IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

1 hour ago, Chopin75 said:

Sorry, I am just as confused here. You have 2x 19V/8A PS, each supplying part of the CPU, but then you stated it is actually using 12V x2, 12V from each PS ?? Then what happens to the 19V? Is it that the 19V is shared for both the MB and CPU (12V to CPU and 7 V to MB?), so you have 12V x 2 to CPU and 7Vx 2 to MB, if that is even possible??  The simplest is of course 19V to MB and 12V to CPU, as suggested above. Thanks for clarifying!

He has:

Keces P8 (19V) --> HDPlex 800 Group 1 --> EPS (12V) and ATX (3.3V, 5V, 12V)

Keces P8 (19V) --> HDPlex 800 Group 2 --> EPS (12V)

The HDPlex is converting the 19V to 12V /for the EPS connector(s)/.  Look at the diagram he sent, it makes perfect sense (to me). 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

5 hours ago, Superdad said:

Amazing to see all this discussion of power supplies without a single mention of one of nearly the most consequential factor, output impedance. Computers are a very “bursty” load, and given adequate current and even just average noise performance, the supply with the lower broadband output impeadance will always win.

Sure we did! We just did not call it with the technical term low 'output impedance'. I called it 'quality'. And absolutely - the low output impedance is one of the main things that makes a LPS 'good quality'.

On 1/16/2020 at 12:51 PM, Nenon said:

This is hard to answer or even give you any recommendation. I have only used the SBooster and HDPlex from your set of power supplies at very early stages of experimenting with music servers. I don't have them anymore and would not consider them in my system again. I have not tried the SR4 or the MPAudio. 

Instead of trying to map a power supply to component, let me try tell you what I think in general. There are two factors - power and quality. Typically the best quality power supplies cannot provide a lot of power. 

If 'quality' was the only factor, it would have been a really easy recommendation:

You put the best quality power supply you have on the USB. The second best goes to the CPU. The third best goes to the motherboard. 

If 'power' was the only factor, it would have been a really easy recommendation too:

You put the most powerful power supply you have on the CPU. The second most powerful goes to the motherboard. The third most powerful goes to the USB.

The problem is when you have to balance between those two factors and introduce a dozen other factors - then it gets really complex. You would have to experiment and see what works best. A good starting point for those experiments would be to:

• Put the most powerful power supply on the CPU.
  • From the remaining power supplies, pick the best quality one and put it on the USB.
  • From the remaining power supplies, try the best quality power supply on the motherboard; but you may also try the most powerful, or something in between. 

Good luck with the tests and let us know what works best. 

Oh, and one more note - I am increasingly starting to think that building a computer with multiple rails of the same power supply and wire accomplishes more natural sound overall. Look at my Building a DIY Music Server thread for example of what I mean by that. 

Industry disclosure: 

1 hour ago, bodiebill said:

A Brennenstuhl power meter arrived today and I did some measurements.

I may need some help here as I am somewhat baffled by the first results. Please note that I only measured my minimal audio endpoint PC with AudioLinux headless (meaning GUI-less) + NAA. (I am not in a hurry to measure my heavy-lifting server as I am happy with its current power supply.)

First the audio PC specs:

mobo:    Supermicro X11SAE-M
cpu:    Intel Core i3-6100T (35W TDP)
memory:    2x Apacer D31.23185S.001 4GB ECC DDR4 2666MHz (wide temperature)
PSU internal:    HDPlex 800W DC-ATX converter

NIC:    Intel X520-D1

HD/SDD:    none

CPU / EPS

I used a simple 12V SMPS:

- steady state (nothing running): 0.04A

- playing any kind of audio file (redbook, hi-res PCM or DSD) streamed from the HQPlayer server): 0.14A

ATX

I used a 19v Chinese linear PS, wattage unknown as I did not have an SMPS that fitted:

- steady state: 0.17A / 30W

- playing music: does not change, always at 0.17A / 30W (does not change)

So maximum total current drawn approx. 0.3A. Such low amperage? It does not make much sense to me. But it is consistent with the fact that I used to power the whole PC (ATX+EPS) with a 36W / 1.75A / 19V SBooster without problem.

Probably someone here can tell me what I am doing wrong?

Your equipment is not capable to catch microbursts. If it was able to update let's say every nanosecond, you would see bursts that might be even hundreds of times higher. 

Industry disclosure: 

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

That is going to be quite a project!

Indeed! I don't know when I will work on this, but I will start collecting some of the parts now. Probably after the summer...

Right now, I am working on this:

On 2/5/2020 at 4:55 PM, Nenon said:

I have used the AsRock in previous builds. It's a great motherboard. You can't go wrong with either of them. I have a slight preference towards the Asus.

Also, speaking of HDplex H5 and Asus ROG motherboards, I have the big brother - Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero placed in a H5 case (not mounted, just placed on top). This is obviously an AMD motherboard, not Intel. 

IMG_2643.thumb.jpg.29a874264d490602b23247ba78b6ccd3.jpg

When I did the build in this thread, I had a lengthy discussion with the now owner of this server, and it was decided to go with what I already knew works best rather than experimenting with new things. The Asus motherboard was a wonderful serendipity. So, time for new experiments with a bigger Asus motherboard now. 

The three BIG questions I would like answers for are:

1. Does this big full size ATX motherboard sound better than its smaller sibling I am currently using in their stock versions?

2. How much better Qobuz would sound (if it sounds better) when my JCAT NET Femto NIC is on a regular PCIe slot with no extension cables?

3. Last, but not least, what would be the effects of changing the motherboard clocks with high quality OCXO clocks? That's the part I am most curious about as it's something I have never done before. If time allows, I may even document the clock changing process here, but I am not promising.

What I like about the H5 case is that it supports a full size ATX motherboard and allows you to mount all PCIe cards vertically with no adaptors. 

IMG_2644.jpg.724a8f18bd1c02dcc4a0f51de26970d5.jpg

What I don't like about the case is that this plate needs to come out completely every time you want to add or remove a PCIe card. But I haven't assembled it yet, so maybe there is a workaround this. It also feels a little cheaper quality than the Streacom, and I wish the top and bottom plates were thicker. 

This won't be a fully documented build like I did before, but rather some comparisons after I do the work. It would probably take several weeks before I have any discoveries I can share. I may post some info on the clock changing process, though. 

The first problem I am running into - I am not sure which PCIe slot is connected directly to the CPU and which goes through the chipset. If anyone knows, please let me know. It would save me some time. Ultimately, if I can't find any info I can probably trace the PCB traces on the motherboard and figure it out, but that would be too geeky :). 

Stay tuned for more updates.

Industry disclosure: 

4 hours ago, austinpop said:

@Nenon

Thanks for cheering me up with that post. Now that @romaz has achieved moksha and ascended to a higher "I am done" state, we lesser mortals need a new leader to take us forward!

In all seriousness, I have been kinda depressed since I read Roy's epic Extreme posts on WBF. As you know, I have a similar build to Roy, also powered by SR-7 DR rails. I thought this thing sounds amazing, and it's depressing to learn that it can be so comprehensively bettered with something I could never afford in this lifetime. 24,000€ - sheesh!

But then, on reflection, positive thoughts have re-emerged. One of the tangible outcomes of this thread is when manufacturers pick up on the DIY findings and start delivering products with these findings baked in. This has happened with audiophile switches, USB regenerators, reference clocks and others. But for some reason, this was not the case with music servers and endpoints. The SGM Extreme is the singular product whose philosophy of using extreme compute resources to run an extremely light workload matches our DIY findings. This is something to celebrate, as to me it represents a validation that the approach is sound. I hasten to add that I am not claiming that our ideas drove Emile - indeed it may have been the other way around.

The challenge now is to achieve anything even approaching the the Extreme using DIY. Of course, the other ray of hope is that Emile has indicated he wants to bring out follow-on products at a lower price point, which is classic trickle-down at work. Maybe these will be priced at more achievable levels.

OK - I feel better now.

It's all for good. Taiko raised the bar. We have some new goals to reach. New challenges. It started to get a little boring here with everyone doing the same builds with NUCs or the AsRock/Asus gaming motherboards and not a lot of fresh ideas.

Actually credit about new ideas goes to @jean-michel6 for pointing out the Engineered board. I haven't tried it but looks very interesting, especially for integration inside the DAC. There are some other new interesting products coming on the market too. The only problem I see is our hobby just got a lot more expensive :)

4 hours ago, ray-dude said:

ordered an Extreme

Congratulations! I am sure you made the right decision.

4 hours ago, dminches said:

The ASUS mobo is too large for the UP10.

That's a bummer! Thanks for letting me know. I have been looking for the internal dimensions of the UP10, but there is very little info. It did look quite short indeed. One of the members here was planning to get one, and I asked him for more pictures and dimensions. I am not in a hurry, though. Maybe something else will pop up on the market in the next few months. I can probably modify an existing chassis for this. It just creates more work and probably would not end up as good looking as the UP10. Memory was my bigger concern, as that's not something I can do myself. 

Industry disclosure: 

Looking at the HdPlex H5 Gen 2 case in front of me and doing some measurements:

Internal dimensions are: 360 mm x ~350 mm (339 mm by specs, but there is some extra space)

Taiko Extreme motherboard: 305 mm x 330 mm

The motherboard would fit inside. I would just need to drill a couple more holes and add additional standoffs. Easy!

One CPU should fit with the stock cooling pipes. The other one would need longer pipes to go to the other heatsink. I think that's doable and actually looks much easier than I thought. Of course, I would not know for sure until I have the actual motherboard, but it looks good on paper at least.

There would be very little space left for power supply.

Industry disclosure: 

55 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

I’m really looking forward to you testing the Asus WSC621E Sage with to CPU’s. 

Early stage questions? 

I will try to answer some of these questions. But let me start with a disclaimer again that I am not trying to build a Taiko Extreme. The engineering level and the attention to details on the Extreme is way beyond anything I can do. I am repeating this in case someone sees this message out of context and misses my previous explanations. It's fun to test new stuff, that's why it's a hobby. Some things work, some don't, but we gain experience during that process. 

