IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

I need some kind of renderer software on the Mac Mini, right? And of course, I want to use my Ipad as remote control, since the Mac Mini is in a completely different room than the audio system.

Recommendations? I also have seen mention of this Linn/Kazoo player. But that would require switching from Minimserver to Bubble as the server software?

Install Bubble UPnP Server on the Mac. It doesn't replace Minimserver, rather it helps make it accessible to Open Home control point apps including Lumin (my fav) and Linn Kazoo. With both those programs running, the iPad apps should see both the Mac as a player and your Minimserver library containing your music files.

Digital Source: Synology DS415+ NAS  and Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5 Running Roon Core > Blue Jean Cable Cat6a >TP optical converter > Sonore OpticalRendu with Sonore LPS> Curious USB > Denafrips Pontus DAC

Analog Source: Dynavector XX2 mk2> Audiomods Series 5 silver arm > Sota Nova Series VI turntable w/Condor & Roadrunner motor controller/tachometer > Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage>

Both: BAT VK51SE preamp> Krell FPB300 power amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > > Custom room treatment > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

Install Bubble UPnP Server on the Mac. It doesn't replace Minimserver, rather it helps make it accessible to Open Home control point apps including Lumin (my fav) and Linn Kazoo. With both those programs running, the iPad apps should see both the Mac as a player and your Minimserver library containing your music files.

Thanks, I guess I'll give this a try tonight. So, in this case, the Mac doesn't actually need a player? The Ipad app will just tell the Mac to stream to the microRendu?

But now - how do I play music?! I need some kind of renderer software on the Mac Mini, right? And of course, I want to use my Ipad as remote control, since the Mac Mini is in a completely different room than the audio system.

Recommendations? I see some of you are using a combination of Roon/HQPlayer. I also have seen mention of this Linn/Kazoo player. But that would require switching from Minimserver to Bubble as the server software?

In general, a UPnP control point app for your iPad is all you should need to tell the uRendu what to play from Minimserver. I don't know what apps are best, since I use Android devices running the BubbleUPnP Android app as control points. BubbleUPnP Server is an overlay you can run with Minimserver to make your server provide OpenHome functionality (among other features), which I believe is what Linn/Kazoo wants.

Or simply install BuubleServer on the uRendu. It's already loaded on the web interface to go ahead and download/install. Either way, once you tell Buubleserver (via its web address GUI) to make your uRendu an OpenHome copy (maybe give it a name with OH in it, to differentiate on control points that would see them both), you are good to go.

On a different note, after playing about an hr I find that the uR gets quiet warm (but not hot to touch). Its powered by the ifi. Anybody else noticing it as well ?

My experience is the same. The uRendu powered by the iFi is definitely warm to touch but never what I would consider hot.

I measured the temperature with ifi power supply and music playing at 109F. Can the Jesus/John confirm that its normal ?

Or simply install BuubleServer on the uRendu. It's already loaded on the web interface to go ahead and download/install. Either way, once you tell Buubleserver (via its web address GUI) to make your uRendu an OpenHome copy (maybe give it a name with OH in it, to differentiate on control points that would see them both), you are good to go.

Yes, that should be normal. Typically not being able to put your hand on something for an extended period of time is 130*F - 150*F but of course everyone has a different threshold (mine being much higher than the typical).

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Should have known better.... For 10 days I've been using the mRendu with the supplied hard connecter straight into my Lampizator DAC. The best USB cable must be NO USB cable, right?? Well, not in this instance. I'd used the Regen with the hard connecter but needed to use a USB cable to connect my Aries to the Regen. Used a .7m Supra to do this - best sound IMO out of 3 or 4 I tried. Tried Curious Cable to replace hard connecter too, but liked the hard connecter better.

To get to the point. After futzing with PSUs, ethernet cable and all kinds of other stuff I was hearing a bit of hardness to the sound. Finally it hit me to try something closer to the cabling I was previously using so in went the Supra USB........ and there it was. Things smoothed out a bit and just sounded more to my liking and more like music.

More progress... getting better and better.

Yes, that should be normal. Typically not being able to put your hand on something for an extended period of time is 130*F - 150*F but of course everyone has a different threshold (mine being much higher than the typical).

Did you just reply to the wrong thread ?

anyway, folks here reported it runs cool or just a bit warm to touch. I wasn’t too sure of that.

Should have known better.... For 10 days I've been using the mRendu with the supplied hard connecter straight into my Lampizator DAC. The best USB cable must be NO USB cable, right?? Well, not in this instance. I'd used the Regen with the hard connecter but needed to use a USB cable to connect my Aries to the Regen. Used a .7m Supra to do this - best sound IMO out of 3 or 4 I tried. Tried Curious Cable to replace hard connecter too, but liked the hard connecter better.

To get to the point. After futzing with PSUs, ethernet cable and all kinds of other stuff I was hearing a bit of hardness to the sound. Finally it hit me to try something closer to the cabling I was previously using so in went the Supra USB........ and there it was. Things smoothed out a bit and just sounded more to my liking and more like music.

More progress... getting better and better.

Have you / can you compare the microRendu with hard connector vs. the Curious cable? I'm using the hard connector but wondering if buying a Curious Regen Link cable would be an improvement.

