IGNORED

Understanding Sample Rate

2 hours ago, Confused said:

How big is your shed?:|  In other news, I have just had the need to use some toilet paper, and with my curiosity peaked by your post, I checked for the country of manufacture, and all it says is "Manufactured for Waitrose", which while quite posh, leaves me none the wiser.  It's pretty good paper though, I'm very happy with it.

Sainsbury's toilet paper says it's manufactured in the UK.

23 minutes ago, audiventory said:

Thank you for information.
I understand, that you meant.
I will think how to limit text panel at my site.
Tops are pixels?

Sorry, it means maximum.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

38 minutes ago, mansr said:

Sainsbury's toilet paper says it's manufactured in the UK.

You've got talking toilet paper?  Very impressive, who says the Brits can't make good stuff. 

Anyway, after marveling at just how far a thread can go off topic, I think I will drop this one now.:|

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

13 hours ago, sandyk said:

Why would it ?

My understanding is that she is referring to a physical copy of a CD with identical binary data.

IIRC, Blue Coast still sells high quality " Mastering" CD-Rs which Cookie reports as sounding better, and supplies for CD orders.

MAM Gold CD-Rs also sound better to me than cheaper generic CD-Rs

Oh dear.  Is she playing the roll of Ted Denney or does she innocently believe such is the case?

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

8 hours ago, Confused said:

KEF (Muon, Blade and Reference made in UK)

Are the LS50's part of the Reference line, and thus made in the UK?

Lately, I have been thinking of joining the herd and getting a pair of LS50's for the office...

20 minutes ago, crenca said:

Are the LS50's part of the Reference line, and thus made in the UK?

Lately, I have been thinking of joining the herd and getting a pair of LS50's for the office...

They list them under the heading of "Flagship" speakers, along with the Muon and Blade, but the LS50 and LS50W are made in China.

I've had a pair of LS50s in the Titanium finish as part of my bedroom/computer system for a bit over a year, and love them.  I use them in nearfield, unless I'm listening casually while lying in bed.  I've been a KEF fan since the late 1980s, when I first heard the Reference 107.  I never owned a pair of those, sadly, but I have quite a few other KEF speakers, as well as a pair of the M400 headphones.

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

1 minute ago, mansr said:

I think she actually believes it. Remember she still uses analogue mixers and tape, digitising only the final master. As far as I know, she has no education in science or engineering, so she's probably simply extrapolating her experience with analogue formats to digital. The quality of analogue tape really does matter, and in her mind, presumably, CDs are just another format subject to the same rules. The truth is that her expertise at recording music (and she seems to be quite good at that) simply doesn't mean much when it comes to the technical side of things.

Ted Denney, on the other hand, I can't see being anything but a charlatan. There is no way he doesn't know the technobabble he spouts is gibberish.

Yep, I believe there are many fine people in the recording industry who do not understand digital and have a kind of innocent, subjectivised belief.  Some of us objectivists would try to make an example of sorts out of these people but that would be wrong I think.  Her recordings are very good and "natural" to my ears.  I just wish there was more content that I liked.

17 minutes ago, mansr said:

I think she actually believes it. Remember she still uses analogue mixers and tape, digitising only the final master. As far as I know, she has no education in science or engineering, so she's probably simply extrapolating her experience with analogue formats to digital. The quality of analogue tape really does matter, and in her mind, presumably, CDs are just another format subject to the same rules. The truth is that her expertise at recording music (and she seems to be quite good at that) simply doesn't mean much when it comes to the technical side of things.

She does say that she and her staff blind test listening to different formats and different sample rates, including wav and flac, and can hear differences. She does say the differences are very small, though - unlike some audiophiles, who claim the differences are "night and day".

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Sorry to be a noob here. Who is this person in the recording industry that is referred to as 'she' and 'her' in the last few pages of this topic? I did try and read back as well as use search tools to find the answer myself but wasn't successful. 

I'd like to seek out her work and have a listen myself. 

15 minutes ago, buonassi said:

Sorry to be a noob here. Who is this person in the recording industry that is referred to as 'she' and 'her' in the last few pages of this topic? I did try and read back as well as use search tools to find the answer myself but wasn't successful. 

