IGNORED

Suggestion: ban all cable debates

8 minutes ago, SamuelTCogley said:

I've spent lots of time over the years at other audio forums, and this is one of the seamier undersides of high end audio.  In my experience, some forum posters who fancied themselves as the Next Up And Coming Audiophile Social Media Personality would relentlessly flog a particular manufacturer's products (usually cables) and make it a point to be a visible shill at audio shows in an effort to get product either at a significant discount, or even for free.  Then to prime the pump even further, would post lots of pictures of the show in the form of a "report" (a "service" to fellow audiophiles) and be sure to name drop the A-Listers, with copious use of superlatives like, "awesome", "incredible", "mind blowing", etc.

Personally, if someone got a product for free, or at a discount because of their "relationship" with the vendor, their "honest" review of the product is nearly meaningless, if not completely so.

Having to use such methods would suggest very few folks are making money in the audiophile cable business (I grant you, not for lack of trying).  Either that, or substantially fewer folks are successful at getting free/discounted product than attempt to do so by this method.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Just now, Jud said:

Having to use such methods would suggest very few folks are making money in the audiophile cable business (I grant you, not for lack of trying).  Either that, or substantially fewer folks are successful at getting free/discounted product than attempt to do so by this method.

I know of a particular member on another forum that had a LOT of cable and associated gear from a particular manufacturer.  Perhaps this is the exception rather than the rule.  My point is the high profit margin of boutique cables makes this possible.

1 minute ago, SamuelTCogley said:

My point is the high profit margin of boutique cables makes this possible.

1. Set high margin.

2. Profit!

:D

(Just teasing.)

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Also, TOSLink using cheap plastic cables lacks the bandwdith for even 44.1/16, forget about 96 or 192. Cheap LED transmitters, all sorts of internal reflections in the cable, etc, destroys its performance. Super-fine quartz-glass cables with highly polished tips help a great deal by minimizing internal reflections.

ST-Link using expensive AT&T optical transmitters was an effort to implement a high-quality optical connection for audio but that went nowhere.

1 hour ago, GUTB said:

Also, TOSLink using cheap plastic cables lacks the bandwdith for even 44.1/16, forget about 96 or 192. Cheap LED transmitters, all sorts of internal reflections in the cable, etc, destroys its performance. Super-fine quartz-glass cables with highly polished tips help a great deal by minimizing internal reflections.

ST-Link using expensive AT&T optical transmitters was an effort to implement a high-quality optical connection for audio but that went nowhere.

I agree that a real fiber optic solution would have set the standard.  But I suspect manufacturers were looking at interface viability at the sub-$200 price point, so we got a red LED and plastic cable.  Glass cable solutions that hit the correct cable diameter specification are almost impossible to find.  As far as I know, any glass TOSLINK cable is out of spec.  Doesn't mean it doesn't perform though.

The irony is that a lot of the hideously over-priced cable products are not worth either a significant discount, or even for free...

What about Ethernet?  What are the pitfalls, and engineering needs for high SQ?

And what about WiFi? (mea culpa - I use Apple's Airplay over Wifi to feed my ARC/Sunfire/Maggies and it sounds fine).  Once the bigger, new Maggies get here I may want to address the digital feed.

5 hours ago, GUTB said:

I have found that it is more a question of the quality of the two optical couplers than it is the cable itself. Some TOSLINK transducers have enough bandwidth to successfully and reliably transfer 24/192, many will only do 24/96 and the very cheapest are only good for 16/44.1. Often, when people complain about optical cable performance, it's not the cable at fault, it's one or both of the optical couplers. 

George

5 hours ago, gmgraves said:

I have found that it is more a question of the quality of the two optical couplers than it is the cable itself. Some TOSLINK transducers have enough bandwidth to successfully and reliably transfer 24/192, many will only do 24/96 and the very cheapest are only good for 16/44.1. Often, when people complain about optical cable performance, it's not the cable at fault, it's one or both of the optical couplers. 

