IGNORED

UpTone Audio USB Regen Listening Impressions

There's some amazing SD card transports out there for well under $1000. They blow away any computer connected via USB. The GUI's aren't as fancy as on a PC, but if sound quality matters most, it's a good way to go. They are still much much better than using a CD transport.

I would love to test one. The idea of swapping out cards is not very appealing, however.

To be honest, I think the problem with PC Audio has more to do with the PC itself, than the storage hardware. To this day, there are very few PC vendors offering truly dedicated boards for audio. Am looking forward to the Sonore Micro

Saying that USB is inferior in itself does not make much sense, IMO.

You should get a REGEN tattoo, or start selling REGEN shirts and hats.

It's sure seems like it's the ONLY device in your audio chain that matters. Little do you realize, swapping out a 30 cent resistor in your speaker Xover would likely make a bigger difference.

In case you haven't noticed this is a Regen thread, so tattoo's, shirts, and hats are are on-topic. But your BS is OFF TOPIC. So please cease and desist, or take it somewhere else !

Perhaps a Window PC with a decent Soundcard and Coax SPDIF Out ?

As usual, it will depend on how well Coax SPDIF is implemented in both the soundcard and the DAC. The Asus Xonar D2X and Essence for example , have a supplementary power feed, and give excellent performance via Coax SPDIF, as well as Toslink.

By the time you factor in expensive aftermarket USB cables, USB Regen, and perhaps a Linear PSU as with many Mac Minis, your PC Audio has become quite expensive !

Off Topic. Please stay on the subject of Regen listening reports.

Really don't know. (I am not invested in the trolls, nor in bringing alive spectres.) Wrote what struck me as something of the unsaid of certain statements. It was less to prove or preach, and more a languid observation. I am not good at the protocols of these exchanges: if I am at fault, let me know, and I shall desist forthwith.

Off Topic. (But now maybe you have learned something about feeding trolls...)

scirica, Doak, satfrat, etc.: There are specific threads for discussion of Regen power supplies. Could you please move the PSU talk there ?

Just read the Stereophile reviews of the Regen. Unanimous thumbs-up by several writers. In combination with the Jitterbug, the pair have a good synergy. Good to hear others outside the forum too say what my ears have been telling me about these two devices.

All right, an On Topic post !!

Is that review online yet ? I'd like to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by sandyk View Post

Perhaps a Window PC with a decent Soundcard and Coax SPDIF Out ?

As usual, it will depend on how well Coax SPDIF is implemented in both the soundcard and the DAC. The Asus Xonar D2X and Essence for example , have a supplementary power feed, and give excellent performance via Coax SPDIF, as well as Toslink.

By the time you factor in expensive aftermarket USB cables, USB Regen, and perhaps a Linear PSU as with many Mac Minis, your PC Audio has become quite expensive !

Off Topic. Please stay on the subject of Regen listening reports.

Dave

I simply replied to a posted question. Unless you have been appointed a moderator, please stop trying to act like one.

The vast majority of my replies in this thread have been completely on topic, with additional suggestions as to how the UpTone USB Regen has other very worthwhile uses.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Sadness--the USB Regen didn't quite cut it for me. I have a Mac Mini and Meridian Director, with a Jitterbug added to good effect just a few weeks ago. I think the problem is that I used the Regen to replace an AQVOX power supply. Compared to the AQVOX, the Regen was harsher, less musical and more digital sounding to both me and my wife (her test was blind).

My take is that a huge piece of the Regen's value, as reported by others, is the power supply. The other changes to the signal may be a mixed bag, favorable to some but not others.

Sadness--the USB Regen didn't quite cut it for me. I have a Mac Mini and Meridian Director, with a Jitterbug added to good effect just a few weeks ago. I think the problem is that I used the Regen to replace an AQVOX power supply. Compared to the AQVOX, the Regen was harsher, less musical and more digital sounding to both me and my wife (her test was blind).

My take is that a huge piece of the Regen's value, as reported by others, is the power supply. The other changes to the signal may be a mixed bag, favorable to some but not others.

