IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

I've had the uRendu now for 3 days (iFi power, Roon to Devialet 200) and it's worked perfectly... until this morning.

I was up late last night listening to music. I then stopped the music (via Roon) and went to bed. This morning, Roon could no longer see the uRendu. the uRendu was on, green light on, yellow blinking. I checked SonicOrbiter.com and it immediately found the uRendu. I tried shutting down Roon and restarting - no change. I tried 'Restart RoonReady' via SonicOrbiter.com - no change. I then rebooted the uRendu via SonicOrbiter.com -> System and it then immediately popped up in Roon. It's working fine now.

What caused Roon to lose it? Strange that it only happened last night and no other time.

Win 10 PC -> Roon -> Sonore µRendu -> Devialet 440 Pro -> Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers

Durham, NC

I've had the uRendu now for 3 days (iFi power, Roon to Devialet 200) and it's worked perfectly... until this morning.

I was up late last night listening to music. I then stopped the music (via Roon) and went to bed. This morning, Roon could no longer see the uRendu. the uRendu was on, green light on, yellow blinking. I checked SonicOrbiter.com and it immediately found the uRendu. I tried shutting down Roon and restarting - no change. I tried 'Restart RoonReady' via SonicOrbiter.com - no change. I then rebooted the uRendu via SonicOrbiter.com -> System and it then immediately popped up in Roon. It's working fine now.

What caused Roon to lose it? Strange that it only happened last night and no other time.

That's interesting, the SAME exact thing happened to me last night while listening way too long.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Roon needs to see the DAC for the output to be actived. As such, the unit needs to see the DAC for Roon to work. If the goes to sleep over night it will not show up in Roon so reinitalizing things brings the DAC up again.

I setup and listened to the microRendu a bit last night. I have original Rendu (not the Signature) and currently have it and the microRendu connected to the Schiit Gugnir Dac (original version not multibit). Obviously the Rendu is connected via BNC and the MircroRendu via USB. Everything plays out of the same JRiver engine controlled via JRemote on the iPAD. I am using the included iPower as the PSU for the microRendu; The original Rendu has its PSU built in.

Setup was very easy since I already had JRiver configured. The microRendu defaulted to the MPD/DLNA App and so there really was nothing to do to get started except select the microRendo channel on JRemote.

I listened for about an hour to an HD recording (Tord Gustavsen, The Well, 24/9600) played simultaneously through both units and then during tracks I switched between them on the DAC. My initial impression from this side by side listening is that the original Rendu has a "fatter" sound while the microRendu sounds a bit thinner and more airy. For example, the saxophone is much larger on the original Rendu. Having said that I am quite pleased so far with the microRendu.

After further listening I will decide which unit will be used with each of the two audio systems in my house.

JM

The standard Rendu has a pretty incredible power supply and this could explain what you are experiencing.

JMotzi, I trust you give the uR another 50-100hrs break-in before making this decision?

I am happy with the uR so the only decision is which system gets which device and yes I can take my time with that decision. Not sure I believe in break-in for computers however, which is what these devices are. :)

JM

Nearfield Desk System: PC with JRiver MC > Sonore microRendu > Schiit Gungnir USB DAC > 6AH4 Linestage > 6CB5A Amp  >Dave's Cables > Omega Super 3 Desktop Speakers on 1-3/4" Maple Butcher Block Table

My "Living Room" System: Sony HAP-Z1ES Player, 2 Pass Labs XA60.5 (Mids/Lows), Pass Labs XA30.5 Amp (Highs), First Watt B4 & B5 Crossovers, Nuforce MCP-18 Preamp, Oppo BDP-103D Video Player, Parasound 275v2 Amp (Center), Parasound 275v2 Amp (SL, SR) Paradigm 90P Full Range Speakers with Powered Subwoofers, Paradigm CC Center Channel, Paradigm Mini Monitor Surrounds, Sony KDL46XBR9 Monitor

Roon needs to see the DAC for the output to be actived. As such, the unit needs to see the DAC for Roon to work. If the goes to sleep over night it will not show up in Roon so reinitalizing things brings the DAC up again.

Simply turning my DAC (Lampizator) off and then back on has brought Sonic Transporter/uRendu back online in similar instances (using Roon output mode)

RoonBridge software and RAAT are pretty new too. I gotta think there are some bugs there. It may take a while to flush out the complex distributed software issues between different products (also NAA, LMS, MPD, UPnP, DLNA). The good news is the Sonore software is going to be very robust based on our field testing. :)

My system here

That's interesting, the SAME exact thing happened to me last night while listening way too long.