I think you are correct about this.  I have some of the 'nicer' Monoprice toslink.  Less than $14 for 50 ft.  You really aren't supposed to use toslink that long.  I have tested it with some okay gear and it causes no jitter beyond coax with that gear.  Not even at 96 khz.  I have used a Pioneer DVD that had bad jitter on toslink, but not coax.  And seen the jitter measurement from a couple apple products over toslink be pretty horrible.  I don't think the basic plastic optical cable is a big impediment anymore.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

So guys who buy really expensive cables are imagining things and are dummies because scientifically it can't be proven, but it is ok to use software such as Audio Optimizer or debate USB vs hdmi etc. even though none of this can also be proven to help or be better than the other.

The same principle should apply. If one buys more expensive cables and hears a difference than on his system there is a difference. Just like if one of you add on AO and hear a difference then there is most likely a difference. Amazing how some of you think you know what others can and cannot hear.

20 minutes ago, Danaudio said:

So guys who buy really expensive cables are imagining things and are dummies because scientifically it can't be proven, but it is ok to use software such as Audio Optimizer or debate USB vs hdmi etc. even though none of this can also be proven to help or be better than the other.

The same principle should apply. If one buys more expensive cables and hears a difference than on his system there is a difference. Just like if one of you add on AO and hear a difference then there is most likely a difference. Amazing how some of you think you know what others can and cannot hear.

I think those who suggest there is no audible difference with expensive cables also suggest there is no audible difference for many of the other things you list.

It is very easy for anyone to fool one's self with expectation bias, especially if one has made an investment in expensive cables.  But if one really can reliably hear differences under conditions that control for expectation bias (eg: double-blind tests), then, yes, those differences must really exist, ipso facto. Strangely, no one seems to be able to produce that kind of result.  If they did, most of us skeptics would shut up and go away.

This has nothing to do with arrogance.  Quite the opposite; it is about intellectual humility. In other words, one should be able to clearly and simply state under what conditions they would accept that they have been proven wrong.  The cable believers never do that.

Let your ears decide. Most of my cable upgrades have represented a noticeable improvement. One stand-out exception was a $600 pair of interconnects from AntiCables (6.2 ABSOLUTE Signature), which, after a lengthy burn-in process and multiple head-to-head tests with an old set of no-name cables made from pro cable stock I had lying in the basement for over 10 years, I couldn't detect ANY difference between them. I started a thread on Audiogon about it, and lots of people came forward to defend the AntiCables, but I just couldn't hear the difference. So I ended up just returning them for a refund.

But my other cable upgrades have been successes to varying degrees:

LessLoss Original ($600) - significant improvement to both of my DACs. In fact, I consider it a mandatory component of a DAC now. 

Audio Sensibility Testament power cable ($300) - huge improvement both my old headphone amp and DAC in my old home, but in my new home it doesn't make nearly as large of an impact.

Audio Sensibility Testament speaker cables ($400) - significant improvement over some inexpensive OFC cables from Amazon. I have actually ordered a set of Blue Jeans 10-gauge cables to perform a head-to-head test against quality pro cables.

Audio Sensibility Statement SE XLR cables ($300) - minor but noticeable improvement over a set of Cables Matters XLRs (cheap, OFC 16 gauge).

I also just a pair of Maze Audio (eBay seller) 4-conductor braided 8 gauge cables with el-cheapo clone Oyaide plugs. $100 a piece. They are burning in now, I will compare them with my other cables.

I also have a set of World's Best Cables interconnects (Belden stock, decent plugs, directional control) that I've been meaning to test against my old no-names.

1 hour ago, GUTB said:

Let your ears decide. Most of my cable upgrades have represented a noticeable improvement. One stand-out exception was a $600 pair of interconnects from AntiCables (6.2 ABSOLUTE Signature), which, after a lengthy burn-in process and multiple head-to-head tests with an old set of no-name cables made from pro cable stock I had lying in the basement for over 10 years, I couldn't detect ANY difference between them. I started a thread on Audiogon about it, and lots of people came forward to defend the AntiCables, but I just couldn't hear the difference. So I ended up just returning them for a refund.

But my other cable upgrades have been successes to varying degrees:

LessLoss Original ($600) - significant improvement to both of my DACs. In fact, I consider it a mandatory component of a DAC now. 

