IGNORED

Article: The Dark Side of the Moon in Dolby TrueHD Atmos

28 minutes ago, bobfa said:

This is the first ATMOS album I have listened to on my AirPods Pro 2, showing what Apple has done with its hardware and software.  It is also very cool on the M1 MacBook Air Speakers!

This work thing has gotten in the road of a listen on the 7.1.4 system.    Maybe just a taste before bed!

That taste could turn into a 10 song taste. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

This is sold out just about everywhere online at the original price ($280 US).  Lots of sets still available ... at $400 and up :/  but I'm not paying that LOL.

Taking the poor man's way out and listening to the compressed Atmos stream via Apple Music - sounds wonderful.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Wow! Thank you for this excellent and comprehensive review. Finally, I found someone who truly appreciates new sound formats like Dolby Atmos and recognizes how this format can transform the listening experience not only in movies but also in music. While there are many reviews on the internet focusing on different aspects of this newest Pink Floyd release, not many seems to be highlighting the best aspect, which is the one Blu-ray with Atmos mix. If any album deserves the best immersive sound format, it is this one, given the incredible sound effects and deeper meaning behind these epic compositions.

I am also pleased to hear that the Blu-ray disc sounds much better than streaming. When I listened to the Atmos version on Apple Music, I was not impressed at all. While I noticed fantastic positioning of instruments and sound effects in space around me, the entire album sounded dull and lacked dynamic range on Apple Music. In contrast, the surround version on my ASCD from 2003 sounds twice as dynamic and vivid. Therefore, I am thrilled to hear that the Atmos disc version of the 50th anniversary release sounds fantastic.

Once again, thank you for your review. I am confident that it will help many readers decide whether to purchase this very expensive release. It certainly helped me in my decision-making process.

sorry if this is a dumb question… is it easy/ possible to rip the 24/192 stereo mix from the Blu-ray disc ? 

My home ripping experiences so far are limited to CDs using a drive that can read CD, DVD-A I assume, but probably not BluRay. I only have a BluRay player.

Dont want to take this thread off topic so happy if anybody can advise by direct message if it’s a bit complicated….

(I have just ordered the box set and pickup tomorrow)

Grimm Mu-1 > Mola Mola Makua/DAC > Luxman m900u > Vivid Audio Kaya 90

19 hours ago, Miro said:

Wow! Thank you for this excellent and comprehensive review. Finally, I found someone who truly appreciates new sound formats like Dolby Atmos and recognizes how this format can transform the listening experience not only in movies but also in music. While there are many reviews on the internet focusing on different aspects of this newest Pink Floyd release, not many seems to be highlighting the best aspect, which is the one Blu-ray with Atmos mix. If any album deserves the best immersive sound format, it is this one, given the incredible sound effects and deeper meaning behind these epic compositions.

I am also pleased to hear that the Blu-ray disc sounds much better than streaming. When I listened to the Atmos version on Apple Music, I was not impressed at all. While I noticed fantastic positioning of instruments and sound effects in space around me, the entire album sounded dull and lacked dynamic range on Apple Music. In contrast, the surround version on my SACD from 2003 sounds twice as dynamic and vivid. Therefore, I am thrilled to hear that the Atmos disc version of the 50th anniversary release sounds fantastic.

Once again, thank you for your review. I am confident that it will help many readers decide whether to purchase this very expensive release. It certainly helped me in my decision-making process.

15 hours ago, krass said:

sorry if this is a dumb question… is it easy/ possible to rip the 24/192 stereo mix from the Blu-ray disc ? 

My home ripping experiences so far are limited to CDs using a drive that can read CD, DVD-A I assume, but probably not BluRay. I only have a BluRay player.

Dont want to take this thread off topic so happy if anybody can advise by direct message if it’s a bit complicated….

(I have just ordered the box set and pickup tomorrow)

This is an old guide by Chris, but it still works on modern systems

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I went to my local record store yesterday looking for goodies and he has one copy of this left.  But it is (gulp) $329.  Is that Atmos mix really worth THAT much?  I mean, I already have an original MoFi DSOTM that I bought new in the 80's and the multichannel SACD mixed by Guthrie. I am only lacking the 4.1 Parsons mix. Is that included in this set too?

image.thumb.jpeg.a4a84e289e35c7e49a6d3042fc9b2a99.jpeg

I had written off the idea of getting the box set but was prompted by the great review to look on Amazon again to get the Atmos mix. They had one in the Amazon Warehouse at a great price and it arrived today in better shape than I expected. It had been opened but the box and contents were still ok. I'm looking forward to having a listen at the weekend.

21 hours ago, scintilla said:

I went to my local record store yesterday looking for goodies and he has one copy of this left.  But it is (gulp) $329.  Is that Atmos mix really worth THAT much?  I mean, I already have an original MoFi DSOTM that I bought new in the 80's and the multichannel SACD mixed by Guthrie. I am only lacking the 4.1 Parsons mix. Is that included in this set too?

No - the quad mix has been left out from this box, its available in the Immersion box from some years back, it  is of course expensive - but I must say the Atmos mix is worth it to me - and I own any available digital format of this amazing album already! The Atmos is the best of them alll - amazingly good…

Guthrie uses every channel in my 7.1.4 system, at the right time. 

I know it may be too complex an answer for here, but can you point me to an explanation/discussion about how this is all encoded?

I know TrueHD is capable of using objects with metadata and your processor figures out the decoding to place the object in space, but I don't understand how the channels works. When you say it uses all my 7.1.4  channels , does that mean it is hard encoded with  12 channels, or that your processor decodes it and uses however many channels are available? So if you had 7.1.6 or 9.1.6 would it use all 14 or 16, or would it still be 12 channels because it is encoded with 12 channels?

you see a question on various forums where somebody asks something like "how many channels does Apple TV Atmos stream" or "how many channels is Netflix Atmos" so in the same vein, how many channels are encoded in this TrueHD mix? .. and I can't find a good answer. 

thanks

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768

9 minutes ago, bbosler said:

I know it may be too complex an answer for here, but can you point me to an explanation/discussion about how this is all encoded?

I know TrueHD is capable of using objects with metadata and your processor figures out the decoding to place the object in space, but I don't understand how the channels works. When you say it uses all my 7.1.4  channels , does that mean it is hard encoded with  12 channels, or that your processor decodes it and uses however many channels are available? So if you had 7.1.6 or 9.1.6 would it use all 14 or 16, or would it still be 12 channels because it is encoded with 12 channels?

you see a question on various forums where somebody asks something like "how many channels does Apple TV Atmos stream" or "how many channels is Netflix Atmos" so in the same vein, how many channels are encoded in this TrueHD mix? .. and I can't find a good answer. 

thanks

Here are some screenshots showing the output. I appears that the TrueHD Atmos only sends audio to 12 channels (7.1.4), using the official Dolby decoder. 

These shots were taken at random times, so ignore the output level. I sampled the entire album randomly and the channel output was identical in all testing (not talking about volume of course). 

7.1.4.png

9.1.4.png

9.1.6.png

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png