I've experienced this using my Aries as a Roon endpoint. It happened frequently at first, but improved with upgrades to Roon. It's happened once in maybe the last three weeks.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Hmmm, the Devialet was never "off" but does reduce power (low power mode) when it sees no input after a period of time. But strange that this only happened last night. It's been working fine since Wednesday without the need for the reboot.

It also seems a bit off that the uRendu has to be rebooted to re-establish the connection. Is there a way to avoid that? My ever-so-sweet wife will never accept that she's got to fire up a browser to reboot something so that she can listen to NPR in the morning.

Win 10 PC -> Roon -> Sonore µRendu -> Devialet 440 Pro -> Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers

Durham, NC

Mdconnelly - Our wives would have a lot to talk about.

Hah! Indeed. I just got my wife willing to switch from using Squeezepad on her iPad to using Roon. She likes Roon but doesn't quite understand why the bother to switch. So I just hope that the uRendu reboot will not be an ongoing issue. She's usually up in the morning before me ;-)

Durham, NC

So, if the DAC (in this case, my Devialet) goes to sleep, does the uRendu also? When the DAC wakes up, why doesn't the uRendu once again see it thus enabling Roon to see it as well? I guess I'm not quite understanding what the uRendu is doing (or not doing) in this scenario that ultimately requires a uRendu reboot. But the bigger headscratching is why this only happened last night but not the prior 2 nights.

If this is ultimately a Roon issue, I'll be glad to post the question there as well.

Durham, NC

It also seems a bit off that the uRendu has to be rebooted to re-establish the connection. Is there a way to avoid that? My ever-so-sweet wife will never accept that she's got to fire up a browser to reboot something so that she can listen to NPR in the morning.

Oh please let this not be true or I'd never have bought one to use with a Devialet!

i think my wife would justifiably feel the same, as would I - there's no good reason to need to reboot a streamer to reconnect to a DAC that has disconnected for whatever reason - if it does it's not been designed properly. Hopefully this is just early teething problems.

FYI the Devialet does drop USB connection in low power state, but it could equally happen if you select any other input, so it would be incredibly annoying if the microRendu needed

A reboot after every input change.

Will let let you know how mine deals with this when it arrives.

As you say it may be a Roon issue, but I know a similar issue came up on the SE but I thought that was only in HQPlayer NAA mode....

Roon lifetime > Mac Mini > ethernet > microRendu (RAAT) w/ Paul Hynes SR3 > Intona > Curious USB link > Devialet 250 Pro > PMC fact 8.

Hmmm, the Devialet was never "off" but does reduce power (low power mode) when it sees no input after a period of time. But strange that this only happened last night. It's been working fine since Wednesday without the need for the reboot.

As far as I can tell this is not a hardware or software issue in the microRendu itself. I have been running one for several months and never experienced this issue. I can unplug and plug in the DAC and it just sees it fine.

I am using it in Squeezelite mode not roon, so that might be an issue.

Another possibility is DHCP leases. When a computer (such as the microRendu) boots up the DHCP server assigns it a "lease" to use the network, this lease has a time out, frequently several days. Near the end of the lease the device and the DHCP server are supposed to renew the lease so everything can continue. But if something happens and the DHCP server does not renew the lease, the microRendu will not be allowed on the network. When the microRendu reboots it requests a new lease, not just renewing an old one.

A similar possibility is that the lease is renewed but the DHCP server gives it a different IP address, with a different address the server would not be able to find it. Most DHCP servers are setup to use the same IP address for a particular device once it assigns it the first time. But this is not always the case, they can also be setup to change the address every time the lease is renewed.

Given that the issue happens with a couple to few days time frame this lease issue comes to mind as a possibility. I have had both of these issues happen on my system. The first one would happen when the router had been on for many months, under these conditions the software seems to degrade and the DHCP server gets slower and slower and eventually doesn't respond fast enough to renew requests. The solution was to reboot the router every month and the problem went away. I eventually bought a much better router that didn't have the slowdown problem.

The changing IP address was a configuration setting in the router that somehow had gotten changed from the original setting. Once I changed it back to "keep IP addresses" the problem went away.

The IP changing is easy to check, go to sonicorbiter.com and write down the IP address. The next time you have the problem in the morning, check sonicorbiter.com and see if the IP address has changed.

