Software update available

1. Adds native DSD support for additional devices

Ayre devices
Nagra devices
exD devices

Bricasti devices

Fiio devices

2. Updates upmpdcli

Go to Apps / Software Manager and press update. If you get any errors...wait for the Back to Main menu link to appear at the bottom of the update page and then reboot your unit. When the unit comes up again go to Apps / Software Manager and press update again.

Done! First time a lot of errors, second run was quite smooth. One remark: Sonore should make more consumer friendly products in the future, which are easier to update. I guess a lot of people are not reading this tread. How do they know about available updates and their benefits?

I also just performed the latest update.

Initial update cycle gave lots of errors.

After reboot, the second update appeared to go smooth. And after another reboot (to maks sure) I performed another update/reboot cycle.

After that I expected Native DSD support of the Ayre QB-9 Twenty, but when I played back the 2L DSD128 track, 2L-45_stereo_01_DSF_5644k_1b.dsf (supposedly DSD128) I didn't get any playback. The DAC diagnostics tells me:

"no setup"

The same is with the corresponding DSD64 dsf file.

I haven't received any Ayre message that a firmware update was necessary, so it seems at least on my system the native DSD to my QB9-Twenty is not working (yet).

My setup is: LMS running on my QNAP, connected to

orendu with Squeezelite client configured to support native DSD connected via USB to Ayre QB-9 Twenty.

I will revert back to configuring Squeezelite with DSD over DoP, because now it seems I need to reboot the orendu after it fails playback of any native DSD files (playback of PCM only works again after reboot of the orendu).

On 6/19/2020 at 7:01 AM, Granthar said:

So all of a sudden all upgrades aren't free anymore?

Updates are free...just press the update button. Upgrades are not free...just buy them from our website. This has always been the case...nothing all the sudden about it.

On 6/19/2020 at 7:16 AM, Granthar said:

I am not against paying if it improves sound quality, but can't they make it easier to obtain via a download so users can put on their own SD cards? also if its a major upgrade why isn't it versioned as version 3.0?

This is specifically what we are trying to avoid. It just needs to be a different number.

1 hour ago, jma2 said:

I also just performed the latest update.

Initial update cycle gave lots of errors.

After reboot, the second update appeared to go smooth. And after another reboot (to maks sure) I performed another update/reboot cycle.

After that I expected Native DSD support of the Ayre QB-9 Twenty, but when I played back the 2L DSD128 track, 2L-45_stereo_01_DSF_5644k_1b.dsf (supposedly DSD128) I didn't get any playback. The DAC diagnostics tells me:

"no setup"

The same is with the corresponding DSD64 dsf file.

I haven't received any Ayre message that a firmware update was necessary, so it seems at least on my system the native DSD to my QB9-Twenty is not working (yet).

My setup is: LMS running on my QNAP, connected to

orendu with Squeezelite client configured to support native DSD connected via USB to Ayre QB-9 Twenty.

I will revert back to configuring Squeezelite with DSD over DoP, because now it seems I need to reboot the orendu after it fails playback of any native DSD files (playback of PCM only works again after reboot of the orendu).

It’s entirely possible that the update doesn’t work. However, LMS support of native DSD is available on specific versions only and may require a plug-in and configuration. The combinations are bit confusing. On Sonic Transporter SGC has this sorted out for you. 

For trouble shooting play DSD64 and post the complete output of DAC Diagnostics. Make sure to refresh the page to get the latest information.

1 hour ago, Foggie said:

Have Lampi's an T&A dacs been considered for native support?

DACs which use the Amanero USB interface should work with Native DSD from any Rendu Series product, but it may depend on the specific firmware version the Amanero is running (and the Amanero interface has a very confusing number of software versions!).

I can confirm that Amanero USB interface running the 2006be11 firmware works with Native DSD from Rendu Series Renderers. 

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

20 hours ago, vortecjr said:

It’s entirely possible that the update doesn’t work. However, LMS support of native DSD is available on specific versions only and may require a plug-in and configuration. The combinations are bit confusing. On Sonic Transporter SGC has this sorted out for you. 

