IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

did you do a t-test on the chickens?

"So what do you think's good?"

"I like the burritos - wait, what are you doing?"

"Entering your information into a database I'm keeping on all my friends' recommendations, for later statistical analysis."

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

32 minutes ago, John Dyson said:

Up until recently (30yrs) media was a major issue, but now, it can be as perfect as the electronics -- then the quality issues become aspects of production....

Seems things are moving in the other direction.  Happened to be browsing in the DR Database for something else, and just look at how they've murdered R.E.M.'s oeuvre: http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/album/2?artist=R.E.M.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

12 minutes ago, Jud said:

Seems things are moving in the other direction.  Happened to be browsing in the DR Database for something else, and just look at how they've murdered R.E.M.'s oeuvre: http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/album/2?artist=R.E.M.

Your observation  is exactly correct (unfortunately.)  The really good stuff (in the past) was often afflicted by missing NR decoding, but that can easily be corrected now.

The kind of damage (compression/limiting) being done now has no inverse.  They have been pretty much 100% successful at removing all hints for dynamic range recovery.  Back until about yr2000, we were pretty safe, and even truly compressed (instead of latent NR compression) material could be at least partially recovered.  NR compression alone is (in a relative sense) 'a piece of cake' to deal with.

The BIG mistake (sorry for sounding like a 'broken record') that we made in the 1980s/1990s is that we didnt' realize that we had diamonds in the rough but no way to decode them.   Knowing what I know now, and  having what I have now, I probably would have kept my audio listening hobby -- but would have needed a time machine to get a CPU fast enough to decode the material.  Or, I could have purchased a DolbyA unit (YUCK -- really painful to use in a stereo system.)

I quit my old hobby because the CDs sounded so bad, and vinyl was tiresome to me.  We didn't realize that the CDs were fixable -- but, even designing and buidling a compatible DolbyA unit would not be fun (nearly impossible.)   Such good quality and no way to access it.

Remember that comment about 'harsh digital sound' -- it was the sound that caused me to quit.  My intellect said that 'digital' wasn't at fault  -- but SOMETHING was wrong with the recordings.   Now we know.

John

Evidently, Chris, Archimago and Doug are the only industry heads who have refused to be bought by BS and MQA.

In contrast, based on what is known, it is reasonable to assume that any audio publication/forum owner who has argued for MQA, has most certainly been bought and could care less about you the consumer, the music, or the industry.  This is an important point to remember.

For those who’ve become enamored by their favorite industry figure, this realization could be a tough pill to swallow.

1 hour ago, Currawong said:
On 8/27/2019 at 12:23 AM, lucretius said:

After sever hours, finally the link is working for me. Very strange.

International DNS has been screwy lately. I couldn't access a site using Cloudflare's DNS, and the site was using Cloudflare!  Since most of the significant, and much of the less significant web is now mirrored/distributed by Cloudflare and similar companies, a single f-up by one can break a lot of the internet.

I was using Cloudfare's DNS. Perhaps that explains it.

mQa is dead!

5 hours ago, Jud said:

Going down the list I see that an HDTracks 24/192 version (2016) of Lifes Rich Pageant has a DR score of 7, 7, & 9. That tells me that you cannot necessarily rely on hi res or HDTracks, LOL.

mQa is dead!

I am not so sure. I think they started to believe what they were writing and didn't think about anything else. Of course they were right. They are audio writing professionals. They know when something is a scam. I think that is all that happened. I think they are embarrassed now and trying to save face is all.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

13 minutes ago, esldude said:

Question for  @John_Atkinson and @Jim Austin, do you feel like you were mislead by what MQA promised/claimed early on vs what it actually is?

I don't think they will admit anything. I think they will obfuscate and deflect, like they have been doing. They think they know what is best in this situation.They don't realize the cat is out of the bag.

This is how anti-vaxxers react and why they really never admit they were wrong (very few do really).

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

7 hours ago, lucretius said:

Going down the list I see that an HDTracks 24/192 version (2016) of Lifes Rich Pageant has a DR score of 7, 7, & 9. That tells me that you cannot necessarily rely on hi res or HDTracks, LOL.

You know that you can put Tidal, MQA, HDTracks, Qobuz, etc. into the Album field search and pick up usage of those words, right?

7 hours ago, Doug Schneider said:

how these writers became the champions of the format that they didn't bother to scrutinize.

Depends what you mean by scrutinize. If you mean technical knowledge of how the thing works, who among the writers had the chops to do what people here have done? And even if they did, or had the capacity to ask others to do so, that level of analysis would have been considered at least impolite, and perhaps might even have been met with discussion of legal action.

I think a very nice example of how subjective and objective, technical reviewing can live together with equal billing is given by the Dragonfly Cobalt reviews here at AS. Nothing to that extent  was done anywhere for MQA. And if it had been, my guess is that MQA and various manufacturers would have been royally PO’d.

7 hours ago, lucretius said:

I have been mentioning the HDtracks downloads for quite a while.   I think that I have at least 3 (out of 3 or whatever) that I have purchased that are not 'right'.

Frankly, you cannot rely on anything at all now.   Remastered might mean (cleaned up/fixed) or (further damaged.)  Hi-res might mean 'same as before, 'better' or 'worse'.

'Bits' and 'sample rate' don't make the recording.  It is all a combo of the 'music', 'recording' and 'mastering' (whatever that means.)  The 'bits' are simply a transport -- not all that important, really -- unless it falls below a certain quality threshold.

A recording engineer friend of mine told me -- you never know what they have done to the recording.  (It is almost a quote, I cannot remember the *exact* words.)

John

2 minutes ago, John Dyson said:

I have been mentioning the HDtracks downloads for quite a while.   I think that I have at least 3 (out of 3 or whatever) that I have purchased that are not 'right'.

Frankly, you cannot rely on anything at all now.   Remastered might mean (cleaned up/fixed) or (further damaged.)  Hi-res might mean 'same as before, 'better' or 'worse'.

'Bits' and 'sample rate' don't make the recording.  It is all a combo of the 'music', 'recording' and 'mastering' (whatever that means.)  The 'bits' are simply a transport -- not all that important, really -- unless it falls below a certain quality threshold.

A recording engineer friend of mine told me -- you never know what they have done to the recording.  (It is almost a quote, I cannot remember the *exact* words.)

John

If you really want to see something:

15 minutes ago, Jud said:

If you really want to see something:

Yea -- 2012 frustratingly was about the time I started realziing that a lot of the defective CDs and other digital releases were defective at least partially because of a latent DolbyA footprint.  (I use that term specifically because sometimes they do further processing -- 'mastering' -- that destroy the precise relationships needed to accurately decode material.)

It took me another few years to realize that simply a 'really good' expander wasn't going to undo DolbyA adequately accurately.  I have a super-duper 8 band design that does work, but doesn't fit the curves very closely.  It probably does more NR than a DolbyA decoding could ever do.

Then another year to fumble around realizing that there was NO WAY that I could reverse engineer the DolbyA schematics because of the selected components.

Finally, some very expert recording engineer took pity on me, but realized that I was capable of completing the job (about 3yrs ago) of doing a DolbyA decoder.   After a lot of teases, now there is one -- and can undo even some of the mildy damaged DolbyA material.

---

We are getting cr*p material from the various sources, and I agree with some of the sentiments on the quoted messages -- the damage  isn't really HDtracks fault -- they distribute literally what is given to them to sell.  They SHOULD be better at quality control and never claim something to be of extra superior quality when it is not.

I'd suspect if HDtracks did the full due diligence on the technical quality of their material, they wouldn't have much to sell.   Maybe only have a list of a few 10s of recordings like a lot of esoteric outfits have.

If someone REALLY wants good quality, then decode the DolbyA stuff yourself.  Maybe people don't want the quality that they supposedly seek, right?   They want to buy something that is represented as high quality instead of actually being able to listen to the material in the way it is supposed to sound?

John