IGNORED

Sonore μRendu

Naturally but this class of device still requires an additional computer running a music application to serve the music...not so?

A Synology NAS is a computer, but it's all you need along with a mobile device to control things. This would allow DLNA/UPNP streaming or LMS streaming. You can even get rid of the NAS and stream Tidal via your mobile device. It's very flexible...

Jesus R

Naturally but this class of device still requires an additional computer running a music application to serve the music...not so?

Yes, something like Roon and HQPlayer needs a lot of computing power to work properly.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

A Synology NAS is a computer, but it's all you need along with a mobile device to control things. This would allow DLNA/UPNP streaming or LMS streaming. You can even get rid of the NAS and stream Tidal via your mobile device. It's very flexible...

Jesus R

Thanks for the reply...so what does the interface look like on the mobile device when using a NAS. Clunky? Easy to work with? What is the app used?

Cheers,

wdw

Thanks for the reply...so what does the interface look like on the mobile device when using a NAS. Clunky? Easy to work with? What is the app used?

Cheers,

wdw

These links should help you out:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonore-sonicorbiter-se-digital-living-network-alliance-mpd-output-mode-27265/

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonore-sonicorbiter-se-squeezelite-output-mode-27263/

Jesus R

But all of these possible apps are totally kludgy...not really designed for any ease of use. It is known that your hardware is excellent but it all fails with the kludgy software that is needed to actualize the hardware.

This is similar to HDPLAYER where the only solution is far too geeky for the unwashed.

Wdw

But all of these possible apps are totally kludgy...not really designed for any ease of use. It is known that your hardware is excellent but it all fails with the kludgy software that is needed to actualize the hardware.

This is similar to HDPLAYER where the only solution is far too geeky for the unwashed.

Wdw

I'm using Squeezelite / LMS Mode controlled controlled by iPeng on my iPad and iPhone. How can you possibly call this "kludgy"? It's fast, reliable, and I have Spotify integrated seamlessly.

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

No. You can run the music application on your server - whether it is a homemade audiophile server, department store PC, or fancy audiophile server.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Wdw

It also allows you to use JRiver/JRemote, which isn't kludgy at all.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

??? It would seem as if you have found a turnkey software/hdw solution you already like. Some of us have other needs such as my use of HQPlayer's PCM>DSD conversion. You may prefer to stay unwashed, but there is no need to piss on our parade!

Wdw

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

??? It would seem as if you have found a turnkey software/hdw solution you already like. Some of us have other needs such as my use of HQPlayer's PCM>DSD conversion. You may prefer to stay unwashed, but there is no need to piss on our parade!

;)

I my current setup I hold a laptop while sitting in my listening chair. I keep a remote viewer window open to the computer in another room that is running HQPlayer. Thus computer also has a file browser window open to my NAS. I drag and drop albums from my NAS onto HQPlayer to create a playlist.

From my laptop I can also browse, respond to emails and participate in CA. All I really need is a robot which can take directions and mix me another drink -- but then I'd never leave my chair.

I've run into a big problem with this setup, however, in that I can also read books, and design circuit boards, run LTSpice sims, browse eBay and other sites for esoteric jFets, order on mouser, digikey and Amazon ... and so I've created a massive backlog of projects to actually build with parts.

I need to create another listening system in my workshop so I can listen while I build ... I'm going to have to turn my robot off because drinks and building electronic circuits is a recipe for real disaster!

So anyways I guess I'm in the market for a microRendu for my workshop??

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

To the less computer tech inclined these products are still a black box...but I am left with the impression one still needs a computer in the loop to direct the music stream.

Always assume the desired end game is to get computers out of the music system entirely by the use of dedicated servers such as made by Aurender or Auralic. Seems ROON makes a similar demand...a computer in the chain which is, to me, a sideways step, not an evolutionary one.

How can you claim that those two devices are not computers in the audio room?

The microRendu is intended to be an endpoint. By definition that implies that a computer is needed for local streaming. As discussed Internet streaming is slightly different in its infrastructure requirements. The microRendu design reduces the physical footprint and electrical footprint of the device in the audio room and that is the end game.

I really do not see your point regarding Roon. Everyone already has a computer they can run Roon on and this makes the endpoint concept that much more feasible.

Jesus R

To the less computer tech inclined these products are still a black box...but I am left with the impression one still needs a computer in the loop to direct the music stream.

Always assume the desired end game is to get computers out of the music system entirely by the use of dedicated servers such as made by Aurender or Auralic. Seems ROON makes a similar demand...a computer in the chain which is, to me, a sideways step, not an evolutionary one.

For the less computer tech inclined: understand that there are micro controllers hence computers in *everything*

Whose desired "end game" is to "get computers out of the music system entirely"? You can but that's called analogue! LPs or tape, discrete preamp, amp & speakers. No problem.

On the digital side were are seeing more integration with CPUs rather than less as time goes on. The evolutionary step is that we are getting hardware that is specifically designed for audio.

Wdw

I have to say...you are really off base here and it's uncalled for. These third party application are produced by dedicated professionals and I stand behind them when I recommend them.

Jesus R

I have to say...you are really off base here and it's uncalled for. These third party application are produced by dedicated professionals and I stand behind them when I recommend them.

Jesus R

My apologies to all. It is I who was totally kludgy in my post. Never intended to offend or disparage.

I have assumed that the elimination of a computer server and complex system architecture in a music system was the desired end with discreet standalone servers as the true endpoint.

Best

wdw

My apologies to all. It is I who was totally kludgy in my post. Never intended to offend or disparage.

I have assumed that the elimination of a computer server and complex system architecture in a music system was the desired end with discreet standalone servers as the true endpoint.

