IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

Just ordered a Sonore Signature Series Power Supply, does that come with the Cardas cable automatically, or did I have to request that separately?

The microRendu sounded so good I had to get the upgrade power supply.

My dac is the Chord Dave dac and right now I'm using the ifi power plug. I have used the sotm battery power supply and I did hear an improvement, that's the reason I decided to get the Sonore power supply.

Just ordered a Sonore Signature Series Power Supply, does that come with the Cardas cable automatically, or did I have to request that separately?

My dac is the Chord Dave dac and right now I'm using the ifi power plug. I have used the sotm battery power supply and I did hear an improvement, that's the reason I decided to get the Sonore power supply.

Wow... you're moving up quickly.

Very interested in your take of how Sonore Signature Supply impacts the sound in your system.

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren’t these normal flac files just like others ? these files don’t need any MQA process (encode/decode) in between as far as I can see and has been already MQA decoded. I have downloaded these files sometime back and it plays just fine in my non MQA system as well. So I am trying to understand what is especial playing through uR ?

Assuming you choose the MQ-encoded ones (all DXD and from the middle column) they are indeed MQA-encoded. This does not mean they won't play in your non-MQA system (this has been a selling point); it simply means that they will be enhanced when played back by an MQA decoder (in the Mytek Brooklyn dac, for example). The amount, quality and effect of the enhancement is, like any new audio technology, debatable...and has been debated ad nauseum on these pages for almost a year now. Jesus's point is that the MQ encoding can be passed through the uRendu intact.

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren’t these normal flac files just like others ? these files don’t need any MQA process (encode/decode) in between as far as I can see and has been already MQA decoded. I have downloaded these files sometime back and it plays just fine in my non MQA system as well. So I am trying to understand what is especial playing through uR ?

Yes. Nothing. I'm just reporting that they work as expected.

The Cardas DC cable is included.

Assuming you choose the MQ-encoded ones (all DXD and from the middle column) they are indeed MQA-encoded. This does not mean they won't play in your non-MQA system (this has been a selling point); it simply means that they will be enhanced when played back by an MQA decoder (in the Mytek Brooklyn dac, for example). The amount, quality and effect of the enhancement is, like any new audio technology, debatable...and has been debated ad nauseum on these pages for almost a year now. Jesus's point is that the MQ encoding can be passed through the uRendu intact.

Bingo....it's just something that needed to be checked.

I'm experiencing a strange problem - I am getting very low output volume output from MicroRendu through Audioquest Dragonfly, almost as if the software volume control in MPD is set down at 10. I just moved, so most of my audio equipment in storage, and other DAC at hand is not seen by MicroRendu (Schiit Modi). Plugged MicroRendu into Dragonfly, volume out to both a Schiit Asgard 2 and a set of powered speakers. Using Kazoo, set volume at 100 and still barely get any sound. Have checked the powered speakers and Asgard - all is functioning normally. Was thinking there's a miscommunication with the Dragonfly volume control, as Kazoo has a software volume. Any thoughts, Jesus?

I'm experiencing a strange problem - I am getting very low output volume output from MicroRendu through Audioquest Dragonfly, almost as if the software volume control in MPD is set down at 10. I just moved, so most of my audio equipment in storage, and other DAC at hand is not seen by MicroRendu (Schiit Modi). Plugged MicroRendu into Dragonfly, volume out to both a Schiit Asgard 2 and a set of powered speakers. Using Kazoo, set volume at 100 and still barely get any sound. Have checked the powered speakers and Asgard - all is functioning normally. Was thinking there's a miscommunication with the Dragonfly volume control, as Kazoo has a software volume. Any thoughts, Jesus?

Email me at [email protected]

I setup and listened to the microRendu a bit last night. I have original Rendu (not the Signature) and currently have it and the microRendu connected to the Schiit Gugnir Dac (original version not multibit). Obviously the Rendu is connected via BNC and the MircroRendu via USB. Everything plays out of the same JRiver engine controlled via JRemote on the iPAD. I am using the included iPower as the PSU for the microRendu; The original Rendu has its PSU built in.

Setup was very easy since I already had JRiver configured. The microRendu defaulted to the MPD/DLNA App and so there really was nothing to do to get started except select the microRendo channel on JRemote.

I listened for about an hour to an HD recording (Tord Gustavsen, The Well, 24/9600) played simultaneously through both units and then during tracks I switched between them on the DAC. My initial impression from this side by side listening is that the original Rendu has a "fatter" sound while the microRendu sounds a bit thinner and more airy. For example, the saxophone is much larger on the original Rendu. Having said that I am quite pleased so far with the microRendu.

After further listening I will decide which unit will be used with each of the two audio systems in my house.

JM

J: I think you'll find that with some break in/warm up the µRendu will improve in terms of "weight", while retaining the additional airiness and detail. You should also hear a noticeably deeper soundstage with the µRendu, with improved definition of reverb tails (as they fade into black) and room acoustics (whether created by the engineer or real).

