IGNORED

UpTone Audio USB Regen Listening Impressions

Have to agree with disconnecting pin 1 on computer end, works wonders with Zodiac DAC. I can't believe it's taken me so long to try the simple tweak, where your DAC doesn't need the 5v power line.

Improvement is noticing more background detail and note interplay. It is akin to looking up at the stars at night, but after the 20 mins or so it takes for your eyes to adjust to darkness levels - all of a sudden you see more stars - wow!

Can you specify which pin and how exactly you do it?

Can you specify which pin and how exactly you do it?

As you look directly head on to usb plug A, which goes into the computer USB port. With the gold pins facing up, pin 1 is far right. I cut with a modelling knife a 2-3 MM.wide strip of electrical tape, which is carefully placed over just pin 1, I used fine tweezers, to carefully place the tape on the pin 1 connector.

USB pinout diagram @ pinouts.ru

ER / Geisman OXCO / Grimm MU1  / Dutch & Dutch 8C / Townshend Seismic Isolation

HP - SMSL Sanskrit 10th A’ , Woo Audio WA5 LE, Hifiman HEK v2

My main music storage is on internal SSD , with both the OS and Music SSDs powered by separate internal low noise +12V to +5V regulators. I used to get superior results over files stored on internal HDD, when ripping directly to USB memory powered by an external Low noise +5V Linear supply and modified USB cable. Using the Regen as described takes me very close indeed to the quality of the files saved to SSD, which then enables me to plug the Corsair Voyager via the Regen into my Oppo 103 in the listening room, and then Coax SPDIF Out to a better DIY DAC. The difference with the rips made using the Regen in line to the Corsair, is very obvious through the main system, when compared with previous existing rips in a different folder on the same Corsair Voyager.

Hi Alex,

Well, based on just one CD, I could hear a slight difference between Regen/USB rips vs. FW. The Regen'd rip had slightly less of the digital "edge" when compared directly to the same FW track, slightly more ease, and a perceived lower noise floor. All very small differences, but noticeable. Both tracks played from SD card.

Also, the SD card as a source had a bit less glare than music served off the network USB-attached HD, via Ethernet.

That said, my CD transport is still my standard for digital sources, feeding my DAC via AES. However, the differences are becoming fewer and slighter, mostly in additional refinement in about every parameter except convenience!

After ripping using a Regen, I have to change the physical setup every time I rip... So much for the gains in convenience!

The reality is that I very much enjoy my computer audio setup as much as I do the transport, and use physical digital media less and less now. A 2+ certainly has helped me in this direction!

Thanks again for the tip. Who knows, maybe changing to LPS will level the playing field between computer audio and my Bel Canto stack?

Late 2012 Mac Mini > Audirvana+3 > iFi Zen Stream > Heimdall 2 USB >  iFi iDSD Micro BL > Pass Labs INT-30A > DeVore The Nines! + REL Strata III

Well-Tempered Amadeus Benz ACE SL > Pass Labs XOno

"Water is the most critical resource issue of our lifetime and our children's lifetime. The health of our waters is the principal measure of how we live on the land." - Luna Leopold

Hi Watercourse

Thanks for the report.

After you improve the PSU for your Regen, and perhaps further improve your rips by way of improved power to the CD/DVD writer, there is a very good chance that your PC route will then outperform your transport.

The only transport that I have heard that comes close to a decent rip is the Perfect Wave Transport, and just like a PC, it plays the files from System Memory, but with no non essential additional processes running.

Kind Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I've been listening all morning to my system - the Regen being fed by the Array Solutions AC Line Filter cable instead of my HDPlex LPS. Surprised at the sound quality. Not much of a drop off if any. Very impressed with this cable filter so far!

A pretty good option to power the Regen.

Surprised that more folks haven't tried out this option.

For $107 it's a reasonable alternate to an LPS.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

I've been listening all morning to my system - the Regen being fed by the Array Solutions AC Line Filter cable instead of my HDPlex LPS. Surprised at the sound quality. Not much of a drop off if any. Very impressed with this cable filter so far!

