IGNORED

UpTone Audio USB Regen Listening Impressions

Using two Curious - one (1.2M) from MBP to Regen at dac, one (special short cable for Regen) from Regen to dac.

Thanks for your contribution, but I guess many here want to know how the Curious holds up against Lightspeed, Transparent etc. combined with the REGEN. Can you tell us a bit more?

Audio

Auralic Aries Mini > SBooster Vbus Isolator > Clicktronic USB 2.0 cable 0.5m > UpTone Audio REGEN (amber) > Curious USB REGEN link > Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > inakustik Reference NF-102 (RCA) > PrimaLuna Prologue Premium Integrated Amplifier (EL34 tubes) > AH! DLS Direkt KB10 Speaker Cable > Sonus Faber Liuto Tower

~ and ~

Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > Belkin male 3.5-3.5 stereo jack iPod cable (with 6.3 adapter) > Sennheiser RS180

Powerline

Dedicated power group > Oehlbach Powercord OFC 1.5mm2 Schuko-C13 > Furman AC-210A E Power Conditioner > Powerline 1 to PrimaLuna, Powerline 2 to Brennenstuhl Premium Powersocket

UpTone Audio REGEN is powered by Meanwell SMPS with SBooster Ultra for REGEN

Auralic Aries Mini is powered by SBooster BOTW P&P ECO 15/16V with SBooster Ultra 15V

Thanks for your contribution, but I guess many here want to know how the Curious holds up against Lightspeed, Transparent etc. combined with the REGEN. Can you tell us a bit more?

I certainly prefer Curious in my system, but this may be system dependent...

Various speakers, electronics, cable, etc. on loan for manufacturers' evaluation.

More or less permanently in use:

Schiit Iggy (latest), Ayre QB-9 DSD, Ayre Codex, Uptone Audio ISO Regen/LPS-1 Power supply, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio LanRover, Small Green Computer, Sonore ultraRendu, gigaFOIL4 ethernet/optical filter - Keces PS-3 power supply, (3) MBPs - stripped down for music only,  AQ Diamond USB & Ethernet, Transparent USB, Curious USB, LH Lightspeed split USB, Halide USB DAC, Audirvana +, Pure Music, ASR Emitter II Exclusive Blue amp, Ayre K-5xeMP preamp, Pass X-1 preamp, Quicksilver Mid-Mono Amps, Pass XA-30.5 amp, Duelund ICs & Speaker Cables, Paul Hynes SR-7 power supply, Grand Prix Audio Monaco Isolation racks & F1 shelves, Tannoy Canterbury SEs w/custom Duelund crossovers and stands, 2 REL 212SEs, AV RoomService EVPs, ASC Tube Traps, tons of CDs, 30 IPS masters, LPs.

http://www.getbettersound.com

That was then. This is now. No apologies, no excuses.

Fortunately, computer audio is currently a very fast-moving target, with frequent significant steps forward in many areas.

The most surprising and enjoyable aspect is that many of the new improvements are ridiculously affordable: Regen, Curious USB, linear PS, etc., making it viable to try more options. At the same time, online fora - especially CA - make it easy to share experiences with a global community of enthusiasts.

Just looking for clarification Al. You had originally replaced the hard adapter with the AQVOX so I wasn't sure if the Curious Cable was a computer to Regen cable or an actual replacement of the AQVOX which by the way was much more expensive than the Curious Cable.

Clarification is good, especially for all those who went out and tried out the AQVOX who might want to now try the Curious Cable. Think I'll stick with the hard adapter myself as both cables are too rich for my fixed income but you did have me curious 2 months ago with your AQVOX post and now you have me curious with the Curious Cable. Ain't the internet grand? ;)

Clarification is good, especially for all those who went out and tried out the AQVOX who might want to now try the Curious Cable.

Completely agree. I just got AQVOX short cables because I was travelling to Germany, and customs are curious. And now Curious Cable is the flavour of the month. The problem is mine, of course: I am just so bleeding literal and willing to trust strangers such as Al Jones. Strange Worlds.

UptonedMacMini(onJS2)>TelluriumSiverDiamondUSB>IsREgen(onLPS1onJS2)>Curious(short)>BerkeleyAlphaUSB>TomboTronBNC>MetrumPavaneDAC>SilvermithPalladium>MargulesSF(20SE)Pre>TelluriumSilverDiamond>MarguesU280c(25SE)Amp>AZAbsoluteSpeakercables>MargulesOrpheus+MarguleSub.CD:Cambridge851C>StealthVaridigSextet>MetrumPavane.

Powerconditioning/cables:AudienceAR6TSSD;KubalaSosnaElationon>AR6;OndaRaptureonPre-andAmp;KaplancablesonDAC/Transport;Combak350>JS-2;AZAbsolute>Alpha USB.

5ab04fc775d4d_2018-02-1511_30_04.thumb.jpg.bdba2e1c8a8ba2d514247b298a41222d.jpg

Thanks, Richard. I'll consider this over the next couple days. I'm a bit concerned that at some point the whole setup becomes too complex--if we view the Jitterbug and Regen as add-ons to improve upon the DAC's shortcomings, then add a second Jitterbug to improve upon the Regen's shortcomings--it becomes a bit of a brain teaser.

