IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - The Operating System

3 hours ago, bobflood said:

I got error messages on the first update (not the NAA 4.0 update which went fine) but it did complete. However, as I mentioned above, it did not restart on reboot and I had to power down and then re-power up to restart.

Hi Bob, 

I don’t think my update finished as once I was back online NAA still was version 3.6.

Thanks for the input.

Mike

4 hours ago, BCRich said:

Thank you Jesus for replying.

I have seen it red on occasion and off all together, when I tried the update it was unlit as it failed to properly execute.

I did the usual disconnect, reseat the SD Card, and reboot. And all was good. I had it playing when I left for work this morning. I think I tried the update twice last night, same thing happened each time.

Follow up: got home tonight and once again power led was off. Rebooted and came back online. Tried updating again and completed successfully (NAA 4.0), however upon reboot power led stuck @ red. Will reboot again and I’m sure it will be fine, concerned with shutdown issue though.

Not sure what it could be at this point....see what happens.

Mike

edit: red led went dark, had to reboot again, now playing music.

confused to say the least....

That's my experience too, 2.8 just shuts down after 5-10 minutes (optical rendu). Light goes out, and on rebooting sticks at red,. Revert to 2.7 and all works fine. Andrew ask me to return to SGC but sounds as though it's not just a glitch in the specific card.

Desktop: SonicTranporter i7, Ubiquiti switch, optical, OpticalRendu, Musician Pegasus, Linear Tube MicroZOTL 3, ZMF Verite Open

Main: SonicTransporter i7, Uniquiti switch, optical, EtherRegen, Lumin U1, Bricasti M3, Naim 252/250, DeVore Gibbon Nines

2 minutes ago, johnwilk said:

That's my experience too, 2.8 just shuts down after 5-10 minutes (optical rendu). Light goes out, and on rebooting sticks at red,. Revert to 2.7 and all works fine. Andrew ask me to return to SGC but sounds as though it's not just a glitch in the specific card.

I’ve been listening about an hour since I got home from work and sorted things out again. No issues so far, both times it crashed was in the morning and was playing a break in disc on repeat, pcm via HQPlayer. I have not reverted back to 2.7 yet.

I hope they can fix with an update or direct patch.

15 hours ago, BCRich said:

I’ve been listening about an hour since I got home from work and sorted things out again. No issues so far, both times it crashed was in the morning and was playing a break in disc on repeat, pcm via HQPlayer. I have not reverted back to 2.7 yet.

I hope they can fix with an update or direct patch.

Just had an arbitrary shut down. This was after about 3.5 hours of playback.

stuck at red on reboot etc.

As mentioned above, my experience is that 2.7 works perfectly with my Optical Rendu whereas 2.8 with the same settings and same chain, everything unaltered, will play for only a short time and then the light goes out on the Rendu. This is not down to the switch which is optical and is working perfectly with the main system and its Lumin streamer, it is not down to the SGC power supply which works perfectly with 2.7; it is hard to avoid the conclusion that this is a software problem. I have tried five or six times, swapping back to 2.7, and the behaviour is consistent.

Desktop: SonicTranporter i7, Ubiquiti switch, optical, OpticalRendu, Musician Pegasus, Linear Tube MicroZOTL 3, ZMF Verite Open

Main: SonicTransporter i7, Uniquiti switch, optical, EtherRegen, Lumin U1, Bricasti M3, Naim 252/250, DeVore Gibbon Nines

27 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Red means no boot and no internet. It means you have power but that can be deceiving if it's not enough power.  

Hi Jesus,

I am using the Sonore Power Supply in conjunction with the Optical Module.

This seems to be an arbitrary issue, no telling when or why. Been playing non stop since the last time it crashed. Also never an issue with 2.7 however full disclosure I have not switched back. I suppose I should at this point.

Here are some tips/comments for reporting issues:

1. When was the last update. (fixes known bugs) 

2. Have you pressed Save in Settings. (solves most issues)

3. What output mode used.

4. What version of Sonic Orbiter is reported on your device. (if you using something older than 2.7 it's time to update) 

5. Are you able to Manage the unit from Sonicorbiter.com (the Sonicorbiter.com temporarily stores previously found devices, the question is can you access the unit) 

6. Have you reboot your switch and router. (useful for people with skipping tracks)

7. If you are using an LPS-1 have you tried it's charger to power the Rendu directly. (helps identify a PS issue) 

8. Is your DAC listed in DAC Diagnostics. (servers will not see the Rendu without this)

9. If you are using Roon do you have a log from Apps / RoonReady. (we can send these to Roon for comments)

10. Have you increased the lease time in your router. (decreases chances of a network drop)

11. What country are you in. 

12. Do you have firewalls and VNPs disabled. (causes connections issues)

13. For ultra/opticalRendu what color status LED. (red=power, orange=boot, green=internet)

14. If you updated Sonic Orbiter you need to enable the Rendu in the server. (for Roon go to Settings / Audio)

15. If you have playback, but no sound do you see a Momentary Frequency in Apps / DAC Diagnostics. (if yes, the issue is more likely than not downstream)

16. For opticalModule is your device 1000 speed. (oM only works with 1000 speed devices)

17. What USB device are you using. 

This is helpful – thank you! Although I pressed Save in Settings after installing 2.8 and naming the DAC, I didn't do so again after an update, and touch wood, this seems to have worked - I'm 40 minutes into playing now anyway!

