IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

2 minutes ago, crenca said:

This was actually my point to @Archimago& @Doug Schneider - that things are not really changing in Audiophiledom to a more objective, reality and evidence based engineering and fidelity culture.  MQA might be a fraud too far for Audiophiledom, but that's not because there is a trend to a more objective/technology based audio culture...

Actually I think things are changing. Many in the press aren't happy about it. At RMAF last year there was a seminar about high performance audio centered around $500 for a headphone system.  As I prepare for this years RMAF I'm listening to an almost too good headphone system. A Neurochrome HP-1 headphone amp, Gustard DACX26 DAC and Sennheiser  HD-650 headphones all for about $3,000. Substitute a Drop THX AAA789 and a March Audio DAC1 and you're down to just over a grand. 

And like Jud my morning walks are just fine with an IPod Shuffle and AKG 450 headphones. And have been for years.

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Agree 100%. But, we can only control what we purchase. I wish we could control the sound of our favorite albums. 

I kind of agreed with you (with frustrated conditions)  -- you know the kind of thing on my mind all of the time -- we can buy the very best, super high quality audio gear of all stripes and colors (and even go for high quality 'coloring'), but the source material SOMETIMES is lacking.

Definitely no begruding esoteric gear, even though sometimes it is frustrating, and not even irritated with the mastering engineers when mastering is allowed.  Much of the material that reaches our homes is disgusting -- considering the money being spent, and the enjoyment that really clean/good material would support.

This is NOT intended to advocate my project -- because my project is the result of my own frustration.  I lost my own 'audiophile' hobby back in the late '80s after giving up -- little good source material other than Sheffield labs or similar.  Starting in the '80s, we were supposedly going to have super quality audio recordings in our homes, but ended up with messy stuff.

Please, I never intend to be rude -- please interpret my statements result from frustration and almost NEVER personal irritation against individuals.   Whenver needed, I ascribe to disagreement with good humor, not personal attacks.  I respect you and most people on this forum (even some of those not currently visiting), PLEASE never interpret my sometimes frustrated & strident comments as being personal.

John

11 minutes ago, botrytis said:

Are these the same Cisco routers that have flawed chips inside that can't be patched? Or are they the ones that were open to attack and were patched 1 yr after the fault was identified? Cisco doesn't have a great rep on those.

Switches, not routers. Internal to the network.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

9 minutes ago, John Dyson said:

Most likely (cynical again), a distributed 192/24 copy will not sound as good as a freshly minted decode.  The distributors JUST DONT CARE.

What would the reason(s) for the difference be?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, lucretius said:

You really think Audioengine is "near state of the art"?

Yes, their better stuff. As I said, speakers are somewhat different from other components because there are large changes in sound when you pay more money. However, in comparison to other small bookshelf speakers they certainly are near state of the art.

The biggest difference you get with more expensive speakers is deeper bass and more ability to fill a room, especially at louder volumes. From upper bass to the high end relatively inexpensive speakers are not a lot different in sound from expensive ones.

The HD6 is quite good sounding. How different do you think it sounds from a $2000 or $3000 set of conventional bookshelf speakers with an added DAC and amp? I'd say not very. Meaning it will get you 90% or 95% or maybe even 98% of the SQ. I don't really know how to put a number on it.

Aside: I heard a $25000 pair of bookshelf speakers connected to about $100k of electronics that I didn't like the sound of. Did the expensive system have more detail, etc? Yes. But I'd prefer the Audioengine in my room.

Put in another way: Can you use the HD6 to listen to 2 different masterings of the same album and hear the difference and lots of the detail in each one? Yes.

I'm not saying a more expensive system isn't better and the difference can't be heard. I'm saying the difference is small, and in audiophilia we talk about a 2% difference as if it is a 50% difference. We like to pay big bucks for these small differences. And the differences are mostly in the speakers and not in the electronics. As a result we tend to think the good quality less expensive stuff "sucks". It doesn't.

When non audiophiles ask me how much a "really good" system costs, I say $1000. Why not say $15K? Because the system is for them, not me. And I'm not lying to them.

But this is all OT, sorry.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

3 minutes ago, Jud said:

What would the reason(s) for the difference be?

I don't know -- you'd think that the distribution copies will be as good as what I can decode.  I am looking forward to hearing a distribution copy on the specific recording with strings.  I am NOT the mastering engineer, and I don't know what DolbyA decoding mechanism that they will use.   I have true DolbyA decoded versions of the material -- the best way to describe is that the sound has sharp details, but then immediately folowing the sharp details, then the details are muted, then the clarity comes back.  It is like a 'saturation' somewhere in the sound processing. 

I DO know that there are lots of recordings out there with missing detail -- I know that it is not a conspiracy, but SOMETHING is wrong.  My hearing is not SO good to be able to hear 'nothing' -- but I do hear a lot of inferior and boring sounding stuff when I do listen.

I have to admit, that in part of my comment, I became overwrought -- there ARE good recordings reaching the consumer.  I simply don't expect to be able to predict what is good or bad.  I gave up on an audio listening hobby some 30+yrs ago because I couldn't find good material, why buy good equipment, right?

John

Question for the group:

1. Outside of Tidal, what other way is MQA available?  I have seen MQA CD mentioned but how much of those cd are being bought?
  2. Are the folks who are demanding MQA in DAC are they streaming Tidal or are they insisting on it because it's a new buzz word generated by the press and they believe they are going to get left behind when they discuss new toys with folks that they know.  Oh, you do not have MQA on your DAC, that's just not right 😆
  3. I would also like to find out the ratio of folks who have the lower price (<$2000) MQA DAC with Tidal v/s higher priced DAC with Tidal usage.  The low price was picked randomly and if I as looking at low price it would be in the range of under a grand so that number is likely to change based on your preference.
35 minutes ago, firedog said:

Yes, their better stuff. As I said, speakers are somewhat different from other components because there are large changes in sound when you pay more money. However, in comparison to other small bookshelf speakers they certainly are near state of the art.

The biggest difference you get with more expensive speakers is deeper bass and more ability to fill a room, especially at louder volumes. From upper bass to the high end relatively inexpensive speakers are not a lot different in sound from expensive ones.

The HD6 is quite good sounding. How different do you think it sounds from a $2000 or $3000 set of conventional bookshelf speakers with an added DAC and amp? I'd say not very. Meaning it will get you 90% or 95% or maybe even 98% of the SQ. I don't really know how to put a number on it.

Aside: I heard a $25000 pair of bookshelf speakers connected to about $100k of electronics that I didn't like the sound of. Did the expensive system have more detail, etc? Yes. But I'd prefer the Audioengine in my room.

Put in another way: Can you use the HD6 to listen to 2 different masterings of the same album and hear the difference and lots of the detail in each one? Yes.

I'm not saying a more expensive system isn't better and the difference can't be heard. I'm saying the difference is small, and in audiophilia we talk about a 2% difference as if it is a 50% difference. We like to pay big bucks for these small differences. And as a result we tend to think the good quality less expensive stuff "sucks". It doesn't.

But this is all OT, sorry.

I cannot question someone's subjective evaluation but I did find it odd for an owner of Kii Three's to have such a positive opinion of Audioengine.  I would argue that the drivers in Audioengine speakers are nothing special (i.e. off the shelf cheap junk) and the bass from HD6's or A5+s is rather uncontrolled and woolly but this is just my subjective opinion. Here's where measurements can assist one in making a better (or more informed) decision.

mQa is dead!