IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

On 8/23/2017 at 11:11 PM, Charles Hansen said:

It never ceases to amaze me why people on internet forums choose to attack those "in the biz" whether reviewers, biz owners, biz  reps, whomever, especially over perceived syntax idiosyncrasies or opinions.

The undisguised snark, self-superior attitude does nothing but make the poster look like an a$$hole.

I think I even saw fan-boy in one of the posts.

Really? Fan-Boy?

I don't agree with everything Charles Hansen has posted but that's beside the point and I'm positive he wouldn't agree with a lot of mine.

SFW?

I know these guys don't GAS about this stuff but one would think that after all these years people would get over themselves & grow up.

One other thing, why does this bloody forum software assume I want to quote a post when I only click Reply to this topic & won't allow me to delete it.

15 minutes ago, Milt99 said:

It never ceases to amaze me why people on internet forums choose to attack those "in the biz" whether reviewers, biz owners, biz  reps, whomever, especially over perceived syntax idiosyncrasies or opinions.

The undisguised snark, self-superior attitude does nothing but make the poster look like an a$$hole.

I think I even saw fan-boy in one of the posts.

Really? Fan-Boy?

I don't agree with everything Charles Hansen has posted but that's beside the point and I'm positive he wouldn't agree with a lot of mine.

SFW?

I know these guys don't GAS about this stuff but one would think that after all these years people would get over themselves & grow up.

Amen!  

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

24 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Look for another streaming service to announce MQA partnership September 4th. 

HDMusicStream (HDtracks) is my guess. The HDmusicStream service will use MQA technology to deliver studio quality music, while 7digital will handle app development, host the music catalogue on its platform and deliver tracks to consumers.

The Truth Is Out There

On 9/1/2017 at 3:17 PM, Rt66indierock said:

Back to MQA a few comments on the MQA press release.

Thanks for the analysis.  Makes the "Major Announcement" press release kind of look pathetic and like it has a hint of desperation to it! :)

If you have a good product it should almost sell itself.  The fact the MQA is 'working hard' to sell their technology this long after the initial announcement says a lot.  And the talk about how it takes time to establish the the market has a whif of BS, again the technology should be selling itself by now, IMO.

Jim

48 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Look for another streaming service to announce MQA partnership September 4th. 

And this is why Chris maintains his strained "neutral" stance. If he took sides against the industry, he'd lose this early access to coming developments. Without access to insiders, any publication is dead.

2 hours ago, mansr said:

And this is why Chris maintains his strained "neutral" stance. If he took sides against the industry, he'd lose this early access to coming developments. Without access to insiders, any publication is dead.

I guess you woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.  Have you said anything meaningful this week.  Just like your LinkedIn page states, one of your skills is trolling.

You do make things entertaining around here.  You have so much talent and knowledge , I wish you would share more of this. 

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

2 hours ago, ShawnC said:

I wish you would share more of this. 

To be quite fair (or even just reasonable), thousands of A+ and SoX users benefit every day from mansr’s knowledge and work bringing DSD resampling capabilities to those pieces of software.

I sometimes share your wish that he might lean a little more toward the helpful and a little less toward the acerbic.  But overall I must say his participation here has been much to my benefit and that of many others.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

2 hours ago, Jud said:

To be quite fair (or even just reasonable), thousands of A+ and SoX users benefit every day from mansr’s knowledge and work bringing DSD resampling capabilities to those pieces of software.

I sometimes share your wish that he might lean a little more toward the helpful and a little less toward the acerbic.  But overall I must say his participation here has been much to my benefit and that of many others.

+1

9 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Good guess, but that one is the worst kept secret in HiFi. 

This one is different. 

Interesting. My guess is Deezer.

As long as its not Spotify or Pandora it won't matter much. If they get either of those it's going to get really interesting vis-a-vis Apple, Amazon & Google.

12 hours ago, ShawnC said:

I guess you woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.  Have you said anything meaningful this week.  Just like your LinkedIn page states, one of your skills is trolling.

That Linkedin "skill" is a joke between friends.

12 hours ago, ShawnC said:

You do make things entertaining around here.  You have so much talent and knowledge, I wish you would share more of this. 

I might be more motivated to do so if I weren't so often ridiculed on the grounds of being an engineer.

3 hours ago, Jud said:

On that score I think you give as good as you get, or to put it slightly differently, you set the terms of discussion. Many non-engineers perceive what they say as being attacked by you, and attack back.  There are certainly engineers on the site who manage to convey engineering information in a fashion that doesn’t raise hackles personally.

Same could be said to a lawyer I know here. ;)

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

3 hours ago, mansr said:

Sure, I too could couch established facts of maths and physics as personal opinion and play along with the notion that everything, and then some, is audible. I'm just not willing to do that since I consider such behaviour dishonest.

Good drugs could help you get in sync with the mass illusion.  :)

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

On 9/2/2017 at 6:14 PM, Michael Lavorgna said:

This is not accurate. I have been saying, since I reviewed MQA last year, that the DAC is more important and it doesn't have to be "(expensive)". See my recent round-up of all-in-one devices for more on this subject.

You made that "(expensive)" bit up to fit your narrative, something you seem to have a habit of doing.

Michael you are right on time I will gladly listen to any argument you want to make that a Totaldac is not expensive. But when you said your Totaldac “made me reach much much deeper into my savings” I believed you. I read your roundup and I read more evidence MQA is not important to you. So I’m keeping you on the anti MQA side. It’s my scorecard and that’s where you fit.

This means whoever Steven Stone was referring to when he tossed the following insult at me will be contacting you shortly. “Do you write for the Wall Street Journal? Your comments indicate an anti-MQA bias, which is not a good position for a journalist... I wonder who decided that.

21 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

Michael you are right on time I will gladly listen to any argument you want to make that a Totaldac is not expensive. But when you said your Totaldac “made me reach much much deeper into my savings” I believed you. I read your roundup and I read more evidence MQA is not important to you. So I’m keeping you on the anti MQA side. It’s my scorecard and that’s where you fit.

This means whoever Steven Stone was referring to when he tossed the following insult at me will be contacting you shortly. “Do you write for the Wall Street Journal? Your comments indicate an anti-MQA bias, which is not a good position for a journalist... I wonder who decided that.

From Audiostream,  Michaels position  https://www.audiostream.com/content/against-mqa-unfolded

My Official MQA Position
Who cares what my official MQA position is? OK, for those that do care, I don't have one. And I don't have one because a) it doesn't matter, and b) it doesn't matter. What I do have is experience. This matters.

And my experience tells me that MQA can make recorded music sound better (see my review of MQA). In some cases much, much better. I've never heard MQA processing make music sound worse.

You may agree, you may disagree. In either case, my experience does not change. You can question my motives, but then you'd just be being silly.

The Truth Is Out There

19 hours ago, mav52 said:

With all of this Vaporware talk since Jan, it appears this vapor has been compressed by MQA and the music labels into a liquid and it's now flowing but not stopping. :S

Actually MQA is still vaporware. It will take another 6,000 or so albums to turn the vapor into a liquid. It will stay a liquid for quite a while since the next hurdle is 1% of the albums available to get MQA out of commercially viable discussions.