A pretty good option to power the Regen.

Surprised that more folks haven't tried out this option.

For $107 it's a reasonable alternate to an LPS.

How exactly does that work? The Regen uses DC current and your AC Line Filter doesn't provide that. Please explain,,,,

How exactly does that work? The Regen uses DC current and your AC Line Filter doesn't provide that. Please explain,,,,

Plugs into the Meanwell. The Array Cable is supplied with female IEC input connector which receives the power cord. A male IEC output connector is plugged into the Meanwell.

AC-7B_IEC_SMALL.jpg

Mains Power Cord > AC Filter > Meanwell SMPS > Regen

(pic above is short "pigtail" version)

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Plugs into the Meanwell. The Array Cable comes with female IEC input connector and male IEC output connector.

Mains Power Cord > AC Filter > Meanwell SMPS > Regen

Ohh, so you're saying this Array Cable AC filter when used with the stock MeanWell SMPS outperforms the HDPlex LPS. Now there's an eyeopener for someone whose just getting ready to go to bed.

Thanks, that'll give me something to dream about now and think about in the morning.

Ohh, so you're saying this Array Cable AC filter when used with the stock MeanWell SMPS outperforms the HDPlex LPS. Now there's an eyeopener for someone whose just getting ready to go to bed.

Thanks, that'll give me something to dream about now and think about in the morning.

Too early to say "outperform" but it sounds pretty good.

Extended listening is needed to make any conclusions but for $106 it's a bargain.

I wrote a little summary of my trials with the REGEN (amber versions, one bright and one dimmer light), first for myself to remember what I did, eared and decided, and finally thought I might share it.

Before starting my journey with the REGEN, I was using my iFi micro iDSD with a iFi iUSB both with all stock supplies (cables and PS).

When the REGEN came in, it took the place of the iUSB with the stock MeanWell PS. The first impression wasn’t the wow effect I was prepared to ear. Harshness was the word that came in mind. I replaced the MenWell with the PS of the iUSB even if it’s providing 9V and that my DAC is drawing its current from the USB bus (REGEN was running warm, not hot). This was an immediate improvement and yes a true wow effect. Everything was quieter, the soundstage was larger and bass deeper. I kept the iFi USB stock cables, the provided REGEN hard adapter or cable were degrading the quality (duller sound).

At that time it became clear on the forum that the REGEN is very prone to the quality of the power supply. I ordered the cheap Breeze Audio R-Core linear PS. Replacing the iUSB power supply with the Breeze Audio was a change I wasn’t prepare to believe: it doubled almost the gain of the REGEN. The soundstage was scalpel cut precise and bass had real (deeper) and controlled body. I bought as well the new iFi iPower, the result is not as good as with the Breeze Audio but in subtle areas and careful listening only. I was running the Breeze Audio at 9V at the beginning but did reduce it to finally 7.5V (7V gives me the impression to have a little bit less bottom end presence but it’s probably subjective).

Then came the USB cable discussions. I first did some tests with cheap stock USB cables I had at home and couldn’t believe how much difference that made. I ordered 2 short SUPRA USB 2.0 cables. To my great surprised none did improve but degraded the sound quality. I tried one at the time and both together, nothing helped the iFi stock cables were sounding better. I wanted to do one more trial and ordered the AudioQuest DragonTail. This time it did it, an immediately noticeable step into quality. Greater soundstage, laser cut instruments placement and very well defined medium/low end. The DragonTail is based on the Carbon line of AudioQuest, based on its good results I tested an AudioQuest USB Carbon cable between the computer and the REGEN, but that didn’t help and the stock iFi stayed in.

Time to order a second REGEN as it is unanimously admitted that two is better than one (or?). It found its place before the existing REGEN connected to its brother with the hard adapter. Both are fed with an Y-cable from the same Breeze Audio. Again (how is it possible?) an improvement: not wider soundstage but better isolated instruments and controlled bottom end.

