IGNORED

Audirvana Studio

Off topic, but I just read this and perhaps of interest:

'Apple purchased the Shazam music recognition service a few years ago, and at WWDC this week, Apple announced that it is opening up the Shazam music recognition framework for developers. The Shazam music database is one of, if not the most, comprehensive music databases available. What this means is nearly instantaneous song / album recognition and automated retrieval of metadata (artist, album, etc.)'.

I assume Damien is aware of this.

47 minutes ago, Geoffrey Armstrong said:

I just got a message from Audirvana saying the new remote app for Studio will be released next week.

Same, I also got a message. I also read that we can get a 14 day extension to the trial once the remote app is released.  Seems you have to send an email to their support department and they will send a link with an extended trial.

3 hours ago, ilkeresmer said:

The sound is really amazing, i am getting really good analog sound with the Studio, i have Emm Labs XDS1 V3 DA2 Dac, just missing Remote and waiting it with passion :) , i get my subscription nothing need to wait :)

Ditto!

Also getting a really good analog sound out of my Empirical Audio ODSX & Interchange Network Renderer. It's quite amazing. Happily subscribed a couple days ago ;)

On 6/10/2021 at 6:38 AM, Teus said:

Perhaps you can try this: go to my account and disconnect Audirvana. Then start Audirvana again and login with your account. It solved my problem too.

I tried it and it has worked perfectly Thanks : )    I wish I would have asked a few weeks ago . I must have typed my email and password over 100 times the past few weeks hahaha 👍

My trial was running out tomorrow so I took the plunge and purchased the discounted 1st year subscription. 

I still would have preferred to test the remote app, but as a desktop version 1.4 it is actually quite stable on my Macbook now, so I give Damien the benefit of doubt in spite of the initial Musicbrainz analysis disaster. 

1 hour ago, Musicophile said:

My trial was running out tomorrow so I took the plunge and purchased the discounted 1st year subscription. 

Did you compare 3.5 and AS regarding SQ or musicality?

Thanks

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

2 hours ago, matthias said:

Did you compare 3.5 and AS regarding SQ or musicality?

Thanks

Matt

Very early on I noticed a somewhat more "analog" sound of AS 1.0 vs. 3.5. I particularly like the sound of the new upsampling algorithm, r8brain, which I use a lot for redbook as my DAC is performing better at 88khz and above. Is it night and day? Clearly no, but good enough for me. But as my avatar implies, I may not be a 100% audiophile in the first place. 

Tried to upload this to the Audirvana forum but it won't allow me to attach the video capture.

What the hell IS this?

The only way to end it is to use ctrl+alt+del, as there doesn't actually seem to be an "exit" menu item anywhere and the "x" in the upper righthand corner appears to be disabled. 

Sorry, but Studio is just way, way, way too buggy right now to be the Roon replacement that I seek. 

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

@Mike Rubin, what version are you using? I had that type of behavior with the original release of Studio, 1.0. It stopped here with the first update.

System: Fedilizer Pro>Pareto Audio Server with both Audiolinux (Roon) and W10 (Audirvana Studio) OS's, currently using W10 (control via remote desktop with laptop)> Original (2015) Sonore Signature Series, BNC/SPDIF > Yggdrasil A2 > Pass Labs XA100 Monoblocks > Triton Reference Speakers (modified) >Tweeked CiscoSG110D-08 LAN Switch. Cabling: Canare LV-77S SPDIF, Kimber KS2026 XLR interconnects, Kimber KS3035 Speaker wires.

17 minutes ago, Boleary3 said:

@Mike Rubin, what version are you using? I had that type of behavior with the original release of Studio, 1.0. It stopped here with the first update.

1.3.  “Check for update” says it’s the latest.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

Mike, how much memory in your NUC? I'm using 32 gig in my W10 server; I wonder if that makes a difference to the stability of the Studio display?

System: Fedilizer Pro>Pareto Audio Server with both Audiolinux (Roon) and W10 (Audirvana Studio) OS's, currently using W10 (control via remote desktop with laptop)> Original (2015) Sonore Signature Series, BNC/SPDIF > Yggdrasil A2 > Pass Labs XA100 Monoblocks > Triton Reference Speakers (modified) >Tweeked CiscoSG110D-08 LAN Switch. Cabling: Canare LV-77S SPDIF, Kimber KS2026 XLR interconnects, Kimber KS3035 Speaker wires.

1 hour ago, Boleary3 said:

Mike, how much memory in your NUC? I'm using 32 gig in my W10 server; I wonder if that makes a difference to the stability of the Studio display?

I have Studio installed not on the NUC, but, instead, on a Dell XPS8930 i7 with 32gb RAM and 4gb VRAM on a dedicated Nvidia video card.  That should be more than enough horsepower for audio applications.

I've only used the trial version of AS sporadically but every session has ended with  a crash or a hang - exactly as Mike describes. No graceful shutdown, no voluntary closing the app. V1.3 was the latest I have used, but gone back to v3.5 at least until they manage to sort these basic functional issues. 

I do think AS sounds good, I like R8Brain (been using it on and off in my own music projects for years) but there is too much peripheral nonsense (why can't I stop it analysing my music - I don't need that at all).

I hope Damien remains more motivated to resolve issues than certain other software teams in this space, but I don't want to spend my music listening time fighting someone else's idea of good enough.

I took the jump and has taken a subscription for a year for the reduced price old customers get. This because of the sound and some credits for Damien he has build up. Hopefully things will improve, but I trust on that knowing Damien.

Studio, Windows 10 and kernel streaming

With kernel streaming, I could not get Studio to play DSD files (without converting) in Windows 10 until now.  I just updated Windows to version 21H1 (build 19043.1055) and now it works. Go figure.  I don't know if it sounds any different (from ASIO or WASAPI Exclusive). Unfortunately, my trial ends tomorrow.  

mQa is dead!

16 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

Tried to upload this to the Audirvana forum but it won't allow me to attach the video capture.

What the hell IS this?

The only way to end it is to use ctrl+alt+del, as there doesn't actually seem to be an "exit" menu item anywhere and the "x" in the upper righthand corner appears to be disabled. 

Sorry, but Studio is just way, way, way too buggy right now to be the Roon replacement that I seek. 

I was able to end it when I had it in 1.1 or 1.2 by bringing up Preferences, then just going back. Going to a different view apparently stopped it.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

41 minutes ago, Jud said:

I was able to end it when I had it in 1.1 or 1.2 by bringing up Preferences, then just going back. Going to a different view apparently stopped it.

Thanks, Jud.   I found Studio unresponsive when it was pulsating on my screen, hence my desire to quit and restart.

2 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

Thanks, Jud.   I found Studio unresponsive when it was pulsating on my screen, hence my desire to quit and restart.

Another way to quit is to right-click the AS icon in the Windows taskbar and choose “Close window.”

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.