I don't think an apology is necessary. I love the sound of HQPlayer (and it's the only software that I use) but agree the UI is not the slickest. I would like a controller app that might run on my iPhone (for example). I know there are 3rd party apps and scripts and the like none of which I've been able to get working well or at all.

I'm assuming the microRendu is an NAA here and as such wouldn't contribute to the UI.

Why, if I may ask, do you assume the desire to eliminate "complex" servers? (Complexity is subjective and depends on how deeply you look into things -- something internally very complex can be hidden behind a great UI ala the iPhone)

I do think that HQPlayer would benefit from a 3rd controller app (the other two being HQPlayer and NAA) and think that Jussi envisions this with the "embedded" option. I would allow the "controller" to run from either phone, tablet or laptop, i.e. Typically wireless

Jesus R

I entirely understand where you are coming from, and am glad that there are such hardworking and talented people who are writing this software for us.

That said, if there is frustration on the part of people who label themselves as less technical then this clearly exposes a real market opportunity for someone to write software and improve the situation. Jus' sayin' :)

Hmm ... is that Roon?

I don't think an apology is necessary. I love the sound of HQPlayer (and it's the only software that I use) but agree the UI is not the slickest. I would like a controller app that might run on my iPhone (for example). I know there are 3rd party apps and scripts and the like none of which I've been able to get working well or at all.

I'm assuming the microRendu is an NAA here and as such wouldn't contribute to the UI.

Why, if I may ask, do you assume the desire to eliminate "complex" servers? (Complexity is subjective and depends on how deeply you look into things -- something internally very complex can be hidden behind a great UI ala the iPhone)

I do think that HQPlayer would benefit from a 3rd controller app (the other two being HQPlayer and NAA) and think that Jussi envisions this with the "embedded" option. I would allow the "controller" to run from either phone, tablet or laptop, i.e. Typically wireless

I'm not sure if you know, but there is a solution. Roon has a network feature where it works in combination with HQ Player and becomes its user interface. You run Roon and HQ Player on your computer and them stream to Sonicorbiter via NAA.

Jesus R

I entirely understand where you are coming from, and am glad that there are such hardworking and talented people who are writing this software for us.

That said, if there is frustration on the part of people who label themselves as less technical then this clearly exposes a real market opportunity for someone to write software and improve the situation. Jus' sayin' :)

Hmm ... is that Roon?

Roon is certainly very simple to use with RoonReady on Sonicorbiter. All the user needs to do is access Sonicorbiter's GUI via a web link and select the RoonReady output mode. Roon then automatically finds the unit.

Here is quote from a customer: "Sitting here listening to it now. Great,great stuff. Simple easy to install...."

However, please note that the same is true of the rest of the selectable outputs (SqueezeLite, Shairport, DLNA/MPD, and NAA).

Jesus R

I have tried all output modes with my sms-100 that uses the same sonicorbiter software but squeezelite and I can confirm that it is very easy to use.

I love this software so much that I am committed to upgrade to whatever new Hardware that features sonicorbiter.

I have found the best in using Roon great UI and HQPlayer to take care of sound quality. Very simple.

« Information is not knowledge / Knowledge is not wisdom / Wisdom is not truth / Truth is not beauty / Beauty is not love / Love is not music / MUSIC IS THE BEST. » FZ

Best

wdw

Not sure where you are coming from? You use an Aries, which itself is a computer. Serving up the data stream via Ethernet offers an advantage to server at the endpoint (even a top level dedicated to audio server like Antipodes, etc.), this is why Sonore has moved away from building servers, and towards ethernet based audio.

Ultimately, the most sophisticated dedicated servers can equal the performance of Ethernet streaming, but typically at greater expense (consider the price of the top model from Aurender or Antipodes with the best possible power supplies), even the premium Streamer from Sonore (the Signature Rendu) is more affordable. And Ethernet streaming allows for no moving parts (hard drives) at the audio system even for the largest music libraries.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

• 4 weeks later...

Best

wdw

There is a certain level of complexity inherent in digital audio regardless of implementation. Even a self contained digital music appliance like the Sony HAP-Z1ES requires a computer to load music and an Internet connection to pull metadata from Gracenote. One could make a similar comparison of complexity for the various physical media storage formats and playback mechanisms (e.g. CD, MiniDisc, Vinyl, Reel-to-Reel, Cassettes, 8track, etc.) that have come (and many gone) over the years.

In my opinion, the important evolution that is occurring right now with regards to digital audio is software like Roon that overlays and abstracts the user from what may or may not be a complex underlying hardware and network architecture. Or for that matter, multiple differing architectures depending upon the requirements / limitations of each particular listening environment. Roon also does the same for the multitude of music file formats in my collection (e.g. MP3, AAC, FLAC, ALAC, WAV, AIFF, DSD64 and DSD128) and hopefully they can do the same for additional streaming services in the future as well.

My real world example is that in my home office, I have Roon Server running on a Mac Mini with HQ Player, feeding DSD to my DAC via USB (I'll insert a Micro Rendu when it becomes available for improved SQ vs. my un-modded Mac Mini), while in our kitchen, I have a Wifi connected Airport Express attached to a "boombox" through its aux port.

These are two very different underlying architectures, one optimized for critical listening and the other using a spare AE and a utilitarian boombox for background music, both utilizing a single streamer and music library that is all driven from the same Roon UI on my Tablet or Computer. Better? Yes. Best? Not yet, but the trajectory is very positive.

IMO the electrical interference and audio data timing complexities of having hard drive source in an integrated media server will never get the development funding of a more consumer friendly streaming solution where media stored on a central server is accessible by all simultaneously in a household and timing issues have a broader base of customers to defray development expense.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I may have missed it earlier in this thread but when is it expected for this device to be available for sale?

Thanks

Please see this post on the main, official thread about the microRendu:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonore-microrendu-ethernet-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-output-27389/index21.html#post519278