You can try rebooting your router and see if the problem goes away, if it does it is most likely the lease timeout problem.

John S.

As far as I can tell this is not a hardware or software issue in the microRendu itself. I have been running one for several months and never experienced this issue. I can unplug and plug in the DAC and it just sees it fine.

I am using it in Squeezelite mode not roon, so that might be an issue.

Another possibility is DHCP leases. When a computer (such as the microRendu) boots up the DHCP server assigns it a "lease" to use the network, this lease has a time out, frequently several days. Near the end of the lease the device and the DHCP server are supposed to renew the lease so everything can continue. But if something happens and the DHCP server does not renew the lease, the microRendu will not be allowed on the network. When the microRendu reboots it requests a new lease, not just renewing an old one.

A similar possibility is that the lease is renewed but the DHCP server gives it a different IP address, with a different address the server would not be able to find it. Most DHCP servers are setup to use the same IP address for a particular device once it assigns it the first time. But this is not always the case, they can also be setup to change the address every time the lease is renewed.

Given that the issue happens with a couple to few days time frame this lease issue comes to mind as a possibility. I have had both of these issues happen on my system. The first one would happen when the router had been on for many months, under these conditions the software seems to degrade and the DHCP server gets slower and slower and eventually doesn't respond fast enough to renew requests. The solution was to reboot the router every month and the problem went away. I eventually bought a much better router that didn't have the slowdown problem.

The changing IP address was a configuration setting in the router that somehow had gotten changed from the original setting. Once I changed it back to "keep IP addresses" the problem went away.

The IP changing is easy to check, go to sonicorbiter.com and write down the IP address. The next time you have the problem in the morning, check sonicorbiter.com and see if the IP address has changed.

You can try rebooting your router and see if the problem goes away, if it does it is most likely the lease timeout problem.

John S.

Interesting....

It would definitely be preferable (for me) to have the option to set a static/manual IP.

Anything permanent and wired in my house is set to static. Removes any such issues for 'always on' type devices. Hopefully Sonore can add that option to the software at some point.... DHCP definitely has its advantages in the right situation, but sometimes it's an unnecessary addition IMO.

Roon lifetime > Mac Mini > ethernet > microRendu (RAAT) w/ Paul Hynes SR3 > Intona > Curious USB link > Devialet 250 Pro > PMC fact 8.

It would definitely be preferable (for me) to have the option to set a static/manual IP.

Anything permanent and wired in my house is set to static. Removes any such issues for 'always on' type devices. Hopefully Sonore can add that option to the software at some point.... DHCP definitely has its advantages in the right situation, but sometimes it's an unnecessary addition IMO.

Some routers (like the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter PoE I use) allow you to pin an IP address to a MAC address once DHCP has allocated it. That's what I've done for my two renderers (sMS-100 and Sonicorbiter SE; uRendu on the way).

Some routers (like the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter PoE I use) allow you to pin an IP address to a MAC address once DHCP has allocated it. That's what I've done for my two renderers (sMS-100 and Sonicorbiter SE; uRendu on the way).

I was about to suggest this, but you beat me to it.

Most modern routers can do this. Here is what the filter looks like for Asus:

image.png

Great advice on the IP/DHCP thing... Lease time on my router is 24 hours, but, I have been reconfiguring my setup while testing the last couple days so the uRendu was getting rebooted on occasion anyway. I know that it did have the same IP address this morning as it did last night, but it likely did expire during the night. I've now assigned it a fixed IP address so hopefully that will keep it from happening again. Fingers crossed.

Durham, NC

Update on MQA:

I just confirmed that MQA playback is working on the microRendu via a 2L download file playing through Roon / RoonReady output mode with a Mytek Brooklyn DAC.

Also works via JRiver and DLNA/MPD output mode.

I downloaded the test fees from here: 2L High Resolution Music .:. free TEST BENCH

Update on MQA:

I just confirmed that MQA playback is working on the microRendu via a 2L download file playing through Roon / RoonReady output mode with a Mytek Brooklyn DAC.

Also works via JRiver and DLNA/MPD output mode.

I downloaded the test fees from here: 2L High Resolution Music .:. free TEST BENCH

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren’t these normal flac files just like others ? these files don’t need any MQA process (encode/decode) in between as far as I can see and has been already MQA decoded. I have downloaded these files sometime back and it plays just fine in my non MQA system as well. So I am trying to understand what is especial playing through uR ?