Hello Peter,

Curiously, I had a mixed reaction when I added a Regen to my system. I also added a JS-2 LPS and MMK. The mixed reaction included what you and your wife described, i.e., harsher or brighter and more digital sounding, yet the positive aspect of the mixed reaction kept the Regen connected.

What changed the mixed reaction to more favorable was the addition of the AQJB which once added restored more of the SQ I prefer. At the back of my Mac Mini, the first AQJB was connected inline with the Light Harmonic LightSpeed (0.8m, standard, red) USB cable. The second AQJB was added to the next USB output port which was empty. The addition of the second AQJB tamed the remainder of the brighter/digital sound to the SQ (or very close to) I prefer. Relief!

I am sharing my assessment with you in case you might try two AQJBs and determine the results (or not). Some members have connected two Regens and assessed a further improvement after their Regen was connected. Given my initial experience with the first Regen, it has not occurred to me to add a second Regen. But the serendipitous addition of one and then a second AQJB has made the synergy of UpTone Audio components with AQJB for my system a worthy improvement and enhanced my enjoyment of the music from my system.

Best,

Richard

Hello Peter,

Curiously, I had a mixed reaction when I added a Regen to my system. I also added a JS-2 LPS and MMK. The mixed reaction included what you and your wife described, i.e., harsher or brighter and more digital sounding, yet the positive aspect of the mixed reaction kept the Regen connected.

What changed the mixed reaction to more favorable was the addition of the AQJB which once added restored more of the SQ I prefer. At the back of my Mac Mini, the first AQJB was connected inline with the Light Harmonic LightSpeed (0.8m, standard, red) USB cable. The second AQJB was added to the next USB output port which was empty. The addition of the second AQJB tamed the remainder of the brighter/digital sound to the SQ (or very close to) I prefer. Relief!

I am sharing my assessment with you in case you might try two AQJBs and determine the results (or not). Some members have connected two Regens and assessed a further improvement after their Regen was connected. Given my initial experience with the first Regen, it has not occurred to me to add a second Regen. But the serendipitous addition of one and then a second AQJB has made the synergy of UpTone Audio components with AQJB for my system a worthy improvement and enhanced my enjoyment of the music from my system.

Best,

Richard

Or Peter could simply return the Regen for his money back. It's always an option.

Reading all listening impressions here with great interest. Guess a lot of the effect a REGEN has depends on:

- how much room there's to improve on the incoming signal (how bad is the source?)

- the power supply of the REGEN

- the way the USB port of your DAC is implemented

In my case the USB signal of my 2010 MacBook really is polluted. So much to the extent that my DAC became static when the USB cable was attached (no matter what cable). No need to say that the REGEN brought a big relief (by decoupling the 5V feed)*. When I added a € 65 filter (SBooster Ultra for REGEN) to remove unwanted noise from the Meanwell SMPS, the SQ improved again, albeit more subtle.

* to make sure my REGEN doesn't suffer from unwanted electrical pollution I added a SBooster Vbus to the USB output of the Mac. It terminates the 2 power wires from the USB bus.

So, in my set-up I've a 'bad source' and seemingly the USB port of my Wadia 121 DAC doesn't filter or isolate anything and just puts through all noise to the DAC's processor. If on the other hand your USB signal path is 'clean' by itself, then there's less to do for the REGEN.

Audio

Auralic Aries Mini > SBooster Vbus Isolator > Clicktronic USB 2.0 cable 0.5m > UpTone Audio REGEN (amber) > Curious USB REGEN link > Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > inakustik Reference NF-102 (RCA) > PrimaLuna Prologue Premium Integrated Amplifier (EL34 tubes) > AH! DLS Direkt KB10 Speaker Cable > Sonus Faber Liuto Tower

~ and ~

Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > Belkin male 3.5-3.5 stereo jack iPod cable (with 6.3 adapter) > Sennheiser RS180

Powerline

Dedicated power group > Oehlbach Powercord OFC 1.5mm2 Schuko-C13 > Furman AC-210A E Power Conditioner > Powerline 1 to PrimaLuna, Powerline 2 to Brennenstuhl Premium Powersocket

UpTone Audio REGEN is powered by Meanwell SMPS with SBooster Ultra for REGEN

Auralic Aries Mini is powered by SBooster BOTW P&P ECO 15/16V with SBooster Ultra 15V

As many have noted, sound improved after a burn in period. In my case, sound was a little harsh for the first 30 hours or so.

