IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

...I moved the connection from the uRendu/fiber switch to my router (although technically, to my router's 8 port gigabit switch). NAA is now fully glitch-free, playing DSD128 both natively and upsampling PCM or DSD64 to DSD128. It seems the uRendu does not like anything about my up-til-now very successful fiber network. NAS, HQP machine, Windows NAA, etc are still on that Diablo fiber switch, but even going uRendu copper into its RJ45 port wasn't doing it for the NAA mode (DLNA mode was fine). It's too early to tell if I am introducing any noise; seems not to. :)

To add a bit more to my report above about successfully running DSD128 in Roon mode, this is also with a mixed fiber-copper network.

So the micro rendu is connected to a fiber switch via an FMC, that fiber switch is connected to a mixed copper fiber switch (which my NAS is connected to), and in turn to the router. It's probably similar to your setup.

Maybe you could try another mode to see if this is an NAA-related issue?

Maybe you could try another mode to see if this is an NAA-related issue?

Yes, I have reported a few times now that MPD/DLNA (using MPD and drive mounted SMB NAS, or Kazoo and Minimserver) work just fine at max DoP DSD128 via the RJ45 port of the Diablo fiber switch. The only other mode I care to test is Roon ready (not an Airplay or Squeezelite user).

My biggest issue now is to find a DAC that plays raw (not DoP) DSD at 256+ via Linux. I've become spoiled with DSD512 upsampling.

Well...I moved the connection from the uRendu/fiber switch to my router (although technically, to my router's 8 port gigabit switch). NAA is now fully glitch-free, playing DSD128 both natively and upsampling PCM or DSD64 to DSD128. It seems the uRendu does not like anything about my up-til-now very successful fiber network. NAS, HQP machine, Windows NAA, etc are still on that Diablo fiber switch, but even going uRendu copper into its RJ45 port wasn't doing it for the NAA mode (DLNA mode was fine). It's too early to tell if I am introducing any noise; seems not to. :)

Ted - I am able to upsample everything to native (non-DoP) DSD256 using the HQP NAA selection on microRendu.

My network is somewhat similar to your network in that it includes a Diablo fiber switch and TP-Link media converters. My Linux server has an Intel NIC that goes to the Diablo switch which is turn goes to the TP-Links media converter before the microRendu.

Eric,

Which TP-Link FMC do you have with the uRendu? My MC220L does not negotiate between 100mb Ethernet and 1gb Ethernet (1000base-T), and I assumed that was part of the issue (maybe not). But that is good relevant data.

Not sure why pulling the uRendu from the Diablo freed up the NAA bandwidth (or at least assumed that's what happened).

Eric,

Which TP-Link FMC do you have with the uRendu? My MC220L does not negotiate between 100mb Ethernet and 1gb Ethernet (1000base-T), and I assumed that was part of the issue (maybe not). But that is good relevant data.

Not sure why pulling the uRendu from the Diablo freed up the NAA bandwidth (or at least assumed that's what happened).

I have the MC220L converter set on Auto mode.

I had the same issue with missing the "Select App" button in the mR UI :) Once I found it, switching between Roon and HQP was no problem.

Got my microRendu yesterday and had a few startup issues that I got resolved but thought it might be helpful to others that might be having similar issues.

1) First issue was that my network could not find the microRendu when using MySonicorbiter while the microRendu was positioned in its proper place next to my DAC. To be fair, my network is somewhat complex including several switches (fiber & copper), wireless access points, media converters (copper to fiber, fiber to copper), etc. To resolve the issue, I connected the microRendu directly to my router (Airport Extreme) and the microRendu was immediately found & an IP address assigned.

2) After issue 1) was resolved, I moved the microRendu back into its proper place in my system and it was found on my network as expected. The next issue was getting the HQP NAA selected and recognizing my DAC. This issue was user error on my part. When you go to the "apps" tab, there is a list of the available apps including HQP NAA. I kept selecting the HQP NAA app but nothing would happen. In my excitement to get everything running, I failed to notice the "select app" button (far left) - my eye just naturally gravitated to the HQP NAA button. I know this is spelled out in the documentation so obviously user error. In any case, once I did get the HQP NAA selected, my DAC wasn't being seen. I power cycled my DAC and after that it showed up under the "settings" tab and everything was working as advertised.

