IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

45 minutes ago, witchdoctor said:

Spoken like a true scientist...NOT
You and @mansr should attend the AES meeting in NY and meet some REAL scientists:

http://www.aes.org/events/143/specialevents/?ID=5624

Someone’s gotta pay for the meeting. As said by ?Jimmy Carter I’m a member for the articles ? http://www.hbs.edu/faculty/Publication Files/10-018.pdf

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

1 minute ago, Archimago said:

Please, let's not be so concrete in our thinking. If it was only about the $10/month, that would not be an issue.

t's the idea that the system would even consider standardizing on something that many here feel to be a backward step in the broader issues of fidelity, potential for progress and benefit to the consumer (eg. unclear DRM implications).

The basic principle is that data formats should be open, documented by an open implementation though other  implementations can be proprietary.

The idea of standardizing on a proprietary closed format is to be strongly avoided.

A whimpy counter argument is a joke.

42 minutes ago, witchdoctor said:

If Bruno is the engineer he claims to be he should invent something better than MQA instead of going around whining about it.

He nailed the issue. A convolution is a convolution is a convolution. “Deblurring” we’ve been doing since the 1970s but seriously in the 1980s. I’d say the only quibble would be that with a CPU as opposed to hardware, the resolution of the convolution kernel is not limited. Do it in HQPlayer — room correction, the whole shebang. Get one of those new Intel CPUs and an NVidia P100 and go to town. Multichannel DSD512 beats any pathetic MQA. Math is math. If MQA can’t be represented as a convolution then let’s see the math. Ain’t there until you show me otherwise. I don’t need to “listen” to know this with mathematical certainty.

1 minute ago, witchdoctor said:

However they are monumentally important to the ARTISTS! If an artist puts their music out they want it to be heard as intended, period.

Some of my very good friends who are artists used to get serious $$$ yearly in the days of Telarc etc and we’re more interested in the SQ of their recordings. Those residuals have dropped off to a few thousand a year and they aren’t so interested in recording. Artists by and large make their $$$ on live performances nowadays. That’s how folks can hear their music exactly as intended.

6 minutes ago, witchdoctor said:

Now if you want a hit over your head, in your face, improvement in SQ that people from 8 to 80 will appreciate come visit my thread on immersive audio (or just go down and experience it yourself at your local theater).

I think there is potential for immersive audio. The experience I am looking for would be something like “being there”. I get to be there up front and close and our systems aren’t there yet. (Complex issue) that said, I don’t see MQA as being relevant to this solution — immersive multichannel is an entirely different kettle of fish.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
33 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

I have seen scientists do worse, but only herpetologists...

I remember going out for drinks with a couple of astronomers who had differing views on whether Pluto was a planet! I heated discussion occurred but I only remember the Tequila :)  What I remember is thinking: can someone make a career out of studying one planet? Years later this debate came out in the press ... (not the one at the bar)!

1 minute ago, Lee Scoggins said:

Some corrections here:

1.  They have sold the software to the studios which came after testing done by all the individual labels.  MQA offers a cloud service so the studios can batch process files that way.

2.  There is new innovation here as MQA has invested time in building a deblurring filter for most of the studio ADCs.  Then they further figured out how to use machine learning to ID the ADC and deploy a deblurring filter.

If that's really an innovation, then why don't I see 24/192 or whatever files that have been deblurred? If that's the innovation, then why do you want to f*ck up my DAC?

image.png.97a4a450336204152e8ced1b0817160a.png

err DAC!

29 minutes ago, Paul R said:

If you reverse engineered the software, you probably did something that is actionable. I do not know, and I am not a lawyer or giving any legal advice

IANAL either, but interestingly MQA explicitly claims NOT to contain DRM, so AFAIK the DMCA doesn't apply. I think that if MQA claimed to be DRM then DMCA might apply ... 

I'd assume that if there were any real IP (again "temporal" deblurring is not a new concept ... see wavelets etc) then IP infringement might be an issue

• 3 months later...
On 6/28/2019 at 3:25 PM, Paul R said:

I find it amusing that Apple is always made out to be the bad guy, running a closed garden, while the rest of the world knows better and uses open source goodies. Even if there is a little tiny bit of truth in that. 😁

So, without Apple, portable music would still be defined as cassettes, perhaps CDs. It would be portable because people would lug then around in backpacks or such. Instead, pretty much everyone has access to almost any music they want to listen to, anytime, anywhere, and on pretty much any device. Thank Apple and their flood of imitators that followed. The freeware / open source software was created more to imitate Apple than to lead the way forward. Not always the case of course, and Apple did create their own supported versions of some existing music formats, including FLAC. Support was important in those days!

Yes! MP3 isn’t a free (IP) format. By Apple you mean iTunes here. They created the music download business — they also demolished the closed/locked cell phone ecosystem for those of us who remember when the only apps you could get on your phone were available from AT&T or Verizon on Motorola. Yuck!

So now our cellphones run ARM and have Wi-Fi and cellular. I’m happy to cede a good measure of control to Apple in exchange for my phone not crashing at critical moments. 

But honestly! It plays music, makes calls, holds my calendar, is a browser, is a camera, operates my Sony camera, stores photos & movies. It also gives my maps, and tells me where to drive to in the morning!

Sony never had the vision to give us this. 

1 hour ago, Sal1950 said:

Whoa, Linus Torvalds should get a whiff of that post.  😖

Linus hasn’t gotten so involved in applications. @Paul R is talking about iTunes ... it seems as though the world is moving away from iTunes to streaming services. Roon is the latest to tackle the music library browser business. They don’t have a Linux desktop library browser. I’d love to see a cutting edge open source Linux desktop music library manager app — where is it? (The DLNA / uPNP stuff just doesn’t cut it for me)

1 hour ago, Paul R said:

I missed something, what music is only available in MQA? Streaming does not count unless you can’t buy a CD or Download of the music. Admittedly, I only spent 20 minutes looking, and I did not look on Tidal. 

On one hand MQA is harmless because its yet another proprietary compression format which promises to be better yet isn't.

On the other hand its a proprietary locked format and proprietary formats are intrinsically evil and so deserving of vehement disapproval.

On one hand Tidal is owned by artists and I would thus wish it well.

On the other hand Tidal uses a proprietary format and thus I won't use it and hope it fails.

5 minutes ago, StreamHiRes said:

You are misinforming the public with unsubstantiated claims of MQA authentication indicators being a marketing ploy. Show me a file that is not MQA, but can somehow mysteriously indicate it is authentic. This site seems to be for few critics of MQA, and that’s fine. It’s good to vent. I’d much rather believe  Bob Ludwig than some critical anonymous people online.

You are misinforming the public about your own so-called unbiased impressions.

Why should I believe "Bob Ludwig"? Is he unbiased?

Since anyone can say anything about anything on the Internet, I choose to listen to recommendations from individuals that have proven their advice to be worthy. The so-called "anonymous" people have perfectly good Internet names that I trust far more than the so-called "Bob Ludwig" who means nothing to me.