IGNORED

A toast to PGGB, a heady brew of math and magic

1 hour ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

With 16GB of RAM you will have to limit it to CDs and 256M taps.  Big Sur is not a requirement, I suggested it for future proofing reasons. Mojave or Catalina will be OK too. RAM is what PGGB requires most, and on a Mac, unlike wWindows it is not possible to change virtual memory/swap space. If you can go up to 32GB for Hires and 40-64GB for DSD. You can do DSD at 32GB but may have to limit it to 512M taps if you run out of memory.

Thanks again , ok then I will have to look for something else.

What about mac minis?

Quite a few of those for sale second hand here.

I have seen one with 64 gigabyte ram but I would need to put a bigger harddrive in it.

But regarding taps I would like to know how many really matter for ultimate SQ?

The testfiles I have max out at 255M I think . But with DSD one could run into billions right?

And do those extra taps above 255M really count?

I know little about the maths involved here but I asked Rob how many taps would be needed to fully recover a 24 bit signal the same way 1M recovers 16/44.1 and his response was 250M taps.

Please elaborate further on the importance of taps with PGGB.

I would not like to be limited to not enough taps.

I am an old school Audiophile with  experience of classical music recording sessions and I want to get as close as possible to mic-feed with acoustic music.

I will rather wait a bit to get it all right than jump onboard with too limited processing power. Cheers Chrille

32 minutes ago, kelvinwsy said:

On checking the official specs of the Gustard A22 - it does not specify 705.6. Only the SMSL VMV D1.

The iFi iDSD sounds great with the 32fs. 

I think I will try 16fs on some similar test tunes and try them out on the Gustard A22. 

Report back in a day or so.

If you look at the very bottom of this page, you will notice that A22 is specified for up to 768 kHz on the I2S/USB inputs.

http://www.gustard.cn/?post_type=products&page_id=8942

Hope this helps.

33 minutes ago, kelvinwsy said:

I have reduced the gain -5db to prevent clipping and this allows me to play 0db max and min under PCM playback mode. (I tried Source and it sounded weird and distorted.)

Where did you set this -5dB gain? in HQP? With PGGB, there will be no clipping and the only reason to set a gain is if you cannot use the DAC for volume control

35 minutes ago, kelvinwsy said:

My question(if I understand the exchange between the 2 experts Zaphod and Miska)  is this:

1. Are there recommended DACs which are recommended to play back 32fs and even 64 fs files

I do not think there is a DAC in the market that will play PCM at 64fs rate. There are R2R DACs such as the May DAC and Terminator that can play 32FS PCM. 

31 minutes ago, kelvinwsy said:

On checking the official specs of the Gustard A22 - it does not specify 705.6. Only the SMSL VMV D1.

The iFi iDSD sounds great with the 32fs

All the three DACs you have will support up to 16fs (705.6/768kHz) PCM via USB. When the specification says  up to 768kHz, it includes 705.6kHz

While many here are using Chord DACs and R2R DACs, there are also those who have tried and like PGGB with  delta sigma DACs like the Gustard x26 Pro, TAD DAC, dCS, topping D90 etc. In all these cases (and especially with delta sigma DACs), there is certainly a YMMV factor and I always suggest trying with the the default recommended settings in NOS mode where available and rest of the chain in pass through. Sometimes when no NOS mode is available, you may have to try the filters on your DAC and in that case I recommend a slow roll off linear filter.

Author of PGGB & RASA, remastero

Update: PGGB-256 is completely revamped, improved, and now uses much less memory

New: PGGB-IT! is a new interface for PGGB 256, supports multi-channel, smaller footprint, more lossless compression options

Free: foo_pggb_rt is a free real-time upsampling plugin for foobar2000 64bit; RASA is a free tool to do FFT analysis of audio tracks

System: TT7 PGI 240v > Paretoaudio Server [SR7T] > Adnaco Fiber [SR5T] >VR L2iSE [QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Infinity PC]> QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation RCA> Omega CAMs, JL Sub, Vox Z-Bass/ [QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation PC] KGSSHV Carbon CC, Audeze CRBN

22 hours ago, davide256 said:

yea.. I'm suspecting noise creeps in when the IRIS down converts... will see if @taipan254 can corroborate.

from Denafrips specs for IRIS

DSD DSD64-DoP On All Output

Up to DSD512 On USB Input & I²S Output

PCM24bits / 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192KHz On All Output

Up to 768kHz On USB Input & I²S Output

getting least objectionable artifacts feeding 176/24 to IRIS. The IRIS accepts 32 bit but converts on PCM output to 24,

(excluding I2s?) where like down sampling I hear added treble irritants for 32 bit source conversion on coax/optical output

Was hoping to stop at 176/24 FLAC size files but I really like the 705/24 wav down sampled by Stylus

to 176/24 to feed the IRIS... doesn't have the treble irritants the IRIS creates from down sampling.  Going to

see if others like me will request Zeljko add wave pack support to Stylus

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

32 minutes ago, davide256 said:

from Denafrips specs for IRIS

DSD DSD64-DoP On All Output

Up to DSD512 On USB Input & I²S Output

PCM24bits / 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192KHz On All Output

Up to 768kHz On USB Input & I²S Output

getting least objectionable artifacts feeding 176/24 to IRIS. The IRIS accepts 32 bit but converts on PCM output to 24,

(excluding I2s?) where like down sampling I hear added treble irritants for 32 bit source conversion on coax/optical output

Was hoping to stop at 176/24 FLAC size files but I really like the 705/24 wav down sampled by Stylus

to 176/24 to feed the IRIS... doesn't have the treble irritants the IRIS creates from down sampling.  Going to

see if others like me will request Zeljko add wave pack support to Stylus

Have you tried creating 176/24 files directly using PGGB and do you still prefer downsampling done by Stylus?

Update: PGGB-256 is completely revamped, improved, and now uses much less memory

New: PGGB-IT! is a new interface for PGGB 256, supports multi-channel, smaller footprint, more lossless compression options

Free: foo_pggb_rt is a free real-time upsampling plugin for foobar2000 64bit; RASA is a free tool to do FFT analysis of audio tracks

System: TT7 PGI 240v > Paretoaudio Server [SR7T] > Adnaco Fiber [SR5T] >VR L2iSE [QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Infinity PC]> QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation RCA> Omega CAMs, JL Sub, Vox Z-Bass/ [QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation PC] KGSSHV Carbon CC, Audeze CRBN

32 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Have you tried creating 176/24 files directly using PGGB and do you still prefer downsampling done by Stylus?

Done the range of 176-353-705 rates and 24/32  bit depth in wav with my test track. Puzzles me that I can hear more with Stylus downsampling but details are

better enunciated with 705>176 than they are with native 176. I cache all music to a FEMTO clocked NVME drive + the IRIS uses a FEMTO clock. DAC tested

with was NOS Metrum Octave.... the Mojo internally up-samples PCM to 705/768 which is its own can of worms.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

59 minutes ago, CNoblet said:

The only issue is with track lengths over 20 minutes, for which I change the output sample rate to 352.8/384.

@CNobletThanks for the feedback. For longer than 20 minutes, may I suggest trying 256M taps but keep output at 705.6/768kHz, I feel that will sound better.

Off-line upsampling does relax the processing requirement of the playback server,  as a bonus also reduces the possible noise generated by upsampling in real-time.

3 hours ago, davide256 said:

Done the range of 176-353-705 rates and 24/32  bit depth in wav with my test track. Puzzles me that I can hear more with Stylus downsampling but details are

better enunciated with 705>176 than they are with native 176. I cache all music to a FEMTO clocked NVME drive + the IRIS uses a FEMTO clock. DAC tested

with was NOS Metrum Octave.... the Mojo internally up-samples PCM to 705/768 which is its own can of worms.

Dave, 

It seems like you're juggling with competing forces here.

• The Mojo is a Chord DAC, and to get the benefit of PGGB, you need to bypass the WTA1 stage - just like we are doing on our DAVEs, TT2s, etc. This requires 16FS PGGB files. You can't really use half measures here. Upsampling to 4FS or 8FS does not get the WTA1 stage out of the way, so the benefit of PGGB, while still possible, is going to be unknown.
  • Yet I sympathize that the Mojo uses suboptimal connectors like micro-USB or 3.5mm coax as the only inputs capable of accepting 16FS. This does impose degradation due to poor cable choice and crappy connectors.
  • And like many chains, a DDC has advantages to allow reclocking, regeneration, so I can see why the Iris was attractive - but only for native rates. For 16FS, you may be better off with a USB regenerator like the tX-USBultra or ISO-Regen. But this does add cost - I get that.

If this were my system, my inclination would be to first go the best route for signal integrity, which is to preserve 16FS end to end:

• NUC/Euphony/Stylus > PGGB 32/16FS file > USB A to micro-B > Mojo
  • The manual for the Mojo claims to allow support for 16FS on the 3.5mm coaxial input. The excerpt from the manual is:
    • "1 x 3.5mm COAX SPDIF capable of playing 44.1KHz to 384Khz PCM (768KHz special operation) and DSD64, DSD128 in DoP format"
    • EDIT: the manual appears to be incorrect, as I found a post by Rob that confirms dual-SPDIF mode is not supported on the Mojo.
  • If the above is truly an option, you could try the Audiowise SRC-DX adapter, and do this:
    • NUC/Euphony/Stylus > PGGB 24/16FS file > USB > SRC-DX > DBNC to 3.5mm cable > Mojo.
  • The SRC-DX route, which admittedly also adds cost, would also potentially uplift SQ by avoiding the Amanero USB controller.

It just seems like the Iris, with its 4FS limit on the input, is not a great fit with the Mojo/PGGB path.

All that said, these are competing tradeoffs, and the path you're on may well get you to the best compromise possible, given the limitations. At this point, your own experiments are going to be the best way forward, as none of us are using (or would use) PGGB in this way.

I hope you find a good answer.

19 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Dave, 

It seems like you're juggling with competing forces here.

• The Mojo is a Chord DAC, and to get the benefit of PGGB, you need to bypass the WTA1 stage - just like we are doing on our DAVEs, TT2s, etc. This requires 16FS PGGB files. You can't really use half measures here. Upsampling to 4FS or 8FS does not get the WTA1 stage out of the way, so the benefit of PGGB, while still possible, is going to be unknown.
  • Yet I sympathize that the Mojo uses suboptimal connectors like micro-USB or 3.5mm coax as the only inputs capable of accepting 16FS. This does impose degradation due to poor cable choice and crappy connectors.
  • And like many chains, a DDC has advantages to allow reclocking, regeneration, so I can see why the Iris was attractive - but only for native rates. For 16FS, you may be better off with a USB regenerator like the tX-USBultra or ISO-Regen. But this does add cost - I get that.

If this were my system, my inclination would be to first go the best route for signal integrity, which is to preserve 16FS end to end:

• NUC/Euphony/Stylus > PGGB 32/16FS file > USB A to micro-B > Mojo
  • The manual for the Mojo claims to allow support for 16FS on the 3.5mm coaxial input. The excerpt from the manual is:
    • "1 x 3.5mm COAX SPDIF capable of playing 44.1KHz to 384Khz PCM (768KHz special operation) and DSD64, DSD128 in DoP format"
    • EDIT: the manual appears to be incorrect, as I found a post by Rob that confirms dual-SPDIF mode is not supported on the Mojo.
  • If the above is truly an option, you could try the Audiowise SRC-DX adapter, and do this:
    • NUC/Euphony/Stylus > PGGB 24/16FS file > USB > SRC-DX > DBNC to 3.5mm cable > Mojo.
  • The SRC-DX route, which admittedly also adds cost, would also potentially uplift SQ by avoiding the Amanero USB controller.