Here are some tips/comments on DACs.

1. Most DACs need USB bus power. USB cables without bus power should be avoided because they more likely than not cause issues and all bets are off on support with them. 

2. If your DAC has Thesycon drives for Windows you want to update to Sonic Orbiter 2.8 which has improved support for these devices. 

3. Some DACs from PS Audio and Lamizator need Linux firmware installed on there USB interface. Please contact them directly to arrange this.

Received the 2.8 cards for my Signature Rendu SE and microrendu on Friday.  These comments only apply to the SE, I plan on using the microrendu to stream CD content so I will make comments in the appropriate thread.

Installation on the SE went perfectly as per the instructions attached.   No issues.    Install was very quick and allowed me to compare the sound quality of files.   I spent some time over the weekend listening.

Functionality of the 2.8 was / is the same for what I use it for.    I do believe sound quality is improved.   Without going into great detail, I think an overall improvement was  experienced.   Similar in my experience in going to a better quality , well balanced cable or power conditioner.

So far so good, interested in the comments from others.

27 minutes ago, micbro said:

Received the 2.8 cards for my Signature Rendu SE and microrendu on Friday.  These comments only apply to the SE, I plan on using the microrendu to stream CD content so I will make comments in the appropriate thread.

Installation on the SE went perfectly as per the instructions attached.   No issues.    Install was very quick and allowed me to compare the sound quality of files.   I spent some time over the weekend listening.

Functionality of the 2.8 was / is the same for what I use it for.    I do believe sound quality is improved.   Without going into great detail, I think an overall improvement was  experienced.   Similar in my experience in going to a better quality , well balanced cable or power conditioner.

So far so good, interested in the comments from others.

Are you using Roon?

Steve Plaskin

I somehow missed that 2.8 was released already. Just ordered mine now. :)

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

Maybe I missed it, is there going to be a 2.8 update for the SGC - sonicTransporter series?

• HQPE 1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM
  • Streaming Qobuz or playing files from external SSD
  • Surface Go 3 i3 Tablet with HQPlayer Client
  • ISP Cable Modem -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule 
  • Sonore opticalModule  -> 20m Fiber -> Sonore opticalModule -> Ethernet -> Managed Switch
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule Deluxe -> 5m Fiber -> Sonore Sig Rendu SE Optical ( HQPlayer NAA )
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet ->Small Green Computer sonicTransporter i9 Optical ( HQPlayer Embedded )
  • Sonore Sig Rendu SE Optical -> USB -> Holo Audio KTE May
  • Holo Audio KTE May -> XLR -> Goldpoint SA1X/47 -> XLR to Decware ZBIT -> RCA to Decware ZSTAGE25 -> RCA to Decware SE84UFO25 -> Avantgarde Duo Omega Horns with Townshend Audio Ribbon Super Tweeters
  • Decware SE84UFO25 -> Speaker Level to Jensen IsoMax Balanced Converter -> XLR Rives PARC -> XLR Avantgarde SUB225s

I have hit my first hurdle with 2.8 on the SE.   When switching to MPD / DLNA from RoonReady and using Linn Kazoo as a controller.

Cannot sign in to Tidal.   Account and password are entered and the screen just sticks at a "signing in" screen.

I've turned off / rebooted / reloaded latest Kazoo etc.

Any ideas as to what I could be doing wrong ?  Worked perfectly with 2.7

1 hour ago, micbro said:

I have hit my first hurdle with 2.8 on the SE.   When switching to MPD / DLNA from RoonReady and using Linn Kazoo as a controller.

Cannot sign in to Tidal.   Account and password are entered and the screen just sticks at a "signing in" screen.

I've turned off / rebooted / reloaded latest Kazoo etc.

Any ideas as to what I could be doing wrong ?  Worked perfectly with 2.7

what are you using for the media server?  minimserver is the best choice, imo.

also note that kazoo is based on open home standards so you need to account for that.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
32 minutes ago, micbro said:

I was using kazoo as per Sonore suggestion (MPD / DLNA and Kazoo) without issue on 2.7 .

I will experiment with your suggestion though.

I have not used it in awhile, but I am pretty sure you have to have "open home" for Kazoo to work properly.  When I used Kazoo my server (or NAS) was running Minimserver and bubble to have open home capability.  I suspect @vortecjr can confirm.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio