IGNORED

Stereophile Series on MQA Technology

4 hours ago, GUTB said:

Jim Austin's latest article seems to admit that MQA is lossy, as per CA's analysis. In that case, displaying the sample rate of the original in an MQA stream is both literally and subjectively deceitful. If MQA doesn't offer lossless, than don't suggest you do. We can content ourselves with "very good lossy" and if it sounds better than it sounds better.

Also. "Lossless compared to what?"....compared to a FLAC, ALAC, APE, or any other lossless format. Why is Jim tying himself into a rhetorical knot over this topic? Just say: "It's lossy" and then move on to discuss the nature of the lossy format.

What's "spectral components above 48kHz"?

Austin's argument is the same as MQA''s: that what is lost is only noise, so it is functionally (SQ wise) lossless. MQA also claims. of course. that their process improves the sound over the original. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Austin's claims are so much the same as MQA's the by line should have read, Written by Jim "Bob Stuart" Austin. 

This is so disingenuous it makes me want to vomit.  

Is it a Freudian slip that the origami illustration uses a dollar bill?  You can't make this stuff up.  

218mqaaustin.promo__0.jpg

Finally, we need to decide whether MQA is good or bad for music. We audiophiles probably won't get to decide MQA's fate, but we do get to have an opinion.—Jim Austin

So now though pitched initially toward audiophiles and sold as a boon for sound quality we are told, eh, audiophiles don't get to decide anyway.  They can have an opinion.  (for all the good it will do them is left unsaid)

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

22 minutes ago, Indydan said:

With that reasoning, one could argue that mp3 only discards the unimportant bits of music. So mp3 is also lossless in that sense. The mental gymnastics and wanking by the MQA people is disingenuous. 

Well just to be clear, the people who created mp3 didn't claim or think it was transparent.  It was an attempt to make it as close to transparent as possible while greatly reducing bit rate in the days when bandwidth was much more restricted. Improvements have made it near transparent at higher bit rates though still not transparent.  So they are throwing away bits of music less important rather than unimportant.  

But otherwise, yes I agree with you, it is a case of disingenuous mental gymnastics in the case of MQA. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Hi,

I did not read the articles, but did search for "blur" in each. Not one mention of temporal blur.

I thought that temporal blur (dispersion) was the crux of MQA - else it is a lossy encoding of the master.

So, do we get to read how MQA de-blurs the file (which will be interesting, since it is impossible)

Regards,

Shadders.

26 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

I did not read the articles, but did search for "blur" in each. Not one mention of temporal blur.

I thought that temporal blur (dispersion) was the crux of MQA - else it is a lossy encoding of the master.

So, do we get to read how MQA de-blurs the file (which will be interesting, since it is impossible)

Regards,

Shadders.

Agreed.  However, note this at the end of the article.  All will be revealed.....  (maybe)

Footnote 1: I'll be writing more about MQA's time-domain claims in future articles.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

3 hours ago, Thuaveta said:

For the curious, there's a wonderful talk on MQA right here. It might be a bit too reasonable and hydrogen-audio-ey for the wood-plug usb cable-set, but it's open-minded, structured, methodical, starts at the beginning and the "MQA is vaporware" thread is brought up.

I didn't bother listening after reading multiple inaccuracies and slants just on the introduction:

Tidal charges  more for MQA than non-MQA? 

You don't own a MQA download?

If you apply DSP after decoding you lose  the MQA license (?) and get < CD quality?

I wasn't aware any of those things were true, or at worst were true of MQA in particular.  Objective  and reasonable?  Just looks like a particularly clumsy prejudged kill job to me.  

5 hours ago, esldude said:

Is it a Freudian slip that the origami illustration uses a dollar bill?  You can't make this stuff up.  

218mqaaustin.promo__0.jpg

Yes, a very poor choice!  You would have thought someone on the ball would have used the piece of sheet music the dollar is sitting on for the origami!

Jim

1 hour ago, FredericV said:

The last part where he can't hear the noise added by MQA basically debunks the need for high-res:

image.thumb.png.86f4b11ff1c56f29d8473e79a8c7eebf.png

On a similar thought about high-res, but maybe a little off topic for this thread, you can imagine that the big (subscriber-wise) streaming services are watching the Tidal high-res "experiment" closely and seeing that there is apparently little interest from the public at large for high-res, hence Tidal's moribund subscriber numbers.  I don't know if I would hold my breath about the larger streaming service offering high-res unless it is packaged as MQA, the whole single inventory argument may have traction.

Jim

1 hour ago, Norton said:

If you apply DSP after decoding you lose  the MQA license (?) and get < CD quality?

You can only apply DSP properly after full decoding, but there is no decoder in existence that allows you to apply DSP to its output.

If you apply DSP before full decoding it will break the MQA code and will not allow you to decode.

The best one can do today is to take the unfolded digital output of Tidal or of a Node2 and apply DSP to that.