It just seems like the Iris, with its 4FS limit on the input, is not a great fit with the Mojo/PGGB path.

All that said, these are competing tradeoffs, and the path you're on may well get you to the best compromise possible, given the limitations. At this point, your own experiments are going to be the best way forward, as none of us are using (or would use) PGGB in this way.

I hope you find a good answer.

I hear you... am I correct that a Denafrips Pontus would not support 16FS?

Pontus architecture description

"True balanced 24BIT  R2R +  6BIT DSD (32 steps FIR Filters)"

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

BTW... I'm a formula kind of guy, couldn't find one searching this article or the internet

1) What is the definition of FS used here?                   I'm assuming its not decibels as found on the internet or simple sample rate.

2) what is the calculation equation for FS units?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

13 minutes ago, davide256 said:

According to the specs on their site The Pontus can do up to 32FS via USB

image.thumb.png.cb7d425c5da09e374250cfb4cc9ab2b0.png

1 minute ago, davide256 said:

BTW... I'm a formula kind of guy, couldn't find one searching this article or the internet

1) What is the definition of FS used here?                   I'm assuming its not decibels as found on the internet or simple sample rate.

2) what is the calculation equation for FS units?

I have a FAQ article for it: PGGB - FAQ (remastero.com)

12 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

I have a FAQ article for it: PGGB - FAQ (remastero.com)

Thanks... so basically FS is sampling rate multiples of 44.1/48 which is  half the equation, the other half being bit depth.  All though there are always those that argue

we can't hear more than 20 bits which seems like nonsense after comparing 705/20 to 705/32....

14 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

So the Pontus can do 32FS but its going to be limited by its architecture to 24 bits vs 32 for a Chord DAC?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

30 minutes ago, davide256 said:

15 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

But note the following on the Iris specs:

image.png

So you could send 32FS to the Pontus II via a direct USB connection — assuming your player supported 32FS. But if you put an Iris in the path, then you're limited to 16FS.

Also, if you follow the discussions on 32FS DACs in the HQP and Holo May DAC threads, getting 32FS to work over USB can be fussy, and requires specific drivers/firmware. And — because the Pontus II is an R2R DAC, your best results may come when you noise shape the sample depth to somewhere in the 18-24 bit range. Let's assume 20-bit is the sweet spot.

When the time comes, and you have the Pontus II in your hot little hands :), you would want to try these paths and see what sounds better:

• NUC/Euphony/Stylus > PGGB 20/32FS file > USB > Pontus II
  • NUC/Euphony/Stylus > PGGB 20/16FS file > USB > Iris > I2S > Pontus II.
39 minutes ago, davide256 said:

All though there are always those that argue

we can't hear more than 20 bits which seems like nonsense after comparing 705/20 to 705/32....

39 minutes ago, davide256 said:

So the Pontus can do 32FS but its going to be limited by its architecture to 24 bits vs 32 for a Chord DAC?

Be it 20bits or 32bits, it comes down to the quantization noise in the audible spectrum (and of course the DAC). Noise shaping is a great leveler in this regards. At higher sample rates (16FS, 32FS etc), it is mathematically possible to push the noise out of the audible spectrum.

At higher rates (32FS) you can achieve a lower noise floor and get comparable noise floor performance even at 20 bits to 32bits at 16FS. So I will not be overly concerned because of the reduced bit-depth. In fact, I have currently moved to using 16FS noise shaped to  24bits into my DAVE via dual BNC instead of 32bits via USB and do not miss 32bit input. Bypassing DAVE's USB receiver has made the music more lively, the transients are more impactful and there is more midrange presence. As a bonus the background is quieter and the storage space requirement also reduced. 

Edit: The above statements is with regards to bypassing the USB receiver and does not imply that 24 bit is inherently better than 32bits, what it says is noise shaping provides enough leeway to explore other options such as BNC (which is limited to 24bits) without (to my ears) apparent reduction in resolution or depth.  