Additionally, improved power supplies will yield more depth and weight, and definition in the lower frequencies. BTW, Love Tord Gustavsen!

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

J: I think you'll find that with some break in/warm up the µRendu will improve in terms of "weight", while retaining the additional airiness and detail. You should also hear a noticeably deeper soundstage with the µRendu, with improved definition of reverb tails (as they fade into black) and room acoustics (whether created by the engineer or real).

Additionally, improved power supplies will yield more depth and weight, and definition in the lower frequencies. BTW, Love Tord Gustavsen!

This has been my experience over the last 4 days, and that's just with the iFi power. Using the uRendu to stream Roon to a Devialet 200 and comparing it with streaming via Devialet's AIR. Initially (1st 24 hours), I felt AIR had a bit more body, but late night listening for the last 2 nights, completely changed that. The uRendu is now doing all the things you mention. Bass depth and definition, 3D sound stage, and an abundance of detail all make it a huge winner in my book. Great job!

I'm just now scratching my head about what/how a better power supply can improve on this. The $1400 Sonore PS is a huge jump over the $50 iFi pricewise. Can't wait to hear comparisons on what that brings in SQ.

Win 10 PC -> Roon -> Sonore µRendu -> Devialet 440 Pro -> Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers

Durham, NC

Jesus:

I'm using the microRendu in Squeezelite mode, feeding a Benchmark DAC2. Ordinarily, If I want to play a DSD file, I have to convert it to DoP in Foobar prior to sending it to the DAC.

Does the "Enable DSD-over-PCM" setting in the microRendu/Squeezelite page mean that I no longer need to go through the Foobar step?

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

Jesus:

I'm using the microRendu in Squeezelite mode, feeding a Benchmark DAC2. Ordinarily, If I want to play a DSD file, I have to convert it to DoP in Foobar prior to sending it to the DAC.

Does the "Enable DSD-over-PCM" setting in the microRendu/Squeezelite page mean that I no longer need to go through the Foobar step?

You need Logitech Media Server to use SqueezeLite. LMS can stream DSD to SqueezeLite and SqueezeLite outputs DoP to your DAC. I'm not sure what Foobar2000 is doing or not doing.

You need Logitech Media Server to use SqueezeLite. LMS can stream DSD to SqueezeLite and SqueezeLite outputs DoP to your DAC. I'm not sure what Foobar2000 is doing or not doing.

Thank you.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

Got a new Ethernet cable from Bluejeans (6a) stuck in the system and it would not play. Tried rebooting the Urendu still no luck. What should the process be to put in a new cable?

I got 2 of these a few days ago to replace the stock patch cords that came with my Sonic Transporter/uRendu/iFi Power bundle. 1) I de-powered uRendu and turned of Sonic Transporter. 2) replaced the ethernet cables between router>uRendu and Sonic Transporter> router. 3) Powered back up and within a few minutes the system was up and going again. If that doesn't work advise going to web page and check settings. Reboot if from there if necessary.

Hope this does it.

I just retired five more pieces of gear out of my system: two fiber SFP media converters, fiber cable, AMB σ11 linear power supply for near end SFP, audiophile power cord for AMB.

The fiber doesn't sound better in my system. In fact, there *might* be a touch of grain in the upper midrange with the fiber in network. I'm pleased, but also a bit surprised because 1) fiber made a nice difference in my PC setup, and 2) there is an estimated 90-100 feet (29 meters) of Cat 5e going upstairs to a switch then a router, with an unknown number of splices (at least one) along the way.

So in addition to sounding amazing, this device is a veritable Marie Kondo of computer audio:

http://www.amazon.com/Life-Changing-Magic-Tidying-Decluttering-Organizing/dp/1607747308/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462745278&sr=8-1&keywords=mari+kondo

My system here

I got 2 of these a few days ago to replace the stock patch cords that came with my Sonic Transporter/uRendu/iFi Power bundle. 1) I de-powered uRendu and turned of Sonic Transporter. 2) replaced the ethernet cables between router>uRendu and Sonic Transporter> router. 3) Powered back up and within a few minutes the system was up and going again. If that doesn't work advise going to web page and check settings. Reboot if from there if necessary.

Hope this does it.

Did you depower by taking the7-9 volt feed out of the uRendu or did you power down in the system setting power down?

@theobetley - so you can see the microRendu on the network, is that correct?

Does the microRendu in turn see your DAC? Have you tried re starting the DAC?

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Jesus:

Probably best if you did the automatic packaging of DSD into DoP at the server end to reduce any processing (in the Rendu?). Make sure you are running a 7.9.x version of Logitech Media Server, open the plugins page on the server controls page, in third party plugins enable PlayDSD/DSDplay plugin, set the file types to convert, set the config for each DAC you are using on the network. This way you can even have DSD converted to pcm for DACs that don't support DoP. Once setup it's really great as you can have a single DSD file seen by the server and it will automatically DoP it for DSD capable DACs or convert to PCM for PCM DACs. Will even play to iOS players on the network without a hitch. There is a lengthy and informative thread at the Slimdevices forums.