Hopefully this information might reduce the technical support calls to Jesus & Andrew.

@Jesus - I have the microRendu in RoonReady Mode. Connected to Devialet 400.

When I try to playback DSD64 content it is downsampling from DSD to PCM. I do have the DoP box checked and enabled. (Enabled DSD over PCM in Settings for the microRendu )

Suggestions on what I need to do to correct?

The Devialet does up to DSD64.

So to summarize, question #1 - what needs to be done to get DSD64 output to work? ( this works with Mac Mini used as RoonBridge FYI)

Question #2 - in Roon with other devices such as a Mac Mini used as either a RoonServer or RoonBridge one can specify the maximum DSD rate supported by one's DAC. In my case, DSD64, so assuming I get DSD64 working, will it "just know" to downsample to PCM content such as DSD128?

Thanks.

Update -

Answered my own question - within Roon in Sonore microRendu settings leave max sample rate disabled. Then DSD64 playback works. And DSD128 down samples to PCM as expected.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

I will let you know when I get mine. I have dual PC (well tricked out with ppa parts and LPS) running WS 2012 R2/Jplay/AO/Fidelizer Pro/PL setup with Intona and RUR inline and it does sound excellent. I am hoping that the microRendu will beat this setup.

Thanks Dev, Looking forward to your assessment. I have a similar setup with clean power running directly to ram. Even if the sound quality was only on par with my current system it would be worthwhile in one aspect, that is the simplification of equipment and cleaning up the clutter in my living room by getting rid of number of power supplies and computers.

I have the MC220L converter set on Auto mode.

Yep, same and same. Weird. The more I think about it, the more strange it is that the network position of the NAA would affect upsampling or throughput performance. I mean, it's just a FIFO buffer machine, right?

Thanks Dev, Looking forward to your assessment. I have a similar setup with clean power running directly to ram. Even if the sound quality was only on par with my current system it would be worthwhile in one aspect, that is the simplification of equipment and cleaning up the clutter in my living room by getting rid of number of power supplies and computers.

I've ordered one as well for the reason you stated. My living room over the last two years is looking more and more like a lab.

Digital System: Cybershaft 10MHz OCXO clock premium>Antelope Liveclock>RedNet D16>AES Cable>Mutec MC-3+ USB​>AES Cable>Schiit Yggy

Looking forward to a comparison with a highly optimized 2 computer system with JPlay and Audiophile optimizer

On my system, Linux snakeoil and mpd easily beat the above. Regardless, I weakened and ordered a uRendu.

- r

@Jesus - I have the microRendu in RoonReady Mode. Connected to Devialet 400.

When I try to playback DSD64 content it is downsampling from DSD to PCM. I do have the DoP box checked and enabled. (Enabled DSD over PCM in Settings for the microRendu )

Suggestions on what I need to do to correct?

The Devialet does up to DSD64.

So to summarize, question #1 - what needs to be done to get DSD64 output to work? ( this works with Mac Mini used as RoonBridge FYI)

Question #2 - in Roon with other devices such as a Mac Mini used as either a RoonServer or RoonBridge one can specify the maximum DSD rate supported by one's DAC. In my case, DSD64, so assuming I get DSD64 working, will it "just know" to downsample to PCM content such as DSD128?

Thanks.

Update -

Answered my own question - within Roon in Sonore microRendu settings leave max sample rate disabled. Then DSD64 playback works. And DSD128 down samples to PCM as expected.

Good catch!

My unit was shipped May 3rd and by May 5th it is reported to be on its way to Norway over the Atlantic Ocean, so yes! - the international orders have started shipping......(?)

Of course we have been shipping overseas. People forget that shipping in the US takes 1 or 2 or 3 days max so everyone here is getting their unit's first.

