IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

57 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I think the contracts should include whatever the parties agree upon. 

I'm sure many people would love to get paid for their work in perpetuity and every time someone enjoys it, but that doesn't happen in the real world. Only in the entertainment industry. 

I bet the developers of macOS and Windows would love to get paid every time the OS is used :~)

Don't forget all the other stuff in contracts required by law.

Well I like it when you die I file a final tax return then there are trust returns and maybe an estate return. Maybe not perpetuity but it works for me.

The developers of macOS and Windows do you mean Xerox?

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I bet the developers of macOS and Windows would love to get paid every time the OS is used :~)

They're trying...with software subscriptions /SaaS.  At least with software there's some rationale for it what with the need for security/maintenance updates and being delivered new features automatically. 

41 minutes ago, crenca said:

Well factually, the culture and prevailing business conditions matter just as much if not more than the legal technicalities and whether someone is "holding a gun to their head" so to speak.  

I recently purchased a new car.  I got the safest one I could get in it's class, but the fact is it is not very safe.  If I were to crash it at 45mph, I would most likely be seriously injured (if I survived).  However, race cars can be crashed at 145mph and the driver will suffer less injury than I would at 45mph.  Why?  Because the "culture" of racing is such that he has access to tech that I don't.  I did not purchase my car "under duress", but then if I want access to the modern economy so I need a car and the market is such that it allows me access only to unsafe cars (even if the modern car is safer than it was 10, 20, 30 years ago).

Obviously, the music industry is such that in reality artists have highly restricted options.  Indeed, the word "options" seems to lose most of its meaning in the current business conditions...

I respectfully disagree. 

Cars offered to the public are what the public wants to purchase. We trade safety for convenience and reduced cost. If the public wanted to sit in a car with a roll cage and a body that broke apart into hundreds of pieces upon impact to disperse the energy, then the car companies would sell us that technology. 

You have the option of creating this on your own, by building a roll cage in your car and modifying it, or purchasing a race car and making it street legal. 

Nobody forced you to buy that car. You could move closer to work and ride a bike or walk.

If I make a record today, I am not limited by anything. I can sell directly to consumers and I can get my music on streaming services if it's good enough. I don't need a record deal to do anything. It's a choice artists make to sell their soul art, for the chance at riches. Ask Macklemore & Ryan Lewis. They were smarter than the other guys. They hired a subsidiary of Universal to get them into markets, but didn't sign any record deal. they kept 100% of the money made from their records. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Some info from IFA

UNDER EMBARGO UNTIL 31 AUGUST 2017

13:15 CET / 12:15 UK TIME

IFA 2017: MQA EXPANDS GLOBAL REACH ON SMARTPHONE, PORTABLE DEVICES & MUSIC SERVICES

London / Berlin, 31 August 2017 – Music technology company, MQA, announces a breadth of partnership news at the IFA consumer electronics show in Berlin.  Developed for convenient delivery and unmatched audio quality, MQA technology will now be embedded in LG’s new V30 smartphone, the first globally available MQA-enabled handset.  MQA music playback will also be available on the two latest portable devices from Sony’s iconic Walkman brand, the WM-ZX300 and WM-A40 models.  Both portable players are capable of playing back downloaded MQA music.

Said MQA CEO, Mike Jbara, of the latest news, “Our announcements at IFA illustrate the global presence and diverse footprint of MQA.  We’re inspired by the energy and enthusiasm of our partners to keep pushing the opportunities to access master quality audio.”

New MQA Streaming Partners

Korean-based hi-res streaming service, Groovers, has confirmed it is working on MQA mobile and desktop implementation for its platform, due to launch by the end of 2017.  This follows recent news from b2b digital music solutions provider, 7digital, that it will be powering a forthcoming hi-res streaming service, HDmusicStream, using MQA technology to deliver studio quality audio.  

Current live music download partner, nugs.net, offers thousands of on-demand concerts from artists including Metallica, Bruce Springsteen and Dead & Company.  This autumn, the nugs.net HiFi tier will offer MQA streaming on iOS and desktop players.

MQA Music Availability Grows

Universal Music Group, the world-leader in music-based entertainment, is working closely with MQA to encode its vast library of recordings in MQA's technology.

Further reinforcing MQA’s mobile footprint expansion, Pioneer and Onkyo will be showcasing TIDAL Masters mobile streaming on their latest Digital Audio Players, the XDP-30R and DP-S1 models, at the IFA trade fair.

Sonic Studio’s Amarra Luxe 4.1 media player, enabling all the benefits of the MQA experience for local playback and streaming of high resolution music, is scheduled for release in September 2017.

On the download front, Japan-based music store, e-onkyo music, has announced the expansion of their MQA music offering, with the addition of Warner Music Group’s hi-res catalogue in MQA, which will be available for the first time in the region in the coming weeks.

Meanwhile, Onkyo Music store, which serves Germany, UK and the US, will also be offering MQA music, as it rolls out a redesigned store front throughout September.  Existing download stores, including HIGHRESAUDIO, continue to add more MQA music as it becomes available.

