IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - The Operating System

On 1/4/2020 at 3:21 PM, R1200CL said:

@vortecjr

With reference to this review, is it possible technically to implement the  Home Audio Fidelity - Room Shaper SW into the Sonicorbiter for SonicTransporter HW ?

I personally wouldn’t mind even pay a reasonable price to have this implemented and avoid another PC in the digital chain.

I have not discussed it with him, but for now the feature set is fixed.

@vortecjr could you please tell us what are the new features of 2.8, at least the confirmed ones? Even if release date and pricing is unconfirmed. Thanks.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

5 hours ago, Matias said:

@vortecjr could you please tell us what are the new features of 2.8, at least the confirmed ones? Even if release date and pricing is unconfirmed. Thanks.

New modern Kernel, updated apps, return of Spotify (beta). I'm also trying to include Compact Disc Digital Audio Streaming as discussed here: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/57261-sonore-compact-disc-digital-audio-streaming/

What packages are updated with the 2.8 release, and with what additional features/functionality?

I am primarily interested in the SonoreUPnP Bridge and any changes that affect SQ in a Roon environment.

Not interested in Airplay, Spotify, CD Streaming between Rendu units.

Some level of Release notes would be appreciated given you are charging for this update.

Thanks,

Simon

56 minutes ago, simon_pepper said:

What packages are updated with the 2.8 release, and with what additional features/functionality?

I am primarily interested in the SonoreUPnP Bridge and any changes that affect SQ in a Roon environment.

Some level of Release notes would be appreciated given you are charging for this update.

Thanks,

Simon

Look at post 703 just above.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
9 minutes ago, jcn3 said:

Look at post 703 just above.

Yes, that listed "New modern Kernel, updated apps, return of Spotify (beta). I'm also trying to include Compact Disc Digital Audio Streaming as discussed here"

So kernel updates were made with the 2.5 update, which was physical delivery, but since then there was the 2.6 & 2.7 which were download based updates.

"updated apps" - which ones, and with what additional functionality/features?

With the replacement SD card with the 2.8 release at $29 plus shipping - what is included and what difference to an existing system will this update make?

What is the impact of not making paying for this update?

These details are normally covered in Release Notes - what bugs are fixed, what new functionality is introduced, what are the known renaming issues etc.

image.thumb.png.79f42e84e57029ad36ad5cde0f364358.png

2 hours ago, simon_pepper said:

Yes, that listed "New modern Kernel, updated apps, return of Spotify (beta). I'm also trying to include Compact Disc Digital Audio Streaming as discussed here"

So kernel updates were made with the 2.5 update, which was physical delivery, but since then there was the 2.6 & 2.7 which were download based updates.

With the replacement SD card with the 2.8 release at $29 plus shipping - what is included and what difference to an existing system will this update make?

These details are normally covered in Release Notes - what bugs are fixed, what new functionality is introduced, what are the known renaming issues etc.

image.thumb.png.79f42e84e57029ad36ad5cde0f364358.png

As I remember, 2.6 & 2.7 also required the replacement of the SD card. If everything is working fine for you, then don't upgrade.

I had a SonicOrbiterSE which ran at 2.3 & update to 2.5 wasn’t supported, but added significant kernel updates.

I then upgraded this for an UltraRendu which came with 2.5, then 2.6 and 2.7 were downloaded via the Software Upgrade route.

So just trying to determine what is included with 2.8 and what is delivered for upgrade cost.

Simon

18 hours ago, vortecjr said:

No. Hard copy on micro SD card only.    

What’s the difference between OpticalRendu and OpticalRendu for Roon ?

I use it as Roon endpoint normally, but can also use it with HQPlayer. 

Which product do I choose ?

Can I add a second card for MicroRendu and save shipping cost ?

2 hours ago, simon_pepper said:

I had a SonicOrbiterSE which ran at 2.3 & update to 2.5 wasn’t supported, but added significant kernel updates.

I then upgraded this for an UltraRendu which came with 2.5, then 2.6 and 2.7 were downloaded via the Software Upgrade route.

So just trying to determine what is included with 2.8 and what is delivered for upgrade cost.

Simon

You probably are not going to get any more detail than what has already been provided so it will cost you $29 to try it out, but as I said, if everything is working fine then there is no urgent need for you to upgrade.

Not trying necessarily to cheap out, but I own four rendus of three different types and am looking at a bit of an upgrade expense for multiple cards.  I understand that the sd cards may be customized for the specific model, but, if not, is it possible to buy one card, copy it at home to new sd cards, and run the same version of the OS on all devices?  (I don’t know if the model identification information on the home screen comes from the OS or ROM, so I understand that copying might not work without root access and Linux skills, but, if the identification information displays accurately on each device, copying the card could get the new OS into more units quickly, promoting uniformity in both the specific user’s experience across different products and in Sonore’s support of the rendus.)

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

2 hours ago, R1200CL said:

I tried. Didn’t work with Tidal. Not IPhone XS Max, nor IPad Pro. 
Tidal sees the OpticalRendu, but no sound. 

I’m not quite sure what you mean by “Tidal sees the opticalRendu”, your iPad or iPhone needs to see it. I normally use Tidal through Roon not the app but just tried using the Tidal app on my iPad Air ll to my opticalRendu directly using Shairport and it worked fine. I could help you troubleshoot it if you’d like. 

9 hours ago, simon_pepper said:

Thanks,

Simon

SonoreUPnP Bridge is the same just recompiled against the Kernel. 

8 hours ago, simon_pepper said:

Don't confuse patching a Kernel with updating to a newer Kernel and Fedora version. Sonic Orbiter 2.8 is a newer Kernel and Fedora version which was a significant amount of work to get it all working properly.   

3 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

Not trying necessarily to cheap out, but I own four rendus of three different types and am looking at a bit of an upgrade expense for multiple cards.  I understand that the sd cards may be customized for the specific model, but, if not, is it possible to buy one card, copy it at home to new sd cards, and run the same version of the OS on all devices?  (I don’t know if the model identification information on the home screen comes from the OS or ROM, so I understand that copying might not work without root access and Linux skills, but, if the identification information displays accurately on each device, copying the card could get the new OS into more units quickly, promoting uniformity in both the specific user’s experience across different products and in Sonore’s support of the rendus.)

We plan to offer a promotion to Signature Rendu owners. I can't condone what you are proposing and we also can't provide you support if we think you are doing what you propose.

19 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

We plan to offer a promotion to Signature Rendu owners. I can't condone what you are proposing and we also can't provide you support if we think you are doing what you propose.

Cool.  Thanks for the information.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

14 hours ago, daverich4 said:

I’m not quite sure what you mean by “Tidal sees the opticalRendu”, your iPad or iPhone needs to see it. I normally use Tidal through Roon not the app but just tried using the Tidal app on my iPad Air ll to my opticalRendu directly using Shairport and it worked fine. I could help you troubleshoot it if you’d like. 

The “error” was I selected my SU-1 and not USB as output from the opticalrendu. Working now. 

12 hours ago, R1200CL said:

@vortecjr

In order to get future updates, like Roon, do I need the 2.8 version, or will the present 2.7 be maintained with updates for the various apps ?

What about SonicTransporter ?

How or when will SonicTransporter be upgraded ?

Sonic Orbiter 2.7 will get critical updates for a while. You have to email Andrew about SonicTransporter. 

Jesus, can you confirm clearly if there are any sonic improvements with 2.8, or is it only new features and functions? 

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's