IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - The Operating System

Jesus,

Is it possible to get an update to enable PCM 1.5xxx/DSD 1024 output from my uRendu? My Holo Spring 2 supports this and the HQPlayer NAA supports it. I would like to try the PCM 1.5 xxx option now and maybe the DSD 1024 option later if I ever build a server that could do it. The PCM 1.5xxx processing is within the ability of my current hardware. I am not sure if this is a software limitation of sonicOrbiter or a hardware limitation of the Rendu series.

Thanks,

Bob

13 hours ago, bobflood said:

Jesus,

Is it possible to get an update to enable PCM 1.5xxx/DSD 1024 output from my uRendu? My Holo Spring 2 supports this and the HQPlayer NAA supports it. I would like to try the PCM 1.5 xxx option now and maybe the DSD 1024 option later if I ever build a server that could do it. The PCM 1.5xxx processing is within the ability of my current hardware. I am not sure if this is a software limitation of sonicOrbiter or a hardware limitation of the Rendu series.

Thanks,

Bob

Have you tried it as is?

1 hour ago, vortecjr said:

Have you tried it as is?

Jesus, Just tried it and distorted sound is all I can get. It does show the correct 1.5xxx as the incoming signal on the Spring 2. HQP and Roon are also showing the correct numbers so I would guess that the uRendu software or hardware is the problem. I thought I remembered that the Rendus topped out at 7xxx/512. I think I saw something about it in a post by Barrows recently. It is not a big deal as 7xxx PCM sounds great but I had just wanted to see if 1.5xxx PCM was any better.

4 hours ago, bobflood said:

Jesus, Just tried it and distorted sound is all I can get. It does show the correct 1.5xxx as the incoming signal on the Spring 2. HQP and Roon are also showing the correct numbers so I would guess that the uRendu software or hardware is the problem. I thought I remembered that the Rendus topped out at 7xxx/512. I think I saw something about it in a post by Barrows recently. It is not a big deal as 7xxx PCM sounds great but I had just wanted to see if 1.5xxx PCM was any better.

Your guess is as good as mine since I have no way to check it. Even if they were to send us a DAC Andrew at SGC would need to build a crazy machine just to try it. What other tests have you done with those rates? 

Anyway, let’s start by having a look at the output of Apps / DAC Diagnostics?

32 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Your guess is as good as mine since I have no way to check it. Even if they were to send us a DAC Andrew at SGC would need to build a crazy machine just to try it. What other tests have you done with those rates? 

Anyway, let’s start by having a look at the output of Apps / DAC Diagnostics?

Holo Audio Holo Audio UAC2.0 Gen2 Standard at usb-ci_hdrc.1-1.1.1, high speed : USB Audio

Playback:
    Interface = 1
    Altset = 1
    Packet Size = 1024
    Momentary freq = 1411200 Hz (0xb0.6666)
  Interface 1
    Altset 1
    Format: S32_LE
    Channels: 2
    Endpoint: 1 OUT (ASYNC)
    Rates: 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000, 352800, 384000, 705600, 768000, 1411200, 1536000
    Data packet interval: 125 us
  Interface 1
    Altset 2
    Format: S16_LE
    Rates: 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000, 352800, 384000, 705600, 768000, 1411200, 1536000
  Interface 1
    Altset 3
    Format: SPECIAL DSD_U32_BE
access: RW_INTERLEAVED
format: S32_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 1411200 (1411200/1)
period_size: 7056
buffer_size: 28224
Simple mixer control 'Holo Audio Internal Clock Validity',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'Holo Audio UAC2.0 Gen2 Standard  Playback S',0
  Capabilities: pswitch
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback [on]
  Front Right: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'Holo Audio UAC2.0 Gen2 Standard  Playback S',1
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'Holo Audio UAC2.0 Gen2 Standard  Playback V',0
  Capabilities: volume
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: 0 - 127
  Front Left: 127 [100%]
  Front Right: 127 [100%]
Simple mixer control 'Holo Audio UAC2.0 Gen2 Standard  Playback V',1
  Capabilities: volume volume-joined
  Capture channels: Mono
  Limits: 0 - 127
  Mono: 127 [100%]
LOGO

Copyright © 2008 - 2019 Simple Design, LLC . All rights reserved.

Here it is. This is while playing 44.1 material from Tidal/Roon ( running on a Win 10/64 machine) up-sampled to 1.4112 PCM using HQPlayer (also running on the same Win 10/64 machine. There is music playing but it is garbled and distorted. Just to be clear, I cannot even try DSD 1024 and don't care about that. My machine will do DSD 256 just fine and DSD 512 if pushed but I actually prefer the sound of PCM to any DSD rate that I can do. When I play PCM 7xxx all works fine and sounds great. Thanks for looking at this but don't spend too much time on it as all I wanted to do was an experiment to see if PCM 1.5xx filtering was any better than PCM 7xx filtering. This is not anything critical. I do suspect that others may have similar questions about The ability to use these rates going forward.
5 hours ago, bobflood said:

Tim at Holo/Kitsune is pretty sure that this would require a kernel update. Currently the only way is Windows/ASIO.

That doesn’t tell us what Kernel it requires or how they qualified it. This is not Windows or ASIO. I hope they qualified it on Linux and can tell us exactly what is required. 

• 2 months later...

We are currently working on SonicOribter 2.8 and all the apps will be updated for it. It will be available for purchase soon. When this work is complete we will look at circling back to the current version. We may or may not update the applications. Can’t make any promises.

4 hours ago, simon_pepper said:

So what’s planned to be in SonicOrbiter 2.8?

Is it a new SD card purchase, as 2.5 was, or an on-the-wire as 2.6 & 2.7 were?

Modernization of the Linux kernel, fix Spotify support, update all the other apps, switch to version of SqueezeLite that has on going support from it's developer. This is an SD card purchase because the jump is significant and complex.  

3 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Modernization of the Linux kernel, fix Spotify support, update all the other apps, switch to version of SqueezeLite that has on going support from it's developer. This is an SD card purchase because the jump is significant and complex.  

Ok, look forward to it - any SQ improvement?

5 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Wish I knew this before I purchased the High Capacity SD Card in August .. I would have waited for the update. Will you have an upgrade path for those of us using the HC SD Card? 

2 hours ago, Melvin said:

Wish I knew this before I purchased the High Capacity SD Card in August .. I would have waited for the update. Will you have an upgrade path for those of us using the HC SD Card? 

You can send it in, but it will be wiped out and the new Operating system installed. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Michaelb4 said:

Can SonicOrbiter access Amazon HD at 192/24 or is it limited to Shairpoint/ Airplay. Is it possible to create an app that would allow this or given Amazon this is currently unrealistic?

Amazon HD is brand new so there are a lot of questions.  All software offerings -- SonicOrbiter, Roon, etc. -- are limited by what Amazon will allow them to do.  No one can just plug into Amazon HD, just like they can't for Tidal or Qobuz -- they have to negotiate the arrangement.

Patience is required -- it'll take a while for this to all get sorted out.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100