Just now, ASRMichael said:

- Are the two CPU’s powered independently? E.g. could be powered by 2 x Sean Jacobs 5a LPS? 

There are two dedicated EPS connectors, so yes they can be powered by 2 x Sean Jacobs 5a LPS. His 10A LPS would be even better for this. That's what I am planning to use - 2 x 10A rails. BTW, that's not officially in production yet, but he has made some units. 

45 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

- With 2 CPU’s does this mean it can run two operating systems at one time? E.g. can run Stylus on one & run Stylus EP on another?

No, you cannot do that. You can only use one OS. But having 2 CPUs with 20 or 24 cores (40 or 48 threads) gives you a lot of flexibility to isolate processes into their own CPU / cores / threads.

Per Taiko:

The 2 cpu’s and 12 memory modules are not shared but split into 2 domains, 1 dedicated to the operating system, 1 dedicated to music related services and playback software.

47 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

- With so many cores/threads realistically it can isolate most if not all Euphony processes?

That's the idea. Although on a server like that, it's probably worth not to assume that Euphony would sound best and experiment with other operating systems and players too. As you know, I am a big fan of Euphony, and that is what I am using now, but I am open minded. Definitely worth exploring some other options again. 

50 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

- the other question is? Why does the T Extreme have so much RAM?

I have some speculations but no good explanations. Emile has provided some limited info but he won't reveal his secrets, and I don't blame him for that. 

Per Emile:

Addressing memory modules:

One of the largest disturbances on server music playback quality we found is DRAM refresh. The charge on DRAM memory cells weakens over time therefor it needs to be refreshed in pre-set time intervals. During the refresh period all memory operations halt. Memory current draw peaks during refresh, a single memory dim can easily draw 2.5A or higher during the refresh cycle. This is the main reason for DIY community feedback that fewer, or lower speed, dimms sound better, which can be true except you're seriously limiting bandwidth as you have more then just a single memory channel in modern high performance systems.

With the EVO we started focussing on reducing the amount of refresh intervals and refresh period time with quite significant advances in playback fidelity. For this to work you need a higher then average selection of memory chip quality, close chip matching and keep temperatures as low as possible. For the EVO we bought virtually all available consumer level dimms and selected those in which we could get the lowest memory refresh rate / length. As it turned out quality varies from dimm to dimm, so on top of that we started cherry picking the best of the bunch.

For the Extreme we took this a few steps further, these dimms have factory pre-selected A-grade memory modules, all dimm components (memory chips, capacitors, resistors etc) are matched to within a 1% tolerance and selected for low current draw. The side effect of this is refresh rate burst current is reduced by almost 50% and operating temperatures are much lower allowing lower refresh rates. Combined with power supply filtering this allows us to use 12 memory dimms with a very high combined bandwidth at very low refresh noise levels.

Source: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/taiko-audio-sgm-extreme-the-crème-de-la-crème.27433/post-556159 

Industry disclosure: 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dutch said:

Hi Nenon, do you mean you got the Buffalo BS-GS2016/A (or the non /A version perhaps)?

The non /A version but according to one of the posts above it is the same switch with 3 changes:

-LLDP disabled (I always do that anyway)

-Hostname changed

-Half of the ports disabled

and comes with a better Lan cable.

Industry disclosure: 

7 minutes ago, RickyV said:

Any ideas on its sound yet?

Not yet. I would like to let it burn in for at least 200 hours before I do any critical listening. Initial impressions (a quick 2 minute A/B) were that it gave something and it took something away. That was after working for 20 hours only, so I decided to let it burn-in first. In the meantime I am trying to find if the Melco uses a special clock or not. 

But I am prepared to replace the clock and will most likely try that regardless of the Melco outcome. 

Industry disclosure: 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Dev said:

WS C621E Sage is EEB Form Factor - 12 inch x 13 inch

For comparison:

ATX Form Factor - 12.0 inch x 9.29 inch

Extended ATX Form Factor - 12 inch x 10.9 inch

Also Sage is a dual socket mobo. If you populate both, you need to figure out the cooling and routing heat pipes on the H5 case.

Planning to use both heatsinks, one for each CPU. 

Industry disclosure: 

22 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

Hi, I thought I was finished today with my network & then I  seen your post “attenuators” thought what is this? I’m new to fiber (today)

My setup, do I need attenuators?

Edge Router sfp——-- MGB-TLX Planet Mini GBIC LX Module 20km (-40 to 75 C), (both ends)——-1m OM3 Aqua Fibre Optic LC LC Duplex MM 50 125 Patch LSZH Cable——-EtherRegen sfp

Any advise would be appreciated?

There are so many combinations one can try. If you have the time to experiment, by all means do it ... and please report back your findings. If not, here is what works really good with my etherREGEN:

- PlanetTech MGB-TLX transceivers.

- No attenuators.

- Single mode fiber cable, 10 meters or more. I use 10m even if I only need 1m.

That works pretty good for me, and although I have about 50 transceivers I can try, I am resisting that at the moment in favor of other more important tests. 

Honestly, the ethernet cable makes a much bigger difference in my system. 

Industry disclosure: