Thank you, but there is no antenna there it is a metal case for the radios.  The antenna is on the PCB next to the radios.  This is a pi 3 

1F4D0BA7-FDE6-45C2-AFC9-C6C91C565C23.jpeg.0ed0bd6031545f51cc698838b3487cdd.jpeg

I am not using the radios on this server anyway.  Here is a video about external antennas, with Pi4 images.

I am measured the temperatures this morning with that fan on.  Way too noisy for me.  The CPU and RAM are at 85F the daughter board is 75F, ambient surface temperatures are around 65F. I unplugged the fan and we will see.

This is a huge experiment, to use my existing 4TB music drive and to get a different power connection method. 

5 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Just getting to the video now. I love it Bob. I could watch this all day. Your tidbits added as you assemble the unit are great. I've already learned a few things. Whats more, this is all for HiFi. So cool. 

Thanks so much Bob. 

Chris,

Thank you, since doing the build last evening we did some listening today with interesting results, that I will report on later.  I have been taking the Pi4's temperature in different configurations which are inconclusive now.  I with passive cooling I am between 35-45C when running and the ambient is around 20C.  There will be a bunch more to report on.  I am planning a second video here shortly with the Argon40 v1 case with m.2 SATA SSD.

I have to get some real work done this evening!!  Too much audio fun.

IMG_1280.thumb.jpeg.4a723f0bd78a03da1e0cd581640675ac.jpeg

A few days ago, I finished a build of the Raspberry Pi server streamer.  This variant is built into a different variant of the Argon 40 case.  This model can mount a SATA m.2 drive.

https://www.argon40.com/argon-one-m-2-case-for-raspberry-pi-4.html

For this,  PiCorePlayer is running both LMS and Squeezelite.  There is a 1tb SATA drive and a Pi4 4gb RAM in the case.  I have been testing using the Farad Super 3 power supply and an UpTone USPCB connected an SRC-DX DDC for my Heavenly Soundworks FiveSeventeen speakers.

Here is a picture of the setup using my other Argon One case running Squeezelite only.

IMG_1304.thumb.jpeg.78cc9bce28f315d8a86a33ec663cefaa.jpeg

I have tested this configuration in both my system and a very high-end system at a local dealer with great success.

------

Here is a quick summary of build cost:

$55 Raspberry Pi 4 (pishop.us

$45 Argon40 Argon One m.2 case

$80 SATA m.2 SSD. NOT NVME!  (Samsung is almost twice the price, I bought it anyway)

$15 MicroSD card for boot

Free PiCorePlayer Software 

$6?? iPeng for iOS 

$800 Farad Super 3 Power Supply

$35. UpTone USPCB

$495.  SRC-DX

$30 Bluejeans Digital Cable

--------

I did not shoot a build video of this.  Here is a pretty good one that shows assembly and running the desktop os. 

You can ignore all the talk about desktop OS in this case we are using PiCorePlayer.

I will work on a video to set up PiCorePlayer shortly.

Forgive my potentially dumb question, but the pi4 server (that you built up) and the pi4 with the display aren't talking to each other, at least in the video correct?  IOW, the pi4 display server wasn't needing/getting any music/data from the pi4 server, it was playing internet radio on its own?

My rig

I have built three different configurations using the Pi4 and have been running PiCorePlayer on the Allo USBridge Sig devices, all with great success. I am EXTREMELY pleased with the sound quality I have been able to achieve.  The speakers I am using are the Heavenly Soundworks Five Seventeen have  an S/PDIF input that I am using.

I have tested the following endpoint  configurations:

Rating    Configuration

** 1/2              USBridge Sig + Shanti + SRC-DX

****                USBridge Sig + Farad + SRC-DX

**                   USBridge Sig  + DigiOne Signature + Shanti

**** 1/2          USBridge Sig  + DigiOne Signature + Shanti on Pi + Farad on DigiOne

**                   Pi4 + Shanti + SRC-DX

****               Pi4 + Farad + SCR-DX

I have tried a couple of LMS server configurations.

Rating              Configuration

**                     Intel NUC +Windows + Stock power Supply

***                   PI 4 8 GB RAM +PiCorePlayer + Pi Wall Wart.

*****                PI 4 8 GB RAM +PiCorePlayer + HDPLEX 200 + upgraded DC and AC cabling.

I really wish I had two 5 V rails from a Sean Jacobs Power Supply to test with @Nenon can I get a loaner 😇🎉???

NOTE, I am using Ethernet for the connections.  No special cabling.

FYI - if you're still having your Adnaco-S3B mentioned below

https://audiophilestyle.com/blogs/entry/805-adnaco-s3b-usb-3020-over-fiber-optic-extension-system/

Maybe that could also work with this Compute Module 4 carrier board (with PCIe slot) if the Linux kernel were able to support NEC / Renasys µPD720201 / µPD720202 USB 3.0 host controller

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=648376737969

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002870630578.html

https://www.waveshare.com/compute-module-4-poe-board-b.htm

That seemed to be a good candidate according to this particular database

https://pipci.jeffgeerling.com/#usb-cards

https://github.com/geerlingguy/raspberry-pi-pcie-devices/issues/103

https://github.com/geerlingguy/raspberry-pi-pcie-devices/blob/master/_cards_usb/renesas-UPD720201-usb3-6amlifestyle.md

IMHO it really looked like lots of fun

https://github.com/markusj/upd72020x-load/issues/15

This is interesting!  I am running with two Pi devices server + streamer in the LMS + Squeezelite software configuration.

I am working on some network isolation ideas.  The current configuration is rather in-expensive!  

The CM4 firmware is not stable, and the hardware is impossible to get right now.  Now down the road, ...

RJF

On 10/2/2021 at 6:16 PM, bobfa said:

I have built three different configurations using the Pi4 and have been running PiCorePlayer on the Allo USBridge Sig devices, all with great success. I am EXTREMELY pleased with the sound quality I have been able to achieve.  The speakers I am using are the Heavenly Soundworks Five Seventeen have  an S/PDIF input that I am using.

I have tested the following endpoint  configurations:

Rating    Configuration

** 1/2              USBridge Sig + Shanti + SRC-DX

****                USBridge Sig + Farad + SRC-DX

**                   USBridge Sig  + DigiOne Signature + Shanti

**** 1/2          USBridge Sig  + DigiOne Signature + Shanti on Pi + Farad on DigiOne

**                   Pi4 + Shanti + SRC-DX

****               Pi4 + Farad + SCR-DX

I have tried a couple of LMS server configurations.

Rating              Configuration

**                     Intel NUC +Windows + Stock power Supply

***                   PI 4 8 GB RAM +PiCorePlayer + Pi Wall Wart.

*****                PI 4 8 GB RAM +PiCorePlayer + HDPLEX 200 + upgraded DC and AC cabling.

I really wish I had two 5 V rails from a Sean Jacobs Power Supply to test with @Nenon can I get a loaner 😇🎉???

NOTE, I am using Ethernet for the connections.  No special cabling.

I want to update the above chart.  I made a rating error.

The best sound so fare is the USBridge Sig. To the SRC-DX with the Farad power supply.  Coming in a close second is using the DigiOne Signature.   A/B of this is hard as it is both a hardware and software setup change.

The USBridge Sig is an excellent sound quality value.

Oh! And I have not started tweaking yet.:  https://soundcheck-audio.blogspot.com

• 3 weeks later...

I have made a couple of changes in the system over the month.  First I pulled the SRC-DX out and put my MUTEC MC-3 USB in place. The USBridge Sig is now Powered with a Shanti.  I am using a Mogami AES cable to the speakers and I have the Lush^3 with the community new favorite settings :

"This must be the longest "review" I experienced ever. Say that from day one I loved it, but it is so good that it seems "wrong".
But I now finally decided to come forward with it.

A:W-Y-R-G, B:W-G

This is from July 17 (2021).
It was handed by a nice man Roberto Herrera and he plays music himself. He and his band, also record music and to me it sounds as the finest recordings."

Thanks @PeterSt

I have also added one set of DX Engineering ISO-PLUS RF isolators between the switch in the basement and the Allo USBridge Sig on the Living Room.

Thanks for that one @One and a half  🥰

Finally, I put the Farad Super 3 on the LMS server.

I am waiting on a second order of ISO-PLUS filters for the Headphone system, and the Ham Radio Computer!

73 KE9A

That is a neat-looking case!  My LMS server has a daughterboard that attaches to the bottom of the Pi.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086GST5K6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

The neat thing about this board is that the power to the Pi comes through the board, so there is a single DC barrel connector. I bought their plastic case that has a fan on it.  I dumped the fan and left the sides off.  Standing on end with the heat sinks on the Pi, I am running around 35C on everything.  

Bob,

Thank you for posting your Pi4/LMS/SATA DIY Server build video.

This is exactly the project I have been looking for.

Building a top fuel dragster pc/server to idle (0-1% cpu) to and from the grocery store (Roon) just does not sit well with my minimal effective dose way of thinking.

Although mConnect works well and with Qobuz Connect nowhere in sight, I'm hoping the Pi4/LMS/SATA combo will be the solution that fits the bill.

I look forward to your video on setting up piCorePlayer and the SATA storage device.  I understand the Windows OS very well, Linux not so much.

51 minutes ago, SlimPickins said:

Bob,

Thank you for posting your Pi4/LMS/SATA DIY Server build video.

This is exactly the project I have been looking for.

