IGNORED

​Cable Burn In?

It was a green XK150, 1958 I think. It was the late 70s. We were college kids and found it in a barn in CT while we were painting a house on the same property one summer.

The owner gave it to us! Once restored the proceeds from the sale paid half a year of my college tuition of $4000.

Ours had an electronic overdrive switch on the dash. The lines were absolutely beautiful.

One in good shape today is easily worth 10X - 20X that and possibly more. Don't you wish you'd kept it? I wish I still had mine.

George

well said OldBigEars

thats what happens some get bitter with age some get bitter knowing others can spend/waist money if you will on cables, food and wine, cloths, expensive high end hifi, cars, houses, boats and some women that are known to take the lot, at the end of the day each to his own. as for cable burn in boom lucky I did not return em. if you buy 1 dollar cables and you happy good for you, if you buy thousands of dollar per cable and they sound better to you and your happy good for you. Bless everyone rich n poor and all between

All our friends have cables, take it slow

Wait for them to ask you what you know

Please don’t make any sudden claims

You don’t know the half of all the pains

We all like cables very well

We think they have a certain smell

We can hear their intentions

Cables go in one direction

High end cables are a fraud

Its all about the baud

With apologies to 21 Pilot.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

All our friends have cables, take it slow

Wait for them to ask you what you know

Please don’t make any sudden claims

You don’t know the half of all the pains

We all like cables very well

We think they have a certain smell

We can hear their intentions

Cables go in one direction

High end cables are a fraud

Its all about the baud

With apologies to 21 Pilot.

Audio Poem of the year?

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

Audio Poem of the year?

If nominated for the Nobel, I will join Bobby Dylan and not attend the big show. (but if the committee springs for airfare and hotel expenses, hey all bets are off)

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

The quality of a cable is in the beholder's eye

That’s why I prefer DIY

I don’t mind if that casts me alone

I just prefer to make my own

Exotic claims will come and go

Some covertly tinker at shows

All I know is what makes sense

Little does when price is immense

Some are dizzy with lust and glory

I didn’t quite buy that story

I’m no engineer, it’s easy to do

Anyone can, certainly you

Take to your irons and make perfect lengths

Then you will hear your system’s strengths

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

The timing on this thread is perfect.

I had been using a $10 dollar IBRA HDMI cable from Amazon, that was feeding I2S from a SingXer SU-1 to a Holo Spring Level 3 dac.

This cable was actually very good, with great horizontal location of instruments and about 4 zone layers of depth. If anything it was a touch bright. I recently replaced that with a $170 dollar Wireworld Starlight HDMI cable. This cable has tremendous low frequency power. Most ballads sound like power ballads now. However I don't have the localization of instruments horizontally or front to back that the IBRA has. (Wish I could combine the two). So this break-in will be about getting the soundstage closer to the IBRA and possibly adding a little more high frequencies.

That will be the test of break-in for me.

Jeff

Qobuz - HQPlayer(d) 5 - M1 Mini - RPI 5 8gb - Nuc i7 - Signature Silver DC - Keces P3 PS - Lush USB - Holo Spring Dac - SRC-DX - Chord Mojo2 - Bottlehead Crack Upgraded w/ GEC or Tung-Sol 6as7/vt231 - Triode Wire Labs AC - HD-650 - GR Research V2 - Dennis Murphy Pioneer BS22 - B&W 602 S2 - Apple Music Spatial 7.1.4

Have you considered that that is simply how the cable sounds and break in may not help it? Sadly, that is often how things are. Some cables do this, but not that and vice versa. It can be a pisser...

The timing on this thread is perfect.

I had been using a $10 dollar IBRA HDMI cable from Amazon, that was feeding I2S from a SingXer SU-1 to a Holo Spring Level 3 dac.

This cable was actually very good, with great horizontal location of instruments and about 4 zone layers of depth. If anything it was a touch bright. I recently replaced that with a $170 dollar Wireworld Starlight HDMI cable. This cable has tremendous low frequency power. Most ballads sound like power ballads now. However I don't have the localization of instruments horizontally or front to back that the IBRA has. (Wish I could combine the two). So this break-in will be about getting the soundstage closer to the IBRA and possibly adding a little more high frequencies.

That will be the test of break-in for me.

Jeff

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

It's a poem off!

The quality of a cable is in the beholder's eye

That’s why I prefer DIY

I don’t mind if that casts me alone

I just prefer to make my own

Exotic claims will come and go

Some covertly tinker at shows

All I know is what makes sense

Little does when price is immense

Some are dizzy with lust and glory

I didn’t quite buy that story

I’m no engineer, it’s easy to do

Anyone can, certainly you

Take to your irons and make perfect lengths

Then you will hear your system’s strengths

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

I was waiting for the first Limerick. Love the avatar

There once was a cable call rick

as big as an elephant d**K

He work with aplomb

but did cost a bomb

Enough to make an audiphile sick....

just made it up so still rough...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Computer Audiophile mobile app

I quite like the idea of cable related juvenile limerick thread, that would make a great daily read.

There was a nice girl called Mabel

I offered to show her my cable

She showed me her socket

And whilst I tried to dock it

We GND’d ourselves on the table

---

She said she had a twin sister

I saw and I couldn’t resistor

I needed a shield

Before she would yield

So I fondled her tits and just kissed her

... I'm here all week.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen