humble unbiased opinion that the Yggy+

Regen(hard adapter)->pyst schiit usb->

edo/sbt=irreproachable primo dac sound

as independently verified by a team of

discredited discheveled dismissed JPL

scientists.

actually.....my first few extended listening

sessions revealed punchier bass and less

cymbal sibalance but also less musicality.

Then snap. Things got riveting. Interesting

that post Regen my comfortable listening

level is +7-10 decibles. Great product.

Hi All

I put off posting this reply to the thread for a while as I was slowly building up the pieces to what I hope will be my final accessory purchase for my MSB Analogue DAC (fat chance).

I initially purchased the Uptone Audio Regen several months ago but was ill for a while and couldn't really do a easy comparison with the Regen in place and the removed. When the illness passed, I and an audiophile friend, on two separate occasions with different friends. Sat down for pleasant evenings of swapping the Regen in and out. The Regen had been in the system for a while so was likely broken in.

On both occasions, we believe the Regen added clarity to the music and made the system sound more lifelike (detail, depth, and soundstage all improved). On both occasions this was noticed within minutes (sometimes seconds) after a swap. I was quite happy with the Regen in place...

But then I read some of the comments coming out of the WBF and the controversy about the Regen. I'm pretty anal, so I thought I'd try to see what was out there which might attempt to improve the Regen (why? I don't know why as it already sounded better than without the Regen). But I was focussing on the power supply criticisms raised, stupid yes, but pretty much normal for me:)

I came across a mention of the sBooster company in the forum (I think it's a Dutch company) that produces a product called the sBooster Ultra for the Regen that works as an active filter for the MeanWell SMPS which ships with the Regen to improve the quality of the DC reaching the Regen. Oh and they included a USB power leg (Vbus) isolator as there is no need for power travelling along the USB cable as the Regen provides the power.

So I plugged in the sBooster Ultra and swapped it in and out a few times and was again pleased with the effect.

More detail and air. So this is the effect of cleaner DC I thought. I kept it in for a few days, got used to the sound then removed it, just to confirm I was heading something real. It's staying in.

Almost as an afterthought I plugged my USB cable (Lightspeed Harmonic, red colour single plug on each end) into the Vbus isolator (at the Macbook end) and listened again and was amazed at the difference just cutting off the power from travelling down the USB cable made.

This difference was more significant than the addition of the sBooster Ultra filter (and it was thrown in as a freebie).

I won't bore you with the usual comments about how startling real the music sounded, but it's true, it does sound far more real now.

The combination of Regen and the two sBooster products made a phenomenal improvement to an already terrific sounding digital front end.

I'm a little surprised how big a difference cutting off USB power made, but very happy with the final result.

Again this is in my system, using my ears. I have no interest in either Uptone or sBooster except as a satisfied customer.

Barry

I'm a little surprised how big a difference cutting off USB power made, but very happy with the final result.

same here after replacing a Starlight 7 with an Elijah Audio Isolate Cu

only difference is... I'm *very* surprised :P

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall IV

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Very interesting, Barry. Have you tried the JitterBug? It aims to reduce both data and power associated noise. But at least on the power side of the equation, it sounds like Vbus isolator would be even better. I wonder if the JitterBug and Vbus isolator could be used in serial, and what the effect would be?

Peter

I used the V-bus isolator on my Mac to Auralic Vega cable to substantial effect. I then added the Regen (with a V-bus isolator plugged into the solid connector) for a further improvement. Blocking the USB voltage for those DACs that allow this seems to work well

Rega RP8 w/ Lyra Titan, MBP - A+2 - Auralic Vega - Halcro DM10 - 2 x MBL 9008A monos - B&W 800Di2. 4KVA BOT, Franke 1500 Power Bank + Shunyata V-Ray and Anaconda mains - Audience Au24 ic's.

Hi Peter

I did have a jitterbug in the unused USB port for all of the above tests. On its own its effects were more subtle...

I didn't want to try putting the two adapters in serial, as it would be hard to put all that "stuff" onto the USB port I'm using due to the Macbook's placement. Also the cable droops down alarmingly.

Regards

Barry

For my use with the REGEN, I went directly to an Array Solutions W3NQN AC Line Filter AC-7A.

It's not so much about cleaning up the incoming AC line - it's about preventing the nasties produced by components and wall-wart power supplies from radiating back out into the AC system.

I confess to not listening to the REGEN without it.

I have used these units in all digital devices (computers and DACs) for several years, always with great results. And at $106.00, it's a serious bargain for the results it gives.

NQN AC Filters

Best,

Jim

Jim,

I'm surprised more people haven't noticed your post on the Array Solutions NQN AC Filter. I got my cables all the way over here a few weeks ago and I plan on trying one of them with the Meanwell SMPS this weekend. I already have a HDPlex Linear in place but would like to see what the Regen sounds like with the NQN AC Line Filter cable.

Regards.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Hello

After 50 hours with Regen on my system ( Macknook Air + Ayre QB -9 DSD + Cardas Clear) I can say that the result is satisfactory. The music is more consistent , more fluent , more emotion ... The bass is more articulate and precise, more rhythmic , maybe it's what I've noticed. I have also noticed an increase in depth. The power supply is the original that goes with the regen .

Also I have to say that I tried to add a Jitterbug Cardas Clear ( I've done tests with and without the Jitterbug ) and I decided to stay, he has promoted all the virtues that contributes Regen .

I still experimenting with a new Power Supply but which can not choose .

... Almost as an afterthought I plugged my USB cable (Lightspeed Harmonic, red colour single plug on each end) into the Vbus isolator (at the Macbook end) and listened again and was amazed at the difference just cutting off the power from travelling down the USB cable made.

This difference was more significant than the addition of the sBooster Ultra filter (and it was thrown in as a freebie)....

I'm a little surprised how big a difference cutting off USB power made, but very happy with the final result...

Barry,

Interesting ! I recently restored a taped off +5volt connection to my USB cable, in front of my Regens. I hadn't isolated its effect before, and didn't think of listening for it this time. But, I did hear a improvement in the SQ, along 'Regen effect' lines afterward. I had put that slight increase down to additional burn in of a new LPSU. But its been running for 3 weeks, so I now think that the latest change is due to isolating the Vcc wire, as you, and others, have heard. I was fortunate that replaced the isolating tape was the only real change I made at that time (not that usual a practice here :( ).

What is also interesting, is that the previous discussions, I recall from these threads, about doing your own DIY isolation (versus buying specific cables), is that it was a generally good idea, not about much in the way of heard differences. Or, maybe I just didn't pay much attention then :)

Using two Curious - one (1.2M) from MBP to Regen at dac, one (special short cable for Regen) from Regen to dac.

I just ordered the 20cm cable to replace the REGEN hard adaptor into my LHL Xfi. Once I get some listening experience with it, I am considering buying another and having Mac Mini (vertical orientation) -> 20cm Curious -> REGEN -> 20cm Curious -> Xfi. The upstream cable is currently a LHL 2G (split) cable or a Mapleshade Clearlink Plus (mood dependent). Since the REGEN is LPS powered, it seems like there is no need for the split cable other than separation of the data from the power link. This appears to be dealt with in the Curious cable as well.

This short-path linkage is something I have considered for a while and these short cables from Rob at Curious look promising for this. It was good to hear the positive reviews here, and I will see how it works in my system, then report back.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

Dave

Many members have reported hearing worth while improvements when isolating the +5V Vbus wire at the PC end if your DAC doesn't need to see the incoming +5V. I chop off the end of my USB cables at the PC end and solder on a new USB-A connector without the red wire connected, and then slip some heatshrink tubing over the plug.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Dave

Many members have reported hearing worth while improvements when isolating the +5V Vbus wire at the PC end if your DAC doesn't need to see the incoming +5V. I chop off the end of my USB cables at the PC end and solder on a new USB-A connector without the red wire connected, and then slip some heatshrink tubing over the plug.

Alex

It's certainly easy enough to test if you have a cheap USB printer cable lying around. Listen through it for an hour, then carefully make a 1" slice in the jacket near the A-connector with a razor blade, clip the red wire, and tape it back up with electrical tape. Listen to the same tracks again, and see if you can hear a difference.

