IGNORED

UpTone Audio USB Regen Listening Impressions

From my perspective that was my first snarky post. Although it is never justified, it came from your disparaging comments on the durability of something you assume to be poorly constructed because of its country of origin. If you really wanted to cease the discussion, you would quit with the parting shots on every post.

If you would like, I'll send you a Breeze Audio PS to try gratis in so that you can compare the AC 7 to a Breeze Audio. Heck, I'd even purchase an AC 7 to send along- I likely could use one in my shop. This is a listening impressions thread, and from what I have heard here, there is little likely hood you would prefer a power line filter to a significantly better power supply on the front end of your Regen. Alex C may have chosen the Mean Well as better sounding, but from what I have heard(listened), the Regen is more power sensitive than was initially suggested. Alex also stated that the Mean Well was the less poor of the choices of SMPSs, not that it was particularly great. I am sure that the Uptone PS would better still, but it seems overkill at 10x the price when there is another option by them in the wind. The Breeze Audio PS would be an upgrade now, and work in conjunction with the new whatchamacallit when it is introduced and readily available in quantities that meet the likely demand.

4est:

Per Alex C's request above, I've ceased this discussion. Your continued snarky comments are uncalled for and simply throw light on the kind of person you really are.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

I can't see anything wrong with continuing this discussion as long as it is kept civil. We may all even learn something!

I sympathise with Alex C's frustration here, as I am a strong supporter of this little device,BUT this isn't in Alex's forum area, and there should be more freedom of discussion in this general area of the forum. The Breeze Audio PS does have quite a bit going for it, with it's sturdy construction, and the use of a quality R-core transformer, but it still appears to use a simple adjustable LM317T based voltage regulator. It should still handily outperform any generic SMPS plugpack though in every respect.

Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I can't see anything wrong with continuing this discussion as long as it is kept civil. We may all even learn something!

Alex,

Fine, then how about you start another thread about alternative power supplies for the Regen, so this thread can stay on track on the subject of "Listening Impressions". Shouldn't be too hard on your old bones, now should it :)

I would very much appreciate it, since I have been reading this thread carefully since it started, to see the similarities and differences in folks observations and descriptions of the Regen affect on their systems sound quality.

I am also very interested in PSU alternatives and experiments for the Regen, BUT NOT IN THIS THREAD.

Thank you for your cooperation :)

this isn't in Alex's forum area

That must be a oversight, since it clearly belongs there. I haven't seen any explanation for why this (2nd largest) Regen thread is NOT in the UpTone Audio(sponsored) forum ????

Alex C ??

Alex,

Fine, then how about you start another thread about alternative power supplies for the Regen, so this thread can stay on track on the subject of "Listening Impressions". Shouldn't be too hard on your old bones, now should it :)

I would very much appreciate it, since I have been reading this thread carefully since it started, to see the similarities and differences in folks observations and descriptions of the Regen affect on their systems sound quality.

I am also very interested in PSU alternatives and experiments for the Regen, BUT NOT IN THIS THREAD.

Thank you for your cooperation :)

That must be a oversight, since it clearly belongs there. I haven't seen any explanation for why this (2nd largest) Regen thread is NOT in the UpTone Audio(sponsored) forum ????

Alex C ??

Dave

I would again politely remind you that you aren't a Moderator.Very few threads stay completely on topic all of the time either. That does NOT mean that it is necessarily a bad thing to deviate occasionally, as long as the discussion remains civil. If the slightly off topic discussions highlights the need for a new thread, then that's a different matter. If all threads stuck completely to the title of the thread, you would find contributions from different members dramatically reducing. That's not good for the long term viability of any forum.

Lumping ALL Regen discussions into Alex C's area of the forum is not a good idea as it may lead to CENSORSHIP, although Alex C is usually very tolerant in that respect. This censorship problem can be clearly seen in many other Manufacturer's Forums. Without the facility for robust discussions, with the manufacturer deciding what is acceptable or not, these discussions as often as not end up in another Forum such as What's Best, where the prevailing atmosphere may be far more hostile to the manufacturer and designer

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Folks: one sugestion, spend more time listening to music...and less time arguing.

