IGNORED

UpTone Audio USB Regen Listening Impressions

30W DC9V HiFi Linear Power Supply Regulated PSU for DAC Amp Digital Display | eBay

This seller ships very fast.

As a side note, with respect to the upcoming mystery power supply add-on, it should probably be restated that Superdad confirmed the Mystery Add-On:

(1) will not cure any negative sonic impacts or smps nastiness of using the Meanwell smps on your Regen, and

(2) won't care about the quality of the linear power supply that feeds power to the Mystery Add-On. In other words the sound quality from a Regen + Mystery Add-On will be the same whether it is powered by a fancy/expensive Uptone JS-2 power supply or the $60 Ebay "El Cheapo" LPS. So don't waste your money buying an expensive LPS if you will be buying the Mystery Add-On.

Ordered! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As mentioned previously by a couple of members, there is nothing too special about that PSU other than the use of an R Core transformer. It appears to use something like a simple LM317T adjustable voltage regulator, and the Regen will almost certainly improve further if used in conjunction with the "Mystery" PSU.

It is possible that many (but not all) members will obtain similar results when using the supplied +7.5V SMPS plug pack in conjunction with the "Mystery" PSU without spending around an additional US$80

In other words, don't rush in if you intend purchasing the "Mystery" PSU, but wait until listening reports start to come in if you can't afford the additional expenditure.

From your mouth to Gawd's ears,,, sounds like a wise plan all though maybe the Mystery PS will also be a performance help for "El Cheapo"?

From your mouth to Gawd's ears,,, sounds like a wise plan all though maybe the Mystery PS will also be a performance help for "El Cheapo"?

Anybody who is impatient to see if the "Mystery" PSU will make a further improvement over the supplied +7.5V SMPS plug pack, and who doesn't need to supply current via USB to the DAC could always try that cheap ebay Li Ion powerpack that I mentioned previously in the interim ? Even a Linear PSU has a degree of coupling to the mains supply, and possible SQ degrading earth loops, even when not using a 3 pin mains plug.

P.S.

Do any of you guys play .wav files directly ? It could be interesting to try saving some uploaded .wav files via the Regen to a USB memory stick then using the Regen again to export the results to your DAC's USB input.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Provided that the leads from the battery are short and reasonably thick, an electrolytic capacitor in parallel at the output of the battery supply won't make any real difference unless the battery has a relatively small current capability and it's voltage is varying under load. This shouldn't normally be a problem with say a Li Ion battery pack of 2,000mAh or greater capacity that doesn't need recharging. Unfortunately, the 7.2V Li Ion packs don't come with 2.1mm plugs, although the 12V versions do.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

P.S.

Do any of you guys play .wav files directly ? It could be interesting to try saving some uploaded .wav files via the Regen to a USB memory stick then using the Regen again to export the results to your DAC's USB input.

Are you using an external USB drive to rip? Or another config?

The only USB devices on my Mac Mini are the Regen/DAC combo, and ripping from an external Plextor Pro via Firewire. My understanding is that FW has inherently less jitter than USB, and my rips sound great especially at slower rip speeds (4-8x).

I do have the option of using the Plextor's USB connection, so I could compare with a Regen, but I've compared FW rips to USB in the past and prefer the FW.

Might be an interesting experiment.

Late 2012 Mac Mini > Audirvana+3 > iFi Zen Stream > Heimdall 2 USB >  iFi iDSD Micro BL > Pass Labs INT-30A > DeVore The Nines! + REL Strata III

Well-Tempered Amadeus Benz ACE SL > Pass Labs XOno

"Water is the most critical resource issue of our lifetime and our children's lifetime. The health of our waters is the principal measure of how we live on the land." - Luna Leopold

Hi Doak

That's what I'd like to try. Please give some details including amt of capacitance and how you selected the cap value and type.

Thanks

Here's one in simplest form.

li-on bat pack.JPG

Mine uses a 220uf 63v Mundorf across the terminals because it was in the parts bin. Inductance measured very low.

Incredibly, a bag of 10 of these plugs from eBay cost 99 cents delivered.

Measured output is 8.4v from the two Samsung Li-on batteries.

These give at least 8 hours of listening before requiring recharging.

The back end of this thread on AA has more info on parts:

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=pcaudio&m=150005

li-on bat pack.JPG

Are you using an external USB drive to rip? Or another config?

My main music storage is on internal SSD , with both the OS and Music SSDs powered by separate internal low noise +12V to +5V regulators. I used to get superior results over files stored on internal HDD, when ripping directly to USB memory powered by an external Low noise +5V Linear supply and modified USB cable. Using the Regen as described takes me very close indeed to the quality of the files saved to SSD, which then enables me to plug the Corsair Voyager via the Regen into my Oppo 103 in the listening room, and then Coax SPDIF Out to a better DIY DAC. The difference with the rips made using the Regen in line to the Corsair, is very obvious through the main system, when compared with previous existing rips in a different folder on the same Corsair Voyager.

Just read the Stereophile reviews of the Regen. Unanimous thumbs-up by several writers. In combination with the Jitterbug, the pair have a good synergy. Good to hear others outside the forum too say what my ears have been telling me about these two devices.

Reading these posts in a mainly pleasant if principally jet-lagged state, senyor Blizzard, do you realise how aggravating, ninnyish, and unhappy you sound?

