IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

2 hours ago, wklie said:

1. Upgrade to T2  :)
  2. I don't know if there is some XLR to RCA converter that can make the RCA output 4V rms if the the XLR input is 4V rms
  3. Use an active preamp

4. 2v being *the* standard for RCAs... just don't bother ;p

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Hi there,

Which is the better option for my Lumin T1, in terms of sound quality:

1. Lumin --> preamp --> power amplifier

2. Lumin --> power amplifier through XLR and use Leedh as digital volume control

I need your advise before upgrading my system and looking forward your information.

Thank you very much.

Francis

I've always been one that believes the shortest, most direct path be it with audio or "as the crow flies" is the best choice.

Of course if you need the preamp for equalization, switching functions, etc. than the preamp is the only way to go.

I've got my X1 going via XLR through an XLR switch to the input of the amplifiers so I can enjoy the best of both worlds by going direct when I use the X1 or going through the preamp / processor when I need the home theater setup.

But, PLEASE, don't let this sway you in any way into how to spend your money.  Only your decision and no one else's, other than maybe that of your significant other or your banker, should do that.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

38 minutes ago, BlueSkyy said:

I've always been one that believes the shortest, most direct path be it with audio or "as the crow flies" is the best choice.

Of course if you need the preamp for equalization, switching functions, etc. than the preamp is the only way to go.

I've got my X1 going via XLR through an XLR switch to the input of the amplifiers so I can enjoy the best of both worlds by going direct when I use the X1 or going through the preamp / processor when I need the home theater setup.

But, PLEASE, don't let this sway you in any way into how to spend your money.  Only your decision and no one else's, other than maybe that of your significant other or your banker, should do that.

Which XLR switch are you using? I am doing something similar using RCA switching with a Manley Skipjack, but may need to look at using the XLR outputs of my A1 to have more output voltage so I have a broader choice of amps I can choose since the RCA outputs are only 2VRMS max

I am using the Kramer VS-4X.  It's passive and well-built.  I contacted Manley and they will probably never manufacture an XLR version of their switch and that's too bad.

VS-4X.jpg

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

3 hours ago, BlueSkyy said:

I agree with you regarding the shortest path. As I mentioned in an earlier post, some albums require  the extra gain from a preamp. I don’t know if it is  just my system, but I am curious how Jonas Starker Bach cello Mercury label sounds direct to the amp. For me, direct just can’t produce the volume. Let me know.

Hello, some questions (I currently have a U1 mini):

-Would it be possible to add Deezer Hifi / Elite to the lumin app ?

-where to find the new (IR) remote in Europe?

-is Chromecast built-in possible?

-1. upsampling and 2. transcoding to DSD is nice, would it be possible to add an 5-band EQ, and/or a compressor for basic room correction in-between 1. and 2. ?

Cheers

16 hours ago, DrNikonian said:

Which is the better option for my Lumin T1, in terms of sound quality:

There is no such truth. Music experience has a lot of personal influence that are not the same between us. My general experience is that a good preamplifier contributes to sound signature that you like or dislike. It also has other features to connect other sources. I use VTL TI 6.5 and I will not replace it. I chosed between VTL and Audio Research and VTL was more to my taste. Others do the opposite, so who is rigtht? Then you have the speakers, the room and your music taste to bring into the equation. You do not listen to Lumïn T1, you are listening to a system that play together.

My advice is to try find a dealer where you can do the test and to let your own ears decide what is best for you.

14 hours ago, chungjh said:

I agree with you regarding the shortest path. As I mentioned in an earlier post, some albums require  the extra gain from a preamp. I don’t know if it is  just my system, but I am curious how Jonas Starker Bach cello Mercury label sounds direct to the amp. For me, direct just can’t produce the volume. Let me know.

Sorry but I don't know or have access to that piece of music but I personally have had no experiences I can recall from having less than enough system volume going directly from the X1 (XLR) into the front end of the mono amps as attested to by knocks on the door by my neighbors and, on occassion, the local gendarmes and the protestations coming from my significant other two floors above.

