IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

8 minutes ago, FIndingit said:

LUMIN app uses 4.66 Gb of memory on my iphone, that’s an awful lot of those small album cover images...

175MB here but I am not sure what's contained in Lumin's "Documents & Data".  I have over 1,200 albums and most have album art at least 1k x 1k resolution imbedded in each of the music files.

New firmware at 13.4a.  Oh goodie!

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

Flndingit's library must be huge!

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

On 12/27/2020 at 11:29 PM, rodrigaj said:

@wklie I've noticed that my Lumin U1 /  Lumin App (iOS iPad) combination becomes sluggish after I have streamed music (Primephonic Streaming Subscription) with Airplay. I believe this behavior also manifest itself after a Spotify Connect session.

For example, if I have updated my NAS Audio Library, it takes forever for the new addition to appear. Also, deleting tracks on the left side of the App,(i.e., an entire album) takes far longer than it should.

This is my work around: I power cycle the Lumin U1. The App returns to normal operation until my next Airplay session. I don't remember this kind of behavior before with my A1, although I am doing a lot more Airplay streaming these days. Any thoughts?

@wklie FWIW, it appears that a Refresh/Restart of Minimserver has fixed the problem. I've not been able to replicate it since I did that. Airplay in conjunction with Lumin App is working fine now.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

23 hours ago, BlueSkyy said:

Flndingit's library must be huge!

Was this for me?

If so, I have no issues at all. It is easier to find them on the app than in my shelves. All my albums are ripped CD's from my collection (took about two years) except for later purchased down load files. On the app they are sorted by artist, tune, genre, composer, year and so on that I can sort from This overview is impossible to have in the shelves. The more albums the more imoortant to gav good order.

I'm also picky on cover image quality. In most cases I have to google up images with higher resolution. Normally I put them 1000x1000.

5 minutes ago, Ropet said:

Was this for me?

No it was for nobody in particular.  My library is already so big, to me, that much of it I'll never listen to again.  I guess I may be a collector or hoarder of files.

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, Solstice380 said:

It’s really straightforward.  Just go through all of the settings and remember to to turn on any output you use / off that you don’t.  Enjoy!

LOL. Don't forget that you turned off the outputs. I was about to make a warranty claim for my U1 when I went to use my RCA SPDIF and nothing happened. I had been using BNC and made a change to the system. I remembered the option to turn off outputs just in time. I now have labels on the outputs that I have turned off, although I doubt I will ever make that mistake again.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

12 hours ago, musicguy said:

I should get my lumin u1 mini soon.  Any set up tips or tricks i should do?

In addition to turning off unused outputs, you may turn off Roon Ready if not using Roon, Spotify Connect if not using Spotify, and Lumin Streaming if not using AirPlay.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

1 hour ago, FIndingit said:

And while you're at it, turn off the display and the network lights behing the unit.

The blue display's technology on my old McIntosh MX-150 surround sound processor developed "wear" where segments of the display that were never or rarely used were dim in comparison to segments that were used often or were on all the time.

I am not sure if the display technology utilized by Lumin is the same as that used by McIntosh but, for that reason, I rarely have the display in my X1 on.

Maybe @wklie can tell us if the Lumin display is prone to this phenomenon or not and put my concerns to bed once and for all.

The screen is OLED and can have image burn under extreme circumstances. I went through a period (maybe a year) of switching off a load of electronics at night (including my network switch but not LUMIN) and I can now see a negative "Network error" text on the screen.
Unfortunately, I never noticed it was showing that message as the switch to turn everything off at night (and on again in the morning) was in a different room. Also, because I had been taking photos of the LUMIN screen, it was set to 'bright'. Oops.

Associated with LUMIN - The Audiophile Network Music Player.

Thanks for the confirmation and sorry to hear about your experience with the "Network Error" burn-in.  I think the old McIntosh blue display was some sort of dot matrix electro-luminescent technology.  I was so OCD, still am I guess, that I would cycle through all the display settings to energize all the unused segments (or dots) and it would eventually return to uniformity.

I will continue to keep the X1's display off and in the rare instances that I do have it on will keep it dim.

Fortunately, the Lumin display shows nothing that isn't on the in the Lumin App. If you listen to anything with a longish track title, such as classical music, it is even more annoying. I leave my U1 off all of the time, it's pretty useless to me.

2 hours ago, rodrigaj said:

Fortunately, the Lumin display shows nothing that isn't on the in the Lumin App. If you listen to anything with a longish track title, such as classical music, it is even more annoying. I leave my U1 off all of the time, it's pretty useless to me.

👍

1 hour ago, FIndingit said:

I firmly believe in “less leds, better sound”. 

👍

4 minutes ago, musicguy said:

Thanks for all  the tips.  As soon as Fed ex finds my lumin and delivery it.  Its been no movment for 4 days now?

That's scary.  The United States Post Office is much worse for local things or so it seems.  I just has a package delivered from Taiwan door to door in under three days.  A package that was mailed to me from about thirty miles away as the crow flies has been en-route for a little over a month now.

I hope your Lumin is not lost!