Either with Regen, as myself, or without Regen, The great thing is listening to music in a way that is more involving.

For me Regen has allowed me to listen longer and to enjoy more of my favourite recordings, as well as redescovering some I previously did not like that much. Some may think otherwise.

Too much time wasted arguing about it.

Back to listening impressions. I got my Metrum Pavane Dac, flying back with it from Minneapolis on Tuesday. It sounds super with the Regen. Also, slipped in an iUSB 3 before the Regen, a set up that sounds very good, too. (Too early for comparisons, and besides when I get fine sound, I am reluctant to experiment. Maybe with just the Regen the bass was a bit boomier, less textured.) I have another Regen to mess around with, but waiting for the dual connecting cable to power both Regens from the JS-2. (Not going to try without the JS-2.) Some day I will play the Pavane USB again, but at the moment Regen+Pavane is a winner.

UptonedMacMini(onJS2)>TelluriumSiverDiamondUSB>IsREgen(onLPS1onJS2)>Curious(short)>BerkeleyAlphaUSB>TomboTronBNC>MetrumPavaneDAC>SilvermithPalladium>MargulesSF(20SE)Pre>TelluriumSilverDiamond>MarguesU280c(25SE)Amp>AZAbsoluteSpeakercables>MargulesOrpheus+MarguleSub.CD:Cambridge851C>StealthVaridigSextet>MetrumPavane.

Powerconditioning/cables:AudienceAR6TSSD;KubalaSosnaElationon>AR6;OndaRaptureonPre-andAmp;KaplancablesonDAC/Transport;Combak350>JS-2;AZAbsolute>Alpha USB.

5ab04fc775d4d_2018-02-1511_30_04.thumb.jpg.bdba2e1c8a8ba2d514247b298a41222d.jpg

Folks: one sugestion, spend more time listening to music...and less time arguing.

Either with Regen, as myself, or without Regen, The great thing is listening to music in a way that is more involving.

For me Regen has allowed me to listen longer and to enjoy more of my favourite recordings, as well as redescovering some I previously did not like that much. Some may think otherwise.

Too much time wasted arguing about it.

If you are happy to stick with plain Vanilla, when you could have Chocolate, then that's your choice ?

Without discussions such as this, there would not be any reason for Alex and John to optimise the Regen's performance further and design the "Mystery" PSU, which may be a game changer for many Regen owners.

I haven't seen any explanation for why this (2nd largest) Regen thread is NOT in the UpTone Audio(sponsored) forum ????

Alex C ??

Hi Dave:

I purposely chose to leave this Listening Impressions thread in public area for a variety of reasons. Some of those reasons may or may not make sense to anyone else. The primary two are:

a) I like having this one active thread appear for any user browsing the DAC forum--as opposed to someone needing to know the UpTone Audio name to look for a thread about the REGEN;

b) Although I have yet to use my powers of moderation in any of the threads in the UpTone sponsored forum--and don't really foresee a need too--I would rather this thread be entirely above any possible suspicion that I have or would ever delete less than favorable experiences (with the REGEN) people might express.

-----------

As for discussions of other power supplies and accessories used with the REGEN: Yeah, I'd prefer that seemingly endless topic of fascination (and often frustration) spin about elsewhere, but as is clear, I am not the moderator in these parts and even if I was about all I would expect is that the discussions wander about in a civil manner.

And don't worry, when our crazy new 1A, 5/7V supply comes out (or when I finally spill the beans about it once boards are heading into production in January), there will be LOTS to yak about and ask questions about. ;)

BTW, today the last of the October-promised REGENs and the first few of the November-promised units shipped out to long-patient buyers around the world. Another few hundred and we might approach being caught up (famous last-month's words).

Ciao,

--Alex C.

And don't worry, when our crazy new 1A, 5/7V supply comes out (or when I finally spill the beans about it once boards are heading into production in January), there will be LOTS to yak about and ask questions about.