My routing up til now has been very successful (DSD512 upsampling at 30% cpu usage; DSD256 multichannel upsampling; silent backgrounds) using my Diablo fiber switch and fiber throughout. My NAS, Windows NAA and router are all using the Diablo via FMCs (fiber converters) while my HQP machine uses it directly from a fiber NIC card in the machine.

Enter the uRendu. When I had this setup using the SSR (Sig Rendu) I noitced that the SSR did not like the fiber/FMC and concluded it needed lower bandwidth (fiber is always gigabit, at least, especially with my FMCs). So I began that way with the uRendu, pluggin it into the sole RJ45 port of the Dibalo fiber switch. MLP and DLNA mode worked fine (DSD128 max DoP with my test DAC). NAA hiccupped badly. I switched to using the fiber/FMC cabling previously used successfully with my Windows NAA machine. Got worse everywhere, which made sense to me, given the SSR results.

Well...I moved the connection from the uRendu/fiber switch to my router (although technically, to my router's 8 port gigabit switch). NAA is now fully glitch-free, playing DSD128 both natively and upsampling PCM or DSD64 to DSD128. It seems the uRendu does not like anything about my up-til-now very successful fiber network. NAS, HQP machine, Windows NAA, etc are still on that Diablo fiber switch, but even going uRendu copper into its RJ45 port wasn't doing it for the NAA mode (DLNA mode was fine). It's too early to tell if I am introducing any noise; seems not to. :)

I hope you guys can find out the solution to the inconsistencies. I need a switch badly now with the uR, and don't know what to buy. Had my eye on this: 9 Ports Gigabit Ethernet Optical Fiber Switch with 8 SFP Ports and 1 1000M RJ45 | eBay

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

Received my urendu today...been playing in NAA mode (DOP128) for a couple of hours using Uptone power supply at 7V into my Lampy Big7. Sounds comparable at this point to my CAPS Zuma running WS2012 with AO in core as an NAA, up sampled to native DSD256.

However, on about 2 out of every 3 songs, I get a hard stutter. With the CAPS as NAA passing Quad DSD (DSD256), I can't recall having a single stutter. So it's not the HQPlayer computer (quad core i7, 3.8GHz) and I doubt it is my network given the above. Any ideas?

Synology NAS -> Quadcore i7, 3.8GHz -> RoonServer -> HQPlayer (all up sampled to DSD128) -> Sonore urendu (Uptone JS2 PS) -> Lampizator Golden Gate DAC -> Valvet A4 Monoblocks -> Zu Audio Definitions Mk4

Received my urendu today...been playing in NAA mode (DOP128) for a couple of hours using Uptone power supply at 7V into my Lampy Big7. Sounds comparable at this point to my CAPS Zuma running WS2012 with AO in core as an NAA, up sampled to native DSD256.

However, on about 2 out of every 3 songs, I get a hard stutter. With the CAPS as NAA passing Quad DSD (DSD256), I can't recall having a single stutter. So it's not the HQPlayer computer (quad core i7, 3.8GHz) and I doubt it is my network given the above. Any ideas?

I only know two tricks in HQ Player: 1. In Settings increase the buffer. 2. In settings check or uncheck Pipeline SDM. These are comments from Jussi, "On a quad-core CPU it is good to enable "Pipeline SDM" setting in HQPlayer to split the load to more cores, especially if the output rate is DSD256 or higher. For DSD512 many machines require use of -2s category filters to keep up with the load."

My routing up til now has been very successful (DSD512 upsampling at 30% cpu usage; DSD256 multichannel upsampling; silent backgrounds) using my Diablo fiber switch and fiber throughout. My NAS, Windows NAA and router are all using the Diablo via FMCs (fiber converters) while my HQP machine uses it directly from a fiber NIC card in the machine.

Enter the uRendu. When I had this setup using the SSR (Sig Rendu) I noitced that the SSR did not like the fiber/FMC and concluded it needed lower bandwidth (fiber is always gigabit, at least, especially with my FMCs). So I began that way with the uRendu, pluggin it into the sole RJ45 port of the Dibalo fiber switch. MLP and DLNA mode worked fine (DSD128 max DoP with my test DAC). NAA hiccupped badly. I switched to using the fiber/FMC cabling previously used successfully with my Windows NAA machine. Got worse everywhere, which made sense to me, given the SSR results.