Digital Source: Synology DS415+ NAS  and Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5 Running Roon Core > Blue Jean Cable Cat6a >TP optical converter > Sonore OpticalRendu with Sonore LPS> Curious USB > Denafrips Pontus DAC

Analog Source: Dynavector XX2 mk2> Audiomods Series 5 silver arm > Sota Nova Series VI turntable w/Condor & Roadrunner motor controller/tachometer > Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage>

Both: BAT VK51SE preamp> Krell FPB300 power amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > > Custom room treatment > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

Have you / can you compare the microRendu with hard connector vs. the Curious cable? I'm using the hard connector but wondering if buying a Curious Regen Link cable would be an improvement.

Tried the CCL months ago with Regen,,, didn't keep it. Very clean but in my system thought it thinned sound a bit. "Curious" about it though. Things sound so good right now think I'll just keep cooking with this setup for a while.

Tried the CCL months ago with Regen,,, didn't keep it. Very clean but in my system thought it thinned sound a bit. "Curious" about it though. Things sound so good right now think I'll just keep cooking with this setup for a while.

Doak and I disagreed with respect to the Curious link, but he and I are both in agreement that the right USB cable can offer a very worthwhile improvement over the hard adapter.

I thought the Curious link was a significant improvement over the hard adapter with my REGEN so I haven't even checked the microRendu box to even see if a hard adapter is included.

This weekend I plan to evaluate with the help of a friend which is the better cable to use after the mR: the Curious link or the Audience Au24 SE USB cable that I was previously using between Aries and REGEN.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

don't you think each dac will respond differently with the same usb cable ?

That's not been my experience. Amongst some close friends who all have great but very different systems, I've seen a surprising level of consistency of in our impressions of USB cables and tweaks like the REGEN.

Where there are differences it's usually more about the listener and his/her preferences. I think overall system synergy plays a part - maybe more so than just the DAC.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

A very surprising (or not so surprising) total misunderstanding and total fabrication by Amir over at WBF, concerning the Regen section (both the Regen and Sonore uRendu) as well as the explanations by John Swenson:

He had two theories:

1. That a degraded USB signal causes the receiver to ask for retransmission of USB data. Therefore he thought by strengthening the USB signal through a Hub chip, would help. Well, that is not remotely a problem with our short USB connections. Data gets to our USB devices just fine, thank you very much. When I met with John, I asked him how often that was happening and he said it was not because it looks like newer USB silicon does not do this anyway.

Another thread which started with good natured sharing of the review and launch of the device closed over at WBF...

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

It's done via the GUI (webpage) under Apps-Software Manager. I'm sure Jesus will announce when one is available (like when Andrew finishes the Tidal skipping bug fix, etc). Current software is 2.1

Sometimes we update things and don't change the number. I would only update if we ask you to or if we post a feature you like and want to try.

Sometimes we update things and don't change the number. I would only update if we ask you to or if we post a feature you like and want to try.

Agreed. (I was only responding to Jason's "how do we get updates; are they automatic" question). Like any OS, I always try to inhibit automatic updates, as I hate to apply a fix to something that ain't broken. I'm sure you'll be clear about what and why we need to do some. :)

Ok, I'm struggling to get my mR up and running using my Mac Mini. I have been using an Aries for the past year as well - running Minimserver on the Mac Mini with an external hard drive as file storage - basically using my Mac Mini as a NAS. Ok, so I've gotten mR configured using the Mac Mini just fine. But now - how do I play music?! I need some kind of renderer software on the Mac Mini, right? And of course, I want to use my Ipad as remote control, since the Mac Mini is in a completely different room than the audio system.

Recommendations? I see some of you are using a combination of Roon/HQPlayer. I also have seen mention of this Linn/Kazoo player. But that would require switching from Minimserver to Bubble as the server software?

Snip, snip...

Hmm, this is turning out to be anything but a plug-and-play solution as suggested here: SONORE microRendu quick setup guide

You can add either Linn Kazoo or Lumin to your iPad to control playback and still use Minimserver.

Edit | Apologies, I see you have gotten a number of responses already. Also someone correct me if I am wrong but I don't think this scenario requires use of BubbleServerUpNP.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Instead of just having one version of mR as 2.1, should it be wise to also display each of the app’s package version and also the version of linux kernel ? There are lot of devices which displays versions of individual modules - it helps debugging problems a bit easier in case you plan to release updates for individual packages at some point.

….just a thought, I am fine with whatever it is now as long as it sounds good :-)

You can add either Linn Kazoo or Lumin to your iPad to control playback and still use Minimserver.

Edit | Apologies, I see you have gotten a number of responses already. Also someone correct me if I am wrong but I don't think this scenario requires use of BubbleServerUpNP.

Bubble upnp is needed for Linn/Kazoo to see the uR as a renderer. it makes the mR open home complaint, if I am not mistaken.

Agreed. (I was only responding to Jason's "how do we get updates; are they automatic" question). Like any OS, I always try to inhibit automatic updates, as I hate to apply a fix to something that ain't broken. I'm sure you'll be clear about what and why we need to do some. :)

But it is broken. That's why you're getting the fix :-)

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

Instead of just having one version of mR as 2.1, should it be wise to also display each of the app’s package version and also the version of linux kernel ? There are lot of devices which displays versions of individual modules - it helps debugging problems a bit easier in case you plan to release updates for individual packages at some point.

….just a thought, I am fine with whatever it is now as long as it sounds good :-)

It already does this in Apps/Package Manager/Installed Apps.