IGNORED

A toast to PGGB, a heady brew of math and magic

It seems to me that  PGGB development targeted taking a set of design choices to the extreme possible. Given that the results of this no-compromise approach have been established,  I am curious to know (given the file upsampling times being reported) if  the sound quality of filters which are still long but shorter than the entire audio file were compared during the development of PGGB to the sound quality of the filters which PGGB ended up using . An audio file contains sounds that are not continuous and usually not more than a few seconds long so I am wondering if it is essential to upsample/reconstruct the audio file in its entirety at once. There seems to be a consensus emerging that upsampling to DSD offers the highest sound quality from PGGB, which is also highly demanding of processing power and time. I think it could be worth it to explore whether upsampling / reconstructing parts of the audio file that are long enough (thinking out loud: maybe also overlapping to some degree ) can be made to approach or match the sound quality PGGB current approach offers by upsampling the entire file at once .  Re-processing an entire music library with each improvement in the filter design/algorithms will be quite challenging at the current file upsampling times and decreasing the computing load may also open the door to eventually getting the 128 bit  and 256 bit versions of PGGB to operate in real time, which would be ideal.  

3 hours ago, Sagittarius said:

There seems to be a consensus emerging that upsampling to DSD offers the highest sound quality from PGGB

ZB’s response covered the points exceptionally well, as usual.  I just wanted to mention one other thing.  I believe the results still depend on the DAC.  If DAC can only get to DSD256 then 16FS might still deliver the highest sound quality from PGGB.  How much processing the DAC does also factors into this.  

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Yes, he definitely did. The point you mentioned is noted. I currently have a DSD 512 capable DAC (T+A DAC 8 DSD). Unfortunately, manufacturers keep chasing buzzwords and trying to get attention with shiny spec sheet figures for marketing reasons rather than commonsense. So we now have DSD 1024 capable DACs getting more common and hopefully they will stop at that. If I remember correctly,  T+A designer mentioned in one post that implementing that DSD rate in their DACs was not easy. Faster clocks also tend to have worse jitter. However, several posters noted that operating their DAC at its maximum DSD rate gave better sound quality (my personal guess is that this probably varies from one DAC model to another depending on its design). I think this improvement in sound quality was first noticed when the DAC 8 DSD became popular and its owners found that feeding it upsampled files with increasingly higher upsampling ratios gave progressively smaller improvements in sound quality till they hit DSD 512 which was the maximum rate the DAC was capable of and then there was a noticeable jump in sound quality. The best explanation I have read for this was the one given by Miska, who suggested that operating the DAC at the native rate of its clock without clock dividers could possibly be the reason. So it is probably a case of lower jitter more than a case of  upsampled file reconstruction getting audibly better all the way to DSD 1024. But as ZB mentioned, we find it difficult to settle for less when we hear what is better. So, regardless of the technical reasons, we will want to upsample to the highest data rate that the DAC we have or want to buy can handle. 

17 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

ZB’s response covered the points exceptionally well, as usual.  I just wanted to mention one other thing.  I believe the results still depend on the DAC.  If DAC can only get to DSD256 then 16FS might still deliver the highest sound quality from PGGB.  How much processing the DAC does also factors into this.  

17 minutes ago, Sagittarius said:

Yes, he definitely did. The point you mentioned is noted. I currently have a DSD 512 capable DAC (T+A DAC 8 DSD). Unfortunately, manufacturers keep chasing buzzwords and trying to get attention with shiny spec sheet figures for marketing reasons rather than commonsense. So we now have DSD 1024 capable DACs getting more common and hopefully they will stop at that. If I remember correctly,  T+A designer mentioned in one post that implementing that DSD rate in their DACs was not easy. Faster clocks also tend to have worse jitter. However, several posters noted that operating a DAC at its maximum DSD rate gave better sound quality in several cases. I think this was first noticed when the DAC 8 DSD became popular and its owners found out that feeding it upsampled files with increasingly higher upsampling ratios gave progressively smaller improvements in sound quality till they hit DSD 512 which was the maximum rate the DAC was capable of. Then there was a noticeable jump in sound quality. The best explanation I have read for this was the one given by Miska, who suggested that operating the DAC at the native rate of its clock without clock dividers could possibly be the reason. So it is probably a case of lower jitter more than a case of  upsampled file reconstruction getting audibly better all the way to DSD 1024. But as ZB mentioned, we find it difficult to settle for less when we hear what is better. So, regardless of the technical reasons, we will want to upsample to the highest data rate that the DAC we have or like can handle. 

At least on T+A DAC  200, I would say the jury is still out on DSD1024.

One has to jump through hoops to get DSD1024 working, not many players support it and if they did the OS may not and then the DAC's driver or firmware needs to be updated etc.