It's certainly easy enough to test if you have a cheap USB printer cable lying around. Listen through it for an hour, then carefully make a 1" slice in the jacket near the A-connector with a razor blade, clip the red wire, and tape it back up with electrical tape. Listen to the same tracks again, and see if you can hear a difference.

Assuming the DAC still works. (grin) Just make sure the screening is still intact, as any disconnecting of the screening to help overcome earth loops is best done at the DAC end.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Barry,

Interesting ! I recently restored a taped off +5volt connection to my USB cable, in front of my Regens. I hadn't isolated its effect before, and didn't think of listening for it this time. But, I did hear a improvement in the SQ, along 'Regen effect' lines afterward. I had put that slight increase down to additional burn in of a new LPSU. But its been running for 3 weeks, so I now think that the latest change is due to isolating the Vcc wire, as you, and others, have heard. I was fortunate that replaced the isolating tape was the only real change I made at that time (not that usual a practice here :( ).

What is also interesting, is that the previous discussions, I recall from these threads, about doing your own DIY isolation (versus buying specific cables), is that it was a generally good idea, not about much in the way of heard differences. Or, maybe I just didn't pay much attention then :)

If the Regen is providing power to my DAC (which does requires external power) does this mean any USB cable upstream of the Regen no longer needs to carry power? If true (which is what I'm seeing) this means the noisy power from the Macbook doesn't need to enter the Regen at all.

Preventing the power from entering the Regen appears to be a good thing and further the Regen lets me use a Vbus isolator at the Macbook port (which I couldn't use without the Regen).

Regards

Barry

If the Regen is providing power to my DAC (which does requires external power) does this mean any USB cable upstream of the Regen no longer needs to carry power? If true (which is what I'm seeing) this means the noisy power from the Macbook doesn't need to enter the Regen at all.

Preventing the power from entering the Regen appears to be a good thing and further the Regen lets me use a Vbus isolator at the Macbook port (which I couldn't use without the Regen).

Hi Barry:

The REGEN ignores any incoming voltage on USB pin-1--it is not connected to ANYTHING on the board. So any audible benefit of having a USB cable with no 5V coming down its length is NOT from keeping 5V out of the REGEN. Rather it is that you are reducing any capacitive coupling of the voltage to the data pair along the length of the wire.

So yes, you can use an Sbooster VBUS isolator (or just tape over pin-1 in the 'A' plug at the computer end) and thus have a data-only cable.

Dave

Alex

Alex,

My DAC does require +5 volts. I taped off the USB cable at the PC end, but the Regen(s) happily supply it to keep the DAC happy and functioning. I forgot about it, until I pulled the Regen out for some reason and... silence... Off came the tape from the Vcc connector trace, and the DAC was happy again, and I had a clear lesson I shouldn't forget again :)

That is why the tape was off and needed to be re-applied some time after I got the Regen cascade put together. I don't need to chop up any nice cables, or spend for another piece of junk, because a 1/2" lenght of 1/16" Chart tape is a lot easier, more flexible, and cheaper then DIY mods or expensive Audiophile cables :)

Barry,

Right, no need for power in the cable upstream from the Regen, since it isn't connected and wholly replaced by the Regen. As well explained by the other Alex :)

One could think of it as an unnecessary electrostatic field around the USB cable, maybe a little antenna ? Whatever... At least we know how to shut it off and gain a little bit more clarity :)

The combination of Regen and the two sBooster products made a phenomenal improvement to an already terrific sounding digital front end.

Hi Barry, thanks a lot for your listening impression with REGEN, VBus Isolator and SBooster Ultra. Your results concurr with mine as I reported here several weeks ago. These add-ons - even with international shipping costs - under €100/$100, are worth every penny! :)

And like you: I"m not affiliated to the SBooster company.