Audio Sensibility Testament power cable ($300) - huge improvement both my old headphone amp and DAC in my old home, but in my new home it doesn't make nearly as large of an impact.

Audio Sensibility Testament speaker cables ($400) - significant improvement over some inexpensive OFC cables from Amazon. I have actually ordered a set of Blue Jeans 10-gauge cables to perform a head-to-head test against quality pro cables.

Audio Sensibility Statement SE XLR cables ($300) - minor but noticeable improvement over a set of Cables Matters XLRs (cheap, OFC 16 gauge).

I also just a pair of Maze Audio (eBay seller) 4-conductor braided 8 gauge cables with el-cheapo clone Oyaide plugs. $100 a piece. They are burning in now, I will compare them with my other cables.

I also have a set of World's Best Cables interconnects (Belden stock, decent plugs, directional control) that I've been meaning to test against my old no-names.

I'm telling you man, your ears are liars.  Big time deceivers.  Like little Lucifers on each side of your brain.  The left Lucifer and the right Lucifer with your brain stuck right in the middle.  Don't take your eyes off of them.  They'll spin you a tale every time.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

6 hours ago, Danaudio said:

None of those things are likely to make a difference.

59 minutes ago, mansr said:

None of those things are likely to make a difference.

Why wouldn't USB vs HDMI not make a difference? Are you claiming that the digital signal integrity doesn't matter? Analog cables aside, changes within the digital realm have given me some very solid differences(pro and con)- even on DACs that resample/upsample.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

3 hours ago, esldude said:

I'm telling you man, your ears are liars.  Big time deceivers.  Like little Lucifers on each side of your brain.  The left Lucifer and the right Lucifer with your brain stuck right in the middle.  Don't take your eyes off of them.  They'll spin you a tale every time.

Actually it's the eyeballs :-)

1 hour ago, mansr said:

Can't trust eyes or ears. I always rely on my nose, and I've found many expensive cables to have a distinct farmyard aroma.

Please get a medical check for sinusitis!

Modern farmyards have I nice aroma to my nose, contrary to the Metro (Subway) and a lot of Cabs (Taxis)...

As you can see everything is a matter of taste.

For one example:why-do-dogs-eat-poop.thumb.jpg.a5b4f853b295d8df8156c70d8602ce93.jpg

From another side I'm scare of some member hallucinations... Or is him visited by Lucifer?

I wonder each time somebody talks about audio cable differences the 5 to 7 members than can't discern chime with ferocity.

C'mon guys live and let live, and don't worry for other people money, is their money, not yours :)

Roch

4 minutes ago, elcorso said:

C'mon guys live and let live, and don't worry for other people money, is their money, not yours :)

Roch

Part of the reason to come here is to share experiences, and help each other cut through a lot of the BS that pervades this industry.

My parents used to think that if they read something in the newspaper, it must be true. Some people new to this hobby may be led to believe that a $500 cable is going to perform better than a $50 cable. 10x better? 2x better? I think I hear a difference after burning it in for 150 hours?

Only way to know without spending the cash is to try to draw a consensus from others who express opinions based on their own experiences. That info costs nothing, a good thing.

26 minutes ago, wwaldmanfan said:

Part of the reason to come here is to share experiences, and help each other cut through a lot of the BS that pervades this industry.

My parents used to think that if they read something in the newspaper, it must be true. Some people new to this hobby may be led to believe that a $500 cable is going to perform better than a $50 cable. 10x better? 2x better? I think I hear a difference after burning it in for 150 hours?

Only way to know without spending the cash is to try to draw a consensus from others who express opinions based on their own experiences. That info costs nothing, a good thing.

We need to recognize it is not necessarily a way to *know*.  Our eyes and ears may indeed be fooling us, and we simply need to be OK with that.

On the other hand, I have not seen  research that proves the efficacy of double blind testing in the case of audio cables, and I have seen research (and have provided a few citations here on the forums) that makes me think there could be a problem of false negatives.  So unless there's research proving efficacy that someone can point out to me, we should be OK with skepticism on that point.

As long as everyone's OK with due skepticism and doesn't treat his own view as conclusively proven, I think we're OK here.  Pace.