IGNORED

Site Issues, Updates, Changes, and Feedback Thread

here's another bug (or maybe a case of user ignorance :)) : Sometimes I reply to someone's post thinking I was the last respondier, only to find out that the thread had gone on (another page, or people posting in between my post and their post, etc.).  In these cases, I'd like go to back and add a "quote" to keep the context clear, but I can't see a way to do that with the WYSIWYG editor.

Would be helpful in these cases to have either the ability to click a "Quote" button on the editor (and have it let me scroll through recent posts, enter a post #, and/or search for that which I want to quote), or to enable "code" editing such that I could cobble together my own "quote block" by cannibalizing another post with a quote, ripping out the appropriate markup tags, and editing the metadata...

10 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Here's one which is quite annoying, and which maybe can be solved. Or maybe not because it seems difficult :

Suppose you are catching up with a thread and respond to a post here and a post there. They are at many pages back. Now, each time you respond you and up on the last page again. I understand why that is, but it is the most inconvenient because you want to continue with the next post x pages back.

I know what you mean, Peter. 

I do it in a kludgey kinda way. I have the thread open on two tabs in the browser. Depending on the situation, I find myself using 2 techniques.

1. If I respond to posts as I'm reading them, I hit Quote, scroll down to the edit pane, select all, cut, and then navigate over to the other tab, paste into the composition pane, and then respond. This way, on my original tab, I remain on the page number where I was reading, and I can continue reading from there. Rinse and repeat.
  2. The other way I've done it is to mark each post I want to respond to via multi-quote, i.e. "+" until I've caught up. Say by then I have 10 posts waiting to be responded to. I then click on the pop-up button "Quote 10 posts." Now in the composition pane, I have 10 Quote blocks. I then cut each one, paste into the composition pane on the other tab, and respond. I repeat this 9 more times until all 10 quotes have been responded to.

I said it was kludgey. I would love to learn a better way!

39 minutes ago, Jeremy Anderson said:

here's another bug (or maybe a case of user ignorance :)) : Sometimes I reply to someone's post thinking I was the last respondier, only to find out that the thread had gone on (another page, or people posting in between my post and their post, etc.).  In these cases, I'd like go to back and add a "quote" to keep the context clear, but I can't see a way to do that with the WYSIWYG editor.

Would be helpful in these cases to have either the ability to click a "Quote" button on the editor (and have it let me scroll through recent posts, enter a post #, and/or search for that which I want to quote), or to enable "code" editing such that I could cobble together my own "quote block" by cannibalizing another post with a quote, ripping out the appropriate markup tags, and editing the metadata...

You want the ability to go back to a post you've already competed and add a quote?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

10 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

@PeterSt and @austinpop - If you respond to a specific post using the quote feature, you can click on the little arrow to take you back to that exact post you quoted once your comment is published. 

This seems to resolve the issue very easily. 

Responding to this, and will look for the arrow.

EDIT: Ah, the arrow on the right margin of the title bar of the quote block!

Yes, that does make it easier.

7 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

You want the ability to go back to a post you've already competed and add a quote?

@Jeremy Anderson, I was just explaining to Chris how your problem goes, and then found out how to deal with it :

When you later add the quote (Chris, still in the same "add post session"), especially one which you want on top of your text, just add the quote but now pick it up by means of the hair-cross thing which shows when you hover it (don't ask me how to hover on a phone etc.). Now drag upwards and drop at the top of the text (or wherever you want).

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Just now, PeterSt said:

When you later add the quote

An other situation would be that you want to add text preceding the quote you see above. This seems impossible. But ... (see next post) ...

XXHighEnd (developer)

When you type this very line of text, and then again pick up the quote by means of the cross-hair and drag it below this line of text, you virtually added text preceding the quote. Or can delete this piece of text and replace it.

3 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

When you later add the quote

And if the quote is at the very bottom (which just happened because of this dragging, there is no way to add text under it. :ph34r: So ... drag it upwards a little bit and there's a line with spaces under the quote and you can proceed.

Btw strange, this quote thing bugged me a 100 times, and now I one time try to explain the "bug" it is suddenly solved ...

XXHighEnd (developer)

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I just noticed that if I, in an almost current Firefox, upvote by mistake, to add to some already made, realise this and remove my vote that then I can't see who's already voted - clicking on the number icon does nothing. I need to refresh that page to restore the functionality of the number of upvotes icon.

2 hours ago, PeterSt said:

When you type this very line of text, and then again pick up the quote by means of the cross-hair and drag it below this line of text, you virtually added text preceding the quote. Or can delete this piece of text and replace it.

And if the quote is at the very bottom (which just happened because of this dragging, there is no way to add text under it. :ph34r: So ... drag it upwards a little bit and there's a line with spaces under the quote and you can proceed.

Btw strange, this quote thing bugged me a 100 times, and now I one time try to explain the "bug" it is suddenly solved ...

So, I can figure out how to quote things into a new reply, but @The Computer Audiophile I can't seem to figure out how to add a quote (of another post) to a post I've already saved (i.e., in Edit mode).

43 minutes ago, Jeremy Anderson said:

So, I can figure out how to quote things into a new reply, but @The Computer Audiophile I can't seem to figure out how to add a quote (of another post) to a post I've already saved (i.e., in Edit mode).

Trying that right now, but I recall that I could not do such a thing either ... wait ...

And after having added the unsolicited post below, I can happily continue editing this one.

XXHighEnd (developer)

40 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'll see if it's possible othe

Ah ... I already remember / see : What happens is that the quote ends up in an an again new reply. Now there are two pending. See screenshot and the "Reason for edit" etc. :

CA-EditQuote01.thumb.png.96d20af8e4bbf28c3ed699a88e53629a.png

XXHighEnd (developer)

@Jeremy Anderson, tomorrow an again better avatar ?

It is only that you shouldn't be doing such things in the middle of the night. ^_^

10 minutes ago, Jeremy Anderson said:

I know, I know... *hangs head*

Okay... off to bed with me... =D

Time warp. So @The Computer Audiophileand @Jeremy Anderson, it is possible to inject a quote while editing. But it is the farthest from obvious. Here are the steps :

1. Start Editing;

2. Find the post / text to quote from and do that;

3. Insert a few new lines under the quote (this is crucial);

4. Now drag the quote lower, so that an empty line exists at the top and also an empty line remains at the bottom;

5. Now you are able to select the complete content including the quote and apply Copy (it looks as if the heading of the quote is not copied, but it will);

6. Paste in the topic you are editing, and possibly imply a time warp as I just did (the quote is from a newer post).

7. Ctrl-z out the still pending new post to have it ready for your next outrageous reply.

Voilá.

XXHighEnd (developer)

19 hours ago, Superdad said:

Anybody else come across this?

It happend before on my iPad Air2, before. Not anymore. Mostly using Safari and sometimes Crome. 

19 hours ago, Superdad said:

Maybe I only encountered it when editing my own post and trying to put a link in then. 

Are there any other options ??

( or do you mean ok when first post a post, and when editing it occurs) 

This has probably been mentioned already, but I, too, can't seem to find a way to edit one of my previous posts on iOS (iPhone 6S).

Edit:

However, my latest post, like this one, is editable.

another thing I can't do on mobile is select a quote block, nor can I move a quote block via the "crosshair" icon to test out @PeterSt's marvelous solution.

20 hours ago, Nikhil said:

Meanwhile this is just to mention that fonts and general appearance of the new update is just fabulous on my phone. I really like the way the new layout spaces itself out on the screen.

My thoughts too. I didn't like the black skin very much, its now IMO much much nicer. Thanks :)