IGNORED

​Cable Burn In?

I need your thought regarding Cable Burn-In

I've just spent a couple of thousand dollars on cables, the company clearly states 400 hours burn in and Ive done everything I was told to, I'm now on 480 odd hours the sound's thin and boring

I talked with the company and I was informed of The New Burn-In time of 700 hours PLUS

The owner of the company is a good guy and I'm not here to give him a bad name

Your thoughts please?

I've just spent a couple of thousand dollars on cables, the company clearly states 400 hours burn in and Ive done everything I was told to, I'm now on 480 odd hours the sound's thin and boring

I talked with the company and I was informed of The New Burn-In time of 700 hours PLUS

Your thoughts please?

Welcome to the forum.

I think the answer is self-evident. You need to burn in the cables for at least another 220 hours. We would not want you to give the good guy who sold you a few feet of wire for $2,000 a bad name, either. We don't do that here.

Your thoughts please?

Does the burn-in time exceed the money-back guarantee time?

I'm not totally against the break-in theory. Teflon capacitors, for instance, definitely need a break-in period. Sometimes cables and other components as well. HOWEVER, I think for that kind of money something should at least be promising out of the box, or at least with a reasonable 'settling in" period of a week. Honestly, if you don't like them at this point, send them back. I seriously doubt things are going to get better.

I also am a believer in differences between cables, but there are good cables costing hundreds, not thousands, that should be more than adequate for most systems.

Your thoughts please?

Just to see if we are seeing moving goal posts, call the guy back and tell him you have left them playing continuously for now 850 hours and they still sound wrong to you. You'll need to make sure you call no sooner than 16 days after your last call. (HMMmmmmmm.....does that sound like it exceeds the return window???)

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

My thoughts exactly.

Isn't it interesting that after 480 hours of "burn-in" the OP thinks his "couple of thousand dollars" worth of boutique cables sound worse than they did out of the box? How could he possibly remember what they sounded like out-of-the-box? Did he record the out-of-the-box sound to preserve it? :)

Message to '2M Mark': Welcome to CA, but the "nice guy" who sold you those cables had duped you. Except for "some" rare speaker/cable interactions, cables are just wire and have no sound. Not only that, but there's no mechanism in a wire that requires burn-in. Well-made cables can be had for a few dollars each. Wgscott asked a very good question: "Does the (recommended) burn-in time exceed the money-back guarantee time?" If it does, we know why. If it doesn't, get your money back - now! If you are in North America go to:

http://www.mycablemart.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=62

Pick the lengths you need and order them. I've been using them for years and my system sounds superb.

George

send them back ASAP - read para. 2 of gmgraves post above over & over again...

Good Luck!

There are 3 important things that really affect sound:

1. Speakers

2. Room-Speaker Interaction

3. Source material (mastering process, etc.)

for 4th we could pick an amp that will properly drive your speakers at the SPLs you want - esp if they are a difficult load

Your thoughts please?

oh boy, one of those threads again.. sweet! :)puts popcorn in microwave

Boo to those who expended their negativity so early in the proceedings. It is important to treat threads like this as fragile goods until the full weight has been unburdened. Now we will likely never find out why he is 2M Mark because you cut him off at being merely a 2K Mark.

I not so secretly believe this thread was started by a joke account. My condolences if that is not the case and a hard lesson is being played out.

Thanks guys I hear you!

To be clear the order consists of one of each

XLR 750mm with Furutech CF-601MR + CF-602FR

AESEBU 500mm with Furutech CF-601MR + CF-602FR

Headphone Cable 3000mm with Neutrix NC3FXX-B + NC3FXX-BAG + X2 Furutech FTH800R

XLR Adapter with Neutrix NC3FXX-B + NC3FXX-BAG +NC4MXX-BAG

If you do the math on the connectors and plugs you can appreciate my questions is aimed back to burn in for 700 hours + and will the sound quality improve after xxx hours as currently at almost 500 hours it sounds thin. The guy says given more time they will improve, anyone with this kind of experience willing to pass comment

If I choose to return them I can this is not the issue at all though

Thank you guys for the input

The cables are still very well within the return period in fact I still have around 60 more days from now

Simple... put the old cables back. Which ones sound better? Swap them a couple of times to be sure. Better yet, run them side-by-side and get someone else to swap (or not swap) the cables so you can't tell which ones are in use. Keep the ones that sound better to you. If they sound the same, you may choose to exercise your return rights.

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

Thanks guys I hear you!

If you do the math on the connectors and plugs you can appreciate my questions is aimed back to burn in for 700 hours + and will the sound quality improve after xxx hours as currently at almost 500 hours it sounds thin. The guy says given more time they will improve, anyone with this kind of experience willing to pass comment

If after 100 hours you didn't get any improvement please return your cables.

After 100 hours improvements would minimal, if there are.

Roch

elcorso Thank you kindly! You are correct there were improvements after 100 hours and they were minimal however never the less still notable

So play them for four hours a day for the next 8 weeks, and if they don't suddenly sound amazing, you'll still have a couple of days to return them and get back your $2,000.

Not doing all that much enjoying the music through this system whilst this burn in is going on but I have been enjoying the music from my main system Agree with you Greg 100%, Ill wait it out, see what happens if noting positive the guy will happily refund 100% including 2 way postage

Thanks guys appreciate it!

I thought I did. There is nothing about a cable that needs or will benefit from " burn-in". In fact, the concept is more than slightly ridiculous!

Some people (not me) claim that certain dialectric mateials like Teflon improve with current flow. That's why AudioQuest makes those expensive cables with the little battery packs attached. Note that the dialectric theory also admits that the beneficial dialectric effect fades away and reverts to the original state if the current is shut off for several days. Even if it true, you have to have very deep pockets to spend big bucks on cables. Your money is better spent on other components, and there is a steep point of diminishing returns with that, too.

@2M Mark You might as well send them back now. They are not going to change signficantly. If you spent $2K on cables and you don't like them, you will never like them.

Thanks guys I hear you!

I actually do feel that cables sound different (very possibly due to interactions with the rest of the system), and am open to the possibility of "burn-in."

That said, I will tell you that when I compared 4 different USB digital cables, a Furutech among them and the most expensive of the bunch, I liked it the least. It seemed to me to have an artificially detailed sound I thought of as "zingy," but "thin" might also be an apt description. So *if* there is such a thing as cables that sound different, I wonder whether this thin quality is a Furutech "house sound."

I was wondering along with everyone else what the comparison between the break-in and return periods was, so good to hear you are able to return for a full refund well after the (extended) break-in period has passed.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.