IGNORED

Stereophile Series on MQA Technology

17 minutes ago, GUTB said:

Modern cars are seem very much the same. Same-ish. I ride with Uber a lot, and so I see the inside of a lot of cars. I'm telling you, there's not that much difference now between a Kia and a BMW.

The same can't be said of audio. An Ayre is going to sound different from a McIntosh. A Pass is vastly superior to a Rotel.

A Bentley is very different from a Lamborghini.

2 hours ago, GUTB said:

Modern cars are seem very much the same. Same-ish. I ride with Uber a lot, and so I see the inside of a lot of cars. I'm telling you, there's not that much difference now between a Kia and a BMW.

The same can't be said of audio. An Ayre is going to sound different from a McIntosh. A Pass is vastly superior to a Rotel. And so on. Even class D amps with the same power supplies and modules can sound different based on their designers' voicing. Audio is coming out with something new -- a technology, a technique, a part that better, etc. The cumulative improvement is huge. @gmgraves may love his 43 year old Harmon Kardon, but it's non-competitive with the state-of-the-art.

Who has a 43 year old Harman Kardon? My HK990 is only a little more than 3 years old and it is very close to state of the art. It is dual mono from the power supply (two power transformers) to the speaker terminals. It's Class A to 30 watts, 150 WPC into 8Ω and 300 WPC into 4Ω, built-in dual-differential 24-bit/192 KHz DAC, built-in DSP based room correction, balanced analog CD inputs, Multiple coaxial and optical digital inputs, excellent RIAA phono inputs of both MM and MC variety; etc., etc., etc... Find me a 43 year old anything with those features or that sound! I had a 43-year old Harman Kardon (Citation I and a Citation II) 43 years ago, but that was 43 years ago, not now (mistakingly traded "up" to a Dynaco PAT5 and a Stereo 120 solid state amplifier. Boy was that an error in judgement!

George

1 minute ago, gmgraves said:

Who has a 43 year old Harman Kardon? My HK990 is only a little more than 3 years old and it is very close to state of the art. It is dual mono from the power supply (two power transformers) to the speaker terminals. It's Class A to 30 watts, 150 WPC into 8Ω and 300 WPC into 4Ω, built-in dual-differential 24-bit/192 KHz DAC, built-in DSP based room correction, balanced analog CD inputs, Multiple coaxial and optical digital inputs, excellent RIAA phono inputs of both MM and MC variety; etc., etc., etc... Find me a 43 year old anything with those features or that sound! I had a 43-year old Harman Kardon (Citation I and a Citation II) 43 years ago, but that was 43 years ago, not now (mistakingly traded "up" to a Dynaco PAT5 and a Stereo 120 solid state amplifier. Boy was that an error in judgement!

Sorry, I thought you said HK900.

It's very unlikely that a consumer grade class A/B at that price bracket is close to state of the art...but it's a decent weight, so it might be good. Also, it seems that it's out of production...looks like HK tried and failed to sell into the mid-fi market (which doesn't mean the amp sucks, just that HK wasn't successful for whatever reason).

This is just part of it. Having a time-domain compensation means it needs to use ‘leaky filter’ which causes aliasing problem. This is trade off, nothing is unique here.

As I quote 'However, optimizing the digital chain’s behavior in the time domain involves using a very “short” antialiasing filter at the A/D conversion, and a similarly “short” reconstruction filter when the digital data are decoded. The more you constrain the data in the time domain, the less you can do so in the frequency domain. These filters are therefore “leaky,” as you can see in the measurements accompanying the Aurender review in this issue, and will thus allow ultrasonic images to fold down into the baseband. Such filters are not new ’ by John Atkinson

Read this at:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/mqa-some-claims-examined

20 minutes ago, GUTB said:

It's very unlikely that a consumer grade class A/B at that price bracket is close to state of the art...but it's a decent weight, so it might be good. Also, it seems that it's out of production...looks like HK tried and failed to sell into the mid-fi market (which doesn't mean the amp sucks, just that HK wasn't successful for whatever reason).

Here's what Kalman Rubinson at Stereophile, who actually listened to the amp, said:

I found that Harman Kardon's HK 990 delivered on all its promises. Its power amp is very strong and agile. Its purely analog performance, from input to speaker, is worthy of the highest-quality sources and signals. Digital sources are handled cleanly and at high (24-bit/96kHz) resolution. But most important, the HK 990 brings modern audio features to a two-channel system by providing useful bass management and effective room/system equalization. I've always believed that, given adequacy in all components, speakers and room acoustics will be the biggest determinants of a system's overall sound. The Harman Kardon HK 990 integrated amplifier not so much refutes as confirms that belief. Unlike purely analog amplifiers, it can actually improve the sound of your speakers in your room. At less than $2599, the HK 990 should be on every audiophile's shopping list.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

On 12/11/2017 at 5:29 PM, Archimago said:

Remember @gmgraves, MQA is not similar to MP3 in terms of bitrates.

At the highest bitrate, MP3 is 320kbps. At the lowest bitrate, MQA with "hi-res" capabilities is around that of a FLAC encoded 24/44.1 stream or approximately 1,000kbps; I'm actually being very generous here with the amount of compression since the MQA encoding typically results in lower ability for lossless compression. Don't forget that many MQA streams are 24/48 or more like around 1200-1500kbps.

