IGNORED

Understanding Sample Rate

not published, but I once ripped & reripped a CD many, many times and could not hear a difference

this was on a system with a Cal Audio CD player with PowerBoss, I think I had the Sunfire amp then, and Sonic Frontiers line One pre - either Vandersteen 2c or 2ce or maybe Maggie 1.5QR speakers - not as good as what I have now...

1 minute ago, Ralf11 said:

Is it possible for a large number of such errors to cause a difference in SQ due to interpolations not being correct?

A  problem with most USB powered portable writers is that they are very sensitive to the length , and sometimes the quality of the USB cable used to connect them, due mainly  to voltage drops in the cable and connectors. They also often need to use 2 USB sockets for power.

In this case, particularly if you use a short USB extender cable  to place the writer on a more stable surface, they can sometimes read the contents correctly using EAC for example, but fail during data extraction.

Using an external PSU can often reduce the numbers of errors as shown by the checksums, which can mean a lot of saved time when ripping large numbers of CDs.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

1 hour ago, beerandmusic said:

there is a chart that shows the most accurate cd drives for rips and i believe all of the top 100 on the list exceeded 98%

edit to add----

this isnt the actual list, ..i am sure a quick google will pop the list i was talking about.

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?37706-CD-DVD-Drive-Accuracy-List-2016

I find it difficult to interpret those  tables.

One wonders what they mean.   Inaccurate compared to what? All the others? There is no '100% accurate' reference.

Personally, using both EAC when I was obsessive  some time  ago and the JRiver one for two years or so since I was cured (equals not faffing around on pointless activities), only one in a hundred or better has come out less than 100%, and those I knew already made some odd but not intrusive sounds.  Some that have known  faults come out perfect.

I don't use any fancy power supplies, cables etc.

42 minutes ago, Spacehound said:

I find it difficult to interpret those  tables.

One wonders what they mean.   Inaccurate compared to what? All the others? There is no '100% accurate' reference.

Personally, using both EAC when I was obsessive  some time  ago and the JRiver one for two years or so since I was cured (equals not faffing around on pointless activities), only one in a hundred or better has come out less than 100%, and those I knew already made some odd but not intrusive sounds.  Some that have known  faults come out perfect.

I don't use any fancy power supplies, cables etc.

the perecentage is based on the final rips compared to known accurate rips in their database.

if it got 99% that means that 99 out of 100 rips were 100% accurate.

4 hours ago, mansr said:

I won't say it's impossible, but it should be a rare exception. If the player has trouble tracking or maintaining focus, or if the error rate is abnormally high, it could maybe, possibly cause some noise on a poorly designed player. Any two spec-compliant discs played on decent gear should sound the same.

He says a lot of things.

Dont want to beat a dead horse too much but it was Gordon Rankin from whom I first heard the SQ advantage of ripping a CD to hard drive and subsequent playback. He has a rather good technical background. 

@alfe has his own views ;) 

In in any case there are many people who have heard SQ differences between CD and hard drive, so CD to CD doesn’t seem too far a leap. 

I rip all my CD, DVD, SACD, blu Ray etc to harddrive so dont really think about this ??‍♂️

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

On 2/23/2018 at 1:03 PM, beerandmusic said:

anyone that thinks or suggests that the theorem can be used to suggest that all real life bandwidth of human hearing can be captured at 44.1K sample rate have misappropriated the theorem.

if they use it to suggest it is "good enough" then that is fine....where "good enough" is subjective.

There is an "exception" to the Nyquist sampling theorem although not in the direction you would like:

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/412593/why-compressive-sensing-will-change-the-world/

I have a buddy who is a math PhD who works in compressive sensing so I'm familiar with some of the concepts.

13 minutes ago, mansr said:

I have no respect whatsoever for Gordon Rankin. He is....etc.

Comparing a CD to a rip involves completely different hardware. A slight difference isn't entirely implausible. Two good discs played on the same player really shouldn't sound different. If they do, I'd call the player defective.

You aren't allowed to say that. Do I agree with what you say? You don't need to ask but I'm not telling 'voluntarily'.

(I changed what you posted so nobody can  get  it from my post. Being 'thoughtful' an' all.)

5 hours ago, sandyk said:

A  problem with most USB powered portable writers is that they are very sensitive to the length , and sometimes the quality of the USB cable used to connect them, due mainly  to voltage drops in the cable and connectors. They also often need to use 2 USB sockets for power.

In this case, particularly if you use a short USB extender cable  to place the writer on a more stable surface, they can sometimes read the contents correctly using EAC for example, but fail during data extraction.

Using an external PSU can often reduce the numbers of errors as shown by the checksums, which can mean a lot of saved time when ripping large numbers of CDs.