Audio

Auralic Aries Mini > SBooster Vbus Isolator > Clicktronic USB 2.0 cable 0.5m > UpTone Audio REGEN (amber) > Curious USB REGEN link > Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > inakustik Reference NF-102 (RCA) > PrimaLuna Prologue Premium Integrated Amplifier (EL34 tubes) > AH! DLS Direkt KB10 Speaker Cable > Sonus Faber Liuto Tower

~ and ~

Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > Belkin male 3.5-3.5 stereo jack iPod cable (with 6.3 adapter) > Sennheiser RS180

Powerline

Dedicated power group > Oehlbach Powercord OFC 1.5mm2 Schuko-C13 > Furman AC-210A E Power Conditioner > Powerline 1 to PrimaLuna, Powerline 2 to Brennenstuhl Premium Powersocket

UpTone Audio REGEN is powered by Meanwell SMPS with SBooster Ultra for REGEN

Auralic Aries Mini is powered by SBooster BOTW P&P ECO 15/16V with SBooster Ultra 15V

That is why the tape was off and needed to be re-applied some time after I got the Regen cascade put together. I don't need to chop up any nice cables, or spend for another piece of junk, because a 1/2" lenght of 1/16" Chart tape is a lot easier, more flexible, and cheaper then DIY mods or expensive Audiophile cables

Dave

When the Regen is providing the needed +5V to the DAC, do we REALLY need to spend such obscene amounts on USB cables when the noisy +5V SMPS line is removed from the equation ? The major advantage of the expensive USB cables is the markedly improved electrical separation between Data and power leads.

Regards

Alex

Hi Barry:

The REGEN ignores any incoming voltage on USB pin-1--it is not connected to ANYTHING on the board. So any audible benefit of having a USB cable with no 5V coming down its length is NOT from keeping 5V out of the REGEN. Rather it is that you are reducing any capacitive coupling of the voltage to the data pair along the length of the wire.

So yes, you can use an Sbooster VBUS isolator (or just tape over pin-1 in the 'A' plug at the computer end) and thus have a data-only cable.

Yes, but it is rather surprising (to me) that turning off power at the computer, which my SOtM card thoughtfully provides a switch to do, would have such a beneficial effect on clarity. Yet it does.

But many thanks to Barry et al. for calling attention to this benefit, which inspired me to turn the damn switch off.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

Dave

When the Regen is providing the needed +5V to the DAC, do we REALLY need to spend such obscene amounts on USB cables when the noisy +5V SMPS line is removed from the equation ? The major advantage of the expensive USB cables is the markedly improved electrical separation between Data and power leads.

Regards

Alex

Darn, too late, already spent an obscene amount on a Lightspeed Harmonic cable about a year ago (good idea at the time). But I will listen again to the Kingrex (The Kingrex was very nice) and the Nordost cable I've got in my cable hidey hole (graveyard). Now that the separation of signal and power the Lightspeed Harmonic cable provides is not required I may find one of the contenders is now champ.

To all, thanks for the really useful input (sic).

Regards

Barry

Assuming the DAC still works. (grin) Just make sure the screening is still intact, as any disconnecting of the screening to help overcome earth loops is best done at the DAC end.

Well, it worked on mine. I just opened it up enough to expose the red wire. My DAC has no connection to 5v power at the USB input, so the result of the test was that it didn't seem to make any difference one way or the other.

I did try a Elijah Audio Isolate Cu cable at one point, and I did not care for it at all. Hopefully, the person that bought it from me had better luck with it.

major[/b] advantage of the expensive USB cables is the markedly improved electrical separation between Data and power leads.

Alex,

Well, it is one advantage. Another we know is proper impedance. There must be more factors too, to help explain the variation in USB cable SQ... To my way of thinking. But what those things are ? I have no idea... I thought I had a good handle on what made a good interconnect, but USB cable configs and materials are a mystery to me, and unlikely to seep out of proprietary hands.

Hi Barry:

So you can still get coupling over the length of the wire even if the 5v line is disengaged on the receiving end?

Have to agree with disconnecting pin 1 on computer end, works wonders with Zodiac DAC. I can't believe it's taken me so long to try the simple tweak, where your DAC doesn't need the 5v power line.

Improvement is noticing more background detail and note interplay. It is akin to looking up at the stars at night, but after the 20 mins or so it takes for your eyes to adjust to darkness levels - all of a sudden you see more stars - wow!

ER / Geisman OXCO / Grimm MU1  / Dutch & Dutch 8C / Townshend Seismic Isolation

HP - SMSL Sanskrit 10th A’ , Woo Audio WA5 LE, Hifiman HEK v2