For trouble shooting play DSD64 and post the complete output of DAC Diagnostics. Make sure to refresh the page to get the latest information.

OK Jesus, here the complete output of DAC diagnostics, when playing back a DSD64 file (2L-45_stereo_01_DSF_2822k_1b.dsf):

DAC description: Ayre QB-9 Twenty      21b4:0230

Diagnostic information for this DAC

Ayre Acoustics, Inc. Ayre QB-9 Twenty at usb-ci_hdrc.1-1.1, high speed : USB Audio

Playback:
  Interface 1
    Altset 1
    Format: S32_LE
    Channels: 2
    Endpoint: 1 OUT (ASYNC)
    Rates: 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000, 352800, 384000
    Data packet interval: 125 us
    Bits: 32
  Interface 1
    Altset 2
    Format: SPECIAL
    Channels: 2
    Endpoint: 1 OUT (ASYNC)
    Rates: 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000, 352800, 384000
    Data packet interval: 125 us
    Bits: 32
no setup
Simple mixer control 'Ayre QB-9 Twenty ',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 127
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 127 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 127 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Ayre QB-9 Twenty ',1
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 127
  Mono: Playback 127 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]

I understand that the combination of versions of LMS/Squeezelite/plugin may be tricky. For completeness I include it here:

On the NAS (QNAP) I have my music files stored and LMS server running:

Logitech Media Server Version: 8.0.0 - 1592463207 @ Thu Jun 18 09:24:33 CEST 2020
Hostname: NAS563QNAP
Server IP Address: aa.bb.cc.dd
Server HTTP Port Number: 9001
Operating system: QLMS 2.X (QNAP TurboStation) Chrooted Debian 9 stretch! - EN - utf8
Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
Perl Version: 5.24.4 - x86_64-linux-thread-multi
Audio::Scan: 0.95
IO::Socket::SSL: 2.060
Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.58 (sqlite 3.22.0)
Total Players Recognized: 1

On the server I have the DSDPlayer plugin v1.0.1 (as far as I can see nothing to configure in there, no settings)

On my OpticalRendu I run Squeezelite v1.9.6.1196 with the setting "DSD Support" set to Native DSD.

Before I start digging for other versions of LMS for my NAS I would like to hear if the following approach would work:

In order to avoid mismatches with the LMS versions, I could install on the oRendu the Drive Mounter and the LMS server (looks like version 7.9) from the "available software" and see if that works. So everything would run fro the oRendu and that should mix and match properly and hence I could expect Native DSD to work. Would that be correct thinking from my side?

If that works I could try to get hold of the same 7.9 version of LMS for the QNAP and see if that works.

Kind regards,

Jan

Are there any benefits with native DSD playback over DOP DSD?

Lower bandwidth to DAC?

I saw somewhere, and it may be inaccurate, that my Chord Qutest can accept DSD512 via native a USB but only DSD256 over DOP, could this be true? 

Could lower datarate for the same DSD files have any audible benefit?

On 6/18/2020 at 5:09 AM, vortecjr said:

Software update available

1. Adds native DSD support for additional devices

Ayre devices
Nagra devices
exD devices

Bricasti devices

Fiio devices

2. Updates upmpdcli

Go to Apps / Software Manager and press update. If you get any errors...wait for the Back to Main menu link to appear at the bottom of the update page and then reboot your unit. When the unit comes up again go to Apps / Software Manager and press update again.

Just updated my ultraRendu, had to run update twice (as anticipated). However, it took forever for the uR to show up on my network again and now there are three versions of Roon Ready listed under installed Apps (two version were listed prior to this update). I still cannot delete the Roon Ready App to try to reinstall it.

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 1.59.03 PM.png

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

17 hours ago, Axiom05 said:

Just updated my ultraRendu, had to run update twice (as anticipated). However, it took forever for the uR to show up on my network again and now there are three versions of Roon Ready listed under installed Apps (two version were listed prior to this update). I still cannot delete the Roon Ready App to try to reinstall it.

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 1.59.03 PM.png

Email me at [email protected] so we can get this resolved.