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

For those looking to experiment a bit, you might want to consider the new Curious Cable usb cable. They make a specific short version for the Regen for $120, to use in place of the hard adapter or short usb cable that comes stock with the Regen. See this link (and scroll down to the bottom):

Buy

I was using the hard adapter but really prefer the Curious Cable. The cool part is that there is a no questions asked return policy, which includes free shipping, so it truly is a "no risk" opportunity to try it. I actually preferred the Curious Cable to my $1,000 Light Harmonic usb cable.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

I've put nearly 100 hours on two lengths of the Curious USB, 28 cm into the Regen and 20 cm out of it, but it literally only took ten seconds to know that this was a keeper. My former references, Lightspeed and Revelation Audio, both in dual conduit versions, will now reside in my secondary home office system.

"Revelation" is a word better applied to the openness, expansiveness, clarity and purity of the Curious USB and these characteristics just keep getting better. It's tough to describe, but they simply deliver a more solid, stable, three-dimensional image that I instantly fell for.

I know I'm on to a good thing, when I find myself constantly revisiting old musical favorites curious to hear how they will sound with Curious cables. And that's exactly what I've been doing the past few days and what I will be doing for the foreseeable future.

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

For those looking to experiment a bit, you might want to consider the new Curious Cable usb cable. They make a specific short version for the Regen for $120, to use in place of the hard adapter or short usb cable that comes stock with the Regen. See this link (and scroll down to the bottom):

Buy

I was using the hard adapter but really prefer the Curious Cable. The cool part is that there is a no questions asked return policy, which includes free shipping, so it truly is a "no risk" opportunity to try it. I actually preferred the Curious Cable to my $1,000 Light Harmonic usb cable.

Well, I am 'considering'. The hard adapter causes some trouble because the total construction flips out easily from the back of my DAC, the short flexible cable has been 'ditched' bij Alex himself, so the Curious might be a good option just for this matter.

But, I have some doubts. I don't have money to spend to run another Curious from my Macbook to the REGEN. So my set-up then wil be like this:

Macbook - Supra - Regen - Curious

(and in the near future: Aries Mini - Supra - Regen - Curious)

Do I profit from all gains in SQ in this set-up as well? Or can I spend my 120 bucks wiser? Thanks for all advices.

Btw, my REGEN is powered by the Meanwell SMPS and filtered with an SBooster Ultra for REGEN.

Audio

Auralic Aries Mini > SBooster Vbus Isolator > Clicktronic USB 2.0 cable 0.5m > UpTone Audio REGEN (amber) > Curious USB REGEN link > Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > inakustik Reference NF-102 (RCA) > PrimaLuna Prologue Premium Integrated Amplifier (EL34 tubes) > AH! DLS Direkt KB10 Speaker Cable > Sonus Faber Liuto Tower

~ and ~

Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > Belkin male 3.5-3.5 stereo jack iPod cable (with 6.3 adapter) > Sennheiser RS180

Powerline

Dedicated power group > Oehlbach Powercord OFC 1.5mm2 Schuko-C13 > Furman AC-210A E Power Conditioner > Powerline 1 to PrimaLuna, Powerline 2 to Brennenstuhl Premium Powersocket

UpTone Audio REGEN is powered by Meanwell SMPS with SBooster Ultra for REGEN

Auralic Aries Mini is powered by SBooster BOTW P&P ECO 15/16V with SBooster Ultra 15V

Well, I am 'considering'. The hard adapter causes some trouble because the total construction flips out easily from the back of my DAC, the short flexible cable has been 'ditched' bij Alex himself, so the Curious might be a good option just for this matter.

But, I have some doubts. I don't have money to spend to run another Curious from my Macbook to the REGEN. So my set-up then wil be like this:

Do I profit from all gains in SQ in this set-up as well? Or can I spend my 120 bucks wiser? Thanks for all advices.

