IGNORED

​Cable Burn In?

You stick with your Toyota - love it, like you do. No need for you to waste money on fine cars, or fine wine, or nice hotels, or well designed clothes. No need to beat yourself up just 'cos you can't afford the better things in life. Just enjoy what makes you happy and what you can comfortably afford. Any try not to be too bitter towards people who have the means and the capability of appreciating the differences.

I've been in RR's and Jags. What is 'finer' about those statistically huge piles of shit? I've been in Toyata/Lexus just as nice and nicer. And certainly more reliable.

Doug Demuro has made his solo career on reporting on his experience with a Land Rover and the CarMax warranty:

You stick with your Toyota - love it, like you do. No need for you to waste money on fine cars, or fine wine, or nice hotels, or well designed clothes. No need to beat yourself up just 'cos you can't afford the better things in life. Just enjoy what makes you happy and what you can comfortably afford. Any try not to be too bitter towards people who have the means and the capability of appreciating the differences.

Are you for real?

You sound so nouveau

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

I wouldn't mind a Toyota FT-1

the only real level of classification is the species level (2 lower levels are legally interesting in the US under the Endangered Species Act)

other levels are merely a convenience and not anything worth wasting time on for a scientist

the only real level of classification is the species level (2 lower levels are legally interesting in the US under the Endangered Species Act)

other levels are merely a convenience and not anything worth wasting time on for a scientist

You'll probably want to tell all those poor bastard scientists who waste their time on the other classification levels, then.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I've been in RR's and Jags. What is 'finer' about those statistically huge piles of shit? I've been in Toyata/Lexus just as nice and nicer. And certainly more reliable.

Doug Demuro has made his solo career on reporting on his experience with a Land Rover and the CarMax warranty:

You missed the point. We can choose what we like. You want Home Depot cables? Buy them. Others want to spend $2000 on cables? Don't patronize them. They might just enjoy something you can't fathom. I don't doubt for a moment you've been in a Toyata/Lexus. Congratulations.

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

There's that humor again, coming from The Great Mathematician. LOL

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

Which mathematics? True by definition still depends on the definition.

the mathematics that says that at audio frequencies the Xc and Xl will have essentially NO effect on either interconnects or speaker cables at under 50 ft or so in length (and even then, we're talking only about -1 dB at 20 KHz). The math also says that at these low frequencies, there is no such thing as skin effect nor is there any integration or differentiation of the audio signal. That's the math that I'm talking about because it's the only math that applies in this case. Now if there is something else going on of which physics is unaware, then I don't know what to tell you. But the math I'm discussing works well enough to allow mankind to conduct across virtually the entire electromagnet spectrum. That makes me think that the math is probably valid.:)

George

Why does break in make everything sound better? Shouldn't some things actually sound worse over time?

I'm sure some things do. Believe me the wheel bearings in your car sound worse and worse over time. It's called wear. But cables are wires. They have no moving parts. You pop an electron into one end, and another electron pops out the other end. There is no heat generated in interconnects or speaker cable, no dielectric to form, and you won't run out of electrons over time, so there is no known mechanism that would make wire ever sound either better or worse. :)

George

You are right, of course. If reliability and low maintenance cost are your criteria, then a Japanese car is certainly a better buy. It's like having a fine book (or CD) case made by a fine cabinetmaker, or buying one the same size from Ikea. Both will do the job satisfactorily, and Ikea case will cost orders of magnitude less than the custom case, but it won't be made anywhere near as well. Some people just like the elegance an old-world craftsmanship (not to mention the ostentation) of an expensive European car).

George

the mathematics that says that at audio frequencies the Xc and Xl will have essentially NO effect on either interconnects or speaker cables at under 50 ft or so in length (and even then, we're talking only about -1 dB at 20 KHz). The math also says that at these low frequencies, there is no such thing as skin effect nor is there any integration or differentiation of the audio signal. That's the math that I'm talking about because it's the only math that applies in this case. Now if there is something else going on of which physics is unaware, then I don't know what to tell you. But the math I'm discussing works well enough to allow mankind to conduct across virtually the entire electromagnet spectrum. That makes me think that the math is probably valid.:)

You seem to be discussing the physics of electromagnetism (which is science). Although physics is heavily dependent on math, the two are rather different. Not that it really matters here.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

You missed the point. We can choose what we like. You want Home Depot cables? Buy them. Others want to spend $2000 on cables? Don't patronize them. They might just enjoy something you can't fathom. I don't doubt for a moment you've been in a Toyata/Lexus. Congratulations.