Even this was originally not allowed in the MQA paradigm.

1 hour ago, Fokus said:

You can only apply DSP properly after full decoding, but there is no decoder in existence that allows you to apply DSP to its output.

If you apply DSP before full decoding it will break the MQA code and will not allow you to decode.

The best one can do today is to take the unfolded digital output of Tidal or of a Node2 and apply DSP to that.

Even this was originally not allowed in the MQA paradigm.

But presumably you can apply whatever DSP you want to the decoded stream from Tidal desktop.  For example I can do whatever I want with the DSP options in my DAC once fed by Tidal MQA, the idea I then get  <  CD quality is patently absurd.

My real point though is that from the opening slide, it is clear that the scene is being set for propaganda rather than the objective analysis suggested above.  For example whether or not you own a download is a question that could be raised with any service or format (iTunes for example) it's nothing to do with MQA specifically.  Again the statement  that Tidal charge more for MQA, is disengenuous, Tidal charge more for all RBCD+ quality, not specifically for MQA.  By contrast with the scenario being hinted at here, most  Tidal subscribers seem pretty happy at getting MQA for no additional charge.

10 minutes ago, Norton said:

once fed by Tidal MQA, the idea I then get  <  CD quality is patently absurd.

In MQA parlance the output of Tidal is not "fully decoded".

Once truly fully decoded you no longer have access to the data, hence no DSP.

I want to give a shout out to @John_Atkinson for the "More on MQA" article.  As I said on your site, I could quibble (as some do above) but your recognition that MQA (or anything like it) is not just another audio product - that it has Net Neutrality like impact on consumers and their digital ecosystems is refreshing.

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

4 minutes ago, crenca said:

I want to give a shout out to @John_Atkinson for the "More on MQA" article.  As I said on your site, I could quibble (as some do above) but your recognition that MQA (or anything like it) is not just another audio product - that it has Net Neutrality like impact on consumers and their digital ecosystems is refreshing.

Thank you. But it is fair to note that I first wrote about MQA's potentially monopolistic benefit to the recorded music industry more than 3 years ago. I expanded on those thoughts for the essay in the February 2018 issue of Stereophile.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

And yet—the Inconvenient Truth that MQA sound better is still with us. Last night I bough the 192 and MQA versions of the same album from hiresaudio and the MQA version is CLEARLY better. Since the booklet confirms that the album was mastered in multi-channel 24/192 with a stereo and MQA version also to be released (Japanese audiophile label UNAMAS) we are fairly well assured both versions are from the same source by the same engineer. This was on a Pro-Ject S2 that does native MQA full unfolding.

The difference was not small, and anyone with a native MQA DAC has had these experiences. What I’m really interested in knowing is if this is really the result of time domain deblurring or if there’s some form of EQ trick being applied. None of the MQA haters seem to be able to account for this and I hope Jim Austin can.

14 minutes ago, GUTB said:

And yet—the Inconvenient Truth that MQA sound better is still with us. Last night I bough the 192 and MQA versions of the same album from hiresaudio and the MQA version is CLEARLY better. Since the booklet confirms that the album was mastered in multi-channel 24/192 with a stereo and MQA version also to be released (Japanese audiophile label UNAMAS) we are fairly well assured both versions are from the same source by the same engineer. This was on a Pro-Ject S2 that does native MQA full unfolding.

The difference was not small, and anyone with a native MQA DAC has had these experiences. What I’m really interested in knowing is if this is really the result of time domain deblurring or if there’s some form of EQ trick being applied.

You and others keep forgetting that there's also a chance that MQA produces one or several types of "euphonic" distortion which among other things add a perceptive sense of "enhanced spaciousness"... It's easier to like or dislike an aspect of reproduction than to describe it from an observationist perspective as objectively is as possible in a listening assessments.

What is an ear-bleeding distortion produced by a nasty cone resonance to you and me can be perceived as "liveliness" or "resolution" to others, just as flat frequency response can sound "boring".

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

I find it funny and sad that Stereophile is so rabid about MQA. They really don't seem to want to hear the negative comments and tests that other websites, manufacturers an audiophiles have about it, like this page...

https://media.ccc.de/v/34c3-9113-mqa_-_a_clever_stealth_drm-trojan

and there are other. This all gives me pause.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

1 hour ago, GUTB said:

The difference was not small, and anyone with a native MQA DAC has had these experiences. What I’m really interested in knowing is if this is really the result of time domain deblurring or if there’s some form of EQ trick being applied. None of the MQA haters seem to be able to account for this and I hope Jim Austin can.

I wonder why you use for you comparison explicit a quite cheap "mass market" DAC, very good for the price, no doubt, but sonically not on one level e.g. with the Mytek Brooklyn, that is for his part not even a "reverence" for digital/analog conversion.

Not really suitable to your self-expressed high end claim.