Building a top fuel dragster pc/server to idle (0-1% cpu) to and from the grocery store (Roon) just does not sit well with my minimal effective dose way of thinking.

Although mConnect works well and with Qobuz Connect nowhere in sight, I'm hoping the Pi4/LMS/SATA combo will be the solution that fits the bill.

I look forward to your video on setting up piCorePlayer and the SATA storage device.  I understand the Windows OS very well, Linux not so much.

I am working on a full writeup of builds for both server and streamer.  Mostly written.  I was referred to a blog that covers setup of this software and more.  It makes this whole thing really easy.  I will finish the writeup shortly and work with Chris to see what the best way to merge threads or something.  Note that the setup is 99% done in the web browser.  I am thinking about a live YouTube where I do this.  It may be better to point this thread at the new one which will be from the beginning.

Believe me you will be very happy with this setup.  Give me 24/48 hours to figure out how I am going to publish this.  I think it will be more like my build threads from a couple  of years ago.  

Bob,

Your use of LMS prompted me to give it a try again and I’m loving it. I see you also use the Material skin, have you had much luck managing Qobuz favorites with the Material skin? I haven’t been able to figure this out. BTW, I have a pi2aes running ropieexl using AES out into my yggy powered by a sotm sps-500 and love the sound.

25 minutes ago, sjj said:

Bob,

Your use of LMS prompted me to give it a try again and I’m loving it. I see you also use the Material skin, have you had much luck managing Qobuz favorites with the Material skin? I haven’t been able to figure this out. BTW, I have a pi2aes running ropieexl using AES out into my yggy powered by a sotm sps-500 and love the sound.

I am glad it helped.  You have a really nice little setup!  

I have a bunch more info coming.  There is a lot of great info out there on LMS + Squeezelite.

I am VERY interested in the pi2aes.  I have one on order, and I think the last batch.  I am very interested in their CM4 streamer.

I am running PiCorePlayer and like the SQ.  You might try flashing a microSD card with it and testing that.  There are some exciting adjustments to Squeezelite that sound good.  So much to write about.   I am working with @The Computer Audiophile to try to get this all in one place.  I do things terribly out of order sometimes.  

I have not played with adjusting Qobuz favorites in LMS I will try it this week.

11 hours ago, bobfa said:

I am working on a full writeup of builds for both server and streamer.  Mostly written.  I was referred to a blog that covers setup of this software and more.  It makes this whole thing really easy.  I will finish the writeup shortly and work with Chris to see what the best way to merge threads or something.  Note that the setup is 99% done in the web browser.  I am thinking about a live YouTube where I do this.  It may be better to point this thread at the new one which will be from the beginning.

Believe me you will be very happy with this setup.  Give me 24/48 hours to figure out how I am going to publish this.  I think it will be more like my build threads from a couple  of years ago.  

Bob, I always found the RPI devices to sound dirty for USB out, wasn't happy with them or the NUC's ( always using an LPS) after having lived with the much cleaner

(but slow) microRendu.

Am using this device now as endpoint after a recommendation by Miska, only complaint is that for Stylus endpoint it doesn't have enough RAM

for load to RAM or for 768/24  up-sampled files. Works fine for everything else as various endpoint at all sample rates . Runs at 5v DC!

https://up-shop.org/up-gateway-atom-x5-z8350-w-4g-memory-32g-emmc-board-w-vesa-plate.html

Will likely purchase an upgraded model when they come back into stock, you get a slightly faster Atom processor and 8GB memory size

so that my Stylus problems with PGGB 768/24 up-sampled file sizes will be eliminated. Also runs at 5V DC.

https://up-shop.org/up-squared-edge-8gb-ram.html

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

1 hour ago, bobfa said:

I have a bunch more info coming.  There is a lot of great info out there on LMS + Squeezelite.

I am VERY interested in the pi2aes.  I have one on order, and I think the last batch.  I am very interested in their CM4 streamer.

I am running PiCorePlayer and like the SQ.  You might try flashing a microSD card with it and testing that.  There are some exciting adjustments to Squeezelite that sound good.  So much to write about.   I am working with @The Computer Audiophile to try to get this all in one place.  I do things terribly out of order sometimes.  

I have not played with adjusting Qobuz favorites in LMS I will try it this week.

Trying PiCorePlayer now. Have you tried iPeng? was wondering if it’s worth trying or if the Material skin is better?

1 hour ago, davide256 said:

Bob, I always found the RPI devices to sound dirty for USB out, wasn't happy with them or the NUC's ( always using an LPS) after having lived with the much cleaner

(but slow) microRendu.

I have been VERY happy with the Pi4.  With PiCorePlayer and some software tweaks it is amazing to me.

On 11/1/2021 at 10:18 AM, bobfa said:

Bob, now that I have started to use LMS again I’m looking forward to your experience with adjustments to Squeezelite.