Newb questions @ the 20,000 foot level.

It appears that the OS/Software package that gets loaded onto the SD Card is the same package for both the LMS and the Streamer? This package contains both the OS and the required Apps? Then use the settings to configure what services you want to use on the device?

How do you load your music files onto the LMS? You setup a network share point and map to that from you PC and copy files?

What controls playback? Use your PC browser to access the streamer? Use an Apple/Android device to access the streamer? Is there a corresponding Apple/Android App, or just use the browser?

Looks like a pretty straight forward project.

THX

FYI - here's a nice introduction to the Logitech Media Server / Squeezelite combo while the Linux flavor here is called piCorePlayer

A short film about the Raspberry Pi as music streamer AND server

https://darko.audio/2020/07/a-short-film-about-the-raspberry-pi-as-music-streamer-and-server/

5 more thoughts on the Pi-Squeeze server/streamer

https://darko.audio/2020/07/5-more-thoughts-on-the-squeeze-pi-server-streamer/

If you're having access to TIDAL as well, then here's yet another related video

A short film about Tidal Connect on the Raspberry Pi

https://darko.audio/2021/05/a-short-film-about-tidal-connect-on-the-raspberry-pi/

piCorePlayer 8.0.0 with TIDAL Connect could be downloaded here

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F2PvoO7UIDdPVYdmlmHozNkeWNtalB5k/view

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=vt&u=https://www.hdvietnam.com/threads/raspberry-pi-rune-audio-mot-trai-nghiem-nghe-nhac-moi.1174389/page-1128#post-10606735

Recently Bob also shared his experiences as follows

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/bits-and-bytes/diy-music-server-and-streamer-for-the-audio-hobbyist-r1060/

Most topics should be covered by Bob's article already.

1 hour ago, BigBoreFan said:

Newb questions @ the 20,000 foot level.

It appears that the OS/Software package that gets loaded onto the SD Card is the same package for both the LMS and the Streamer?

The RPi can be set up for both LMS & the Squeezelite streamer or either - see piCorePlayer distro website (scroll down & select the various options' 'More' links for further info which should answer all your other questions):

https://www.picoreplayer.org/index.html

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have two Rasperry Pi 4b 4 gig units running Picore player and lms server following your lead.  My problem is the player wont let me set up usb audio out.  It "sulks" if I turn off the internal headphones, or try to populate any fields.  hw:CARD=AudioDOP2,DEV=0 was recommended, but this doesn't work.  My target DAC is an RME ADI-2 FS which has excellent diagnostics.  Do I need the DAC plugged in at Pi boot or can I plug it in later?  I am running both Version seven and 8.1 64bit, neither works.  Both play audio through the headphone out so I am getting the player working.
Any help appreciated. Peter.

Usually there's really not much help one could get whenever we see something along the lines of "doesn't work" due to the fact that telepathy / mind reading from a distance might be "somewhat difficult" to say the least.

Access piCorePlayer via ssh
https://docs.picoreplayer.org/how-to/access_pcp_via_ssh/

Here are quite a few things that we could try and they'll provide us some hints that are necessary for troubleshooting

lsusb

aplay -l

cat /etc/asound.conf

dmesg|grep USB

As always there's a little something called "learning curve" and hopefully that ain't too much of a challenge here.

1 hour ago, reprap said:

Hi, I have two Rasperry Pi 4b 4 gig units running Picore player and lms server following your lead.  My problem is the player wont let me set up usb audio out.  It "sulks" if I turn off the internal headphones, or try to populate any fields.  hw:CARD=AudioDOP2,DEV=0 was recommended, but this doesn't work.  My target DAC is an RME ADI-2 FS which has excellent diagnostics.  Do I need the DAC plugged in at Pi boot or can I plug it in later?  I am running both Version seven and 8.1 64bit, neither works.  Both play audio through the headphone out so I am getting the player working.
Any help appreciated. Peter.

501062564_ScreenShot2021-12-18at4_59_01PM.thumb.png.4211a653cca21a33274176055fb25a17.png

Make sure you uncheck the built-in audio.  It is in Squeezelite settings -> Card Control. Make sure to reboot after with the DAC plugged in.  Then click in the output settings to select the output.  You need that reboot after the Card Control change 

I think that if you plug a DAC in after boot it will be found also, I just like to have it there on startup.   I have one of my systems on remotely controlled power and sometimes Squeezlite gets confused on startup and I have to reboot the Pi.  Not only that, but I dislike leaving my Ayre Codex running all the time.

Thanks for your help so far.  It seems that squeezelight does a checksum or compile thing, and wont start if it sees an error.
I have carefully followed Klause's notes and try to reproduce his settings as best I can.

I am inclined to fill in the fewest fields  to reduce the number of possible variables that could be critical.
Perhaps you could show me your setup, so I can get a better idea.
Thanks Peter.

Hi again.
Grep usb shows that the Pi player sees my Dac and Sotm at the USB port, so the problem isn't low level communications.

The ADI is showing USB conn 768 2/2

So the pi is talking to the ADI ok.

My problem seems to be a software config issue.
This is progress.
Where should I look next?
Thanks, Peter.