So ultimately, yes, streaming MQA better sound "better" than even the highest quality MP3 given higher bitrate (at least 3x). But why bother if we can already just stream "flat" FLAC lossless compressed 24/48 which would sound awesome because it's really capable of 24-bits rather than MQA's ~16-bit resolution, typically compresses better especially if you zero out the lowest few bits to save space, is free of any potential DRM nonsense, doesn't require special hardware, and nobody has to pay a licensing fee?

Obviously that "licensing fee" part is beneficial for MQA Ltd.; nobody else really. And that DRM part might be desired by some content providers.

Clearly the Stereophile articles have not added anything we don't know, and Jim Austin's article just shows us a few impulse responses we've known about for months if not years. Just more hot air trying to justify the unjustifiable in the eyes of consumers IMO.

I've said my piece previously: "Why I Don't Like MQA"; which echoes the sentiments here and elsewhere.

If MQA has managed to have me agree with an Archimago post, then it is truly dead in the water.

The debate is academic, though. Only the stereophile demographic will pay for MQA, just as they are willing to pay for DSD. No one else is going to be convinced to pay more for less.

1 minute ago, Archimago said:

@GUTB

I don't get it dude... You declare that I'm spreading FUD. I ask you to clarify. And nothing all day about this?

Surely if there is any point to having a discussion, then folks like yourself who appear to be supportive of MQA have to engage in some kind of meaningful discussion, right? Otherwise isn't this the proverbial "shilling" for MQA or at least some kind of "trolling"?

I have no issue with folks liking the sound of MQA (that's a subjective opinion)... But at least contribute to discussions if there is anything of substance you can add to the debate.

Read his post January 2nd in the MQA is Vaporware thread. He has slowly succumbed to the dark side this year.

4 minutes ago, Archimago said:

@GUTB

I don't get it dude... You declare that I'm spreading FUD. I ask you to clarify. And nothing all day about this?

Surely if there is any point to having a discussion, then folks like yourself who appear to be supportive of MQA have to engage in some kind of meaningful discussion, right? Otherwise isn't this the proverbial "shilling" for MQA or at least some kind of "trolling"?

I have no issue with folks liking the sound of MQA (that's a subjective opinion)... But at least contribute to discussions if there is anything of substance you can add to the debate.

You know what you’re doing, I don’t need to point it out to you. But since you asked:

1. You ignore and dismiss MQA claims, often using italics and air quotes to suggest claims you do quote are suspect.

2. Your community listening test includes non-MQA DACs to skew subjective analysis — this is done purely to spread FUD about the efficacy of MQA.

3. You concentrate large amounts of print on make-believe (DRM) and mere opinion.

4. Repeating criticisms of MQA without addressing the response.

5. Focusing on community claims, and not MQA claims except where you believe MQA claims look bad.

.... ///// ????  should have a feature to simply delete the whole of a post or a thread.......

Most of the these endless MQA discussions are just so debilitating.  

Surely there is no immediate nor apparent need for MQA.  Full stop.

(..and I take the late Mr. Hanson's thoughts to heart and am saddened by his demise).

12 minutes ago, wdw said:

.... ///// ????  should have a feature to simply delete the whole of a post or a thread.......

Most of the these endless MQA discussions are just so debilitating.  

Surely there is no need for MQA.  Full stop.

(I take the late Mr. Hanson's thoughts to heart and am saddened by his demise).

The OP and many others are not going to stop until MQA LTD is liquidated and the intellectual property is not in the hands of the majority shareholder or Bob Stuart.

2 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Your comments show two things: You make a lot of assumptions based upon little to no real knowledge of what you are talking about, and secondly, you are a price snob (as if that wasn't apparent before). The former is just an opinion, but the latter is off putting at best.

When it was new in 2011 it was $2.5k, which is about at the top of the consumer price spectrum. I notice it’s less than $1k used today which may make it a smart buy. I merely observed that it’s out of production, and a check of HK’s web site shows they no longer carry a high end amp model.

2 hours ago, Archimago said:

as far as we're aware, there are no strong DRM mechanisms in place (other than the hassles of using specific software, upgrading hardware and not accessing the full resolution for doing our own DSP).

I disagree. In my book the latter all mean a significant curtailing of my digital rights.

7 hours ago, GUTB said:

This is the most preposterous thing I've read from you so far:

"but it's a decent weight, so it might be good"

Do you have any idea of what makes a SOA equipment?  (note: this is not a question, do not reply)

I've had the current Modwright integrated with DAC at home. Heavy piece of junk... High-end pedigree.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

6 hours ago, Archimago said:

@GUTB

I recommend that you simply just ignore him.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

15 hours ago, crenca said:

It is not just that realhifi (let's ignore the irony of his name for a moment ;) ) would support/purchase equipment made of horse manure if JA/Stereophile told him to (although one wonders), it's that he really is loyal to an industry and hobby in a way that many are not. 

You got me. Seems as though you know me better than I know myself. If you knew my ruthless side of equipment evaluation you might not pigeonhole me quite as fast but then again, you know better than me. 

David