IGNORED

Audirvana Studio

7 minutes ago, lucretius said:

Annual subscription price in Canada is CAD $106.99, which is $83.64 USD (not $69.99 as it is for the US)

I believe original price is in Euros and gets converted to local currencies

if US price actually is $69.99/y... then it's unfair for europeans too 😶

Screenshot 2021-05-29 at 16.06.57.jpg

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

right: I always forget US prices are taxes excluded 🙄

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

29 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Are taxes added?

Not in Canada -- no taxes-- foreign vendor not required to collect Canadian Taxes; like US prices, Canadian prices are taxes excluded.  Maybe Audirvana mistakenly included the (French) VAT taxes in the Canadian price?

mQa is dead!

Here in Chile AS is US$49.99 for one year plus local taxes..

Just for music:Mac Mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 60GB SSD, 16GB RAM (Mid 2011) OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 > WD NAS 6TB > Audirvana+>Roon Server > HQPlayer >iPad for Roon Remote> Teac UD-503 DAC > Audio Quest Cinnamon USB cable > Cambridge Audio Azur 840C > Cambridge Audio Azur 840A > Polk LSi 15 > DIY Speaker Cables.

10 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

@PunkRockDoc you could try FreeFileSync too, very simple and effective and free

https://freefilesync.org

Ok, that sounds promising.  thanks for the suggestion!  I purchased ChronoSync a while back and it doesn't do what I need it to do.  The Realtime Sync is more what I am looking for.  

After maybe initially scanning my music library on my Mac and on my server, I want it to only sync the files that get changed without rescanning the whole library every time it syncs.  I dont want to throw this thread off topic but if anyone has any recommendations on how to basically keep two music collections mirrored in this way please pm me.  Thanks!

26 minutes ago, PunkRockDoc said:

Ok, that sounds promising.  thanks for the suggestion!  I purchased ChronoSync a while back and it doesn't do what I need it to do.  The Realtime Sync is more what I am looking for.  

After maybe initially scanning my music library on my Mac and on my server, I want it to only sync the files that get changed without rescanning the whole library every time it syncs.  I dont want to throw this thread off topic but if anyone has any recommendations on how to basically keep two music collections mirrored in this way please pm me.  Thanks!

Interesting, when I skimmed what you wrote, I thought "Chronosync could do that." I probably just wasn't paying close enough attention. What do you need done that it won't do?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

After waiting two days for the analysis (w/o metadata) to complete, I clicked on "Artists" under local.  After about 10 minutes with the spinning wheel of fate, the artists finally came up (I am using a Mac Mini with M1). Then, I tried to scroll down a page, and the spinning wheel was back.  After another ten minutes, I gave up.  I don't have a huge local library (about 100,000 tracks).

I was really looking forward to Studio as an alternative to Roon, but Roon is so far ahead of Studio, I can't see subscribing.  I have used Audirvana for at least 5 years and find the sound to be somewhat better than what I get from Roon, but not that much.  I actually think Audirvana was best before 3.5 (when it was more like JRiver in format and simplicity), but at least 3.5 is usable.

I hope these issues can be worked out.  I'd hate to see Audirvana fail.  Competition is good.

7 minutes ago, RunHomeSlow said:

100 000 tracks is huge!!

Come on, like 7000 albums !!

It is, but it also unfortunately means Studio isn't usable yet for him.

I imagine if 3.5 and prior can cope with that number of tracks, Studio will be able to also. Just a matter of when.

It's also a sign of how much change there has actually been from 3.5 to Studio. Perhaps Roon still does what it does because it hasn't changed so much.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I am trying the 30-day tire kick.  I could be the dumb bunny here, but I can't figure out why my library and playlists didn't copy over.  The library is no big deal, because I was able to reconstruct it, but I can't figure out how the playlist editor is supposed to work or where playlists even display, so I haven't been able to replace my old ones. (Doesn't look like there's a place for them in the lefthand side menu area.

Any tips for me?

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

3 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

I am trying the 30-day tire kick.  I could be the dumb bunny here, but I can't figure out why my library and playlists didn't copy over.  The library is no big deal, because I was able to reconstruct it, but I can't figure out how the playlist editor is supposed to work or where playlists even display, so I haven't been able to replace my old ones. (Doesn't look like there's a place for them in the lefthand side menu area.

Any tips for me?

866477912_ScreenShot2021-05-29at10_57_33PM.png.ae7e2db9a6f4354513c39ec1ef558ad4.png

Near the top center left of the app, look for these icons. Click the third one from the left and you should see your playlists, if they transferred over.

2 hours ago, RickB68 said:

866477912_ScreenShot2021-05-29at10_57_33PM.png.ae7e2db9a6f4354513c39ec1ef558ad4.png

Near the top center left of the app, look for these icons. Click the third one from the left and you should see your playlists, if they transferred over.

Thanks.  Indeed, that is where I find the editor, but none of my playlists transferred over.  Further, when I try to create a smartlist in the editor, e.g., all tracks whose titles contain "Maiden Voyage," I can't get that filter to pull up any results.  (Not only do I have tracks with that title, I also have a functional smartlist with the same criterion in 3.5.)  Putting aside that it is dumbfuck UX to bury the playlist display at the bottom of the pop-up editor pane rather than visible on a menu, I am finding it impossible to create a smartlist that populates.  There's obviously something amiss  in my setup because I can't believe that Studio got out of beta without this basic functionality.

I should add that Studio hasn't finished analyzing my 165k local files and I haven't enabled writing of recovered metadata to the local files.  Maybe that's germane and maybe it isn't.

I next will try to create playlists from specific files rather than smart playlists.  Perhaps those will populate and play as expected.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

6 minutes ago, Mike Rubin said:

I next will try to create playlists from specific files rather than smart playlists.  Perhaps those will populate and play as expected.

Clearly, I lack the intelligence even to do that.  The so-called editor allows me to add an image file and key words, but has no place to add the files, whether by dragging and dropping or by browsing to them in the file tree.  I also don't see a way to add imported tracks to a playlist by clicking on a dialogue box where they display in Studio.

I don't remember having this kind of trouble with 3.5 (or, for that matter, with any of the dozens of music management and control apps that I have used or tried over the years).  

Again, I know this is on me. I can't believe that anyone would release a product like this without this basic functionality enabled.

Okay, finally got a smart playlist up and running.  It took so long for the list to populate that I didn't think anything was happening even though something was, so it must have been a resource issue.  That's a bit surprising to me because the computer is a desktop Dell XPS 2020 model i7 with 32 gb RAM and a 1 tb NVME ssd that always has been up to any task that I have asked of it.  In any event, I am reconstructing my playlists as quickly as Studio will allow it.