[75748.162980] usb 1-1.4: new high-speed USB device number 5 using xhci_hcd

[75748.263901] usb 1-1.4: New USB device found, idVendor=20b1, idProduct=2102, bcdDevice= 3.3d

[75748.263912] usb 1-1.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3

[75748.263918] usb 1-1.4: Product: SOtM USB Audio 2.0

[75748.263923] usb 1-1.4: Manufacturer: SOtM 

[75748.263928] usb 1-1.4: SerialNumber: 0000

[75748.741430] usbcore: registered new interface driver snd-usb-audio

[76044.171118] usb 1-1.4: USB disconnect, device number 5

[76046.442957] usb 1-1.4: new high-speed USB device number 6 using xhci_hcd

[76046.543617] usb 1-1.4: New USB device found, idVendor=2a39, idProduct=3fd3, bcdDevice= 0.01

[76046.543624] usb 1-1.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3

[76046.543629] usb 1-1.4: Product: ADI-2 DAC (52973492)

[76046.543634] usb 1-1.4: Manufacturer: RME

[76046.543639] usb 1-1.4: SerialNumber: 3A7BF49F10E3CC8

If what is happening to you is the same thing as I have seen.

I have disabled built in audio and rebooted with the DAC connected. Go back into Squeezelite settings:

969079694_ScreenShot2021-12-19at6_49_19AM.thumb.png.d3bb178303eb8041f3a6b5af47b22be6.png

Click on the more>   next to the output settings, and you should see your DAC.  If you need more, we can figure out a way to help further. Please note that the above settings are on my LMS server not a working endpoint.  I will be working on one of my endpoints later today so I can grab a screen shot of it too.

Hi Bob, My system is now running very well, thanks again.
I have two small problems though.
The first is the Dac isn't seen on reboot, so Suueezelight doesnt start.  If I hot plug it when the system is running, then it works.  Is there a fix for that?
The second problem is the usb disk for the server.
I am using small thumb drives at present while waiting to get a big ssd.
I format them as fat 32, using an Imac with disk tools for the job.  This worked for the first drive, but the second drive isnt being seen as a disc for my music library.  Am I missing something like loading some small file so the drive is seen?
Thanks Peter.

For several reasons I am using NTFS on my 4TB external drive.  As a Guess you could try to installing additional file systems in the LMS menu.   There is more info here:

https://docs.picoreplayer.org/projects/build-simple-lms-server/?

I do not understand why your DAC is not found on reboot.  That is weird.  You could try to change the DAC string to the plughw or the front and see if that works.

You might ask over on the slim server forum if you are still stuck.

RJF

Hi Bob, I unplugged the USB lead from the RME Dac and moved it to the Pontus.  The result:  the speaker protection on my amp tripped.  I'm keeping the Pontus away from the Pi for a while. :(
A quick multimeter test shows pi1 at 98v and pi2 at 106v above earth.  
Is it ok just to earth both pis? and if so where is best?  I know the cheap pi power packs are to blame, floating around half 240v supply.  (Sydney Australia)
Do you have any other tips on earthing my components.
I see you use Allo Shanti Power Supply for USBridge Sig in your headphone rig.
Are you using Nirvana or Shanti?
Thanks, and enjoy the holidays.
Peter.

I am not a licensed electrician.  But to me something seems really wrong,  I would be rather worried about electrical shock.  I do not know how AU power systems work but to have voltages like that inside of systems seems very odd.  I would work my way back from the wall sockets and see what I could find. 

My headphone system is in flux right now.  I was using a USBridge Signature  to a Lyr3  with a Shanti supply on the Allo.  

Bob

Hi Bob, It is a feature of unearthed Double insulated devices that they "float" at around half mains voltage.  Its not a fault, its a design limitation.  I am a retired broadcast engineer and taught electronics etc in our polytechnics for decades.  I used to amuse mu students by turning the room lights off and scratching the usb plug of an externally powered device against the metal case of a Mac pro.  Lots of small sparks.  Its not really a problem while everything floats.  Problems begin when something (Pontus) is properly earthed, and the Pis suddenly get a path to ground.
Which Shanti supplies are you using, Nirvana or Shanti or both.  I am inclined to getting a couple of Nirvanas because my dacs are all mains powered.
Thanks Peter.

That is wild.  In the USA with the 110v/220v system with a neutral things are almost always at zero V float.  I actually have hardware in my system at home to watch for neutral shift.  It can happen if you over load one side and pull the neutral up.

I have Allo Shanti supplies, and they are Excellent.  They also have a ground point on the case....  For $160USD they are a great buy.  You can upgrade the DC cabling and enhance them.  I have not tried it yet.

I have not tried the Nirvana.

Happy New Year Bob. , hope you and the family are well, and Santa was generous.
my system is going quite well. I have downloaded I have installed S-kit, and done lots of tweaks.
I am looking forward to upgrading my power supplies soon.
My Sotm has become the USB connection for my Pi player.  The Sotm has an earth lug that I have connected to mains earth eliminating the "stray float". It outputs USB to my RME Dac, and SPDIF to the Pontus.  All sounds very clear and natural.
All the best.
Peter.