Btw, my REGEN is powered by the Meanwell SMPS and filtered with an SBooster Ultra for REGEN.

Most people stick something solid under the REGEN to support it from drooping, but if you need an audio quality short USB cable, and don't want to spend $120, Wireworld makes 30cm USB cables for as little as $26 (Pearl), $43 (Ultraviolet 7), and $85 (Starlight 7). I have the UV 7, and the difference between it and the hard adapter used between the REGEN and the DAC is almost imperceptible.

USB Audio, Extension & Power Cable Types available from The Cable Company

The only way to find out is to try for yourself. Since there is no shipping charge and you can return the Curious Cable, it is painless and free to experiment. Let us know your findings if you decide to try it.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

I've put nearly 100 hours on two lengths of the Curious USB, 28 cm into the Regen and 20 cm out of it, but it literally only took ten seconds to know that this was a keeper. My former references, Lightspeed and Revelation Audio, both in dual conduit versions, will now reside in my secondary home office system.

"Revelation" is a word better applied to the openness, expansiveness, clarity and purity of the Curious USB and these characteristics just keep getting better. It's tough to describe, but they simply deliver a more solid, stable, three-dimensional image that I instantly fell for.

I know I'm on to a good thing, when I find myself constantly revisiting old musical favorites curious to hear how they will sound with Curious cables. And that's exactly what I've been doing the past few days and what I will be doing for the foreseeable future.

Gee Al, I thought a few months ago the German AQVOX cable was THEE USB cable to must-have,,,, now it's the Australian Curious Cable that's golden? Or is it a must -have situation for both cables in your system? Now that I could understand, it's an audiophile thing. :D

I am surely not the only one to now be Curious about this new cable.

Thanks for the heads up ?

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

No need to reinvent the wheel here. Alex has always said to use the adapter or another similar for best SQ. Shouldn't have to pay more than $5 for an adapter. The chord provided by Uptone was only meant to be a temporary solution, poor SQ. There are other adapters on Amazon. There are some ingenious solutions in the Regen thread for supporting the Regen.

From the computer, your choice, but seems the Supra for $40 has been a great cheaper solution.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Gee Al, I thought a few months ago the German AQVOX cable was THEE USB cable to must-have,,,, now it's the Australian Curious Cable that's golden? Or is it a must -have situation for both cables in your system? Now that I could understand, it's an audiophile thing. :D

That was then. This is now. No apologies, no excuses.

Fortunately, computer audio is currently a very fast-moving target, with frequent significant steps forward in many areas.

The most surprising and enjoyable aspect is that many of the new improvements are ridiculously affordable: Regen, Curious USB, linear PS, etc., making it viable to try more options. At the same time, online fora - especially CA - make it easy to share experiences with a global community of enthusiasts.

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

Using two Curious - one (1.2M) from MBP to Regen at dac, one (special short cable for Regen) from Regen to dac.

Various speakers, electronics, cable, etc. on loan for manufacturers' evaluation.

More or less permanently in use:

Schiit Iggy (latest), Ayre QB-9 DSD, Ayre Codex, Uptone Audio ISO Regen/LPS-1 Power supply, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio LanRover, Small Green Computer, Sonore ultraRendu, gigaFOIL4 ethernet/optical filter - Keces PS-3 power supply, (3) MBPs - stripped down for music only,  AQ Diamond USB & Ethernet, Transparent USB, Curious USB, LH Lightspeed split USB, Halide USB DAC, Audirvana +, Pure Music, ASR Emitter II Exclusive Blue amp, Ayre K-5xeMP preamp, Pass X-1 preamp, Quicksilver Mid-Mono Amps, Pass XA-30.5 amp, Duelund ICs & Speaker Cables, Paul Hynes SR-7 power supply, Grand Prix Audio Monaco Isolation racks & F1 shelves, Tannoy Canterbury SEs w/custom Duelund crossovers and stands, 2 REL 212SEs, AV RoomService EVPs, ASC Tube Traps, tons of CDs, 30 IPS masters, LPs.

http://www.getbettersound.com