They are enjoying howling at the moon because when someone like Mike Lavigne can't tell the difference between his $32,000 Opus MM cables and some $60 Monster cables, well you are absolutely right: He certainly was enjoying something I can't fathom.

I didn't miss your point about the ability to discern being tied to a level of sophistication when you brought Toyota and Jag into the mix as a comparison. I can think of very performance and fit and finish reasons among others whey someone may purchase a Toyota corp product. It doesn't make that person any less refined, intelligent, sophisticated. People lease Jags, they purchase Toyota's.

Resale on Jags, RR, Aston Martin, etc tell you all you need to know.

I just had a friend pick up an Aston Martin Vantage. I personally didn't like it as the way it's setup doesn't suite my tastes. I'll take my LS430 any day over it because the ride quality is my preference (along with still one of the smoothest running engines and quietest cabins out there). The car looks nice but I would be miserable in it.

You are right, of course. If reliability and low maintenance cost are your criteria, then a Japanese car is certainly a better buy. It's like having a fine book (or CD) case made by a fine cabinetmaker, or buying one the same size from Ikea. Both will do the job satisfactorily, and Ikea case will cost orders of magnitude less than the custom case, but it won't be made anywhere near as well. Some people just like the elegance an old-world craftsmanship (not to mention the ostentation) of an expensive European car).

We are talking cables however. The above really isn't a comparison. Neither are cars really. But the conversation invariably ends up going there.

You seem to be discussing the physics of electromagnetism (which is science). Although physics is heavily dependent on math, the two are rather different. Not that it really matters here.

How many of those topics can YOU fit on the head of a pin? I'm too dazzled to count them!

George

We are talking cables however. The above really isn't a comparison. Neither are cars really. But the conversation invariably ends up going there.

I'm actually talking about neither, Plisskin. I'm talking about people's perception of value (in anything) determining what and how they purchase.

George

My mom has a Jaguar and it has left her stranded on the side of the road more than once.

In me callous and misspent youth. I had a lovely Jaguar XK-140 C roadster (the "C" means that the cylinder head of the engine had a coat of orange paint on it which indicated that the car could get you to an illegal speed quicker). It was a gorgeous thing and it had a rule: "I break down anytime you take me more than 25 miles from home". And it did too. I would have thought that in the ensuing 60 years (My Jag was a 1956 model), they would have corrected those reliability problems! After all, Lucas, the British prince of darkness is out of business as is Skinner's Union (who made the carburetors for virtually all British cars at one time). But, I guess not...

George

So what does molecular genetics tell us about whether dogs should be classified as Canis lupus familiaris or Canis familiaris, and whether we should use the Biological Species Concept or the Evolutionary Species Concept? Is this a purely scientific discussion regarding genetics, or does it involve philosophy of classification?

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog#Taxonomy

Dogs can interbreed with wolves and produce fertile offspring. Therefore both are Canis lupus. I think the point was that comparing DNA sequences has replaced the more qualitative, subjective classifications. But the ability to interbreed and to produce fertile offspring is the ultimate test of whether two organisms belong to the same species. The rest is kind of arbitrary.

When I was a kid, people spoke of the "plant kingdom" and "animal kingdom". Now, thanks to comparing ribosomal RNA genes, we know there are essentially three domains (or kingdoms) of life -- bacteria, archea, and eukaryotes. Plants and animals are two closely related branches of euks.

I need your thought regarding Cable Burn-In

I've just spent a couple of thousand dollars on cables, the company clearly states 400 hours burn in and Ive done everything I was told to, I'm now on 480 odd hours the sound's thin and boring

I talked with the company and I was informed of The New Burn-In time of 700 hours PLUS

The owner of the company is a good guy and I'm not here to give him a bad name

Your thoughts please?

My theory on burn in is, the suppliers expect that over that time you get used to the sound of said cables/equipment and learn live with them (or not in some cases)

My theory on burn in is, the suppliers expect that over that time you get used to the sound of said cables/equipment and learn live with them (or not in some cases)

I am one of the people who do believe cables make a difference (no flames please) BUT these absurd recommended "burn in times" not just for cables but all audio products in general, IMHO, is a gimmick to provide a barrier for returns.

It kind of reminds me of purchasing a dog with a "guarantee" that if the dog has a "health issue" during his/her first two years you can return the dog for a new one. Yeah right.