IGNORED

Stereophile Series on MQA Technology

8 hours ago, GUTB said:

And yet, very outspoken opponents of MQA won't post their systems...

MQA is worthless. MQA is a solution looking for a problem. I don't have an MQA enabled DAC. But, I have compared a few MQA albums on Tidal, to hi res versions I own of the same album. My hi res copies sound better than the Tidal MQA versions.

If MQA is that good, even partially unfolded, it should sound better than "ordinary" PCM hi res, should it not? I don't see the point of MQA. I see its creator trying to push it on everyone, while he has dollar signs in his eyes. 

Steve Jobs did something similar. But, Jobs gave people things they wanted or desired. Bob Stuart is trying to sell people a shit sandwich disguised as bacon lettuce and tomato.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/profile/26564-indydan/?tab=field_core_pfield_3

1 minute ago, Indydan said:

MQA is worthless. MQA is a solution looking for a problem. I don't have an MQA enabled DAC. But, I have compared a few MQA albums on Tidal, to hi res versions I own of the same album. My hi res copies sound better than the Tidal MQA versions. I don't use Tidal for the MQA albums it contains.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/profile/26564-indydan/?tab=field_core_pfield_3

You have a very nice power delivery system. Are the Shunyatas as good as everyone says? I remember someone saying you should rob a bank if you have to get one.

In regards to the first unfold (no MQA DAC), I found no benefit at least with the DFR.

4 minutes ago, GUTB said:

You have a very nice power delivery system. Are the Shunyatas as good as everyone says? I remember someone saying you should rob a bank if you have to get one.

In regards to the first unfold (no MQA DAC), I found no benefit at least with the DFR.

Thank you. The Shunyata power cables deserve their excellent reputation. I have tried a good number of power cables from different companies (Audioquest, Nordost, Furutech, Cardas, etc). They are all better than stock cords, but Shunyata beats them all. 

By the way, I edited and expanded my previous comment after you quoted it. 

6 hours ago, Archimago said:

No... This is not elegant. It's sadly rather ugly.

I always found the underlying principle elegant, or clever, as I expressed it on Day One:

Look at the actual signal, look at the actual noise floor. Determine how shallow an AA filter you can get away

with, so that any aliasing below 20kHz falls below the noise floor.

But anything MQA beyond that is an attrocity, and politically so totally wrong ... making the grand sum of it ugly, indeed.

11 hours ago, Miska said:

Now figuring out what exactly is where something "falls below the noise floor" is not so straightforward. I say this because I've worked so many years on making passive sonar systems, listening those signals and training operators. You can hear a lot into a noise floor, especially with some amount of practice, and you can also dig out very faint tones from the noise floor using analysis methods. ...

we  might call that "active" processing - something similar happens with the visual system

a natural intelligence or an AI system can perform very extensive processing on sound, stills or 'video' to recover patterns

the problem is that sometimes patterns are recovered that are not really there

20 hours ago, John_Atkinson said:

Maybe the word sounds nice to you, I don't have an opinion on that. But MQA's approach to digital audio
data encoding, in theory reducing all the stages between the input of the A/D converter to the output of the D/A converter to a transparent "pipe," was a back-to-first-principles approach that I found elegant in the extreme. YMMV.

I like that. I can buy the cheapest MQA DAC. As they become a transparent pipe, they all sound identical :o)

So MQA is not a way to make money for the companies, but to save money as consumer! Thanks, great idea!!

On 12/18/2017 at 11:25 PM, GUTB said:

Instead of taking Austin's words at face value and see what he comes up with

Why should we take what he says at "face value"? Whatever he writes should be analyzed and evaluated critically.

That said, there is no reason for personal attacks on him or his motives.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Magical mystery tour.

They want to take you away.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

And this is what I posted on Audio Asylum on December 7, 2017

Dear John,

As the time for the January issue of Stereophile approaches I want to remind you and Jim MQA technology has already been analyzed and discussed. The agenda for debating MQA was set in January of this year so there was no need for me to frame the debate about MQA and its technology for Jim's series. As I said in my Dear Jim post a decision was made that MQA would have to be analyzed by people outside the audio industry.

What I put in my November 14, 2017 Dear Jim post are hurdles. The same hurdles my profession uses. Are you competent to write this series? Next hurdle will you look at both sides of the claims made by MQA Ltd for and against their technology and look at other alternatives? Third hurdle can you exercise professional judgement about the facts and the claims made? Only if you can clear these hurdles can you write an article and have the possibility of arriving at an objective conclusion. 

I gave Jim some examples of topics that need to be covered. You wrote about Charley Hansen's alternative to some of the issues MQA is claiming to solve. Peter St maker of XXHigh End wrote about his filters and mitchco wrote about Audiolense software and its filters on Computer Audiophile in the past week. It doesn't seem to be hard to find alternatives to MQA.

Take care,

Stephen

On 19/12/2017 at 12:17 AM, John_Atkinson said:

Maybe the word sounds nice to you, I don't have an opinion on that. But MQA's approach to digital audio
data encoding, in theory reducing all the stages between the input of the A/D converter to the output of the D/A converter to a transparent "pipe," was a back-to-first-principles approach that I found elegant in the extreme. YMMV.

See https://www.stereophile.com/content/ive-heard-future-streaming-meridians-mqa

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

"in theory reducing all the stages between the input of the A/D converter to the output of the D/A converter to a transparent "pipe,"

Well, why use proprietary solutions, not bit-perfect when open/non-proprietary and bit-perfect are available. I guess I fail to see the transparency in the "pipe" or in the mqa "solution".

Well, we may just dismiss transparency as a absolute goal after all. The choice of the microphones that are at the start of the process is the first non-transparent process as is the first device to color the sound anyway...