This I agree with and have experienced.  Some USB powered CD-drives can be pretty iffy.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

2 hours ago, patagent said:

There is an "exception" to the Nyquist sampling theorem although not in the direction you would like:

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/412593/why-compressive-sensing-will-change-the-world/

I have a buddy who is a math PhD who works in compressive sensing so I'm familiar with some of the concepts.

Yes, MQA hinted they were using sparse sampling (another word for compressive sensing) to achieve their reduction in file size while having hirez results.  Unfortunately it appears they are in fact doing nothing of the sort.  It was intended to provide cover for their lazy filters and the resulting aliasing in my opinion. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

17 minutes ago, esldude said:

I had a bright little lamp next to my TT in the days or yore.  So I could see when placing the needle in the groove and any dust that was on the disc.  When CD came out I found looking thru them at this little lamp that many had pin holes in the substrate of aluminum.  In time those mostly disappeared as CD manufacturing improved.  When I first purchased some gold MSFL discs why those things were nearly transparent and full of pinholes.  Lots and lots of them.  They still sounded fantastic, but I don't think the gold had much to do with it. If they weren't in storage I could take some pics of that. 

There were heaps of problems with earlier CDs from almost all suppliers, where they appeared to skimp on the aluminium layer, and you could see daylight through them.

I have previously posted a photo of an Elton John CD with large pinholes in it that caused it to become unplayable.

It was caused by the printing inks used at the time on the non reflective side.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

3 hours ago, mansr said:

I have no respect whatsoever for Gordon Rankin. He is a liar and a jerk. He'll say whatever will sell his latest snake oil.

Comparing a CD to a rip involves completely different hardware. A slight difference isn't entirely implausible. Two good discs played on the same player really shouldn't sound different. If they do, I'd call the player defective.

There are many people who have reported that even the same discs manufactured in different pressing plants can sound a little different. This includes Barry D. as well.

In the early days many preferred to obtain their CDs from overseas manufacturers such as Germany, rather than locally, because they sounded better !

35 minutes ago, esldude said:

This I agree with and have experienced.  Some USB powered CD-drives can be pretty iffy.  

If you are using a normal Windows PC you can  use something like the attached which has the power supply leads of both ports in parallel for a 1A current capability from 1 port at a time.  Each port's +5V lead  is bypassed by a 100uF electrolytic capacitor, which further reduces the USB noise on the +5V line. Replacing them with 100uF 16V Panasonic FM low ESR capacitors gives a further small improvement.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-5-2-USB-2-0-Port-HUB-HD-Audio-Output-Floppy-Drive-Expansion-Front-Panel-KK-/281849530542?hash=item419f8a88ae

10 hours ago, crenca said:

I know you believe this.  It got me thinking, I am down to a cheap commodity LG usb powered/connected disc reader connected to my computer via usb with not a decrapifier in sight.  This thing had to be made in China with parts that cost less than $2. My belief is that, if I ripped the same CD (regular - neither "blue" nor "gold") over and over again for the lifetime of the unit (for argument sake, let's say 1 year of man hours) the checksums would agree >99.5% of the time.  Even in the cases where they would not, the stray bit here or there would be inaudible in all but a handful of rips.

Anyone ever actually published the results of such a test?

as you can see above, dbpoweramp used to test error rates of CD rippers and publish the results. I don't know if they still do.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

51 minutes ago, mansr said:

Go look at his tone towards me and others in the MQA on Dragonfly thread, then tell me he isn't a jerk. People have been banned for less. In the same thread, he also made various factually incorrect statements about his own design. If that doesn't make him a liar, I don't know what does.

No sorry (not going to read it). He likely was defending his product which you were likely attacking but less assume we are all adults and in my mind, a single heated thread does not make someone a jerk. Particularly if someone is defending his own work.

Making "factually incorrect" statements does not make someone a liar, particularly when you've made an above unqualified statement. At most you could say that someone "has lied about X" ... there is an important difference. Words matter.

Look, I'm no fan of MQA primarily because I detest closed formats. I've made my views known. You've done a great job debunking the technical claims of MQA. Really great job. So why not keep it technical? No reason to let technical arguments spill over into personal.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

2 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Making "factually incorrect" statements does not make someone a liar,

No, not necessarily. If the person genuinely believes the statements to be true, he is not a liar. Someone who knowingly makes false statements is a liar. Since Gordon was talking about his own product, the only way for him to not be a liar is to be incompetent, which is just as good a reason to distrust him.

9 minutes ago, jabbr said:

No sorry (not going to read it). He likely was defending his product which you were likely attacking but less assume we are all adults and in my mind, a single heated thread does not make someone a jerk. Particularly if someone is defending his own work.

Making "factually incorrect" statements does not make someone a liar, particularly when you've made an above unqualified statement. At most you could say that someone "has lied about X" ... there is an important difference. Words matter.

My FTL spaceship is terrific. Only  a million dollars and seats two and a dog. Want one?

"Alternative facts" perhaps?