Alex C

Let's hope that the Measurement fanatics elsewhere revisit the Regen when used with the vastly superior "Mystery PSU !

I suspect that many other product designers are now looking far more closely at their DAC's USB inputs after the lessons learned with your fantastic little device.

Kind Regards

Alex.

I think I have a fairly high end set-up. With my Aurender N100H and Abbingdon DP-777 the sound I'm getting is so of-a-whole-piece and yet so dynamic with startling fast transcients that I cant fathom that the PSU is going to make much of a difference. I've tried a battery based PS already and heard no meaningful difference. FWIW, I am using an AQJB into a Black Cat USB into the Regen with the stock wall wart. What works best for me won't be best for someone else, but I am left suspecting some/many over-obsess with PSU's when far bigger compromises have been made elsewhere in the audio chain. IMHO PSU's can have a profound effect on ultimate SQ in pre-amps, DAC's and phono stages (which are another form of pre-amp) but should not be so vital to overall SQ in a "signal bridge" which is how I think of an Uptone Audio Regen.

I think I have a fairly high end set-up. With my Aurender N100H and Abbingdon DP-777 the sound I'm getting is so of-a-whole-piece and yet so dynamic with startling fast transcients that I cant fathom that the PSU is going to make much of a difference. I've tried a battery based PS already and heard no meaningful difference. FWIW, I am using an AQJB into a Black Cat USB into the Regen with the stock wall wart. What works best for me won't be best for someone else, but I am left suspecting some/many over-obsess with PSU's when far bigger compromises have been made elsewhere in the audio chain. IMHO PSU's can have a profound effect on ultimate SQ in pre-amps, DAC's and phono stages (which are another form of pre-amp) but should not be so vital to overall SQ in a "signal bridge" which is how I think of an Uptone Audio Regen.

Much will depend on the Signal Integrity coming from the source, with Laptops having the potential to gain more from the use of a Regen.

From an email received the day after a Listening Session where the Regen was used.

WOW! What a positive difference your diy power supply made when plugged in to the Regen. I stopped analysing the sound and was enveloped in the music.

Uptone installed and tried on battery and the stock SMPS.

I discovered I had never properly terminate my custom power cable for my Adnaco and I think I fried the USB portion, so now I'm going direct to my PC.

Just tons of noise this way. Carrier? I've already got a new Adnaco on the way. I doubt I could let go of my Vega DAC, but the Aries Mini is not much more than a full Adnaco S3B; if it's DSD256 is as good as the Vega hell I wouldn't even need a USB cable. gotta imagine the Vega output stage will cream the Mini though, and an Adnaco setup let's me run two DACs easily if desired.

So far the music sounds great with Uptone and I look forward to the Mystery PSU, but further isolation is obviously needed from the PC with my setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

Correct. The DC cord "tail" of the SMPS is 48 inches, so total distance from the wall (including the 18" AC cord and the 3.5" length of the SMPS) can be as much as 68 inches.

BTW, we are finishing preparations for tomorrow's REGEN shipping day. It is a big batch--180 units--and will fill up through order #2643, that's pretty much everyone who ordered up through September 24th. (If you are in that batch you will receive a notice with tracking number at 2:00 p.m. Pacific time tomorrow.

So after tomorrow there will be just 71 October-promised orders to fill (from #2723 onward people are being promised early-November). Sadly, we are waiting for some parts that won't be in until the very last days of October, so next Friday, October 23rd is not going to happen for those of you in that final 71 (order #s 2644 to 2722). We are doing our very best, but it can't be helped this time (unless some back-ordered parts come in sooner).

Thanks for your patience everyone.

Regards,

ALEX C.

Hey Alex,

Any update on the back-ordered parts? Still on schedule for Nov. orders? Thanks for any update info!