On the Holo May, based on the feedback I have received, there seems to be a clear preference to using DSD1024. On T+A 200, the feedback I have received has been mixed, anywhere between DSD1024 sounding slightly worse than DSD512 to DSD1024 is clearly better. That does not make one a better DAC than the other, it just shows where the sweet spot for the DAC is.

These are still early days with very small sample sizes, as many have not had the opportunity to listen to DSD1024 on either of these DACs, hopefully there will be some form of consensus over time.

But I generally agree, there is no point in pushing for higher numbers unless there is an audible advantage.

Author of PGGB & RASA, remastero

Update: PGGB Plus (PCM + DSD) Now supports both PCM and DSD, with much improved memory handling

Free: foo_pggb_rt is a free real-time upsampling plugin for foobar2000 64bit; RASA is a free tool to do FFT analysis of audio tracks

SystemTT7 PGI 240v + Power Base > Paretoaudio Server [SR7T] > Adnaco Fiber [SR5T] >VR L2iSE [QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Infinity PC]> QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation RCA> Omega CAMs, JL Sub, Vox Z-Bass/ /LCD-5/[QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation PC] KGSSHV Carbon CC, Audeze CRBN

Update: PGGB Plus (PCM + DSD) Now supports both PCM and DSD, with much improved memory handling

Free: foo_pggb_rt is a free real-time upsampling plugin for foobar2000 64bit; RASA is a free tool to do FFT analysis of audio tracks

SystemTT7 PGI 240v + Power Base > Paretoaudio Server [SR7T] > Adnaco Fiber [SR5T] >VR L2iSE [QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Infinity PC]> QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation RCA> Omega CAMs, JL Sub, Vox Z-Bass/ /LCD-5/[QSA Silver fuse, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation PC] KGSSHV Carbon CC, Audeze CRBN

I have been trying out the effect of DSD512 (single pass) with Chord DAVE. I do not possess a behemoth PC for conversions as I had never envisaged performing these conversions having been rather happy with PCM. As my conversion machine is obviously underpowered in comparison with the keenest users, I am somewhat limited in my assessment - to convert my library with this system would take about a year.

On the basis of what I have tested and bearing in mind that I am primarily a classical listener and exclusively use speakers rather than headphones, I have found that with PCM base files, I do not prefer the effect of PGGB conversions to DSD512. With DSD base files, I find that those of highest resolution in my collection (DSD256) do seem to be preferable when converted to DSD512. The difference is quite striking to my ear in cases such as Honek's Pittsburgh Beethoven 5&8 and the Podger Vivaldi Quattro Stagioni. In these cases, I do prefer the DSD512 to the PGGB 705/768 PCM versions. To perform these comparisons, I have had to use a windows 11 NUC that is certainly not optimised for audio as an endpoint for HQ Player NAA with USB direct to DAVE. My usual path for PCM is HQPe to SRC-DX in a low powered audiolinux i7 NUC with cleanish power from an Uptone JS-2.

As a sidenote, I find that notwithstanding the advice from ZB, it is easier to control the conversion PC (using windows RD) when running Process Lasso and I have not found this causes problems.

47 minutes ago, ajm said:

I have been trying out the effect of DSD512 (single pass) with Chord DAVE. I do not possess a behemoth PC for conversions as I had never envisaged performing these conversions having been rather happy with PCM. As my conversion machine is obviously underpowered in comparison with the keenest users, I am somewhat limited in my assessment - to convert my library with this system would take about a year.

On the basis of what I have tested and bearing in mind that I am primarily a classical listener and exclusively use speakers rather than headphones, I have found that with PCM base files, I do not prefer the effect of PGGB conversions to DSD512. With DSD base files, I find that those of highest resolution in my collection (DSD256) do seem to be preferable when converted to DSD512. The difference is quite striking to my ear in cases such as Honek's Pittsburgh Beethoven 5&8 and the Podger Vivaldi Quattro Stagioni. In these cases, I do prefer the DSD512 to the PGGB 705/768 PCM versions. To perform these comparisons, I have had to use a windows 11 NUC that is certainly not optimised for audio as an endpoint for HQ Player NAA with USB direct to DAVE. My usual path for PCM is HQPe to SRC-DX in a low powered audiolinux i7 NUC with cleanish power from an Uptone JS-2.

As a sidenote, I find that notwithstanding the advice from ZB, it is easier to control the conversion PC (using windows RD) when running Process Lasso and I have not found this causes problems.

Thanks, I assume you were using DSD+ and making sure the files were played as Direct SDM with no processing. 