Ted, what is the make and model of your router?

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Yes, that's right and one of the reasons why I ordered it also. I like simple systems and less clutter. With dual PC CAPs setup along with USB fixers, it too many devices with their power supplies to be had just for the source and maintenance is also a hassle.

Day two impressions. Still iFi powered into a Devialet 200:

Sound has opened up a big more, and first day upper bass congestion is gone. Stunned at how my speakers have vanished - the system is effectively gone and there is just music.

Two early day nit picks - The depth of the soundstage is not quite there yet, but I'm sure that will come. Of bigger concern, changes in sample rate in my library sometime makes playback drop out. Something the music comes back on it's own, and sometimes I've had to reboot the micro. I'm running Squeezelite for playback and will play with the settings in LMS.

What are you hearing?

Yes, I have reported a few times now that MPD/DLNA (using MPD and drive mounted SMB NAS, or Kazoo and Minimserver) work just fine at max DoP DSD128 via the RJ45 port of the Diablo fiber switch. The only other mode I care to test is Roon ready (not an Airplay or Squeezelite user).

My biggest issue now is to find a DAC that plays raw (not DoP) DSD at 256+ via Linux. I've become spoiled with DSD512 upsampling.

Ifi nano DSD can play native 256. I have been using it with Daphile, but I don't know if it could compete with your present DAC in terms of sq...

Ted, what is the make and model of your router?

It's an AT&T UVerse gateway (Motorola NVG589). I have a copper gigabit switch (Netgear Prosafe GS108) for most of the house and the Diablo fiber switch for music room oriented things. The rest of the gateway is taken up with tv receiver link, wifi link, etc. Someday I may learn to bridge it to a real router.

Right now the music from the uRendu is coming from as black a background as I would wish for, so microdetails seemingly are not obscured by having to go copper.

Day two impressions. Still iFi powered into a Devialet 200:

Sound has opened up a big more, and first day upper bass congestion is gone. Stunned at how my speakers have vanished - the system is effectively gone and there is just music.

Two early day nit picks - The depth of the soundstage is not quite there yet, but I'm sure that will come. Of bigger concern, changes in sample rate in my library sometime makes playback drop out. Something the music comes back on it's own, and sometimes I've had to reboot the micro. I'm running Squeezelite for playback and will play with the settings in LMS.

What are you hearing?

You might want to try some Squeezelite settings in the microRendu web page. There is a "Rate switching delay" which is designed specifically for this issue. Unfortunately I do not know what "auto" setting uses so you will just have to arbitrarily start trying some different values and see if they make things better or worse.

In addition there is the Buffer Size setting which might also help, but I think the Rate switching delay is the one you should focus on.

BTW I use mine in Squeezelite mode all the time and have never had this issue.

John S.

You might want to try some Squeezelite settings in the microRendu web page. There is a "Rate switching delay" which is designed specifically for this issue. Unfortunately I do not know what "auto" setting uses so you will just have to arbitrarily start trying some different values and see if they make things better or worse.

In addition there is the Buffer Size setting which might also help, but I think the Rate switching delay is the one you should focus on.

BTW I use mine in Squeezelite mode all the time and have never had this issue.

Thanks John. I played with buffer size up to 5 seconds and it didn't change anything. Thanks for explaining rate switching delay. Any thoughts on a starting point other than auto?

Yep, same and same. Weird. The more I think about it, the more strange it is that the network position of the NAA would affect upsampling or throughput performance. I mean, it's just a FIFO buffer machine, right?

My guess (and it is purely a guess) is that it is some form of latency issue. Something along the lines of "HQP sends out a packet and waits for a response from the NAA", if it doesn't come back soon enough HQP times out and does something else causing a problem in the stream.

It doesn't seem like a "bandwidth" issue per say but more like something causing the protocol to not go smoothly.

The microRendu has two lights in the RJ45, an amber which is the flickering activity light and a green one that indicates gigabit mode. So if you see a green light it has connected in gigabit mode. I have successfully run it in both modes.

John S.