-Tom

Edit- disregard, I just saw your last post....need more coffee

Sonore microRendu>Lampi L4G5>Herron VTSP 3a r03>Herron M1a monos>Vapor Cirrus Blacks

Received a Regen today. Out of the box it is impressive, and I was already getting impressive sound. Look forward to hearing it after a couple hundred hours of burn in. The instructions say the USB adapter provides the best impedance match, but compared with the supplied short USB cable, the adapter introduced a decided roughness and narrower soundstage. Really wasn't a surprise: my experience from when I owned a Kenny Ciunas dac was not all adapters are created equal. I had to try several male/female ones before I found one from China that sounded decent.

Do you have a link for the male/female adapter you liked the best?

Thanks

Received a Regen today. Out of the box it is impressive, and I was already getting impressive sound. Look forward to hearing it after a couple hundred hours of burn in. The instructions say the USB adapter provides the best impedance match, but compared with the supplied short USB cable, the adapter introduced a decided roughness and narrower soundstage. Really wasn't a surprise: my experience from when I owned a Kenny Ciunas dac was not all adapters are created equal. I had to try several male/female ones before I found one from China that sounded decent.

Well, obviously the link I posted is not for the Regen because there is no USB-B end. But then the Ciunas also has a B inlet, too, so sorry, buy I'll have to check with the person I sold the Ciunas to, to jog my memory. It definitely was the result of testing, tho, since the others I rejected are still here.

The Regen is different than the others; that is, the Regen and a USB card do different things, with each contributing in one way or another to what you hear, tho not necessarily equally. Michael Lavorgna of Audiostream quotes the explanation from the Regen site (couldn't find it there): UpTone Audio USB REGEN | AudioStream. And there's more at John Swenson's Tech Corner – UpTone Audio. I've been using the Regen with a JCAT card since Monday and am very happy with what I hear so far.

Sorry but I haven't found anything regarding on this topic:

Uptone Regen vs PPAStudio / JCAT / SOTM USB Card comparison?

As I understand it, the REGEN works on issues with the DAC, while the SOtM PCIe to USB card works with issues with the computer. In my experience, the REGEN mostly enhances clarity, while the SOtM card mostly improves the 'air' around instruments. There are other benefits, that have been described in threads about them, but I find these two devices to be complementary to each other, and would not be without either one. As to the most bang for the buck, the REGEN is clearly (for me) the better bargain.

i have no experience with the other devices you mention.

Regards,

Guido F.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

Hello CA,

Have lurked for a while now and just joined the site. I would really appreciate some guidance on the following matter because I'm at a loss over how to correct this issue.

I recently received an Amber Regen. Initial impressions are entirely positive SQ wise but I have an intermittent problem with playback now.

Having added the Regen to my system I am now experiencing jitter during playback. DAC is the Chord QuteHD. I use JRMC 20 and of late Tidal HIFI for playback. I've managed to correct the jitter in MC 20 by changing the buffer option in MC 20 itself so no problem there now, but Tidal is still affected ( it's fine with the Regen removed ).

Could someone kindly advise me with simple instructions on how I can sort this out in Windows 7 please? I have no idea how to tackle this having spent time looking for a fix and have found precisely nothing to help me so far!

Thanks in advance,

Morph.

* I think the solution may be found in Windows 7 but then again I may well be wrong!

Sorry but I haven't found anything regarding on this topic:

Uptone Regen vs PPAStudio / JCAT / SOTM USB Card comparison?

As I understand it, the REGEN works on issues with the DAC, while the SOtM PCIe to USB card works with issues with the computer. In my experience, the REGEN mostly enhances clarity, while the SOtM card mostly improves the 'air' around instruments. There are other benefits, that have been described in threads about them, but I find these two devices to be complementary to each other, and would not be without either one. As to the most bang for the buck, the REGEN is clearly (for me) the better bargain.

i have no experience with the other devices you mention.

Regards,

Guido F.

The SOTM and PPA cards are USB Cards that generate a better USB signal at the computer using better clocks and power supply improvements. The Regen is at the other end of the USB cable just before the DAC - regenerating a fresh USB signal for the DAC. They complement each other as the Regen benefits from a better incoming USB signal.

You could try each in it's own right to see which makes a better improvement in sound.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110