As curiosity and because I like experimenting (I’m an engineer…) I ordered an « Ultra-low Noise <40μV Adjustable Voltage Regulator Module, Based on LT1963 » on eBay. The board of the Breeze Audio is based on a LT317 regulator that is not typically an audio grade component. I exchanged the board and started listening. Strange feeling, something changed but not for the better, I listened a lot of well known tracks and no, none was sounding better, more pleasing. In one word the sound was flat. Reverting to the original board was an immediate recognition of the previous well-known and appreciated sound. Another big learning for me: how much such an element can influence the end result, even if it is not the final stage as the REGEN is regulating the final voltage for the DAC. For sure the upcoming WhatEverItIs from Uptone Audio will have an influence!

AudioQuest JitterBug, yes I had to test that as well… I have 2 JB and tried them in all possible combinations but didn’t found any that improved the sound quality. Didn’t work for me.

Last thing I did recently is covering the USB +5V pin at computer side, the result I recognize is an overall quieter picture.

My curiosity will certainly let me know soon what else I should try! But at the end it’s all about music and emotions, and yes I’m totally enjoying every single minute listening.

IsoTek evo3 Sirius⎪Late 2009 27" iMac 20GB w/SSD, 10.10.x ➤Audirvana Plus 3.0.x (Exclusive Direct Integer Mode 1, NOS) & Qobuz HiFi Sublime+ ➤Curious Cables ➤UpTone Audio ISO REGEN (UpTone Audio UltraCap LPS-1 (Breeze Audio R-Core Linear PSU)) ➤UpTone Audio USPCB ➤iFi micro iDAC2 running v5.2a (Bit-Perfect) serving:

➤Nobsound SE OTL headphone amp on Herbie's Soft Tenderfoot (selected tubes with Herbie's UltraSonic Rx) with IsoTek evo3 Premier power cable⎪Audez'e LCD-2 Rev. 2 on Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 Premium cable

➤Audioengine A5+ with AudioQuest Power NRG-1 cable

➤iFi micro iTube2 ➤Denon AVR-A100 100th Anniversary Edition with IsoTek evo3 Premier power cable on IsoTek evo3 Aquarius⎪B&W 804 D3 bi-amped on Inakustik cables

Dyson, how exactly are you using the Dragontail? It's Type A female to Type A male, so I'm not sure where it is in your chain.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

As you look directly head on to usb plug A, which goes into the computer USB port. With the gold pins facing up, pin 1 is far right. I cut with a modelling knife a 2-3 MM.wide strip of electrical tape, which is carefully placed over just pin 1, I used fine tweezers, to carefully place the tape on the pin 1 connector.

I tried this, but when I insert the plug into a USB port the tape bunches up, it won't stay stuck on flat. How do you overcome this?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

I tried this, but when I insert the plug into a USB port the tape bunches up, it won't stay stuck on flat. How do you overcome this?

I don't use tape for exactly that reason. I take a business card (those are slightly thick and stiff) and cut about a 3mm wide strip off one end (so the strip length is the height of a normal name card, about 1.5 inches).

Then I insert it to cover pin-1, fold the excess back over the USB plug and hold it in place with my fingers on the grip of the cable's plug (if you get it well-aligned over pin-1 you might even be able to put a strip of Scotch tape on the card strip at the finger-hold spot).

Make sure the strip is straight over pin 1 when you go to insert the plug into your computer's USB jack. It will be a tighter fit than usual, but I view that as a good thing.

Dyson, how exactly are you using the Dragontail? It's Type A female to Type A male, so I'm not sure where it is in your chain.

between the REGEN and the iFi micro iDSD

IsoTek evo3 Sirius⎪Late 2009 27" iMac 20GB w/SSD, 10.10.x ➤Audirvana Plus 3.0.x (Exclusive Direct Integer Mode 1, NOS) & Qobuz HiFi Sublime+ ➤Curious Cables ➤UpTone Audio ISO REGEN (UpTone Audio UltraCap LPS-1 (Breeze Audio R-Core Linear PSU)) ➤UpTone Audio USPCB ➤iFi micro iDAC2 running v5.2a (Bit-Perfect) serving:

➤Nobsound SE OTL headphone amp on Herbie's Soft Tenderfoot (selected tubes with Herbie's UltraSonic Rx) with IsoTek evo3 Premier power cable⎪Audez'e LCD-2 Rev. 2 on Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 Premium cable

➤Audioengine A5+ with AudioQuest Power NRG-1 cable

➤iFi micro iTube2 ➤Denon AVR-A100 100th Anniversary Edition with IsoTek evo3 Premier power cable on IsoTek evo3 Aquarius⎪B&W 804 D3 bi-amped on Inakustik cables

...when I insert the plug into a USB port the tape bunches up, it won't stay stuck on flat. How do you overcome this?

I use a strip of chart tape that is long enough to cover the length of the USB A pin 1 contact strip, plus 1/8" - 1/4" extra, to wrap down around the front edge. That will anchor it and prevent bunching and sliding. Makes a nice little handle too, if you need to remove it easily later.

Making your own tape strips by cutting them out of electrical or plastic tape is a good idea too, if you don't have access to chart tape. But stay away from regular 'Scotch' or 'transparent' tape, that stuff is too problematic for this application.

between the REGEN and the iFi micro iDSD

OK thanks, Dyson. I had a closer look at that DAC and I see that it has a USB Type A jack. Most DACs have USB Type B. That's why I couldn't figure out how you were using the Dragontail.

Daudio that's exactly what I did with electrical tape and it still bunched up. I'll try Alex's business card trick. Thank you both.

Yo can buy the SBooster V-bus isolator to do the same thing somewhat more elegantly. It's about 15 dollars plus shipping. I use two of them, one at the Mac, and the other at the output of the Regen

Rega RP8 w/ Lyra Titan, MBP - A+2 - Auralic Vega - Halcro DM10 - 2 x MBL 9008A monos - B&W 800Di2. 4KVA BOT, Franke 1500 Power Bank + Shunyata V-Ray and Anaconda mains - Audience Au24 ic's.

Its been almost a week with the Regen

feeding my Yggdrasil dac. I removed the

Regen today and the difference was

undeniable. With Regen bass and cymbals

gain realistic tone and extension.

Nothing subtle. Obvious improvments.

The Regen is back for good. I wonder

about guys who are preoccupied with

measurements. Just saying.............

Well after almost a week of constant play it's clear as day the benefits gained with the Regen. Clarity is the big winner here. Across the spectrum. I was a bit sceptical before but I'm convinced now. I spend my working day Mixing music across many genres. I played a bunch of tracks from my last project 24/96 yesterday on my listening rig that has the Regen and I'm hearing all the elements I hear on my studio setup. Fantastic work UpTone.

Photonblur and Gonzbull (and everyone else here for that matter): Thank you both for your kind words. I don't often remove the REGEN from system (frankly I've been too busy to listen much lately at all), so I forget what a big change it is. Nice to be reminded, especially amidst the barrage of defacement and belittlement that continues to go on over at that other forum (which I am trying hard to ignore as John and I focus on cool new projects--both well under way and those still in the conceptual stages).

Best to you,

--Alex C.

You can also try model tape, used for masking off areas for paintwork....it is much thinner than electrical tape, very good adhesion and does not bunch up when you plug in

ER / Geisman OXCO / Grimm MU1  / Dutch & Dutch 8C / Townshend Seismic Isolation

HP - SMSL Sanskrit 10th A’ , Woo Audio WA5 LE, Hifiman HEK v2

Evo1668, Superdad, Colin L and Daudio ... thanks for all your suggestions. Evo1668, I did find a nearby RC hobby shop that sells Tamiya tape that's used for painting models (like model cars, not the live kind). It's super thin and may work really well.

Colin L, the SBooster website says US customers can only order from US resellers. Unfortunately, their US resellers mark up the products significantly. For example, their NY reseller wants $100 US for the Sbooster Ultra for Uptone REGEN which sells for 72,50 euros.