My amplifier's input sensitivities are rated at 2.45V unbalanced and 4.9V balanced for 1200W (30.8dbW) output.

I use the Telarc offerings of "Bolero" and the "1812 Overture" and a version of Ralf Vaughn Williams "The Lark Ascending".  With Bolero, in particular, I have to crank the volume well above normal to properly enjoy the opening stanzas and, unless I ride the gain near the end, that's when the neighbors complain.

On 10/24/2020 at 3:55 AM, chungjh said:

For me, direct just can’t produce the volume.

I can give you an experimental firmware to increase the volume for Lumin X1 by 5dB.  Let me know by PM if you want to try it.  However, this won't get into standard firmware, so you may need to stay at this firmware if you choose to use it.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

On 10/23/2020 at 7:13 PM, BlueSkyy said:

I am using the Kramer VS-4X.  It's passive and well-built.  I contacted Manley and they will probably never manufacture an XLR version of their switch and that's too bad.

VS-4X.jpg

Hello,

I am thinking about a similar setup with my Lumin X1.

At the moment it is connected to my Aesthetix Calypso Eclipse Pre-amp.

I have tried it with HT bypass mode on the Calypso using the Leedh volume control on Lumin and I actually prefer it.

This means I am using my expensive preamp as an active switch right now....so I wonder if this Kramer passive switch does not degrade the sound quality I could use it and sell the Calypso.

Have you actually compared it vs Lumin drectly connected to the power amp, if so do you hear any difference in the sound quality?

13 minutes ago, kzs70 said:

Have you actually compared it vs Lumin drectly connected to the power amp, if so do you hear any difference in the sound quality?

Yes I have done that.  I wasn't able to perceive any difference in S.Q. and, although sometimes I am prone to confirmation bias, I can honestly say I can hear no difference in this lashup.  YMMV.

4 minutes ago, BlueSkyy said:

Yes I have done that.  I wasn't able to perceive any difference in S.Q. and, yes, sometimes I am prone to confirmation bias but I can honestly say I can hear no difference in this lashup.  YMMV.

This sounds very promising, I will try it too...Thanks!

Edit: it seems they only have 4x1 version, 4 inputs and 1 output.

Ideally I would need 2x2 or 4x2, as I have a headphone power amp too, so need 2 outputs. I have Googled it but have not found a switch like that...

4 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

@wklie hello Peter,

is there any way to display album liner notes (in pdf format), or any pdf file in the album folder, inside Lumïn app (iOS) using MinimServer?

This feature is available on Bubbleupnp but it is an Android only app and anyway I prefer Lumïn app much more ... really the best app ...

Thank you

I too would very much like this ability to read .pdf files

@wklie

Peter, I know this was probably raised before, but what are the chances for the firmware development team to at least consider/measure the implementation of NAA functionality? According to @Miska it is rather simplistic to implement the required libraries. I'm well aware that the market for such a feature would be nowhere close to i.e. Leedh, but I'm also sure that many here would appreciate even if it was considered and put on a long term roadmap. 

On 10/27/2020 at 2:34 AM, wklie said:

I can give you an experimental firmware to increase the volume for Lumin X1 by 5dB.  Let me know by PM if you want to try it.  However, this won't get into standard firmware, so you may need to stay at this firmware if you choose to use it.

Hi Pete

I may try your experimental firmware. I am trying to verify that I need the preamp to reach the volume level that I like. As I said, for practically all albums, I don't need the preamp to reach the volume of my choice. Compared to having my tube preamp (BAT Rex 2) between X1 and my amp (Pass Labs X250.8), the direct pathway sounds drier and not as engaging. But, I am still trying to confirm this.

4 hours ago, wklie said:

For the other requested features, I can only say those requests are noted.

Peter, are you referring to my previous NAA request as well? Thinking about it, I don't know of any high end streamer (other than the recent Aqua LinQ and Sonore Signature series) which supports NAA, and as such it could be a differentiation factor, but I'm also sure that your feature backlog is rather long.