IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - The Operating System

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, bobfa said:

Sonicorbiter-MPD 

I am starting to play with MPD on my Signature Rendu SE Optical.  I have my music on a SMB mount point (QNAP NAS).  

Is there any indication anywhere in the OS of the progress of MPD scanning the folders on the NAS?

Bob

I am not aware of a client that tells you this information. As a tip I can warn you not to press it more than once because that will delay it from finishing.

On 10/6/2019 at 7:13 AM, vortecjr said:

Modernization of the Linux kernel, fix Spotify support, update all the other apps, switch to version of SqueezeLite that has on going support from it's developer. This is an SD card purchase because the jump is significant and complex.  

Do you know if the linux kernel modernization will include support for native DSD through usb on the ESS  ES90186 Sabre 32 chip ? Up to now on SonicOrbiter, DSD must be streamed in DOP on usb, which limits DSD streams to dsd128. Native dsd256 streaming on usb is possible on  Windows, but with the use of a special ASIO driver. Being able have the same for linux would be nice.

Regards

André

5 hours ago, André Gosselin said:

Do you know if the linux kernel modernization will include support for native DSD through usb on the ESS  ES90186 Sabre 32 chip ? Up to now on SonicOrbiter, DSD must be streamed in DOP on usb, which limits DSD streams to dsd128. Native dsd256 streaming on usb is possible on  Windows, but with the use of a special ASIO driver. Being able have the same for linux would be nice.

Regards

André

Where did you get that information:) Linux supports both Native DSD and DSD via DoP. No proprietary ASIO drive needed.

12 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Where did you get that information:) Linux supports both Native DSD and DSD via DoP. No proprietary ASIO drive needed.

My question was not about whether Linux can support streaming in Native DSD vs DoP. My question was about the future SonicOrbiter 2.8 linux kernel support for native DSD on USB DACs equipped with the  ESS  ES90186 Sabre 32 chip,like my SimAudio 780Dv2. Currently, in SonicOrbiter 2.7, native DSD is not supported for this DAC, and SonicOrbiter must be parametrized to stream DSD using  DoP, which means streaming at most DSD128 given that this DAC cannot go above 386 kHz.

I hope my concern is clearer now, and that native DSD will be supported on my SimAudio 780Dv2 DAC in SonicOrbiter 2.8.

Regards,

André

1 minute ago, André Gosselin said:

My question was not about whether Linux can support streaming in Native DSD vs DoP. My question was about the future SonicOrbiter 2.8 linux kernel support for native DSD on USB DACs equipped with the  ESS  ES90186 Sabre 32 chip,like my SimAudio 780Dv2. Currently, in SonicOrbiter 2.7, native DSD is not supported for this DAC, and SonicOrbiter must be parametrized to stream DSD using  DoP, which means streaming at most DSD128 given that this DAC cannot go above 386 kHz.

I hope my concern is clearer now, and that native DSD will be supported on my SimAudio 780Dv2 DAC in SonicOrbiter 2.8.

Regards,

André

Andre, native DSD support on your DAC is strictly up to the manufacture of your DAC. If your DAC does not support the correct streaming format only they can fix that issue. Contact them and tell them to get with the program. FYI SonicOrbiter 2.8 will have the latest auto discovery code which they should take advantage of.   

45 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

I'm not aware of a limitation on this. I also have no way to test it.

I will test it and let you know when 2.8 is released. Currently 768 PCM/512 DSD is as high as my uRendu will go. My HOLO Spring 2 will do 1,536/1024 but my HQPlayer computer will only go to 512 DSD but 1.536 PCM is no problem. When I try 1.536 PCM now it is garbled. The likely problem is that the bitrate for 1.536 should be about 100 Mbps but 70 Mbps is all that gets thru. I have no idea where the bottle neck is. I will test the new kernel when I get it. This is not a big issue as 768 PCM is probably all that is needed. 

15 minutes ago, bobflood said:

I will test it and let you know when 2.8 is released. Currently 768 PCM/512 DSD is as high as my uRendu will go. My HOLO Spring 2 will do 1,536/1024 but my HQPlayer computer will only go to 512 DSD but 1.536 PCM is no problem. When I try 1.536 PCM now it is garbled. The likely problem is that the bitrate for 1.536 should be about 100 Mbps but 70 Mbps is all that gets thru. I have no idea where the bottle neck is. I will test the new kernel when I get it. This is not a big issue as 768 PCM is probably all that is needed. 

Do you have a switch between the server and Rendu? If so, do you have flow control enabled? The opitcalRendu has a switch built in and set to support flow control by default. 

1 minute ago, vortecjr said:

It's hard to say if flow control is available on a router.   

There is no setting for flow control that I can find in the router. I did verify that it is activated on the server machine (Win 10/64/1909) PC. Let's see what happens with 2.8 when you have it ready. It could be the HQP NAA (there is a newer version) or the Linux kernel. I have not asked Jussi but I did ask Tim at Kitsune and he thought it was the Linux  kernel. He said that he has seen it before. Several months ago I suggested that you contact him about it. I forgot about it since then as it is ultimately not very important to me. I just thought that at some point down the road that it may become an issue for you. BTW, are we getting close on 2.8? If you want to send me a prior to release version of 2.8, I will test it for you or I will just wait for the release.

Thanks

29 minutes ago, bobflood said:

There is no setting for flow control that I can find in the router. I did verify that it is activated on the server machine (Win 10/64/1909) PC. Let's see what happens with 2.8 when you have it ready. It could be the HQP NAA (there is a newer version) or the Linux kernel. I have not asked Jussi but I did ask Tim at Kitsune and he thought it was the Linux  kernel. He said that he has seen it before. Several months ago I suggested that you contact him about it. I forgot about it since then as it is ultimately not very important to me. I just thought that at some point down the road that it may become an issue for you. BTW, are we getting close on 2.8? If you want to send me a prior to release version of 2.8, I will test it for you or I will just wait for the release.

Thanks

It may not be enough to have it on the server. Jussi really is the best person to ask about this. As you say...it's not very important. 2.8 is moving along, but it can't be rushed because it has to be right.   

• 3 weeks later...

Will SO 2.8 contain an update to MPD? Current version of MPD is 0.21.17 (Dec 2019), Rendu's are still on 0.20.20 (May 2018). MPD is still the best sounding player in my system, I always come back to it.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

12 hours ago, Axiom05 said:

Will SO 2.8 contain an update to MPD? Current version of MPD is 0.21.17 (Dec 2019), Rendu's are still on 0.20.20 (May 2018). MPD is still the best sounding player in my system, I always come back to it.

All apps will be updated for 2.8.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2019 at 9:09 PM, vortecjr said:

We are currently working on SonicOribter 2.8 and all the apps will be updated for it. It will be available for purchase soon. When this work is complete we will look at circling back to the current version. We may or may not update the applications. Can’t make any promises.

When 2.8 is released will it be available as an "upgrade" option from SO menu or will it require purchasing a new SD card from Sonore? For the latter, specifically, if one just purchased an OR for example will this be an additional purchase or be included as part of a "new" purchase or whatever?

My rig

On 1/1/2020 at 12:38 PM, Foggie said:

When 2.8 is released will it be available as an "upgrade" option from SO menu or will it require purchasing a new SD card from Sonore? For the latter, specifically, if one just purchased an OR for example will this be an additional purchase or be included as part of a "new" purchase or whatever?

2.8 will be on new SD cards and new products shipping after its release. No eta yet.