Hi-Res Keynote Features MQA

MQA’s CEO, Mike Jbara, will take part in a keynote discussion at IFA, organised by the Digital Entertainment Group (DEG) and hosted by Sony Electronics, on Friday 1 September at 14:00 [Hall 20 101]. “The Future of Hi-Res Audio” panel will also feature Morvan Boury (VP, Global Business Development, Sony Music Entertainment), Michael Drexler (VP, Digital Strategy at Warner Music), and Bill Gagnon (UMG’s SVP Business Development) as fellow panelists.

MQA will be supporting partner demonstrations at this year’s IFA, including new MQA hardware partner, iFi Audio, who will be showing their prototype micro iDSD Black Label DAC featuring MQA integration.

-Ends-

MQA Press Contacts [email protected] | [email protected]

Press Site for MQA www.mqa.co.uk/press

About MQA

Using pioneering scientific research into how people hear, the MQA team has created a technology that captures the sound of the original studio performance. The master MQA file is fully authenticated and is small enough to stream, while also being backward compatible, so you can play MQA music on any device. MQA’s award-winning technology is licensed by labels, music services and hardware manufacturers worldwide and is certified by the RIAA. MQA is a UK-based private company.

For more information visit www.mqa.co.uk

Follow MQA on: Facebook  Twitter  You Tube

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Just now, Ralf11 said:

You are not right.  Duress is a very flexible term and few struggling artists can afford attorneys to enforce their rights anyway.

Provide one factual example where an artist has been forced to sign a contract. 

If you want a chance at riches, signing a record deal is the old school way of trying to get there. Nobody is forced to follow the old paradigm.

Just now, Ralf11 said:

You are not right about cars either.  Manfs. have kept information on safety from buyers, and the same for pollution controls.

Utopia is full of unicorns but is hard to reach.

Please provide facts that suggest people want breakaway cars that are incredibly expensive to fix and they want roll cages in their vehicles. 

Just now, rando said:

040417-music-suge-knight-tupac.jpg

Tupac wasn't forced at all. Death Row offered him tons of money when he got out of jail to join the label.

Suge Knight did force people into some strange things, but that was under duress and wasn't lawful. If anyone actually thinks this is the norm, I have a bridge in NYC to sell them.

8 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Please provide facts that suggest people want breakaway cars that are incredibly expensive to fix and they want roll cages in their vehicles. 

I am surprised that you would distort my posts in this way.  I assume you are having a bad day.  Nonetheless, you are completely wrong about this.

2 hours ago, crenca said:

Because the "culture" of racing is such that he has access to tech that I don't.  I did not purchase my car "under duress", but then if I want access to the modern economy so I need a car and the market is such that it allows me access only to unsafe cars

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Cars offered to the public are what the public wants to purchase. We trade safety for convenience and reduced cost. If the public wanted to sit in a car with a roll cage and a body that broke apart into hundreds of pieces upon impact to disperse the energy, then the car companies would sell us that technology. 

You have the option of creating this on your own, by building a roll cage in your car and modifying it, or purchasing a race car and making it street legal. 

Nobody forced you to buy that car. You could move closer to work and ride a bike or walk.

23 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

You are not right about cars either.  Manfs. have kept information on safety from buyers, and the same for pollution controls.

Utopia is full of unicorns but is hard to reach.

Here you try to move the conversation away from what I said. Sure they have kept safety info from consumers, but that's unrelated to the market conditions of breakaway cars and roll cages that I mentioned. 

22 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I tried to bring it back to the facts I mentioned in the context of the original post.

13 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

I am surprised that you would distort my posts in this way.  I assume you are having a bad day.  Nonetheless, you are completely wrong about this.

You go on the attack suggesting I'm having a bad day and that I distorted your post. 

If you want to discuss corporations that hide facts from consumers, that's a totally different thing. It has nothing to do with what safety features are offered and why.

6 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Cars offered to the public are what the public wants to purchase. We trade safety for convenience and reduced cost.

I agree on the causes, but the effect is the same - I have no real options because of a homogeneous market where every new vehicle is more or less the same as far as safety.  Along with 99.9% of the market, I don't have the requisite skills to modify a car to the safety standards I want.  Excepting perhaps a handful of the largest American cities, biking/walking/public transit is not a realistic option in the modern economy (certainly not for those with children).  Sure, I could sit out the modern economy somehow (become a ward of the state, or perhaps join a commune??)...but that is not realistic either.

I only used transportation as an analogy because it is something I am familiar with.  Pick your poison(ed market), there are plenty of other examples.  The reality I am pointing to is  if a musical artist wants to make a living as an artist, he does not really have that many options (though as you point out a few exist).  I am not sure what emphasizing the free market (something I support) does over and against the reality of a market that is limited and largely controlled by a small amount of powerful players or is otherwise limited.

I think the MQA phone you posted about is an important development - getting MQA into a majority of phones would go a long way to getting MQA as a standard/format.

tangent:  One of the large manufacturers (Ford if memory serves) admitted that a roll cage like safety cage (one that actually allowed doors) that gives near race car like crash worthiness would add about $2500 to the price of every new vehicle.  Nobody does it because the market is such they can't risk it....

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

Let's play nice ALL

Don't force the shutdown of a valuable thread in a nasty argument over things that are basically off topic.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.