In any case, I'm glad I tried and I appreciate UpTone's stand-up return policy as noted by satfrat below.

Completely agree. I just got AQVOX short cables because I was travelling to Germany, and customs are curious. And now Curious Cable is the flavour of the month. The problem is mine, of course: I am just so bleeding literal and willing to trust strangers such as Al Jones. Strange Worlds.

So did you think the AQVOX short cable was an improvement over the hard adapter and more importantly, was it worth the cost? Just curious,,, it's an audiophile quirk of mine.

oh_crap_not_a_snickers_spy_by_blue_terror_shi-d4ew9ek.jpg

Got back two days ago, jet-lagged, with the stuff. Have not used them. Maybe should have used one. But just wanted to listen to music rather than obsess, so did not even think of it, actually. Opinions after I fetch more goodies, including Regen(s), next week from travels north to the US. This whole rigmarole is getting exhausting, and I have just myself to blame.

next week through travels.

So did you think the AQVOX short cable was an improvement over the hard adapter and more importantly, was it worth the cost? Just curious,,, it's an audiophile quirk of mine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21630[/ATTACH]

UptonedMacMini(onJS2)>TelluriumSiverDiamondUSB>IsREgen(onLPS1onJS2)>Curious(short)>BerkeleyAlphaUSB>TomboTronBNC>MetrumPavaneDAC>SilvermithPalladium>MargulesSF(20SE)Pre>TelluriumSilverDiamond>MarguesU280c(25SE)Amp>AZAbsoluteSpeakercables>MargulesOrpheus+MarguleSub.CD:Cambridge851C>StealthVaridigSextet>MetrumPavane.

Powerconditioning/cables:AudienceAR6TSSD;KubalaSosnaElationon>AR6;OndaRaptureonPre-andAmp;KaplancablesonDAC/Transport;Combak350>JS-2;AZAbsolute>Alpha USB.

After our last exchange, inserted one of the AQVOX short(est) cables between the Regen and the Alpha USB: it sounds good, maybe already better than the hard adaptor, but then I am also easy to convince (especially after spending 130 Euros on each of the thingies). Seriously, while I like taking the mickey/piss out of myself, unlike some around, can I post next week? Travelling tomorrow to pick up other goodies, as it were!

I've put nearly 100 hours on two lengths of the Curious USB, 28 cm into the Regen and 20 cm out of it, but it literally only took ten seconds to know that this was a keeper. My former references, Lightspeed and Revelation Audio, both in dual conduit versions, will now reside in my secondary home office system.

"Revelation" is a word better applied to the openness, expansiveness, clarity and purity of the Curious USB and these characteristics just keep getting better. It's tough to describe, but they simply deliver a more solid, stable, three-dimensional image that I instantly fell for.

I know I'm on to a good thing, when I find myself constantly revisiting old musical favorites curious to hear how they will sound with Curious cables. And that's exactly what I've been doing the past few days and what I will be doing for the foreseeable future.

I am very happy for you, but I can't see your system for your tweaks. Don't you think a better DAC might help, too?

One AQVOX short cable in position described is better, at least in terms of clarity, he confessed (curiously) regretfully while happy for his (blind) investment.

I am very happy for you, but I can't see your system for your tweaks. Don't you think a better DAC might help, too?

A "better" anything would always help. At and beyond its price point, I find the upgradeable W4S highly competitive, with rare, useful features like an I2S input.

As for system vs. tweaks, decades of front line experience (radio dj, magazine equipment and music reviewer, marketing manager of a pan-Scandinavian chain of audio retail outlets) have taught me that that is an utterly meaningless distinction.

For instance, I view the Regen as an essential component (just to keep this marginally on topic), not an accessory or tweak and my investments in power management, vibration control, grounding, RFI/EMI control, etc. are not audiofool jewelry, but every bit as crucial as my component choices.

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

A "better" anything would always help. At and beyond its price point, I find the upgradeable W4S highly competitive, with rare, useful features like an I2S input.

As for system vs. tweaks, decades of front line experience (radio dj, magazine equipment and music reviewer, marketing manager of a pan-Scandinavian chain of audio retail outlets) have taught me that that is an utterly meaningless distinction.

For instance, I view the Regen as an essential component (just to keep this marginally on topic), not an accessory or tweak and my investments in power management, vibration control, grounding, RFI/EMI control, etc. are not audiofool jewelry, but every bit as crucial as my component choices.

So are you using Curious Cables at both ends of the Regen Al?

FWIW, I totally agree with everything you're saying and I'm practicing everything you're preaching in my own system. I'm an audiophool by choice and I can laugh at myself for being one. I'm just jealous I can't afford my old habits any longer. :(

Yes, 28cm Curious ahead of the Regen and 20cm after it.

Saffrat, I am less than a year and a half away from living on a fixed income, so I feel your pain.

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

I certainly prefer Curious in my system, but this may be system dependent...

How would you characterize the diff between:

1- Lightspeed -> Regen -> Hard connector (included with Regen) -> DAC; vs

2- Curious (long) -> Regen -> Curious (short) -> DAC?

