IGNORED

Site Issues, Updates, Changes, and Feedback Thread

Chris

I LOVE the feature where if you accidentally lose C.A. when looking elsewhere to add additional information, your earlier work is there waiting for you to continue with, when you sheepishly go back to do the whole reply all over again.

Well done.

Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Hi Shadders

I have had no problem editing my posts today. You have a limited amount of time to do it in though.

I do not know what that time limit is set for currently though.

Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Chris,

Any chance we could have a "global" ignore thread command which would apply to any one particular poster.  Say, for example, I would like to delete/ignore/not see any more threads posted by beerandmusic, a command to achieve this on a site wide basis would be welcome.  I'm assuming I must log into the many threads and flag as ignore for each one.

Cheers,

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

You can ignore any user you want. 

Yes I am aware of this feature but was hoping for something more "global"  so if I, for example, wanted to ignore any and all current and future threads by beerandmusic it appears that I must load each thread and flag the ignore thread box.  At that point the thread is still visible on the page list of threads but identified as "Ignored"...shouldn't the thread not show at all?

thanks,

I'd like to register a mild amount of displeasure/disappointment at the amount of dead internal links resultant from the two forum software updates this year.  Say for instance someone with a five figure post count links to their extensive thoughts on a given issue.  

Whole lotta this going on everywhere I search today.

RpjskPm.png

Tsk tsk, there are no shortcuts to a job well done.  :)

2 hours ago, rando said:

I'd like to register a mild amount of displeasure/disappointment at the amount of dead internal links resultant from the two forum software updates this year.  Say for instance someone with a five figure post count links to their extensive thoughts on a given issue.  

Whole lotta this going on everywhere I search today.

RpjskPm.png

Tsk tsk, there are no shortcuts to a job well done.  :)

Feedback noted.

Most of this stuff isn't too hard to find, either by looking at the URL (Audio Elf's Blog), doing a search, or letting me know about a URL that isn't working. I can create the redirect manually.

The cost to redirect all old URLs to the new URLs was prohibitive because it would take a very skilled person many hours to come up with a way to do it. It's all non-standard stuff. I had one company look at it and make an attempt, but the price went up very quickly, so we called it quits. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I understand how it happened, and yes it does just take a little legwork to parse links as needed, moving the full site while getting yelled at synergizing hyperlocal painpoints. 9_9  It would be appreciated if future iterations treated plugging this hole as a wise business decision.  

I seem to remember some turmoil in discussing how best to reclaim quality from messy shotgun war threads containing a few really well stated bits of info somewhere within.  Granted I chose a blog post with one voice for simplicity sake.  Direct link to a lengthy forum post of such high quality is basically the same though.  Rare.  

Thanks for listening.

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Feedback noted.

Most of this stuff isn't too hard to find, either by looking at the URL (Audio Elf's Blog), doing a search, or letting me know about a URL that isn't working. I can create the redirect manually.

The cost to redirect all old URLs to the new URLs was prohibitive because it would take a very skilled person many hours to come up with a way to do it. It's all non-standard stuff. I had one company look at it and make an attempt, but the price went up very quickly, so we called it quits. 

Every time you think we’ve come pretty far at this web game, you realize things like there being no standard way to migrate from one CMS to another, for at least some content.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to make a suggestion.  In the case of threads that have little or nothing to do with audio per se, but that are focused on individual personalities (here, or especially elsewhere), I wonder if it might be worth putting them in a designated subforum (maybe titled something like "Under the Bridge").  Threads like "Michael Lavorgna strikes back" seem to bring out the worst in everyone (I include myself in this) and don't reflect positively upon any of us, and probably give a skewed perspective to visitors to the site.

For example, a visitor to the General Forum sees these two "hot topics" as the most active:

(I only just now decided to try the "ignore topic" button, but they still get listed.)

Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 8.37.22 AM.png

This may just be my ignorance, but how do I see all the follow-ups related to a post? I know how to jump  from a response back to the original, but what if I want to only see just the related responses? Is there a simple way to do this or do I have to wade through the rest of the thread and a bunch of unrelated discussions?

29 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

This may just be my ignorance, but how do I see all the follow-ups related to a post? I know how to jump  from a response back to the original, but what if I want to only see just the related responses? Is there a simple way to do this or do I have to wade through the rest of the thread and a bunch of unrelated discussions?

Time-travel back to the 80s and use Usenet where proper threading was actually a thing.