IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

Too much Scotch?  Just kidding!  Have a good week!

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

On 9/11/2020 at 10:55 PM, onethousandanswers said:

Hello I'm new to Lumin as well as to this site.

I recently purchased a used Lumin D1 with initial hopes of using if for streaming Tidal and later building in a networked drive for my FLAC files (which I used to access from a computer).

My problem is that the iPad app is not finding or recognizing my Lumin (the app is basically blank and under settings - choose your Lumin - there are no options). I've connected the D1 to the router and it's getting a signal. If unplugged it says network error. When plugged in it lists a song and artist which I'm guessing might be a remnant from the previous owner. The iPad is connected to the same network via a mesh wifi system (not sure if that makes a difference). 

I suspect that this question may already have come up in the 100+ pages of this thread but my searches haven't been very effective to date.

Many thanks for any help or suggestions.

Is there a HW reset button ?

58 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Is there a HW reset button ?

Yes.

Please power down the Lumin using the rear power switch.  Insert a pin into the reset hold in the rear, and hold it while you power on the D1.  Keep holding for 20 more seconds until you see some small text on the front panel.

But I'm quite sure the cause of @onethousandanswers 's issue is the network.  This is especially true with mesh.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

@wklie I just started using the IOS app. I was using the Andriod app prior.  With the IOS app, I do not see the Leedh processing logo on boot up.  This logo has always showed up during boot up with the Andriod app.  Can you tell me if this is normal with the IOS app.  I contacted Lumin directly and they did not address this issue properly. They stated that the Leedh logo show up at boot up, which I already knew, but did not address why it is not showing up with the IOS app, but does with the Andriod app.

Cheers

@wklie

Hello Peter,

I’m using Lumin app with great satisfaction and Minimserver as upnp server.

I’ve just realized that there is a little incongruity between Artists and Album Artist in the app.

When I open a track details I can see listed all the Artists (*) for the track but if I tap on one of them I receive a Not Found warning.

If I tap on the Artist icon (**)(the one as an half body) in the row of icons just above the albums window I find all the albums ordered by Album Artist, and doing a search I can find Album Artists only.

I could find a trick to solve this issue: I removed the AlbumArtist tag from the indexTag property in MinimServer and violà ... tapping on any Artist in the track details (*) I can now find the list of albums for that Artist.

This leads me to think that the app behavior could be:

if the AlbumArtist tag exists then it is stored under the Artis icon (**)

if the AlbumArtist tag doesn’t exist then the Artist tag is used

Am I right? ... this is the incongruity I was referring to.

But the trick I used seems to lead to a little bug: 

tapping on an Artist in the track details (*) bring to an incomplete list of albums, indeed if I use the Minimserver Artist “folder” I can retrieve more albums than listed in the other mode, but not always (!!!)

I hope I was understandable, the explanation is a bit complicated

thank you

edit .... forgot to specify that I’m using the last version  of Lumin app on iPad 5gen. iPadOS 14 (was the same on iPadOS 13.xx)

Stefano

My audio system

According to our product manager, this is by design.  AlbumArtist and Artist are different tags.  If you're in album view and search by using track Artist (as a search string), it tries to find the AlbumArtist but if you have no matching AlbumArtist it will result in Not Found.

As a workaround, you may try setting Lumin app option Group Album by Song Artist instead of the default Group Album by Album Artist.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

On 9/24/2020 at 7:51 AM, chungjh said:

What preamp and amp do you use downstream of X1?

I use a Marantz Reference Series SC-7S2 preamp and two (mono) MA-9S2 amps; Tannoy Kensington SE speakers. Together with Lumin X1, a harmonious marriage.

--

Wouldn't you really rather have a Lumin?

brw,

Do you not find that preamp degrades SQ compared to X1 LEEDH direct into amp? I am debating whether I should sell my preamp. Other than the convenience of a remote, the preamp doesn't seem to be making much SQ difference.

I would be curious how many Lumin X1 users use direct to amp. Anyone?

I go direct.  I wouldn't have it any other way but I would not get rid of my preamp due to the need to listen to other devices from time to time.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

2 hours ago, chungjh said:

Has anyone replaced the stock fuse with a high end fuse like SR orange on X1? Does it REALLY make a difference?

Only you can decide these things in your system, I would recommend giving the orange fuse a shot though, as they are returnable fo you do not like what they do.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

@Chungjh

It depends upon the rest of your system and how it interacts with your room and the sound balance you prefer.

My system uses ESL speakers and a DSP instead of crossovers (active or passive) and with this comes the ability to perform live room analysis with a microphone to tune the response to the room.

My system has been built having the preamp in place.

Taking it out of circuit and using LeedH on my X1 resulted in a pretty boring sound.

It sucked the life out of it.

I use an EAR 868 PL tube preamp which has served me very well for years.

I am upgrading to an EAR 912 for the superior phono stage.

Both preamps have transformers in the output stage, the same as the X1/S1.

I source incredibly rare NOS pinched-waist tubes and use these in both the phono and line stages.

With a preamp like this the sound is alive and real.

With LeedH it is not very involving and just kinda flat and digital.

ESL speakers + tube amps are a preferred combination amongst analog lovers, especially for the liquid midrange.

If you have experienced this, then you know what I'm talking about.

On 12/29/2012 at 5:56 AM, Jsmith said:

Re: Lumin players: quote: "If the DAC section is so good it is a shame there are not more inputs...."

The answer is there, if you search for it.

I subscribe to Quobuz.

I also have a Naim Core which I ripped my CD collection to, and this is found automatically on my network by Roon, which then feeds my Lumin player.

I don't even have to choose which source to use, or switch between them.

Roon seamlessly integrates all of my music, on my Core, or through Qobuz, or any digital downloads that I have saved, into one digital collection.

I don't need to use the Naim, Qobuz or Lumin apps. I just set them all to my required settings, then I sit back and use Roon to control my listening.

So the combination of Roon and a Lumin player actually gives you more inputs, as well as the benefits of using Roon itself.

13 hours ago, barrows said:

Only you can decide these things in your system, I would recommend giving the orange fuse a shot though, as they are returnable fo you do not like what they do.

They are returnable if one lives in the US. Let’s not forget the international audience of this forum. 

Say NO to ROON

26 minutes ago, FIndingit said:

They are returnable if one lives in the US. Let’s not forget the international audience of this forum. 

Seriously?  How unfortunate for the rest of the world.  I have a message in to S.R. to determine exactly that as a friend of mine in Kyiv, Ukraine, wants to know the answer to this.

I just updated to iOS 14.0.1 and when I launched the Lumin app the first thing it did was ask, and I paraphrase, "if it could look at my network to find devices".

Is this typical and something I just failed to see in the past or is this something the iOS is doing?