IGNORED

Stereophile Series on MQA Technology

29 minutes ago, KingRex said:

Through a million dollar setup, some guest enjoyed the Redbook better than the high resolution.  Through a DC 

I heard a demo through a DCS stack and had to plug my ears on the MQA playback. It has a glassy, clear, introspective quality, but it hurt to listen to for any time.   On a million dollar system some people with "good ears" preferred good old Redbook to high Res DSD.  For figure.  They said it was just enjoyable. 

I think to many people get caught up in the technology and forget to relax and listen.  A ton of McIntosh equipment is bought and sold.  I know 2 people who found one of those amps and that was it.  End of the road.  Done.  No more looking, why?  Its not accuracy or perfection,  its just musical and pleasant to listen to. 

You can have too much resolution to enjoy a system for long periods. And good Redbook can be very good.

1 hour ago, crenca said:

True, the labels have an interest to foil DRM on an unsuspecting consumer, but even they have to see value and I don't think MQA offers it.  They can just as easily DRM their streams without MQA.  

In any rational market, MQA dies rather quickly. Not that irrational forces could prevail but I suspect (this is all crystal ball stuff) MQA time to stick against the audio wall has come and gone...

I hope you are right.  Replacing the 24/96 and 24/192 true high res downloads we have now with 24/48 MQA would be a disaster for the audiophile community.

17 hours ago, crenca said:

Unfortunately, the "other" legals aspects are both obvious quite impactful on the consumer.  For example, by agreeing to the license of MQA, I am giving the licensor the ability to encrypt, phone home, change (in some future version, say MQA 2.0) what equipment I can play my file on, etc. etc. etc.  I am granting none of these rights to the licensor when I purchase an "open" format such as PCM.  In other words, while copyright is relevant in both cases, the legal and technical methods of both "digital products" could not be more different...

But what you are referring to as “legal aspects” are actually technology aspects. As I’ve explained, the dispositive legal driver here is copyright law and the associated interpretations (primarily related to the concept of fair use) of the limited license you are granted when you purchase a disk or download a file. Those legal drivers are not substantively changed by MQA compared to PCM or other “open” formats. You still have a fair use right to copy the file and you are no more limited from doing so than you are with the “open” formats. What you ARE limited from doing (thanks to underlying DRM tech) is creating a digitally identical copy that ensures endless format/playback options without degradation, which is basically how things stood in the pre-digital era when the fair use exemption for personal copying of this kind of IP was established in the first place.

You are not now and never have been in a position of “granting...rights” to the licensors or withholding them. That upside down perception is a side-effect of the digital era in which perfect file copying is feasible and even easy and has become so ingrained in consumers’ minds that this narrow exception to copyright law has morphed into a proclaimed “right”. It’s the digital equivalent to gun activists who insist that any limitation whatsoever on their “rights” are unconstitutional and the first step to tyranny. Sorry, but those rights were never absolute, just as your “right” to perfect, painless fair use copying of IP you’ve licensed is not absolute.  For a couple of decades now the technology has tilted in favor of the consumer being able to take advantage of an old physical ownership model. That’s rapidly changing. Get ready! They’re coming to pry your PCM files from your cold dead fingers! 

1 hour ago, mansr said:

No, it doesn't.

So, are you saying categorically MQA fully unfolded does not sound better than a straight 24/48 stream?  Perhaps you could elaborate, because this is no better than anyone else's naked opinion that MQA does sound better.

I should have worded my post a little differently because it comes off as if I am making a claim, but it is too late to change it.  Taken in context with everything else I have said about MQA a careful reader would realize I meant that MQA allowed it's proponents to claim their product sounded better than a straight 24/48 stream.  

6 minutes ago, Ron Scubadiver said:

So, you are saying categorically MQA fully unfolded does not sound better than a straight 24/48 stream?  That might be true and I should have worded my post a little differently because it comes off as if I am making a claim, but it is too late to change it.

I'm saying that a) you don't need MQA to deliver higher quality than 24/48, and b) MQA being higher quality than 24/48 is debatable, it having somewhat better high-frequency extension but lower bit depth and added ultrasonic noise.

3 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

You can have too much resolution to enjoy a system for long periods. And good Redbook can be very good.

I don't agree with the first sentence. It's either something wrong with the system or with the recording (tonal balance?, close mic'ing?). There's no such thing as too much resolution.

P.S.: but yes Redbook can be very good.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

22 minutes ago, semente said:

I don't agree with the first sentence. It's either something wrong with the system or with the recording (tonal balance?, close mic'ing?). There's no such thing as too much resolution.

P.S.: but yes Redbook can be very good.

Actually to much resolution causes fatigue. A reason a lot of people like vinyl which is about 14 bits, and people like CDs with no more than 16 bits when listening for long periods.

Don't get me started on hot top ends and the fatigue that causes. 

16 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

Actually to much resolution causes fatigue. A reason a lot of people like vinyl which is about 14 bits, and people like CDs with no more than 16 bits when listening for long periods.

