective) - less space taken up internally (for battery) allows for bigger and better power supply/regulation and analogue sections.

It's MQA certified though and I know you don't want Bob getting $1 (can't blame you) but apart from that, it's a fantastic DAC.

Miska's measurements are all positive too (performing best with DSD512).

5 hours ago, sandyk said:

No I don't.

Spacecadet has insulted M.C by questioning his qualifications , when a simple Google search would have provided a great deal more information including the facts that he is a qualified E.E. , Consultant, and even a well respected speaker designer

"Arrogant and pompous ass like you" - sandyk about Spacehound.

"So he claims. AFAIK he has never been known to make anything"  - Spacehound about The Colloms.

That's not an insult at all, it's just taking the piss. He's a ****ing Pom too :P 

And there's not much about him on the  'net except his own claims.

Has he made anything? Or just wrote a book? "Consultant"?  What on? It's not a qualification.

I was asked how to catch a trout once. Does that make me one? If so, bow down and kiss my ass.

Anyway, I thought you didn't like EE's?  You're always rabbiting on about how useless thy are. You even called me one,, and you meant it as an insult :D:D:D  

6 hours ago, mansr said:

Yes, you manage to stay just on the right side of the line.

More like for some mysterious  (though not  that mysterious) reason he gets away with insults that would have had  anyone else booted out the door years ago.

He insults almost everyone who  has the temerity to disagree with his sometimes 'unusual'  ideas.

(I well-remember what he said about you just the other day)

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

can we ridicule groups of hominids?

We and the supporting  cottage  'industry' already are.

"Only the intelligent can afford to make fun of themselves" - Einstein. 

Believing myself, maybe falsely, to be so,  I live by that statement  almost 100% of the time. It real riles  Mrs Spacehound.

A bit off topic, but while MC has a bit of an ego, the man also has some achievements. He co-founded Monitor Audio, later had Colloms Electroacoustics, a consultancy company active in design and forensics, IIRC. MC was responsible for a number of speaker and amp designs in the 80s and 90s, including Celestion and Aura. These are just the things I happen to know, as a relative outsider.

Why Spacehound’s untempered vitriol towards these British audio personalities? Is he the Angry Old Man of the UK hifi scene?

19 hours ago, Spacehound said:

We've got some  special forces too. Here's two of them at Paul Hines cottage getting the Iranian guy's power supply money back  to enhance 'friendly trade'.maxresdefault.jpg

I just spat my coffee out laughing. Classic and probably the only way the Iranian guy will get the result he wants.