Cookie Marenco of Blue Coast Records. The recordings are excellent.

15 minutes ago, buonassi said:

Kookie Cookie Marenco

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cookie_Marenco

4 hours ago, crenca said:

Oh dear.  Is she playing the roll of Ted Denney or does she innocently believe such is the case?

Why do you think Telarc, Mobile Fidelity etc. use " Gold" discs. ? It's not just because they can charge more for them, they have better readability, just as Blu Spec CD and SHM formats from Japan do, AND sound a little better with most affordable players. In the case of players such as the expensive Marantz SA11, the differences are still there, but not as pronounced.

I could also attach a report by M.C. about comparison .wav files created using both generic and MAM Gold CD-Rs, but  it would be a waste of my time, as nothing anybody says will ever change a closed mind like yours apparently is !

I am however prepared to forward a copy of the report via a PM to interested members who have shown that their minds aren't welded shut.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

1 hour ago, mansr said:

He says a lot of things. (Barry Diament)

So do you, but they aren't all correct ! :P

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

2 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Why do you think Telarc, Mobile Fidelity etc. use " Gold" discs. ? It's not just because they can charge more for them, they have better readability, just as Blu Spec CD and SHM formats from Japan do, AND sound a little better..

I could also attach a report by M.C. about comparison .wav files created using both generic and MAM Gold CD-Rs, but  it would be a waste of my time, as nothing anybody says will ever change a closed mind like yours apparently is !

I am however prepared to forward a copy of the report via a PM to interested members who have shown that their minds aren't welded shut.

Just post your findings anyway, to the benefit of the community members please.  There are always going to be those who silently agree, and those who overtly disagree.  and Vice versa.

3 hours ago, firedog said:

She does say the differences are very small, though - unlike some audiophiles, who claim the differences are "night and day".

I don't claim that the differences are "night and day" , but give a small but worthwhile improvement at a quite modest cost.

3 minutes ago, buonassi said:

Just post your findings anyway, to the benefit of the community members please.  There are always going to be those who silently agree, and those who overtly disagree.  and Vice versa.

No. Much of this type material has been previously posted, and as usual ignored by the resident know-it-alls, so I will not be posting it in open forum. Those interested can PM  me on  the condition that they do not repost the provided material, which was sent to me by email by Martin Colloms.

I am not prepared to get into yet another drawn out shit fight with the usual suspects, who see everything in rigid Black and White.

when-you-reduce-life-to-black-and-white-you-never-see-rainbows-quote-1.jpg

14 minutes ago, sandyk said:

I don't claim that the differences are "night and day" , but give a small but worthwhile improvement at a quite modest cost.

I wasn’t referring specifically to your claims, but what she says about all rates and formats. It’s written pretty much every album page at her site where you can choose what file and format to download.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

24 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Why do you think Telarc, Mobile Fidelity etc. use " Gold" discs. ? It's not just because they can charge more for them, they have better readability, just as Blu Spec CD and SHM formats from Japan do, AND sound a little better with most affordable players. In the case of players such as the expensive Marantz SA11, the differences are still there, but not as pronounced....

I know you believe this.  It got me thinking, I am down to a cheap commodity LG usb powered/connected disc reader connected to my computer via usb with not a decrapifier in sight.  This thing had to be made in China with parts that cost less than $2. My belief is that, if I ripped the same CD (regular - neither "blue" nor "gold") over and over again for the lifetime of the unit (for argument sake, let's say 1 year of man hours) the checksums would agree >99.5% of the time.  Even in the cases where they would not, the stray bit here or there would be inaudible in all but a handful of rips.

Anyone ever actually published the results of such a test?

1 hour ago, mansr said:

I won't say it's impossible, but it should be a rare exception. If the player has trouble tracking or maintaining focus, or if the error rate is abnormally high, it could maybe, possibly cause some noise on a poorly designed player. Any two spec-compliant discs played on decent gear should sound the same.

Is it possible for a large number of such errors to cause a difference in SQ due to interpolations not being correct?