6 hours ago, ajm said:

9th order too I assume. And remember to check dsd+

What we are discovering is that the non-decimating Dave is actually an ideal DSD Dac as long as the upsampling is done outside of the Dave. Same situation to what Rob is doing with his Mscaler and Quad scaler. Quite remarkable.

Background blackness and noise floor are probably most obvious with headphones.

Dynamics more so with speakers.

Also I do not listen to classical at all, so it’s not surprising to me that you and I may have different preferences. 

Thank you for the feedback!

One thing I appreciate about ZB is- like some of my favourite designers (eg. Papa Pass)- that he doesn't simply listen with their brains, but with their ears, too. He has taken in a lot of feedback about what sounds better or worse (eg. -600db is audible, surprise surprise), rather than assuming what should be correct. (PS, this doesn't mean he designs purely based on subjective feedback, but that he uses that to validate his theories- a page right out of the scientific method).

Unfortunately not everyone will have the chance to try PGGB because it's a unique product suited mainly for those who play primarily their own offline files + ideally a powerful machine (eg. gaming machines, AI machines, rendering machines, upsampling machines...)

But for those who do meet those two criteria, I encourage you to listen with your ears as well. It's free.

As another poster here noted, PGGB is a sampling approach taken to its most absolute extreme end. You may not like it, but if you do, you probably won't listen to anything else ever again.

@The Computer AudiophileSorry for bothering you, please move both of the previous posts to the other thread. 

1 hour ago, jelt2359 said:

Unfortunately not everyone will have the chance to try PGGB because it's a unique product suited mainly for those who play primarily their own offline files + ideally a powerful machine (eg. gaming machines, AI machines, rendering machines, upsampling machines...)

A minor correction, PGGB can run on simple laptops too, it just depends on what you want it to do. The Foobar plugin will run just fine on most PCs with 8 - 16GB of RAM. 

10 hours ago, jelt2359 said:

9th order too I assume. And remember to check dsd+

What we are discovering is that the non-decimating Dave is actually an ideal DSD Dac as long as the upsampling is done outside of the Dave. Same situation to what Rob is doing with his Mscaler and Quad scaler. Quite remarkable.

Background blackness and noise floor are probably most obvious with headphones.

Dynamics more so with speakers.

Also I do not listen to classical at all, so it’s not surprising to me that you and I may have different preferences. 

Thank you for the feedback!

I confirm use of 9th order and DSD+ in my testing.

I think there are many variables which make a minefield out of comparing experiences between different systems.

One respect in which my use case is pretty unusual, I believe, is using DAVE to drive speakers direct which I began after reading Romaz experiences long ago and I remain quite happy with this using B&W 805D3's with DB3 sub. I originally began this when I was expecting to proceed to the projected and then putatively imminent Chord digital amps but was so surprised at how good this arrangement was that I have not felt obliged to seek any alternative in the last few years. Another factor is the improvements in Audiolinux over the years which certainly advanced in quality of reproduction (to my ear) with the progress to 2000Hz kernels. Of course, one cannot readily compare what one now hears with all the latest tweaks and upgrades with what was available some years ago and just to compare using optimised playback systems for PCM and DSD is not straightforward as I gather even Taiko Extreme users diverge from the Taiko preferred USB driver for DSD512/ 1024.

3 minutes ago, Crwilli57 said:

I am lazy.  I have tried but failed  to learn the answer to perhaps a fundamental question re: PGGB.

Do I run it on my entire library and thus create a new library or does it need a PC to run it in real time?

I use an Antipodes Kala K50 with ~4 TB of internal media.   

Does PGGN rewrite that media into a higher sample rate?

Sorry for perhaps an obvious question.

I am responding to you on the appropriate thread.

Yes, it is offline resampling, so you will need all your files that you want to be processed to be available on your hard disk (not streamed). 

Then process them in batches and create a new library (PCM or DSD).

You should be able to run them with your Antipodes server, so you do not need an additional PC to run in real time, but just make sure Antipodes can support the rate you want to play.

PGGB upsamples or downsamples to the rate your DAC will support. Please tell us more about your DAC or email me instead.

3 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

I am responding to you on the appropriate thread.

Yes, it is offline resampling, so you will need all your files that you want to be processed to be available on your hard disk (not streamed). 

Then process them in batches and create a new library (PCM or DSD).

You should be able to run them with your Antipodes server, so you do not need an additional PC to run in real time, but just make sure Antipodes can support the rate you want to play.

PGGB upsamples or downsamples to the rate your DAC will support. Please tell us more about your DAC or email me instead.

Thank you!  I will try a trial over this weekend.

15 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

@Crwilli57Squeeze on your K50 can handle up to 768K PCM and DSD512 as of AMS 5.0. 

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256