IGNORED

Stereophile Series on MQA Technology

18 minutes ago, Miska said:

And in this case severely attempts to hamper the way content can be used. Trying to make it much harder to use digital room correction, 3D headphone processing and other DSP technologies.

That is one of the major downsides for me, personally. I use DSP for all my systems, including headphones for EQ and crossfeed. Having spent quite a bit of time fine tuning this process, I would never want to go back. There's just no comparison with the non-DSP'ed versions. Any format or process that denies me the use of DSP in my own system is a loser in my book.

33 minutes ago, mansr said:

He said he was retired. Do you know the meaning of this word?

And then he said he was still consulting in the industry. I think consulting counts as work. Or in your dictionary of “meanings” is it something else?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

15 minutes ago, firedog said:

And then he said he was still consulting in the industry. I think consulting counts as work. Or in your dictionary of “meanings” is it something else?

Consulting is work, you get paid, its counted as income , you pay taxes at least here in the states. .

The Truth Is Out There

40 minutes ago, firedog said:

He said he might do some consulting in the future. If Chris was able to find something on this person placing him in an active industry role, he should disclose what it was. Maybe the ban was deserved (foul language aside), maybe not. We can't tell without that information. Do we really want a place where people get banned for made-up reasons?

2 hours ago, firedog said:

Sorry, your post is ridiculous. The fellow was banned not because of his opinions, but because he refused to acknowledge his identity as an industry worker, which is against forum rules. Simple as that.  The rest of your post also has a tenuous  connection to reality.  The only thing your post proves is your inability to see past YOUR prejudices. 

At times, the dishonesty of some here is astounding.  Did you miss the point(s) on purpose?  Did I say anything about banning, industry worker, or forum rules?  Read again.

"Record breaking response time, Chris.  Within mere minutes?  It usually takes at least a few months before you come to realize and act against the pro-MQA shills.  The MQA critics, on the other hand, within minutes.  Also, seems the more effective and knowledgeable the critic, the quicker you respond.  Interesting to witness."

The critique was regarding response time and swiftness of action.  With shills who’s positions seem to benefit the site and/or owner, response time from Chris is slow, and decisions labored over (for seemingly ever) before actions taken.  Every possible benefit of doubt is given and common Chris replies include:

“Well, I can't read all posts.”
“I can’t be sure that X is a shill/industry affiliate/etc.”
“I like to take a soft approach to moderating.”
“Never received report by members.”

In the most recent example, response time was instant and without benefit of doubt.  These actions have become more common and more obvious in the MQA threads.

How quickly does he respond to others who are suspected of shilling and/or of being industry affiliates?

And by the way, as some have mentioned, there is some doubt as to whether the banning was justified, but Chris has zero interested in entertaining those thoughts at all.  The member did not refuse to acknowledge any industry affiliation, it’s not known whether he is currently affiliated or not.

8 minutes ago, rwdvis said:

At times, the dishonesty of some here is astounding.  Did you miss the point(s) on purpose?  Did I say anything about banning, industry worker, or forum rules?  Read again.

"Record breaking response time, Chris.  Within mere minutes?  It usually takes at least a few months before you come to realize and act against the pro-MQA shills.  The MQA critics, on the other hand, within minutes.  Also, seems the more effective and knowledgeable the critic, the quicker you respond.  Interesting to witness."

The critique was regarding response time and swiftness of action.  With shills who’s positions seem to benefit the site and/or owner, response time from Chris is slow, and decisions labored over (for seemingly ever) before actions taken.  Every possible benefit of doubt is given and common Chris replies include:

“Well, I can't read all posts.”
“I can’t be sure that X is a shill/industry affiliate/etc.”
“I like to take a soft approach to moderating.”
“Never received report by members.”

In the most recent example, response time was instant and without benefit of doubt.  These actions have become more common and more obvious in the MQA threads.

How quickly does he respond to others who are suspected of shilling and/or of being industry affiliates?

And by the way, as some have mentioned, there is some doubt as to whether the banning was justified, but Chris has zero interested in entertaining those thoughts at all.  The member did not refuse to acknowledge any industry affiliation, it’s not known whether he is currently affiliated or not.

Now you're stating things that are 100% false about me. 

My response time has to do with what I'm currently doing and if posts get reported by the community. Facts are facts, you can't have your own. People reported this guy because of his language. I read his posts and the big "tell" was the following statement:

22 hours ago, seldomheard said:

My boss would fire me. We have to sell product in this whore of a market.