I imagine he's referring to the interfaces on his DAC's. The way I have it figured is:

1: Well implemented internal Ethernet renderer

2: I2S over LVDS (HDMI or RJ45)

3: AES/EBU

4: Coaxial SPDIF

5: USB

So pretty much the same as Paul, except I have no ST fibre experience, so can't state my opinion there. But if a manufacture of a specific DAC says one of their interfaces is best with their gear, it might be best to listen to them no matter what the interface is.

And of course, very good clocks should be used in the transports with anything using AES/EBU or coaxial SPDIF.

UptonedMacMini(onJS2)>TelluriumSiverDiamondUSB>IsREgen(onLPS1onJS2)>Curious(short)>BerkeleyAlphaUSB>TomboTronBNC>MetrumPavaneDAC>SilvermithPalladium>MargulesSF(20SE)Pre>TelluriumSilverDiamond>MarguesU280c(25SE)Amp>AZAbsoluteSpeakercables>MargulesOrpheus+MarguleSub.CD:Cambridge851C>StealthVaridigSextet>MetrumPavane.

Powerconditioning/cables:AudienceAR6TSSD;KubalaSosnaElationon>AR6;OndaRaptureonPre-andAmp;KaplancablesonDAC/Transport;Combak350>JS-2;AZAbsolute>Alpha USB.

5ab04fc775d4d_2018-02-1511_30_04.thumb.jpg.bdba2e1c8a8ba2d514247b298a41222d.jpg

Reading these posts in a mainly pleasant if principally jet-lagged state, senyor Blizzard, do you realise how aggravating, ninnyish, and unhappy you sound?

And how is your post any better? Feeding the trolls only brings him back to address you, or is that your objective?

Really don't know. (I am not invested in the trolls, nor in bringing alive spectres.) Wrote what struck me as something of the unsaid of certain statements. It was less to prove or preach, and more a languid observation. I am not good at the protocols of these exchanges: if I am at fault, let me know, and I shall desist forthwith.

And how is your post any better? Feeding the trolls only brings him back to address you, or is that your objective?

UptonedMacMini(onJS2)>TelluriumSiverDiamondUSB>IsREgen(onLPS1onJS2)>Curious(short)>BerkeleyAlphaUSB>TomboTronBNC>MetrumPavaneDAC>SilvermithPalladium>MargulesSF(20SE)Pre>TelluriumSilverDiamond>MarguesU280c(25SE)Amp>AZAbsoluteSpeakercables>MargulesOrpheus+MarguleSub.CD:Cambridge851C>StealthVaridigSextet>MetrumPavane.

Powerconditioning/cables:AudienceAR6TSSD;KubalaSosnaElationon>AR6;OndaRaptureonPre-andAmp;KaplancablesonDAC/Transport;Combak350>JS-2;AZAbsolute>Alpha USB.

5ab04fc775d4d_2018-02-1511_30_04.thumb.jpg.bdba2e1c8a8ba2d514247b298a41222d.jpg

Again, I think many people forget why many people use USB. It is the best/easy way to get a good/cheap source.

If I had 4000 $ to buy a better source, I will, but sorry I don't have. Until a better source at less than 1000 $ is available, the PC as a source (and so, the USB) is the only way I can use for the moment.

Does any one know a better source than USB at less than 1000 $ ?

I really have a hard time seeing how understanding which interfaces are superior would make me unhappy. I have an even harder time understanding why you guys have minds that are so closed that you refuse to acknowledge this fact.

Actually I'm smiling ear to ear enjoying the pure I2S/DSD coming of the SD card transport in my DAC.

Again, I think many people forget why many people use USB. It is the best/easy way to get a good/cheap source.

If I had 4000 $ to buy a better source, I will, but sorry I don't have. Until a better source at less than 1000 $ is available, the PC as a source (and so, the USB) is the only way I can use for the moment.

There's some amazing SD card transports out there for well under $1000. They blow away any computer connected via USB. The GUI's aren't as fancy as on a PC, but if sound quality matters most, it's a good way to go. They are still much much better than using a CD transport.

Perhaps a Window PC with a decent Soundcard and Coax SPDIF Out ?

As usual, it will depend on how well Coax SPDIF is implemented in both the soundcard and the DAC. The Asus Xonar D2X and Essence for example , have a supplementary power feed, and give excellent performance via Coax SPDIF, as well as Toslink.

By the time you factor in expensive aftermarket USB cables, USB Regen, and perhaps a Linear PSU as with many Mac Minis, your PC Audio has become quite expensive !

Really don't know. (I am not invested in the trolls, nor in bringing alive spectres.) Wrote what struck me as something of the unsaid of certain statements. It was less to prove or preach, and more a languid observation. I am not good at the protocols of these exchanges: if I am at fault, let me know, and I shall desist forthwith.

Told ya so.

You should get a REGEN tattoo, or start selling REGEN shirts and hats.

It's sure seems like it's the ONLY device in your audio chain that matters. Little do you realize, swapping out a 30 cent resistor in your speaker Xover would likely make a bigger difference.

Looks like your one month cool down didn't have any effect.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

You should get a REGEN tattoo, or start selling REGEN shirts and hats.

It's sure seems like it's the ONLY device in your audio chain that matters. Little do you realize, swapping out a 30 cent resistor in your speaker Xover would likely make a bigger difference.

Buzzard

Haven't you anything better to do than pollute a LISTENING thread with your unwanted contributions ?