IGNORED

A toast to PGGB, a heady brew of math and magic

4 hours ago, austinpop said:

As someone who just redid almost 300 albums because I switched from 32-bit to 24-bit files (for using the SRC-DX bridge with my DAVE), redoing the upsampling is not that big a deal. If you wait for a *rumored* machine, you're just depriving yourself. Even at a cap of 256M taps, PGGB makes a massive improvement over the native file!

BTW - during the initial development, I must have redone my albums 4-5 times as ZB made incremental improvements. I did not regret it one iota.

Yes, redoing upsampling (with more taps) is certainly possible, but I have ~3000 CDs (ripped) plus some other downloads that I want to process so it'd be quite a bit to redo. I'm likely to just target the low hanging fruit soon (albums with short tracks or even some with longer tracks that I'm fine with redoing later) and then do the rest later. Of course it's not like I'm listening to all 3000 albums now in any case, although I would want to save the "big" conversion until I can do it more optimally.

p.s. My apologies for this being a duplicate post - I had an earlier post that incorrectly quoted the wrong post, so I redid it with this post correctly. BTW, is there any way to delete a post one has made?

6 hours ago, austinpop said:

As someone who just redid almost 300 albums because I switched from 32-bit to 24-bit files (for using the SRC-DX bridge with my DAVE), redoing the upsampling is not that big a deal. If you wait for a *rumored* machine, you're just depriving yourself. Even at a cap of 256M taps, PGGB makes a massive improvement over the native file!

BTW - during the initial development, I must have redone my albums 4-5 times as ZB made incremental improvements. I did not regret it one iota.

Would you mind explaining why you are going from 32 bits to 24 bits and using the SRC-DX. I have one as well but it is not hooked up at present. I have done all my rips at 16fs 32 bits for my TT2.

After mulling this over and trying all variations, 7xx/32 is a clear winner. But this does have its own complications.... would need ~ 32TB of storage to

convert all existing albums. Looks like anyone going down this path best plan on an 8 bay NAS in their future. Wavpack might be a help

but I 'm not convinced yet that it doesn't degrade sound due to added NUC processing activity vs uncompressed file.

I don't even know where to begin for a backup solution

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

1 hour ago, Progisus said:

Would you mind explaining why you are going from 32 bits to 24 bits and using the SRC-DX. I have one as well but it is not hooked up at present. I have done all my rips at 16fs 32 bits for my TT2.

Dave's BNC inputs only support up to 24 bit so if you feed it 32 bit it will be converted down to 24 bit so best to set PGGB to process to 24 bit. Also, if one is using HQP on 'pass through' it should also be configured to output 24 bit.

Owner Wave High Fidelity digital cables :

Antipodes Oladra (WAVE Storm BNC spdif RF noise filtering cable to Mscaler)

Dave (with Sean Jacobs ARC6 and SJ Cap Board) + WAVE Storm dual BNC RF noise filtering cables

ATC150 active speakers.

8 hours ago, austinpop said:

Could you comment on SRC-DX vs  32-bit USB on Dave? I guess that many people will be interested in this. 

1 hour ago, Fourlegs said:

Dave's BNC inputs only support up to 24 bit so if you feed it 32 bit it will be converted down to 24 bit so best to set PGGB to process to 24 bit. Also, if one is using HQP on 'pass through' it should also be configured to output 24 bit.

Thanks. On a TT2 what is the advantage going dual bnc over usb? Assuming one has the src-dx already. My usb is from an EX.

1 hour ago, jeti said:

Could you comment on SRC-DX vs  32-bit USB on Dave? I guess that many people will be interested in this. 

1 minute ago, Progisus said:

Thanks. On a TT2 what is the advantage going dual bnc over usb? Assuming one has the src-dx already. My usb is from an EX.

Please see the section on USB improvements part 2:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/?do=findComment&comment=1130590

26 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I have not invested much in the BNC digital cables.  We will see what my pair of cables from Moon audio does!.  Toes firmly dipped into the water.  Hopefully the bottom of the lake is not quicksand!

38 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Convolution is a less publicized feature of PGGB, I am not aware of anyone other than me using it :) which to me is quite surprising as I was expecting more interest in being able to use EQ/convolution filters. Of course I am happy with the results and I EQ both my headphones and speakers and  all my gargle blasted albums have EQ baked in.

Cheers! I’ll be doing it soon! It’s the icing on the cake! I’ll be in touch. 

10 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

Cheers! I’ll be doing it soon! It’s the icing on the cake! I’ll be in touch. 

Make sure you grab the latest version as it includes bug fixes for convolution.

Author of PGGB & RASA, remastero

Update: PGGB Plus (PCM + DSD) Now supports both PCM and DSD, with much improved memory handling

New: PGGB-IT! is a new interface for PGGB Plus, supports multi-channel, smaller footprint, more lossless compression options

Free: foo_pggb_rt is a free real-time upsampling plugin for foobar2000 64bit; RASA is a free tool to do FFT analysis of audio tracks

SystemTT7 PGI 240v + Power Base > Paretoaudio Server [SR7T] > Adnaco Fiber [SR5T] >VR L2iSE [QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Infinity PC]> QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation RCA> Omega CAMs, JL Sub, Vox Z-Bass/ /LCD-5/[QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation PC] KGSSHV Carbon CC, Audeze CRBN

5 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

It is a three step process (which I hope to automate at some point when there is enough interest/demand)

1. You email me the convolution filter you would like to use along with some notes on how you created them and at what output rates you plan to gargle blast your albums.

2. I send you back a link to a folder that has your convolution filters in a form that is ready for use by PGGB

3. On Windows, you create a folder named 'EQ' inside %homepath%\PGGB folder and drop the filters I send you there.

When PGGB sees the EQ folder, it knows it has to apply them. If you want to turn off EQ, just rename the EQ folder to something else

@ASRMichaelIn addition to the above, it would be nice if you happen to have convolution filters at both a multiple of 44.1kHz and 48kHz, ideally measurements done at those rates (and not resampled), it is not a requirement though. 

Update: PGGB Plus (PCM + DSD) Now supports both PCM and DSD, with much improved memory handling

New: PGGB-IT! is a new interface for PGGB Plus, supports multi-channel, smaller footprint, more lossless compression options

Free: foo_pggb_rt is a free real-time upsampling plugin for foobar2000 64bit; RASA is a free tool to do FFT analysis of audio tracks

SystemTT7 PGI 240v + Power Base > Paretoaudio Server [SR7T] > Adnaco Fiber [SR5T] >VR L2iSE [QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Infinity PC]> QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation RCA> Omega CAMs, JL Sub, Vox Z-Bass/ /LCD-5/[QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation PC] KGSSHV Carbon CC, Audeze CRBN

1 minute ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

@ASRMichaelIn addition to the above, it would be nice if you happen to have convolution filters at both a multiple of 44.1kHz and 48kHz, ideally measurements done at those rates (and not resampled), it is not a requirement though. 

Ok, Mitch at accurate sound normally gives me full range of filters. To 352kHz & 384kHz. Or are you asking to take the initial REW measurements at 44.1kHz & 48kHz? 

3 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

Ok, Mitch at accurate sound normally gives me full range of filters. To 352kHz & 384kHz. Or are you asking to take the initial REW measurements at 44.1kHz & 48kHz? 

Yes at 44.1kHz & 48kHz if it is possible, I understand that this is not always possible as that would require using a Mic, preamp and a D/A converter  (which is a significant investment) instead of a simple USB Mic that typically does only 48kHz and the EQ/measurement software would do the resampling at different rates. 

2 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Yes at 44.1kHz & 48kHz if it is possible, I understand that this is not always possible as that would require using a Mic, preamp and a D/A converter  (which is a significant investment) instead of a simple USB Mic that typically does only 48kHz and the EQ/measurement software would do the resampling at different rates. 

All I have is an Mini DSP UNIK USB mic. As you say is only 48kHz. 

8 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

why would you want the initial REW measurements; you redo the filters?

HQ Player 4 Mac Mini M1

8 minutes ago, Jean Paul D said:

why would you want the initial REW measurements; you redo the filters?

No I would not need the initial measurements,  I would only need the convolution filters at those rates so that I can let PGGB do the resampling instead of the measurement software. PGGB does not do resampling between rate families.

Edit: I prefer this approach for  non minimum phase filters.

1 hour ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

No I would not need the initial measurements,  I would only need the convolution filters at those rates so that I can let PGGB do the resampling instead of the measurement software. PGGB does not do resampling between rate families.

Edit: I prefer this approach for  non minimum phase filters.

I now understand! Will supply Right & Left convolution filters 44.1 & 48kHz. Cheers 

Anyone experiencing 32 fs PGGBs file buffering? My i9-10900, 32 GB PC is directly connected to Terminator+ DAC, and it is buffering like crazy. I am using Audiolinix and HQPe.

Files are stored on internal NVMe.

9 minutes ago, sig8 said:

Anyone experiencing 32 fs PGGBs file buffering? My i9-10900, 32 GB PC is directly connected to Terminator+ DAC, and it is buffering like crazy. I am using Audiolinix and HQPe.

Files are stored on internal NVMe.

What are your DAC Bits and Buffer Time settings in HQPe?

Edit: easiest if you paste a screenshot of your HQPe settings.