His own words indicate he's currently working. You said, "it’s not known whether he is currently affiliated or not." You're twisting the facts to fit your narrative. He admitted to working with his own words.

I know who he is because I did some searching. 

I encourage you to read this and all the MQA threads. Count the number of posts for and against MQA. If your logic holds true, there should be many more pro MQA posts and a host of banned people that are against MQA. The reality is, you aren't using facts. You're going on a feeling you have. Again, find a larger area on the internet than CA where anti-MQA voices can be heard. You won't. 

You also said, "With shills who’s positions seem to benefit the site and/or owner, response time from Chris is slow." You are in a 100% fact-free world if you believe what you wrote. You have no idea what benefits the site and are showing a complete lack of knowledge  with respect to how to run a business. I don't blame you for not understanding this, but I do blame you for proving it without a doubt. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, rwdvis said:

Zero dishonesty from me. But you are clearly clueless and lack basic reading comprehension skills - apparently especially if what you read doesn't fit your preconceptions. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

On 12/17/2017 at 6:10 AM, mcgillroy said:

So I tried to get a grip on the ownership structure of Stereophile and that's a wee bit complicated.

They are owned by a holding called Source which manages a consortium called TEN standing for "The Enthusiast Network."

TEN publishes number of consumer interest titles ranging from sufer mags over baseball to audio. 60 mags and about a 100 online titles all together. These titles deal mostly with medium to high priced hobby consumer goods.

I could not find any good info on the financial structure and ownership makeup of Source but then I didn't look to hard.

Anybody able to shed some light on this?

Particularly if there are any investments or stakes in Source by Warner or any of the other big media-conglomerates. 

A little housekeeping.

The Enthusiast Network was Source Interlink Media. They are owned by Golden Tree Asset Management.

Goldentree Asset Management manages funds for institutional investors, pension funds and countries.

TEN is a coordinated marketing approach to reaching men under 50, guys who like cars of all ages, a few women who surf, snowboard, skateboard etc.

8 minutes ago, GUTB said:

Please step away from the deep end. Stereophile has been in print for over 50 years, and John Atkinson has been at Stereophile for over 30.

Still no answer to yesterday's question:

21 hours ago, kumakuma said:

Do you have any industry affiliation?

Multiple people have asked you if you are Steve Guttenberg with no response from you.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

7 minutes ago, GUTB said:

Please step away from the deep end. Stereophile has been in print for over 50 years, and John Atkinson has been at Stereophile for over 30.

I told you who owned Stereophile, public information. TEN is primarily a group of auto publications that's where the advertising dollars are. The audio parts of TEN are a tiny part of their operation. Think Motor Trend, Hot Rod, and a personal favorite Street Rodder. If you aren't thinking about things like the DEW Tour, drag racing and surfing you aren't in their demo either.

4 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

My response time is directly related to what I'm doing and whether or not posts are reported by members of the CA Community. In this case, I received several reports to check out the abusive language of this person,

People reported this guy because of his language.

“People” sure seem quick to report behavior of MQA critics.  I’ve seen plenty of bad language occur all over the site, but lightning-fast reports only seem to be made against certain critics at certain times.  Did it ever occur to you that it’s possible this trend might have something to do with a group of pro-MQA affiliates and shills within the site?  Something to think about the next time these selective rapid reports come flying in.

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

IAgain, find a larger area on the internet than CA where anti-MQA voices can be heard. You won't. 

You also said, "With shills who’s positions seem to benefit the site and/or owner, response time from Chris is slow." You are in a 100% fact-free world if you believe what you wrote. You have no idea what benefits the site and are showing a complete lack of knowledge  with respect to how to run a business. I don't blame you for not understanding this, but I do blame you for proving it without a doubt. 

This:

On 6/7/2017 at 10:41 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

With respect to MQA, I've heard many in the music industry who like it or hate it and for all kinds of reasons related to sound quality, DRM, change, etc... To me it doesn't really matter what anyone else says (good or bad). Everyone has an opinion. Touting one guys opinion (good or bad) doesn't move the needle, but it does drive site traffic.

You’ve also stated elsewhere (in the MQA is Vaporware thread, I believe) that only a small percentage of consumers actually read the MQA threads on this site, so it's not surprising that you allow some critique.

Conclusion:

Additional site traffic
Average consumers won’t see or understand MQA critiques anyway ("doesn't move the needle")
Present a faux-neutral position rather than a healthy dose of skepticism and investigative reporting
Step in with frequent “friendly” advice (and banning) for critics on how to proceed in a more gentle manner (ie., don't say too many bad things about MQA).