And this is with a macbook pro, Ayre QB9-DSD, and Audirvana (what version, iTunes or standalone)?

Thx!

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Thanks: I have sent you a personal message. How would you characterise the difference between the short AQVOX usb and the short Curious USB going from Regen to DAC?

Most people stick something solid under the REGEN to support it from drooping, but if you need an audio quality short USB cable, and don't want to spend $120, Wireworld makes 30cm USB cables for as little as $26 (Pearl), $43 (Ultraviolet 7), and $85 (Starlight 7). I have the UV 7, and the difference between it and the hard adapter used between the REGEN and the DAC is almost imperceptible.

USB Audio, Extension & Power Cable Types available from The Cable Company

Im using a Vibrapod underneath the Regen. It's perfect size.

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

If this has already been posted, I missed it in my scan and apologize for any repeat. And given the different Regen threads, I am assuming a review will fit fine here, given the thread title.

It's such a nicely laid-out review (focused on the subjective side) and as usually the case, gives a hearty endorsement of the little guy. I'm still stacking up shekels for a new DAC and then most likely a Regen. Sometimes "patience" isn't really patience for me, but more a graceless and grudging acceptance of inescapable budget restraints lol.

Mono and Stereo High-End Audio Magazine: UpTone Audio USB REGEN review

How would you characterize the diff between:

And this is with a macbook pro, Ayre QB9-DSD, and Audirvana (what version, iTunes or standalone)?

Thx!

Ease, musical flow, (less mechanical).

The MBP is stripped down for music only, also use Cocktail to help with this in a major way, as well as Audirvana's program reductions. I am still on Audiorvana 1.5.10, with playlist playback.

Various speakers, electronics, cable, etc. on loan for manufacturers' evaluation.

Schiit Iggy (latest), Ayre QB-9 DSD, Ayre Codex, Uptone Audio ISO Regen/LPS-1 Power supply, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio LanRover, Small Green Computer, Sonore ultraRendu, gigaFOIL4 ethernet/optical filter - Keces PS-3 power supply, (3) MBPs - stripped down for music only,  AQ Diamond USB & Ethernet, Transparent USB, Curious USB, LH Lightspeed split USB, Halide USB DAC, Audirvana +, Pure Music, ASR Emitter II Exclusive Blue amp, Ayre K-5xeMP preamp, Pass X-1 preamp, Quicksilver Mid-Mono Amps, Pass XA-30.5 amp, Duelund ICs & Speaker Cables, Paul Hynes SR-7 power supply, Grand Prix Audio Monaco Isolation racks & F1 shelves, Tannoy Canterbury SEs w/custom Duelund crossovers and stands, 2 REL 212SEs, AV RoomService EVPs, ASC Tube Traps, tons of CDs, 30 IPS masters, LPs.

If this has already been posted...

Sometimes "patience" isn't really patience for me, but more a graceless and grudging acceptance of inescapable budget restraints

Yep...

I suggest focusing on pleasurable anticipation, and looking at your patience as a positive character trait. Turn a loss to a win :)

If this has already been posted, I missed it in my scan and apologize for any repeat. And given the different Regen threads, I am assuming a review will fit fine here, given the thread title.

It's such a nicely laid-out review (focused on the subjective side) and as usually the case, gives a hearty endorsement of the little guy. I'm still stacking up shekels for a new DAC and then most likely a Regen. Sometimes "patience" isn't really patience for me, but more a graceless and grudging acceptance of inescapable budget restraints lol.

Mono and Stereo High-End Audio Magazine: UpTone Audio USB REGEN review

Thanks for the link!

Johan

Audio

Auralic Aries Mini > SBooster Vbus Isolator > Clicktronic USB 2.0 cable 0.5m > UpTone Audio REGEN (amber) > Curious USB REGEN link > Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > inakustik Reference NF-102 (RCA) > PrimaLuna Prologue Premium Integrated Amplifier (EL34 tubes) > AH! DLS Direkt KB10 Speaker Cable > Sonus Faber Liuto Tower

~ and ~

Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > Belkin male 3.5-3.5 stereo jack iPod cable (with 6.3 adapter) > Sennheiser RS180

Powerline

Dedicated power group > Oehlbach Powercord OFC 1.5mm2 Schuko-C13 > Furman AC-210A E Power Conditioner > Powerline 1 to PrimaLuna, Powerline 2 to Brennenstuhl Premium Powersocket

UpTone Audio REGEN is powered by Meanwell SMPS with SBooster Ultra for REGEN

Auralic Aries Mini is powered by SBooster BOTW P&P ECO 15/16V with SBooster Ultra 15V

Im using a Vibrapod underneath the Regen. It's perfect size.

Cool. Me, too!

Cool. I have a box of them somewhere in my closet.

Hahaha! They are that good.

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

Ease, musical flow, (less mechanical).

The MBP is stripped down for music only, also use Cocktail to help with this in a major way, as well as Audirvana's program reductions. I am still on Audiorvana 1.5.10, with playlist playback.

Thx Jim

system pics