11 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Be it 20bits or 32bits, it comes down to the quantization noise in the audible spectrum (and of course the DAC). Noise shaping is a great leveler in this regards. At higher sample rates (16FS, 32FS etc), it is mathematically possible to push the noise out of the audible spectrum.

At higher rates (32FS) you can achieve a lower noise floor and get comparable noise floor performance even at 20 bits to 32bits at 16FS. So I will not be overly concerned because of the reduced bit-depth. In fact, I have currently moved to using 16FS noise shaped to  24bits into my DAVE via dual BNC instead of 32bits via USB and do not miss 32bit input. Bypassing DAVE's USB receiver has made the music more lively, the transients are more impactful and there is more midrange presence. As a bonus the background is quieter and the storage space requirement also reduced. 

Edit: The above statements is with regards to bypassing the USB receiver and does not imply that 24 bit is inherently better than 32bits, what it says is noise shaping provides enough leeway to explore other options such as BNC (which is limited to 24bits) without (to my ears) apparent reduction in resolution or depth.  

How would one get dual BNC output from  a digital audio server? DAC wise I know that Qutest, Hugo TT and DAVE all support dual BNC for 768/32 but always assumed

that was useful only with their M Scalar option.  USB is such a PITA if there is any system electrical noise.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

28 minutes ago, davide256 said:

How would one get dual BNC output from  a digital audio server? DAC wise I know that Qutest, Hugo TT and DAVE all support dual BNC for 768/32 but always assumed

that was useful only with their M Scalar option.  USB is such a PITA if there is any system electrical noise.

Agreed dual BNC is an option only for Chord DACs (DAVE/TT2/Hugo2) and I brought it up to illustrate that 32 bits is not a necessity with noise shaped signals. @austinpop mentioned it in his previous post the SRC.DX will allow USB to dual BNC conversion into Chord DACs, 

I’m looking to play back PGGB files on a Mojo+Poly. I’m not liking Roon sound quality for critical listening so looking for other options. But when I use mConnect, I notice it only supports 24-bit (which I think is a DLNA limit?) Is MPD 32-bit or 24-bit? I guess the other option is to create a PGGB playlist and use GoFigure. I assume that would play back 32-bit. Any other ideas?

cheers,

muski

I am still reading through the thread. A quick question.

Would I need 64GB RAM on a i9-10900 machine to do 32fs conversion, or 32GB RAM is enough. My DAC is Denafrips Terminator +. Most of my collection is 44.1 PCM (90%), about 200 DSD 64 rips, and some 192, 96kHz, downloads. I can add another 32GB if I buy the software, trial purposes for now. Thanks.

5 minutes ago, sig8 said:

I am still reading through the thread. A quick question.

Would I need 64GB RAM on a i9-10900 machine to do 32fs conversion, or 32GB RAM is enough. My DAC is Denafrips Terminator +. Most of my collection is 44.1 PCM (90%), about 200 DSD 64 rips, and some 192, 96kHz, downloads. I can add another 32GB if I buy the software, trial purposes for now. Thanks.

You can make do with 32GB RAM for Trial to convert to 32FS as PCM -> PCM is less demanding. Keep the maximum Taps to 1024M, you can also do DSD but it will be a bit slow. You will need to make sure you can allocate 128GB of virtual memory on a internal SSD (NVME even better).

If you like PGGB enough and decide to buy, then I will recommend going up to 64GB (2Billion taps). However if you are a fan of classical music it is likely that your tracks are longer and if you can add more RAM (beyond 64GB) that will benifit you in the long run.

If you are a fan of classical music, be sure to look at this post: 

I will get another 2-32GB stick, it will be 96GB for now. I have a 500GB SSD on hand. I will be using this machine for playback as well, running HQPe on Audiolinux, that is what I do right now. NVMe v/s SSD is for the speed of conversion or it affects the sound quality for those who rum HQP on the hard disk?

For users of servers with embedded HQPlayer. I’ve noticed significantly better hqplayer pggb playback by using the embedded on the EX (Antipodes server) rather than a desktop version. Files for embedded are on the EX. Files for desktop are on usb drive attached to desktop machine.