Don't get me started on hot top ends and the fatigue that causes. 

That's what I meant.

Properly recorded music will not cause fatigue or produce "clinical" sound; close mic'ing and tonal balance problems such as exaggerated treble do.

Those problems have no relation with resolution.

The same is true for the system with its many potential causes for fatigue.

Identifying (and dealing with) them is in my view the greatest and also the most interesting challenge in the practice of audio.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

7 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

I'm sorry, but this is nonsense. "Resolution" does not cause fatigue. Digital bit-depth is purely about signal-to-noise ratio, and CDs have a noise floor that's well below the noise floor of the original recording equipment (if it's an analogue recording), many electric instruments/amps/mic preamps, the listening room, and often the listener's equipment.

Sorry signal to noise ratio and resolution are essentially the same thing. See the sidebar to The Absolute Sound's review of the Benchmark amp by Paul Seydor for a short explanation by Robert E Greene in the April 2016 issue.  

2 hours ago, knickerhawk said:

But what you are referring to as “legal aspects” are actually technology aspects..... Sorry, but those rights were never absolute, just as your “right” to perfect, painless fair use copying of IP you’ve licensed is not absolute...

Um, no.  You make several errors, including confusing lisensor with licensee (or your sentence is off).  Besides, you said it yourself - "copying" or cracking, or  in any way technically "getting around" IP "is not absolute".  Why?  Not because it can't be technically done, rather because I am legally prevented from doing so. DRM, IP, etc. etc. - these are first and foremost legal realities that are then "managed" through technical ways.  It is not all about copyright - rather, it is about the legal (and technical) burdens placed on the consumer over and above copyright...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

9 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

Sorry signal to noise ratio and resolution are essentially the same thing. See the sidebar to The Absolute Sound's review of the Benchmark amp by Paul Seydor for a short explanation by Robert E Greene in the April 2016 issue.  

Yes, I know resolution (more accurately, bit-depth) and signal to noise are essentially the same thing. That's exactly my point. And the signal to noise ratio of "merely" 16 bits on CD is not less fatiguing than higher-resolution digital.

24 minutes ago, crenca said:

Um, no.  You make several errors, including confusing lisensor with licensee (or your sentence is off).  Besides, you said it yourself - "copying" or cracking, or  in any way technically "getting around" IP "is not absolute".  Why?  Not because it can't be technically done, rather because I am legally prevented from doing so. DRM, IP, etc. etc. - these are first and foremost legal realities that are then "managed" through technical ways.  It is not all about copyright - rather, it is about the legal (and technical) burdens placed on the consumer over and above copyright...

It’s usually a good idea when pretending to know what you’re talking about to at least spell the terms correctly. It’s “licensor” not “lisensor.” And, no, my sentence is not “off” and I have not confused who is the licensor and who is the licensee in the kind of IP licensing scenario being discussed here. My law school contracts, property, commercial law and IP law profs would be rather disappointed to learn that, nearly 40 years later, I still hadn’t got it right. My former clients for whom I negotiated numerous  software license agreements would be lining up to sue me as well.

As for the rest of your insights, well...I’m just not motivated enough to walk you through the basics that you’re struggling to absorb from my prior posts. I’d rather relax by listening to some MQAs streamed on Tidal.

20 minutes ago, knickerhawk said:

It’s usually a good idea when pretending to know what you’re talking about to at least spell the terms correctly. It’s “licensor” not “lisensor.”

Ah, you see there, you get an F in internet comment box community standards.  

Look if you like MQA that is fine

but I will not be buying it, nor can you obscure the legal reality of D......R.....M.  ?

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

1 hour ago, Miska said:

This is one of the major reasons why I prefer to do any DSP on the player during playback time. As algorithms improve, there's no need to re-encode, re-download or worst - repurchase content to get the improvements. After software update all content plays through latest version of the algorithms...

That’s brutal, now it’s a moving target of “sound quality”.  You certainly don’t want to purchase your MQA content.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

49 minutes ago, FredericV said:

So if MQA can do somewhere around 15 to 17 bits, they have some extra headroom and more than what is needed for most situations

Following on from this, I'm definitely not a fan of MQA quality becoming our only option in future but based on the above, shouldn't we put MQA and it's limited ~ 14-17 bits, aside? If that's enough to dynamic range for most music?

Is there any album that truely has 24 bits of dynamic range (over 144dB !)?

I ask genuine questions  - I'm not trying to be a smart a$$

3 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

Actually to much resolution causes fatigue.

Not sure I understand this at all.

2 hours ago, Dr Tone said:

No it doesn't.  A little too hot in the top by design speakers/system or a reflective room or brutally mixed/mastered recordings causes fatigue.

My ears agree with this.

5 hours ago, knickerhawk said:

For a couple of decades now the technology has tilted in favor of the consumer being able to take advantage of an old physical ownership model. That’s rapidly changing. Get ready!

Again I'm not a fan of MQA but I feel the above is what mostly interests the labels about MQA.